Was going to post this in v or vg but honestly i have no experience with what they post over there so i decided to come...

was going to post this in v or vg but honestly i have no experience with what they post over there so i decided to come here since its a general question anyways

basically my problem is that im trying to play daggerfall using d-fend (dosbox) which lets you play DOS games without the hassle of having to do everything yourself
since im 1, computer illiterate
2, completely oblivious to all the lingo other forums use to explain the setup and
3, have no idea if im doing something wrong
i was wondering if anybody could explain to me in ultra simple terms how to do this shit
i downloaded one copy straight for tes wikia that had patches for quests and stuff and naturally after the setup wizard it said it couldnt open, since obiously im running an OS that is from post 2000 and need a dos emulator to play
the problem with that is when i dragged and dropped the file (not the setup wizard, im not THAT illiterate) it didnt even have a fucking exe file to run.
im at a loss Sup Forumsros, what do??

Other urls found in this thread:

elderscrolls.bethesda.net/daggerfall/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what OS are you using? if it's windows, you should be able to play it in Compatibility Mode (where your computer pretends it's using a different operating system to get it to work)

thats what one of my pals on facebook told me to do

he said run it in compat mode for windows 98 but the download i had was just for the setup wizard so idk how id do that. also, after the setup it just gave me a bunch of shortcuts

Compatibility Mode? good luck with that, dos box is a better idea for a game as buggy as dagger fall, even with real hardware and a dos operating involvement there will be crashes and weird errors, so use dos box and be patient with this little gems quirks.

also to OP if your using an original release of the game go find so patches and fixes to make it a little more stable.

i found a package copy that had a bunch of pre set patches and shit and it came with some 213 update that was supposed to make it work with d-fend but it didnt. i dragged and dropped and it said it contained no executable file, which is weird because how the hell is the game supposed to work then lol

wait no that was the last copy i got. this one is the same thing with the pre made patches except this one had me go through a setup wizard just to say it couldnt open (of course) and then gave me a bunch of shortcuts that appeared within my downloaded files that arent essential to playing the game at all i dont think

dang, everybody left me. thats no fun

there is a modular framework as part of the games structure so just because a patch might not seem to be a essential for play, bat file patches that alter and over right installed code will need to be run if you have acquired stability patches. what version of the game are you wanting to use?

lol faggot
get dosbox

I already recommended dos box here,

this one is mine

i didnt know there were more than one

fuck me, i dont even remember where i downloaded it from. i think freeroms but idek

there's is a floppy release a CD version and a direct download with patches already applied by Bethesda themselves, the floppy and the CD versions have different numbers depending on their release dates as fixes were made. dagger fall is a very buggy game from a time before the internet was widely used

elderscrolls.bethesda.net/daggerfall/

get this version and dosbox and you should be okay to go.

if i have d-fend will i be able to just drag and drop like i did with arena?

I don't know I never played Arena, I played daggerfall after Morrowind. I had a hell of a time getting dagger fall to work and when I did I struggled with the control system so I can't help you all that much one your running the game, and yes I'm a faggot who died in privateers hold.Might go back to dagger fall at some point but at the moment a little busy to play games.

do you have like a basic knowledge on how to set up games through dos? i try to understand the guide bethesda gives but its all nonsense to me since i kinda got a late start to the whole emulation thing

Sorry for the shitty spelling I'm doing multiple things at once. lol.

I have a basic knowledge of DOS, I started with PC in the windows ME era so I've used DOS for stuff but in a windows shell. the emulator is pretending to be DOS so run any setup programs from within Dos Box and configure the program form within the emulator for the best results.

Good luck OP I have to step out, I hope you enjoy dagger fall.