Who the fuck in the right mind would use this?

Who the fuck in the right mind would use this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xL_LH6aPU_4&t=3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People who don't trust pirated copies of windows and either can't afford or don't want to pay for a legitimate copy of windows.

People who wish their less powerful hardware could be a little faster than it is on windows.

The bold, the fearless, those who are willing to take risks on their computation devices.

Well, I earn a fuck load of money by using this, so smart guys?

Penguin fuckers

people who enjoy bash and bash related accessories more than directx

Programmers

People who think an increase in accessable hardware power is relevant when you have nothing to use that hardware power on. Hipster chicks really.

Computer elitists/hipsters who hate Windows and want to feel superior using their heavily bugged OS.
>I use Ubuntu, I am haxor
>I spent 35 minutes installing Arch Linux
>Drivers are a complete pain in the ass
>You use Windows? Huehuehuehue
>who needs a mouse when I have a terminal?

Heterosexuals? Hackers? The poor? People earning lots of money. It's a broad user base

You mean you're incompetent.

pseudo hackers and poor people

i mean its free and open source ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair enough, although I don't understand what makes it better for programming than anything else. Care to enlighten me?

same reason people choose DIY kits at the home depot. people like doing it themselves but cant be bothered to do EVERYTHING from scratch. #EmbraceTheOpenSource

You can get a ton of the programming software you need for need for free.

Do to the fact linux is free you can setup lots of computers and VM's without having to buy and manage a bunch of install licences/keys. Linux handles systems with multiple users running programs at the same time very well.

While this is somewhat subjective BASH is seems to be the most well designed shell. You see people trying to port BASH like functionality into windows but you don't see windows style shell get ported into linux much.

Also in linux the hardware devices are mostly accessed from user land via file descriptors, which can be chained with clever bash usage to achieve very useful results.

People who like to feel safe on their own computer?

simple updates of repositories for various languages. With Windows, you have to tweak everything or install patches just to get stuff like python to run. Where as with Linux it's just plug and play. Plus the terminal allows for much greater control of the system.

I ended up switching to *nix for those reasons, plus the fact that one of the Windows 10 updates broke my wireless capabilities - not just removed the driver, like broke the handshake or something.

Occasionally I need XP for some programming on retro hardware, but other than that it's been great!

I can also run most distos on all the shit-tier hardware I have lying around.

This.
>install cyborg hawk (ubuntu based)
>everything is fine
>now for some reason the sound is so fucking bugged I can't turn it off, or else I have to reinstall the audio drivers, restart the thing, and then sound works normally
>Now I can't even see my wallpaper or items on my background, it's fucking bugged
>installs kali on other laptop
>what a suprise, no fucking sound, and it lags horribly
fuck me. I hate linux and all the fags that screech how good it is. Pro tip; the GOV already has hardware backdoors
Protip 2: anything you can do with 1000000 linux commands you can do with a right click of the mouse in windows
>b-but my lightweight server
XAMPP, faggots. At worst, just find a craigslist add for non working old computers, salvage the OS key from them, or post that you're looking for them. You can get them dirt cheap.
Windows 7 is best OS, linux fags can suck a fat cock.

I just prefer the command line to GUI's tbh.

>Who the fuck in the right mind would use this?

I'd use it daily if Adobe would support Illustrator and Photoshop on it. Fuck Microsoft and fuck Apple.

Free
Portable (USB, seedy)
Runs on literally anything (Pic related)

You have to do even more to get Linux to run properly, especially if you want a fuck tonne of customization and basic programs to use (like a IDE, document maker for things like office, etc) and i have had wayyy more driver issues with linux than I ever did with windows.
Snowden showed about the hardware based backdoors, and vault 7 showed how they fuck with repos to install their own backdoors, even when it looks like it's from official servers. Don't be a retard.
There's more free and opensourced high quality programming projects on windows both IDE's, and Notepad ++ is a gem, I would know, I've programmed on both.
Point about the OS keys I will agree with, however, of course linux users would prefer their shell over windows, so they'd want to use it vs windows.. and lastly, I don't even get what you're trying to say. EZ to make RAT, you mean?
Probably the most real answer. Kudos.

