Is Super Mario Bros. the best movie based on a video game?

Is Super Mario Bros. the best movie based on a video game?

A lot of people hate it because "it's not like the video game", but that's the thing, it's a twisted cyberpunk version of the SMB universe. It has great performances by Hoskins, Leguizamo and Hopper, good music, great action scenes (I fucking love how there's sparks everywhere, mushroom kingdom is like a mix of mad max and blade runner).

The only other that I think can be considered a good adaptation and a good movie is Mortal Kombat, but I think overall SMB is the true vidya kino, and it's unfarily underrated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=od-FughI-C8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>A lot of people hate it because "it's not like the video game"
Nah nigger. Most people hate it because its fucking retarded. And only bandwagoning contrarian apologists say otherwise

>A lot of people hate it because "it's not like the video game",
I don't think that's it, I think a lot of people hate it because it's a shitty movie.

Why did you even answer to this obvious retard`s thread?

Why do you think it's a shitty or retarded movie?
I watched it against recently and it's enjoyable from beginning to end.

It's said that Leguizamo and Hoskins hated the movie and were angry or drunk all the time

Does that ever come across in the movie?

Yeah, it seems it was hell, and honestly I can see why, they're constantly running, jumping and falling, and the whole place is full of sparks and fungus. But no, it doesn't come across in the movie, I think both Hoskins and Leguizamo have great chemistry together, love their characters.
Hoskins is tied with Albano for my favorite live action Mario.

Saw it often as a kid, never thought anything was wrong with it. Thought they actually put a lot of thought into turning the game into a story. That shit was ingenious. And it's a fun movie.

I never understood the hate. I think people tried a little too hard to pretend they "hate" it because it's "so bad". It's not.

>The only other that I think can be considered a good adaptation

Silent Hill. Silent Hill is a good movie, period. It's the best adaptation by far, too. The art is great, the symbolism is potent, and it's fucking atmospheric. It's too "edgy" for normies, but it's great.

yea it was a good movie

look at the source material they had nothing to work with.

Knee jerk reactions based on what others have written.
I'll bet those faggots hated Ghostbusters 2 as well.

It is kino, that's for sure

youtube.com/watch?v=od-FughI-C8

>actual plot that's easy to follow despite many things happening over the course of the movie
>passable, even enjoyable, special effects
>memorable characters and interactions
>a cute female lead
>good performances from its leads
>Hopper giving 110% as always
>great and varied action sequences
>still good after several years

I hated the Star Wars prequels and fucking despise Zack Snyder and his shitty movies.

That in mind, I loved and still love the Mario Bros movie.

Basically they wanted a bright happy traditional Mario movie, despite that it's virtually unfilmable unless it was made by an animation company.

Instead we got a grittier reinterpretation of the source. It's even clever how they go about some of those interpretations and they're fun to spot.

The biggest irony is that the same people who loved shit like pic related were also vocal in their distaste for the movie, at least from my experience. My roommate, for example, was going on about how awful it was because it was "too edgy" with pic fucking related as his desktop background

>Silent Hill is a good movie
No.

It's fucking horrible.
Watch Jacob's Ladder instead. It's the biggest inspiration for Silent Hill and a much better film overall.

>directors from max headroom

that explains a lot. love that show too

kek I thought pestposting was dead

It's a pretty shit movie.
But that doesn't stop it from being interesting hell. The most impressive thing is that while almost every other effects filled movie from its time period now looks like shit, this movie not only looks fucking great to this day but still looks like absolutely nothing else. This movie is absolutely unique, and that's a way bigger achievement than just being good. Because let's face it, a Super Mario Bros movie was never going to be great. The best it could have been was good, and I'll take unique over just good every time.

this 6.5/10 flick is still the best video game movie ever made

prove me wrong

I'll have to disagree that it was shit. Overall it was very solid, and that's even more impressive considering how fucked production was from day one.

Even Leguizamo has looked back and said it wasn't so bad after all.

The only problem people have is that its dated (huge 90s vibe overall) and that Mario's name is on it. If it were just a post-apocalyptic sci-fi comedy about two new yorkers from 90s Earth, then it would've been a cult classic.

Don't get salty that you've been proven wrong immediately. It's by the same director.

That laser hallway was fucking great, but it's all I remember from the movie.

It's probably the most faithful for capturing the mood. There were a couple of scenes I had to double take because I wondered if there screen caps from one of the games.

Though it falls down pretty hard at the end.

Fuck off Mitch.

>Max Headroom

That shit is seriously underrated.

I liked the film, I watched it expecting a decent cyberpunk flick also considering it has a designer from Blade Runner in it, which the movie shows well.

Is this true? I got a lot of blade runner vibes from it as well

>damp city scape at night.
I"I was getting a Blade Runner vibe, yah know?"
FUCKING NORMIES LEAVEEEEEEEEEEEEE

How old are you? 15?

John Turturro would have been a better Luigi

I'm nostalgic to it scine I watched it a lot as a kid. Kind of a chore to go through, vut some so bad it's good moments save the film for me. MK Annihalation is probably my favorite so bad it's great movies, it's so batshit insane I love it.

qt as fuck Mathis

You're right OP, it's one of those movies you need to go into without expecting it to be anywhere near faithful to the source material, and only then is it actually enjoyable. The problem is that it has almost zero resemblance to the video games. I think that's why a lot of people hate it, not for its entertainment value but for its connection to Super Mario Bros. being so paper thin that it may as well not even be there.

10/10 qt would marry

Actually, there's a lot of references to the games but they're all so twisted and different that they might go over people's head. For example, Toad being a street musician who sings songs against Koopa, then he gets captured and turned into a goomba. But he's still a good guy and helps the brothers and the princess all throughout the movie.

I really liked the Ace Attorney movie.