Had this album been more popular, could it have changed hip-hop...

Had this album been more popular, could it have changed hip-hop? I've never heard any songs before that sound like Shadows, Flight of the Navigator, Earth: The Oldest Computer, Zealots of Stockholm, or even 3005.

donald pls go

it was popular as shit though, the only standout is um and its like 2 minutes

3005 was slightly popular, nothing else was.
Gambino didn't have any real musical success till Redbone.

bump

Sweatpants had some play as well as The Worst Guys

>?????????????????????????
Gambino was already a household name by the time because the internet came out. The album made it to #7 on the charts.

Okay, yeah, I completely forgot about that.
Still wasn't really popular or relevant though.
Chance the Rapper was more of a hit.

None of that is true.

OP could not be more correct. The album in question is years ahead of its time. Gambino has always had the problem of trying to be a white washed hip hop artist in a genre where people just want to hear traditional rap about drugs money and stupid shit like that. It's hard to find a market for real aritstry in one of the genres with the worst fan bases who doesn't appreciate genuine creativity and innovation. This is why he did his best to move away from the rapper image in his last release, it's his attempt to carve his own lane and shape his image away from a rapper and more of an artist.

bino just a wanna be tyler the creator. Cherry Bob out now on Itunes

that's funny because gambino is everything tyler wishes he was. He's taken seriously as an artist, Tyler is just known for riling up a bunch of high school children and convincing them to dress like it's easter all year round

I remember when that album came out the viral marketers were spamming it hard on here. And the week after it came out no one was talking about it at all lol

This is correct. "Did you know Childish Gambino is the black guy from Community" has been a meme since Heartbeat

Listened to a couple of tracks and reminds me a lot of Outkast

>Gambino has always had the problem of trying to be a white washed hip hop artist in a genre where people just want to hear traditional rap about drugs money and stupid shit like that. It's hard to find a market for real aritstry in one of the genres with the worst fan bases who doesn't appreciate genuine creativity and innovation

Kanye West is one of the most popular and influential rappers of all time. Gambino is just a whiny pretentious retard and didn't sound good rapping until STN MTN/Kauai. Black people didn't fuck with him because somewhere along the line "I feel like I'm different and alienated from other black people" became "I am different and I'm better than other black people". Donald Glover started rapping just to rap, like a nerdy kid cosplaying as their favorite superhero in a shitty low budget costume, it wasn't tell later that he wanted to be a serious artist. He also refused to immerse himself fully into hip-hop. He's black and famous, he could get features if he really wanted to but instead he had his nerdy white friends rap on tracks with him.

>He's taken seriously as an artist,
Niggas clowned the fuck out of Donald Glover's music career constantly until Atlanta and Redbone came out.

Gambino did exactly what Kanye has been struggling to do his entire career.

He's not a rapper. He's an artist with multiple careers in different industries. He's going to be in fucking Star Wars and the new Lion King, he has his own TV show, was in multiple tv shows and movies, and is branching into different genres of music.
Kanye is just a shitty rapper and a good producer who most likely doesn't make any of his own music anymore.

Any songs or albums in particular? I've only heard half of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and some of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

Where's that Thom Yorke reaction pic.

Donald Glover may have multiple careers in different industries, but that doesn't mean he's good at all of them, that nigga can not act or write.

He's accomplished more in his short time on this earth than your entire bloodline has or ever will from the dawn of man to the end of time. How does that feel?

I rather be known for nothing than being known for mediocrity.

If you listened to The Love Below then you will find Vibrate, She Lives in My Lap a little similar

I definitely hear Stankonia (the track) all over the couple of tracks i listened to :

Odd Future launched Frank Ocean, Earl Sweatshirt and Vince Staple's careers, and Tyler created OF. Nobody gives a shit about Syd, Domo or Hodgy but they are all still making music and it's really good. Also, define "taken seriously as an artist"

I'll never forgive him for leaving community. He's shit.

>pitchfork
>Odd Future launched Frank Ocean
>Vince Staples

i'll stop there, you're not worth my time

I haven't listened to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below in a long time, I don't even know if I even listened to it all the way through.

Community was shit too.

I have such a tough time getting through that album, never understood the praise.

Me too 2bh but I'm gonna relisten to it

bump

>He's taken seriously as an artist,
Girl why you Lyin girl why you mufasa

wrong though

Community is reddit incarnate.

bump

bump

bump

>16 posters
>35 replies
Trying really hard arnt we OP :^)

i guess so

Please. No one cared about Gambino until Atlanta.

Okay donald

I really like Life: The Biggest Troll