Sounds like a problem with alsamixer fam. Try running it and make sure you haven't muted it by accident. If that doesn't work try running apt - - reinstall install alsamixer. If that doesn't work it's probably a hardware issue.

it is a problem with alsamixer, I installed it and it gave me all those issues. Here's a screenshot of it, while it's working, see anything I could change?
Also, the sound on it was perfectly fine, until I installed ALSA.

bump
I agree, fuck both of those companies, and why don't you use WINE to run it?
What a sadomasochist.

Your settings look fine. Try purging the generic alsa drivers and installing Linux-backports-modules-alsa.

Just a masochist actually.

your speaker is musted. ALSA is always installed, it's the underlying Linux sound system used pretty much by ever distro -- what do you mean you installed it?

Install pavucontrol and check if the sound is going to the correct output channel and set the default one, in case you are using PulseAudio on top.

You are a dumb retard.

> Snowden showed about the hardware based backdoors, and vault 7 showed how they fuck with repos to install their own backdoors, even when it looks like it's from official servers. Don't be a retard.

Of course. Because opening your asshole to every hobo on the street and screaming FUCK ME (using Windows) is comparable to exploiting a really hard attack vector (DNS poisoning/fake repositories). Idiot. Security and privacy is not yes or no, it's a scale -- and you start at 0 with Windows.

> There's more free and opensourced high quality programming projects on windows both IDE's, and Notepad ++ is a gem, I would know, I've programmed on both.

Maybe in absolute terms. Not sure what you are even arguing -- of course there would be more software for a more popular OS?

Thanks user

Im running linux KDE because
>Its a lot ore customizeable then windows
>a LOT better privacy
>Very rare to get viruses or malicious files
>Comes with a TON of free applications youd otherwise have to pay for on Windows
>Better features
>better eye candy
>learn how to use a computer, not just browse one

>cyborg hawk
>Kali

So your trying to pentest but can't even into the most prolific and flexible OS on the planet? How are you planning to crack anything if you can't use the command line? Some UI elements fail and you just throw in the fucking towl?

Have you tried PlayOnLinux? It's not native support like you want but I use it to run Microsoft™ Office™ 2010™™™ without any problems (need it for the equation editor for lab papers).
Thats bullshit. Their really about the same, except Linux has native support
How to Install Python on debian based *nix
>1. Add repo
>2. Install with whatever dependencies
>3. Install pip
>4. ???
>5. Profit
Python 3.4 comes by default in most Ubuntu builds as well. Where you can also get a Python IDE from the graphical software center.

How to Install Python on Windows 10
>1. Download then install python for windows
>2. Edit Environment variables in advanced settings
>3. Install python dev enviroment (say eclipse)

More os control. Its more flexible to do more cool shit in.

for example:
>be me
>get very old computer
>bootsec gets corrupted
>cant mount hdd with windows but can with usb live linux
>boots up linux from usb
>mount currupted drive
>Rebuild bootsec
>Fixed.

Underated post

The reason I love it to is because I always have my OS with me. There are computers everywhere and with USB boot I don't have to ever worry about customizing an OS to my liking again, I just carry a small flashdrive.

Yea im on Manjaro KDE rn and i didnt know a lot about using the command prompt or how a computer works before hand. After struggling through the install and other features with some hiccups i feel so good that i pushed through. It was very rewarding and now i feel i have a good understanding of how computers work. I would switch back between Windows and Linux and then my windows stopped working so i only use Linux now.

Im just having some issues downloading my NordVPN and Kodi on Linux but hopefully i can resolve that soon.. though its quite the challenge.

#roasted

Hacking and security things.

Yea but where do you keep all your files? Surely your "customizaeables" take up more than 2gb of space. Im running Manjaro KDE but how would i "carry it around" like you do

Who the fuck in the right mind would use Win10 and google?

whats the red one?

Never tried to install Kodi on Kali, but isn't Kali debian based? Can you just add the repo and install?

I felt the same way, I even took a class on Unix and still struggled with Linux in the beginning. I've found it very rewarding however. I remember my first three installs had to be wiped and redone because I kept breaking things... now I can install a fresh OS from scratch and set it up to my liking in about 45-60 min.

