Scaruffi's Blackstar review

>this is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.
>bowie crooning melodramatic in lazarus
>dollar days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining

I understand not liking the album or the music, but did he not understand that Bowie was dying of cancer while making the album? Because calling the art of a dying man, "melodramatic" and "trivial" makes him look like a complete ignorant asshole. *The fact that* he put quotation marks around "music" is the epitome of his pretentiousness and patronising tone. Maybe he wanted to sound like a complete asshole about a popular album for attention, as he has done in the past

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/vol3/bowie.html#bls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>gives the album the same score as Never Let Me Down
Seriously?

Accurate.

Scaruffi will never understand Bowie

I've never understood why so many people like this guy. Sure, he's knowledgable, but all he seems to do is shit on everything. He's a music critic who is divisive, much like that melon fag, but whenever Fantano posts a score he's horribly wrong, and whenever Scaruffi posts a score, it's objective fact. Help me understand.

Stop looking to critics to form your fucking opinions.

>"Because calling the art of a dying man, "melodramatic" and "trivial" makes him look like a complete ignorant asshole"
>implying a dying artist's music can't in fact be melodramatic or trivial

You're seriously a retard if you consider what you just posted a legimate argument.

>so triggered he has to make a separate thread

when did I ever say that I look to critics in my post? I'm trying to figure out why this board does though

Why does a dog lick it's balls?

How am I wrong in saying that? Calling me a, "retard" doesn't disprove me in the slightest

Just got on here like 5 minutes ago, no clue what you're talking about

Link: scaruffi.com/vol3/bowie.html#bls

>His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single). Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius. This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

>he's knowledgable

He doesn't seem to know jack shit about musical theory, so like the melon he has to resort to buzzwords, the only advantage above the melon he has is some historical knowledge and even that is shoddy. The difference between him and someone like Alex Ross is like a difference between soundcloud hack composing neoclassical ambient and Friedrich Cerha.

Thinking a dying artist can't be a melodramatic and pretendious, is a stupid assumption that doesn't dissaprove Scarufi's observation. You just dislike the notion that Blackstar could be that so you choose to use his death as an excuse to dismiss this particular type of criticism. There's no objectivity to be found in such a statement.

Scaruffi is a contrarian dick. He's made a career of shit talking popular stuff with big words.

Go through the catalog before you post asshole.

You aren't giving any reason or saying *why* I'm wrong. I never said that him dying dismissed him from criticism, read what I fucking said in the post where I acknowledged that. I think it's disrespectful to call it "trivial", an album about a final goodbye gift to the fans despite him dying and going through a lot of pain while making the album. Especially if it's liver cancer, and he knew that, I wouldn't call it "melodramatic" because that's an asshole thing to say

>Bowie cuck seething a year later

Grow up faggot.

Even if I did see the original post, it's a different criticism of the actual review rather than the score. Get fucked, "asshole"

>calling other people cucks
>grow up faggot

>You aren't giving any reason or saying *why* I'm wrong
I did, fuck off learn to read dumb faggot. I'm not gonna keep arguing with an idiot who can't see the obvious retardation of his post and gets defensive when it gets pointed out all while going in circles endlessy.
Your post here is a reharsh of the idiotic OP post, it's like you're unable to process new information that contradicts your own view no matter what so you keep repeating yourself.

You never said why you simpleton, all you said was,
"Thinking a dying artist can't be a melodramatic and pretendious" without giving any reason.

Visconti shouldn't have tried to produce a jazz album tbqh

>using the word "simpleton"
That's all i need to know that you're a pretendious neckbeard on top of a stupid idiot. And yes i gave you a reason why but you choose to ignore it.
bb stupid fag

So now if anybody makes a shitty melodramatic album they can just get cancer and it will suddenly be great?

Bait harder

>sound like a complete asshole about a popular album for attention

Yeah he just hates popular albums, which is why he trashed TVU/N, the Doors, Blonde on Blonde, and Astral Weeks to get attention.

OH. WAIT.

He over-penalizes artists that he deems to be overrated. Like I agree with him that The Beatles are overrated but he trashes them to such a degree that it's clear it's a personal thing for him.

Said the greentexting memespouter

Don't try to debate OP plz, he's a legit retard so leave ignore him for your own sanity.

If you make your music purely for your fans as a goodbye despite withering away of cancer and knowing that, then I think it's disrespectful to call that intention "melodramatic"

>build AI computer brains
>is a legit retard

There's nothing to undestand. Bowie was always shallow trash. Poor's man Eno.

You are putting it in black and white terms, I never said that he hates all popular albums, but there have been instances where he hates albums because of the media surrounding it, even to the point of completely contradicting himself and using the term "sellout" out of his ass

>best bowie album is made by fripp & eno
really makes you think

Can't we just boil this entire conversation into race and just say he's a cuckfag retard shit music reviewer because he's white?

stop listening to rap

agree with this completely and I generally like Scaruffi

He's a terrible reviewer because he's a delusional self inflated Italian cunthead

Based Piero

Bowieslimes need to leave

I don't listen to rap.

