I can't really take most metal I've heard seriously. something about it feels like a put on...

i can't really take most metal I've heard seriously. something about it feels like a put on, and so I have trouble connecting to the aggression underneath the facade of the aesthetic / style itself. I know this is vague, but I'm looking for some aggressive metal music that isn't corny. subjective, but if anyone has a similar hangup but has some recs, that would be great

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMVSQVn97es
youtube.com/watch?v=-eUVubC7ojM
youtube.com/watch?v=nB_tGab-t0g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAJDAndJWA
youtube.com/watch?v=cnVRuH4vJWg
youtube.com/watch?v=PZKPpeuHvJk
youtube.com/watch?v=OAlJYyyK_1s
youtube.com/watch?v=dRALVAFiKw0
youtube.com/watch?v=YL4xRBaU9LI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCGSYJXHzLI
youtube.com/watch?v=7a33Rmh8m_Y
youtu.be/FADd5rAznOc
youtube.com/watch?v=Srkm5oWFwiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=h46uEUAAM6E
youtube.com/watch?v=hhu63xr-QL0
youtube.com/watch?v=BAyasxPYTHM
youtube.com/watch?v=wQx-yQJT1h8&list=PLLpzyJIIBElZMYJcPJbu9SXyOcTfWRXHY&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=rd-sCoL6VmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=472Qh4l1pFU
youtube.com/watch?v=pxPSygSH2v0
youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The cheesiness is what makes it good though, I think you might be retarded

That's not the type of album I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the type of metal that takes itself more seriously. I can appreciate some good kitsch in context

How are you defining "aggressive" and how are you defining "corny"?

All metal is aggressive to some extent. And corniness is completely subjective and could mean a number of different things. So you're going to have to be more specific.

same desu, kinda why most (not all though) of the metal i have is either doom or either stuff that falls under the "experimental/avant-garde/whatever" umbrella

like don't get me wrong, i can appreciate heavy or aggressive music just fine, but it's kinda hard to get into stuff that's nothing but non-stop blast beats and some guy in need of a throat lozenge yelling about the same sort of imagery that metalheads have thought is Super Badass And Edgy for ~40 years now

I know this post was vague, it's hard to put my finger on what I'm looking for because I haven't really found it yet. I can relate to the user under you. I can get into harsh music, but for some reason I can't get into this genre.

The thing is, I can relate to certain emotions conveyed in music having experienced them myself. But when I feel angry or aggressive, I've never felt the need to let out the kind of guttural throat screams found in a lot of metal music. So for me it feels like an affect rather than a genuine expression of aggression.

any recs?

So you want heavy stuff without harsh vocals? Theres plenty of that out there too. If you want some recommendations be more specific with the kind of sound you're looking for.

if you want fag metal, down the hall and to the left

Not necessarily.
The vocals on this death grips are agonized and angry but they feel like they're coming from a real place.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMVSQVn97es

It might be a performance, but it's convincing.

I'll try out anything, if you have the time and wanna share something you like, post it m88

not him but I like this album a lot and I don't really listen to much metal (not anymore, at least)

youtube.com/watch?v=-eUVubC7ojM

the doom stuff or the other stuff or both?

I'd appreciate both, I'm open ears

>screaming nigger man

okay besides killing yourself, you would like hardcore punk more than metal

youtube.com/watch?v=nB_tGab-t0g

this is pretty bad

As other anons have said; not exactly sure what it is you're describing. Early dillinger escape plan, converge, and mastodon are pretty fuckin rad though.

>being this bad at recs

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAJDAndJWA

>being this bad at saying i just want another screaming nigger man

Look more screamy nigger men

youtube.com/watch?v=cnVRuH4vJWg

you're dense

Favorite DEP song

>being angry online

I don't think my most aggressive records are metal desu. I listen to metal for thicc guitars and such things.

Here are some pretty diverse sounding songs that I think sound 'convincing'.