>2gb
Debian based distros can be installed with persistence. I use a program called Mkusb that does it for you, although it can be done manually. Basiclly it creates another partition called 'casper-rw' which allows for the stored data. IDK about Manjoro, but Ubuntu and it's clones can do it easily. If you use MSUSB as the file system though you are limited to 1TB.

bsd

Yea my vpn are only used fr ubuntu/debian based OS, Manjaro KDE is Arch based.

I like Manjaro a lot because it has rolling updates, a feature that im very fond of. Problem with it is its not very popular so not everything is compatible with it, but its gaining really quickly and is considered one of the top ones right now.

I dont think Manjaro automatically creates paritions but i created my own anyways. One of them was a back up incase i wanted to try out a different distro.Ive been using it for about a month and a half now but i still consider myself a noob with Linux so i wouldnt know exactly how to switch distros without losing any data, not that i want to switch right now.

I don't have a lot of experience with Arch based distros, but I'm sure there is a way. Just search around for it. As for Kodi, you could always dual boot your USB with OpenELEC, make a virtual environment for it, or have a USB just for it.

Good idea, thanks for this.

>Im running linux KDE because
>>Its a lot ore customizeable then windows
>>a LOT better privacy
>>Very rare to get viruses or malicious files
>>Comes with a TON of free applications youd otherwise have to pay for on Windows
>>Better features
>>better eye candy
>>learn how to use a computer, not just browse one
Lol faggot post you desktop big boy sissy cuck

i hear that often, "learn how to use a computer"

but what does that even mean? Do you just feel smarter for using the command line often or something? My experience with ubuntu at least was almost identical to mac os

Ubuntu is a very basic OS. Its pretty much plug and play. There is little you have to do to download or customize the OS itself. Im using a lesser known distro and a lot of the things i do require me to be knowledgeable about partitioning my hard drives, dual booting my system, using the command prompt to download certain programs (which kind of forces me to read up on how different commands work in the command prompt) and just little things that most people wouldnt know existed or think twice about.

Ive spent a lot of time reading about how OS actually work and what an action from the user might be telling the OS to do. Its kind of confusing to explain and understand.

Personally i dont like Ubuntu because of the way it looks, it was kinda just annoying for me. I recommend you give a different distro a chance before throwing away linux completely

people who want privacy

Deal

Programmers too poor to afford Macs
>Servers run on Linux
>Programmers interface with server via Mac bc 100% unix

>What is OS X

Computer hipsters? That's like saying Cool Furry, or fashionable brony.

Smart people who want to learn, safe, runs fast, no issues with a computer. People who need servers and people who want to work on them servers oLol hipsters no real men
This is true but left off Real Men
LOL servers don't run in Mac. No server admin uses a Mac. Only Mac prgrammers use Mac. Linux can do it all. Beyond your understanding.

>windows both IDE's, and Notepad ++ is a gem
Look at this fag not using vim.

From a guy just entering into Biomedical informatics I can give you a quick rundown (started on Windows while I waited 3 weeks for company MBP to arrive)
1. Windows is a pain in the ass to use for command line bc full pathway for everything
2. Windows (despite getting an ass ton of viruses) works an annoying amount of effort to protect you from yourself. Installing most freeware for science stuff is a PAIN. For a fucking r package I had to copy an installed version folder and put it on my HD. Couldn't write to the destination despite having local admin privileges. For comparison I had everything installed in 15 mins on the new Mac and did the work I tried to do for 3 weeks on the windows in 3 hours
3. Bash is bae
4. Having a free (as in speech) work environment is priceless
5. If you go mac most useful languages are built into the OS. Though they maybe out of date/version (*cough* python*cough*). Being able to out of the box do the work you need to is priceless
6. Most science shit is built for Linux due to free (speech and beer) environment and servers. Any compatibility issues with os are much easier to fix than with Windows.

There are actual people with boring life that don't use Windows because they might spy on them, why the fuck are they concerned, nobody gives a fuck about them, someone explain, as I literally know these claims that some people don't use Windows because they could be spied on...

This
Also it's nice that there's Microsoft equivalent for Linux/Unix if you want a packaged experience

>conducting an important presentation in front of an entire room of professionals.
>in middle of presentation when windows forces me to reboot and spends 30 minutes to update
>mfw

People who get tired off defrag every weekend and format every 6 months because winshit becomes a snail.
But I still keep windows for games and every time I turn it on I feel like I'm dumbing my PC down to some xbox level.
Also xfce > any winshit environment. I would get nuts if I had to do my assignments without multiple desktops. All them reference papers.

