Rappers are not musicians.

Fight me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z1ybegrx7Hs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thats a photoshop btw

I mean they literally are

rappers aren't musicians unless they make their own music as well
rapping is basically just poetry set to beats and if you're only doing the lyrics then you're just a writer

yeah its cropped

Musicians are people who play instruments

Instruments are objects that produce sounds to create music

Rappers use their mouths as instruments

/thread

>rap
>music

Krist Novoselic said it's real? Anyone have a source on this?

he was trolling
he also said 2pac was in the picture

No shit. They're not musicians. They're rappers. They rap. Now if you also make beats like Kanye, I guess that makes you a musician.

>Implying

By that logic everyone who has ever existed is a musician. Animals and inanimate objects too

Life is love, life is music

Nirvana would listen to N.W.A and shit sometimes on the tour bus. Kurt liked some hip-hop/rap

biggie didn't get big until after Kurt died, also the van that kurt's in was the Melvins' touring van when he was their roadie while Nirvana was still in its very early stages

Not to mention Krist was born in fuckin' Compton

if I take a shit and rub it all over a wall somewhere, technically someone will call it art and technically I can be called a painter, but that doesn't really mean anything in the real world

Don't knock it til you try it bro

don't know if you guys are trolling or legit stupid
Ready to Die came out nearly 6 months after Kurt killed himself

oops, forgot the picture, now i just look like an angry asshole with no real proof. but now i'm an angry asshole WITH proof

>they too, use their vocals as instruments.
As MUSICAL instruments. Therein lies the distinction.

OP here, you're all fucking retarded and rappers are still not musicians

holy shit retard read his post again

dont make madlib listeners look bad again

He also listed a couple hip hop songs that he likes in his journals

To be fair, if I had the opportunity to mislead the internet into thinking that a band I was that became legendary was also hanging out with biggie and others in the rap scene who were huge at the time I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity. That shit will end up in textbooks dozens of years later because people are too lazy to double check

>singers aren't musicians

Technically, yeah, but when people say "musician" they generally mean "musical artist" and something something voice as an instrument. Point is, saying that rappers aren't "musicians" if they only write/perform lyrics is kind of silly. Traditional singers are like stringed instruments, rappers are like percussion instruments. More of an emphasis on rhythm with relatively less melodic range (with the exception of keyboard percussion instruments like xylophone/vibraphone/marimba but you get my point).

There are tons of rappers who can't rap in time because they don't understand how to subdivide rhythms. Yet, there are a load of rappers who can. Not to mention the many rappers who also know how to sing, produce and play multiple instruments. Sure, you have shitheads like Chief Keef who's a fucking retard, but that's like saying all rock is bad because of Nickleback, or that all jazz is bad because of Kenny G, or that all art-music is bad because of Danny Elfman.

OP needs to lurk more. The fact that you even say shit like this shows you don't know what goes on in the studio when hip-hop records are made. This is coming from a multi-instrumentalist who's followed hip-hop for almost a decade, played in orchestras, jazz groups and rock bands.

i see biggie appearing a lot more here on Sup Forums

that's good because he's my favorite rapper ayy

That's a slippery slope. I can take a terrence mckenna youtube video and slice it so that it's slightly rhythmic and then add it over a beat. That doesn't mean I can go do his wikipedia page and edit it to say he's a musician. Same with shit like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=z1ybegrx7Hs

Donald Trump is a musician.

Then YOU are the artist, not the person whose voice you're turning into an instrument. There's a big difference between Gil Scott Heron or Listener or whatever "spoken word" artist and someone giving a speech. Part of that has to do with content. Part to do with intent. If I hit a snare drum to communicate in Morse code, that's not really art, that's just attempting to communicate with a vehicle that can be used for art. A rhythm in a song that happens to match up with Morse code is different from that, again because of intent. And context, I suppose. I get what you're saying about drawing lines or whatever, but I think the line is easier drawn than you're admitting.

Adding to this since I just thought of it, you could argue that a speaker who engages in certain forms of rhetoric is an artist, but it's still distinct from art in a musical sense. MLK Jr. is an artist, but still disparate from Heron.

What does it mean to matter in the real world though? People don't care enough to differentiate rappers as something else because normies whatever word you wanna use just hear it as music

sure some guy could see your shit on a wall as art and museums won't take it seriously but like rappers do have concerts and go on tour and people go to it to listen to music, they don't say like "I'm going to the writers festival featuring background instrumentals" they go to have fun listen to music, do drugs (optional), probably not pay attention to exactly everything they say. Just to go and have fun as anyone would at any other concert

Technically they are, but the music they produce is low quality.