If you don't like any of them thats cool too, but I would just recommend keeping an open mind. Metal is a vast genre full of all kinds of sounds and its not all edgy or corny.

youtube.com/watch?v=OAlJYyyK_1s

youtube.com/watch?v=dRALVAFiKw0

youtube.com/watch?v=YL4xRBaU9LI

>being autistic

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCGSYJXHzLI

Meant to link this one instead of baroness twice

youtube.com/watch?v=7a33Rmh8m_Y

Yeah, I know Vektor is memed to hell, but they're honestly very good.
youtu.be/FADd5rAznOc

Have you tried to stop being a numale?

It's because it's mostly all just shit

it's all edgy bullshit

here try this: youtube.com/watch?v=Srkm5oWFwiQ it's called Punk it's what Metalheads should have been but they never matured past 16

>tfw not autistic enough to dismiss entire genres and can enjoy them all
feels pretty good

Best feel, user.

There's great metal, there's metal I absolutely love. Even in the darker and experimental genre's.

But it's mostly shit. It's not the worst, it's not like modern country music or something, but man Metal is so non-progressive outside of a eight of nine artists now-a-days. I used to be into it when I was younger, then I just got tired of listening to the same things. The same "darkness", the same ambiguous dark lyrics that some goth kid could have written on a bathroom stall. What's worse is goth as a genre even evolved in it's subgenre's into new and interesting sounds like all the pop punk and pop art stuff we have today. Metal has just gone into it's own asshole instead of branching into new genre's. It's just a downward pit of angsty teenager level lyrics about darkness and despair, the same compositions, the same breakdowns, the same arrangements, the same general idea, across sub-genre's.

It's just one of the slowest moving, least progressive, least giving genre's alive today.

This is a very ignorant position.

>Woah bois he still goin' at it

Maybe some recs from my own personal favorites:
Enter shikari
Five finger death Punch
Slipknot
Sabaton
Korn
Finntrol
That's a pretty variated list of artists in the metal subgenres,maybe you'll find your Sound...

yeah

>But when I feel angry or aggressive, I've never felt the need to let out the kind of guttural throat screams found in a lot of metal music.
Really guttural vocals are more about being as heavy and brutal as possible and not so much aggression. That doesn't mean they can't be used that way, though.

Anyway, here's my recs:
youtube.com/watch?v=h46uEUAAM6E
youtube.com/watch?v=hhu63xr-QL0
youtube.com/watch?v=BAyasxPYTHM
youtube.com/watch?v=wQx-yQJT1h8&list=PLLpzyJIIBElZMYJcPJbu9SXyOcTfWRXHY&index=2

>metal is bad because its edgy bullshit
>suggests punk instead

as if numales don't proxy their masculinity with music, I'll listen to pretty princess harp music if I want to fag

If you want a genuine expression of anger then listen to screamo or someshit, cause that's what genuine anger sounds like: it's grating, incoherent, and ridiculous.
Shit, actually, just take the public transportation and wait for a mom to come in with her 2 y-o kids. They'll start screaming at the top of their lungs because they just shat themselves and can't do anything about it; that's genuine fucking anger, that's an authentic expression of frustration, despair, hatred and disgust. That's what you want. And it's fucking annoying.

The closest music gets to "WAAAAH WAAAAAH WAAAAH I JUST SHAT MY PANTS", the closer it is to a genuine, primal expression of anger.

But that's not what metal is going for. Metal goes for a romanticized, theatrical expression of aggressiveness. Metal musicians take themselves seriously in the same sense an actor takes his craft seriously. Complaining that Metal doesn't sound like genuine anger is like complaining that Mad Max 4 isn't realistic enough. Mad Max 4 isn't supposed to be realistic. Does that mean you're supposed to laugh at it, or that the people who made it don't take their work seriously? Fuck no it doesn't. Same goes for a decent metal album.