DUDE ITS GOOD BECAUSE HE DIED

bowie fans suck

Nice bait fuckhead, read what I said

more like BLACKEDstar

You're the top imbecile of the room. Aphex Twin uses Soundcloud, various live orquestres uses Soundcloud. Whats your point your talentless envious faggot?

Mos of the composers/producers less unknown that you try to critic are infinitely more creative and succesful than you.

You are nothing more than a pretentious bag of shit sitting everyday in anime forum talking shit.

Is that you Friedrich Cerha?

Fuck off faggot.

People who uses soundcloud and bandcamp gets publicity (burial, aphex twin, rap artists etc) are usually signed with big label or have an considerable hype/buzz on the internet

This don't mean they're infinitely better than the amateurs composers and bedroom producers. There are real talents who are cooking.

And the composer who just mentioned is a fucking nobody, who the fuck is this faggot? I don't care. Everyone can do what he does and better and greater, probably the question is who does it first and right!

I know you're are not one of them because you just a fucking hater. Suck a cock uncreative youtube rat!

In the end, music in subjective.
I have very rarely ever agreed with a Scaruffi rating because he has an edgy contrarian old man taste and doesn't always seem to focus on the quality of the music when critiquing an album.

His Blackstar review is fucking ridiculous imo I think blackstar is a top 5 Bowie album no contest, but i guess that's the beauty of opinion.

Also even if you disregard the quality of the music entirely, no artist of Bowie's magnitude has ever ended his career so perfectly.

What about amateur producers dying and suffering?

Look Fred...
It's cool man. They're all just platforms you know for sharing... and caring.

Hey words to the wise and fair warning ya'll Cerha's on the warpath. Just a heads up.

time to filter scaruffi I guess

i'm not a pro-Scaruffi guy or either a anti-Blackstar and not even a Blackstar super fan

But you sounded melodramatic and like a romantic faggot here. You're a fucking mess.

He did an album. Judge the album you clown. You crititized his life performance. He died "OOH BRAVO 10/10" - Sup Forums hipster, fucking pathetic.

I'm glad i come here only sporadic now. I made my legacy already. I'll get my first Grammy in 2018.

And you? My ways... i have talent!

And you? Fuckking defend kanye, defending bowie,

GO
SUCK
A FAT DICK

Sup Forums your echo chamber of bullshit

Sup Forums my piss pot, see how i am superior

what an awful thread

Shit thw fuck up you just sneaked his name on the convo just to appear musically ecletic and pretentious
SUCK THOUSAND DICKS

Did your music got slightely praised in any sense?
Did anyone appleauded your fucking reviews?

How many awards? How many empiries?

SHut the fuck. Open a Twitter account. Put the photo of you and your shit dog in the profile and perhaps even your wife, invisible.

You sound like UK and fuck i dont care if your from Sounth America and supports meme-fever politician.

Kendrick lyrics are simple and shallow. He still get praise. This mean everyone have a chance. But even this chance you gonna list .

I have chance, and i'm rapper too. Uh, whats a rapper.

Praise

They don't like him or agree with him, he's just a meme, because his opinions are by in large contrarian shitposts, which is basically what Sup Forums is all about. His website is essentially a treasure-trove of readymade bait just waiting to be copied and pasted.

He's basically the mascot of this board.

Me again. .

I am not a Scaruffi fan. But its undeniable hes influential. His reviews influences RYM reviewers who ranks the album according to his recommendations, and that things translates into more praises and more sells and plays on music platforms.

He more influential than Pitchfork. But only have a competion with Fantano influence because Fantano public are more active internet users. Basically teens.

Thats why you're envious. You though you was the next Fantano, the next Tinymixtapes eccentric writer, the next Pitchfork sensation. Pathetic.

Delusional old man.

Why the fuck does literally anybody care about him at all? I mean, I get that we meme him because of how moronic he is, but I don't feel like he even deserves that amount of attention.

You sound like your schizophrenic.

Blackstar is a melodic masterpiece of a dying music legend saying farewell
Also the saxophone is dope, you dense little fuck

what the fuck is this thread and why is there a poster that's talking like a schizophrenic bum

because his reviews are fun to read.

Scaruffi is a hack, everyone knows it. His reviews might as well be the sound of his farts filtered through speech to text.

Scaruffi knows music theory

Is this poetry?

>implying music critique is his carrer

Why does he even listen to music when he hates 99.9% of it?

That's a sign of mental illness

you will never understand music.

"melodic masterpiece" lol.
You wanna compare blackstar to beethoven's 9th?
to any work of bach?
Mahler's 2nd,5th,8th and 9th?
to tristan and isolde?
to bela bartok's concerto for orchestra?
to the melodies of a love supreme?

melodic masterpiece my ass you ignorant cunt.

this, but unironically

no one is comparing Blackstar to any of those
stop creating strawmen

those are melodic masterpieces. blackstar does not compare to ANY of those. Those are masterpieces,blackstar is a bad album, 4/10 is the only reasonable score.