You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess player in the world top ten

You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess player in the world top ten.

Chess is for spazlords

>Fabiano Caruana
>Wesley So
>Hikaru Nakamura
the state of """"American"""" chess lol.

Caruana was born in Miami, and Nakamura is only half-Japanese.
Is it OK to have a foreign-sounding name, or would you rather have Sam Shankland on first board?

how long has Carlsen been number one, Norwaybro?

Since the beginning of 2010, with a couple of short breaks during which Anand was #1.

I-I can post here right?

W-W-Wesley was ours

autism the """""""""""""sport""""""""""""

Sure. It's not like I have the authority to stop you.

Anyway, Wesley So looks certain to win the Grand Chess Tour. Only Nakamura has a theoretical chance to overtake him, but that would require everything to go wrong for So. He's also a favourite to win the London Chess Classic itself, but that is not quite as certain.

what's his endgame?

I have no idea. Holding on to the #1 spot on the rating list, I suppose. He lost a lot of rating points drawing the classical part of the World Championship, and Caruana is not far behind now.

Preferably a bishop and rook ending and up a pawn or two.

Norway you've been posting this exact same thread for several years now.

I didn't know we dominated chess too

How about making a real thread every once and a while Espen?

he's a sound guy leave him allone

Except during the WC, he's actually Carlsen

Thank you.
I'm not Carlsen.

How is he so good? Does everybody else suck compared to the past or is he just the best the sport has ever seen? Genuinely curious NorwayBro.

I can post here because my home country has a player in the top 10

Also I once won a school chess tournament and got a 50 (INSERT CURRENCY) gift coupon

NOT SO FAST AUSTRALIA

>tfw I lose to the easiest difficulty almost every time

If I had shown you the rest of that, you would have seen that Kasparov was #1 for approximately 20 years. Carlsen is not GOAT quite yet.

When I was a kid, I always thought Kasparov was Russian and Kramnik was American.

Why?

Because Kasparov sounds like a Russian family name and Kramnik doesn't.

land of opportunity, melting pot and all that

hello

>Carlshit

Wei Yi is coming for him

Not sports

>>>/ttg/

I'd believe you if you said Fabiano Caruana, Wesley So, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, Levon Aronian, Vladimir Kramnik, Anish Giri or even Pentala fucking Harikrishna, but Wei Yi? Come on.

That's exactly what Carlsen would say if he didn't want people to know it was him

What's Giri's potential? Is he destined to only eek out some draws against the best? Or will he be the one to upset Carlsen?

I can see that

What, "I'm not Carlsen"?
You'd think he'd have more imagination than that.
He's the new Petrosian. He'll draw all his games until that one tournament where he suddenly scores three wins and draws all his other games. If that tournament happens to be the Candidates, then he'll most likely get a match with Carlsen, and that could go either way.

Ray Robson sounds ultra-American

Sure, let's go with that.

>He's the new Petrosian
Petrosian was famous for his defensive style but also for his exchange sacrifices. On top of being World Champion of course. Giri is the youngest top player so he gets attention, but unless he starts winning games and tournaments he'll never amount to anything special, he'll just linger around the top20 and be remembered as the guy who drew everything. I'm not saying he couldn't challenge someone like Carlsen but I think he just has the face the reality that drawing doesn't win him anything in the long run do something about his playing style

How does So feel about Duterte?

I guess I'd rather say Petrosian as he was in the 1950's. He was also the youngest player in Zürich 1953, at which time he was known as a player who had the talent to become World Champion, but a much too cautious style of play. Giri also doesn't draw everything, that is an exaggeration.

>Nakamura - Aronian

Yeah, not everything, but he's had a noticeable tendency to play for draws in the top tournaments. He drew all his games in the last candidates tournament too. I must admit I don't like Giri at all, he's often an arrogant brat in press conferences and interviews

>American education