It's seriously fucking baffling that people complain about metal "feeling like a put-on", like, when you go watch Nightmare on Elm Street, do you go "Are these filmmakers seriously expect me to believe that a kid exploded into a fountain of blood because a nightmare monster dismembered him in his dreams? What a bunch of phonies! Imma watch a real snuff film!"

You're looking for angry music not metal.
youtube.com/watch?v=rd-sCoL6VmQ

fair point in some ways. but I still prefer actors who put on convincing performances

Punk is the same edgy bullshit but with people who can't play their instruments

You're probably right. I fell out of love with it when i was in highschoool and now I'm 25 and when you get to 25 you start defending what you know and hating what you don't know because liking new things is effort and Metal just kind of let me down as a genre when I was a kid because when I was into it metalcore was the biggest thing.

I listen to like wolf eyes, deafhaven, and so i watch you from afar - that kind of stuff. But most of it idk It just reminds me of my school day's and it brings back bad memories it's like shit there are band recs in this very thread that sound EXACTLY like the acts I was listening to in highschool 8 years ago.

I've become so disenchanted with the genre

i'm probably wrong though

Everyone in Mad Max 4 put on a convincing performance.
Because it doesn't take place in a realistic setting, it takes place in a fantastical universe where the hammier the performance is, the more convincing it is, because it fits the general tone.

Same shit goes for metal: if a metal singer starts yelling like he would when he's genuinely angry, it sounds out-of-place, ridiculous and unconvincing.

progressiveness only matters if you really care about novelty value.
There's more to music than innovation.

As long as metal bands can write catchy riffs, innovation is superfluous.

Metal has become an extremely diverse genre. Obviously there will still be a strong element of darker stuff there, but thats part of what makes it metal. Its the same way country music is the new pastoral, and 'the simple life' is a part of its genre now.

Metal today is really different from metal even 5 years ago. I honestly hear more about cosmic dreamscapes and metaphysical abstracts than I do about edgy muh darkness stuff these days.

>I'm looking for some aggressive metal music that isn't corny
Well then you're shit out of luck unless you drop your insecure mindset because Sup Forums will have pretty much everyone conditioned that all expressions of anger are edgy and corny.

I guess you could check out Primordial? Pretty real shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=472Qh4l1pFU
youtube.com/watch?v=pxPSygSH2v0

Definitely disagree. Innovation is important, it's what keeps the genre interesting. I mean solid riffs and atmosphere are cool but part of the reason I listen to new albums is that I hope they're trying something new.

Yeah boy I sure do love listening to nothing but cover bands for 40 years.

My biggest problem with most metal is the production. I think the tone on the guitars/bass/drums on a lot of albums is awful. I get its deliberately produced that way by I hate it.

innovation is only as important as how quickly you get bored of something specific, and how long it takes for you to stop being bored of it.

That's why most people can simply go through their whole lives listening to maybe 200 very similar songs at most, without ever feeling the need for something different. They just don't get bored of stuff easily. They don't need variety.

Besides, you would only need metal to progress if you made a solemn oath to ONLY listen to metal. Cause in those conditions you wouldn't be allowed to listen to other genres.

So really, metal itself doesn't need progression. Only metal fans who hate everything else but are getting bored of metal need it to progress.

Shitloads of people pretty much do that. You're the anomaly if you don't.

>why is metal so loud and aggressive and wont cater to my autistic specific needs

metal is a no normies allowed genre, metal heads dont want to be popular, being popular would mean normies ruin and water down metal.

You seem like an idiot op, a vague idiot

Right music doesn't need to progress at all.

That's why everyone is still content listening to neanderthals bashing rocks together. And don't get me started and Gregorian chants, they're way too out there.

there's an immense variety of production styles in metal though.

Yeah because Burzum's Filosofem, Judas Priest's Screaming for vengeance and Kontinuum's Kyrr pretty much all sound the same.