People who don't want the US gov to actively spy on them. People who don't want to have a retarded OS which rapes them with updates.

>Anything with right click
Yeah but when you have a data frame of 221,517 genes of 47 organisms selecting data sucks ass. It's also large files if you run through exce.
When I finish 47 organisms I'm doing 5,000 and then 50,000
If we assume each organism has approx 4,680 genes (rows) {4-5 columns}
Then I will have 23,400,000 and 234,000,000 rows respectively
Right click doesn't scale linearly
Your concept of computer use is severely limited

>being salty at Apple
It's branded UNIX tied to a consumer electronics brand

Holy shit
Ur dumb
Name IDE that's amazing not available
I'll w8

Assuming the build of *nix doesn't have built in lang it's the exact same effort to begin as windows >Google search "program name" install. Follow instructions
The *nix ones are always easier for science shit fam

>Getting this triggered while reading a post made for retards to understand
No shit server admins don't run on Macs
Where did you read that?

Not all programing requires Linux because budget limits. The place I work for is in the works of acquiring a supercomputer because data loads.
Everything we do that requires "100% hardware use" we ship off to our server which currently dies when we load over 1% of our data into it bc memory limit
Shit most the programing we do is done in sublime and bash

>Hardware backdoor
It's too late. If they want in they will
Don't let that be a factor in your os choice

I'm sure you are trolling.
\However, I will bite.

On the desktop, you have a point. I run several Linux desktops at home, and by and large it's a pain. My music studio machine is stable, works well, runs Renoise and a whole bunch of other software, and I love it. However, I wouldn't trust anyone who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool, old time computer expert to run it.

Then again, in server space, cloudy or otherwise, and in the space of network appliances like routers and wireless endpoints, or in the newly emerging IoT, or in smartphones, or instruments or any number of other embedded appliances, some brand of Unix is pretty much the only way to go. It's been that way for probably more years than you have been alive.

Multiple desktops is amazing

It's really the main reason I stick with Ubuntu.
Then there is no speed loss over time and my ability to tell all the updates to fuck off. The latter is possible on windows but it is much more hassle.

>equation editor in Microsoft Word

Just learn latex. You'll need it if you do anything technical, unless you like to waste time and come off like a total retard.

There's an equation editor in libre office and in wps office.

i guess if all you do day to day is browse the internet it doesnt make a difference

Kek
Is that you, lain?
Thanks for the tip about the audio, and while yes windows more prone to viruses, if you are not going around and saying fuck me, you won't get a virus. I've used windows longer than Linux, and I've never had a virus or such do any harm to my computer...
and my point was about *security* that such vulnerabilities exist that the government knows about, and so do higher level hackers.
I've used many before, but stating the most glaring issues I've had. I've also had issues with other pentesting OS's, like Parrot Security. Black Arch always worked really well, but needing to have ethernet when you install, can be a pain, or sometimes not an option..
They could also use opensource software like Libreoffice...

I'm rolling for a thread that already 404ed ignore this.

Sick dubs!

So are yours, might fine indeed.

i do

nice

Software developers / IT-consultants like me

I do happily.

>be me 16 years old , 10 years ago
>finding new ways to customize windows after fromat
>i don't know how but i installed ubuntu thinking it was a skin
>da fuk is this
>da fuk is that
>how the fuck I install programs
>eventually learn to used after two weeks
>sad beacuse shitty game i played could not be installed in Linux

Fast forward to present, i'm a software engineer and i have been using linux almost all the time. I don't even have Windows even though i can get it free.

Linux is just for the smart and scientist, dindus will not like it. Dindus cant handle something that is different.

Linux is the biggest collaborative software of our age, made by thousand of smart ass. There is not comparable to the level of collaboration we have achieve. Puff microsoft windows is just a company product.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Nope. I don't know who that is.

yea exactly, Vim is better thar anything.

b8

this pasta had to show up at some point

Yeah, anyone with that pasta on hand knows lain.

youtube.com/watch?v=xL_LH6aPU_4&t=3s

Gabby
May

Software I write runs on Linux servers
Developing it on Linux makes life a bit easier

Don't talk about muh sikrut club around the normies.