How come we can all rightfully agree that anyone who refers to "electronic" as a genre is a braindead fuckwit but mouthbreathers still think they can refer to "metal" as a genre?

muh secret club

That's why I said most.
>I can't read but am getting upset at others for my own disabilities

anyone can listen to metal if they want, hardly sekrit club

>no normies allowed genre
>don't want it to be popylar
Jesus titty fucking christ you are delusional

Honestly we're getting pretty close to bashing rocks together. The 4/4 A major pop formula just works better than pretty much everything else and I don't put it past cavemen to come up with it. Only a minimal amount of variation is required, and even then it's usually for marketing purposes more than for artistic intent.

Really, only weirdos need anything else.

I can read just fine. I understood your expression of utter idiocy quite well.

>I don't like the way a lot of this sounds
>WAAAAH HOW DARE YOU SAY IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME

You actually can't.

Its true, in the old back metal scene they would throw a rotted pig corpse into the crowd and spray people with blood and the normies would leave.

The worst thing for metal heads is if it got corrupted by pop music and posers.

>WAAAAAH WHY DOES THE PRODUCTION OF METAL SOUND ALL THE SAME DESPITE PRODUCTION VARYING VASTLY BETWEEN DIFFERENT GENRES
Neck yourself you tard.

Black Sabbath was sometimes advertised as a pop band.

You have a reading disability

metal is a bit weird for me

there are albums i love but other albums within the same genre or subgenre or whatever, that i'll be recommended or find on my own, will do absolutely nothing for me

it seems to come down to little preferences in the sound that are hard to describe, and the line can be pretty fine

like you i need to keep away from shit that comes off corny, but also can't bear the technical/lyrical masturbation that takes itself way too seriously.

my only recommendation is to suffer through the trial and error of sifting through the shit for the gold.

i know this was a useless ass post kek

Are you trolling? Nobody can actually be this dumb.

Let me try to use an analogy even a simpering retard like yourself can understand

If I say I don't like a lot of ice cream flavours, I'm not saying all ice cream tastes the same, I'm just saying there are a lot of flavours I don't like. Does that make sense?

I understand what you're saying, I'm telling you what you're saying is fucking stupid, you illiterate gobshite. There's about as much variation in production when it comes to metal as any other area of music, if not more so. Your issue is not with "metal production" (whatever the fuck that is supposed to be, but with your ears.

>Ice Cream has lots of flavours, so you can't dislike a lot of them!

sad.

Alright, you meming fuck. Explain specifically what is it about the mastering of the drumms/bass in "metal" that puts you off.

I don't care for how flat and cheap a lot of it sounds. A lot of metal records sound like the same tone I could get out of a 100 dollar line 6 spider.

On top of that a lot of it sounds 'dirty' but not in the 'distorted' sense, more in that DIY Punk sense. Which I realize is intentional, but I personally don't like that sound with music where a big focus is on tight playing of fast melodies and intricate riffs.

Does this satisfy your requirements mr triggered? Or are you going to explain how my taste in ice cream is wrong.

You just described strawberry and cherry flavoured icecream and said "most ice icream taste like this and that's why I fucking hate icecream". I wouldn't expect anything less from a mouthbreather who can only think of food analogies though.

More like I described fruit flavoured ice cream, which makes up a substantial, if not majority portion of the ice cream world.

And the reason I had to resort to food analogies is because I'm talking to someone who has the reading comprehension of a 1st grader.

Perhaps I should have used tendies, maybe that would get through your autistic skull.

sounds like me desu

>More like I described fruit flavoured ice cream
More like you listened to a grand total of 3 metal albums and clearly have no fucking idea of the overall thrends in mastering when it comes to mdoern metal but you feel like you have to express your shitty opinion anyway.

Holy shit you're so autistic its incredible. And now you're moving the goalposts to 'overall trends in modern metal' because I said I personally don't like the production on a lot of metal albums.

You are actually having a tantrum over a different opinion. This is amazing.

wow OP, just the right amount of ingredients in your b8 to brew up some piping autist soup

>describes the polar opposite of what is common on most modern metal releases and says "this is what most metal sounds like"
>only response when being pointed this out is "GOSH UR FUCKING STUPID N ILLITERATE AND AUTISTIC IS JUST MY OPINION BRO ICE CREAM DUDE"

Except you are actually having a tantrum. I never said "modern metal" either I was talking about the genre as a whole. Which doesn't matter because you're probably one of those guys who says "_____ isn't real metal" anyways. You got so rectally ragnaroked from the very beginning so your brain shortcircuited and I had to dumb down what I was saying to ice cream metaphors so you could understand, and you're still so upset you don't grasp whats being said.

Get some air. Go for a walk. Have a coffee or a tea and then come back and try posting like a rational adult when you're cooled off.

Try Mgła. They're fairly entry level black metal but they don't have any of the Lord of the Rings / Satanic / Pagan cheesiness of other black metal bands. They don't use keyboards which could reasonably be construed as cheesy. But they also play some really interesting riffs and create some interesting textures.

>I never said "modern metal"
So all you did was bring up a completely irrelevant point as to why you don't like metal?
>I don't like driving because cars are really fucking slow, can only do like 10 miles per hour. I mean why not just fucking walk?
>OH MY GOD OBVIOUSLY I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT MORDERN CARS YOU TARD
You're pretty much reinforcing my assumption of you being some clueless fuckwit who listened to around 10 metal releases back from the 80s and thinking he's in any position to be expressing his opinion
>you're probably one of those guys who says "_____ isn't real metal"
So now you're resorting to shitty baseless strawmen to save the argument you never had?

I do like metal. I even like metal with production I don't particularly care. You are the one who is resorting to strawmen, thats what you've done from the very beginning of this conversation, and I will explain why again.

You are triggered. You are triggered by someone on an anonymous anglo-saxon tapestry looming sharing an opinion he didn't like so rather than ignoring it or engaging in a civil discussion you immediately jump down their throat and head straight to insults. Because you don't care about having a discussion or even changing people's minds. You took an opinion on a part of a genre of music as a personal insult and you feel some need to lash out in anger because of it.

Its really quite sad desu.

>u mad, shitty memes and more shitty memes, the post
Your opinion is completely out of base with where the "genre" (metal is about as much a genre as electronic) is and I am in a decent enough poisition to call you an idiot for that. If you don't like hostility directed towards you when speaking complete rubbish you can go back to redd.it and take your post spacing with you.

Why are you getting so upset that someone has an opinion you don't share?

>MUH REDDIT
>MUH MEMES
>YOUR PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE OPINION IS WRONG BECAUSE IT TRIGGERS ME

Holy shit kek

Why are you getting upset because someone is pointing out that your opinion is completely out of touch with reality and retarded, and therefore should stop parading it?

>I don't like _______
> YOU'RE SO DELUDED HOW COULD SOMEONE BE SO WRONG

HAHAHAHA

>I don't like _______
Except your original post was complaining about lo-fi garage-punk tier production being doming in most metal. Which yes, is absolutely deluded and wrong.

>D-don't talk shit about metal kid if you know whats good for you

Except it wasn't.
>My biggest problem with most metal is the production. I think the tone on the guitars/bass/drums on a lot of albums is awful. I get its deliberately produced that way by I hate it.

Now we get back into the "You can't fucking read" part of the argument.

youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk

is this okay?

>y-you can't read!
>clearly makes the implication of what I said in the quoted post and then directly states that's the case in
Bravo.

Yes, you asked me for an example of what I don't like and I gave one to you. That doesn't mean if it doesn't fall into that mold I'm in love with the production.

Are you suffering from short term memory loss? Is that the cause of your reading difficulties?

And more importantly, why does this trigger you so much? Why do you feel that any minute complaint is a slap in the face to "metal" as a "genre" that you must defend the honour of?

>Why are you arguing with me!?!?
I don't know, why are you? Why are you so desperate to defend your shitty, clearly wrong opinion that even you yourself are having a hard time following?

>Opinions can be wrong

Here we go again.

>I don't like thing
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE