How does this make you feel

How does this make you feel

alright

>Vice
OPINION DISCARDED

Poptimism

I haven't even listened to five of those, and DSOTM is the third worst Pink Floyd album.

vice nearly has the worst taste in everything, the only magazine that's worse is complex and that's because the entire staff has a combined iq of 80

>glorified stoner music
the vast majority of all the great rock music to have ever been created came from people who did large amounts of drugs.

remember when vice used to do stores about Eurasian marriage customs and Iraqi heavy metal bands?

those were the days.

no one thinks american idiot is deep lol

>Drugs lmao
>I think getting high is the only way for me to appreciate semi-decent music.
Why are you posting ads from faceberg anyway OP?

>Kid A on the list
I'm fucking angry

Maybe high school stoners. Who would actually listen to Pink Floyd unless they were the first band they'd ever heard?

every song on dsotm has its own Wikipedia article, I guarantee this article is just going to be the copy pasted analyses

Nobody claimed Kid A was deep. Most of the lyrics were literally picked from a hat.

>went to vice.com
>first thing that popped up was the pic
>my opinion of them was immediately thrown away

>reddiohead fag ever thinking Kid A is "deep"
Looks like this article was just what you needed then

Infinitely sad.

reminder that if you expect big news sites to care about anything more than clicks and money than you're the idiot, not them

I went to see what there was, the review of a Nick Cave concert started with
>"I missed the first song of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds' set at Kings Theatre because I spent too much time picking out a tie at home "
, calls him a "goth legend" and mentions mansplaining all in the first paragraph

Jesus christ how are these writers so shitty

I don't know if I'd describe it as deep, but I do think it's a great deconstruction of punk culture and how it's ultimately self-destructive and pointless.

Hip-Hop too.

0.5 USD have been deposited into your account!

like VICE has no jurisdiction regarding what I enjoy, great feeling

Kid A is actually pretty intelligent commentary on the existential vacuum and "The Last Man".

Seeing it alongside Green Day is a sin.

So Scaruffi is working for Vice now

Oh come on man. Jesus of Suburbia single-handedly manages to paint a most accurate picture of an entire subculture. Sure, the album does contain some amounts of cheese but give credit where it's due.

Yeah well some people think it predicted 9/11 so maybe they just mean that bit

Oh cool, another example of hipsters trying to start a counter culture for no fucking reason other than they're a bunch of narcissists who feel entitled to a place in history

Honest to god i'm this close to assaulting any faggot I see wearing a beanie and glasses and has a beard. I'm tired of taking the high road against these try-hards. They don't have the right to breathe the same air as i do

imagine getting so triggered by an article online that it makes you want to physically harm innocent people
>also le hipster complaining about other hipsters

Imagine someone running up on you for being such a faggot because thats what i hope happens

Why can't people let other people enjoy their music. American Idiot is pure. Nostalgia and fuck those who tell me it's shit and even if it is, I listen to what I want

Metallica - Master of Puppets
The Who - Tommy
The Mars Volta – De-loused in the Comatorium
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Green Day – American Idiot
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
The War On Drugs – Lost in the Dream
Muse – Black Holes and Revelations
Joey Bada$$ - B4da$$
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Kanye West – Yeezus
Radiohead - Kid A

It just talks about lyrics, except for Muse's blurb which is just one sentence.

stop being such a triggered snowflake and move on
it's just words on the internet

>>reddiohead fag ever thinking Kid A is "deep"
literally nobody thinks it's deep
we all know it's yorke autistic rant after he failed to order a coffee in a starbucks

like a natural woman.

Vice is AIDS, more at 11.

>popular music is not deep or complicated
no shit

The only triggered snowflakes here are the moron who wrote the article and you

This. What do we do about the nu-male problem in music?

Show me on the doll where the guy in flannel hurt you

I'm telling you, them waking up in a hospital bed is the only way.

>ITAOTS
>Rage Against the Machine
>Kid A

Ugh

The guy who wrote about The War on Drugs sounds like a mega prick.

>great
literally just soulless pop music with a shit message

Radiohead - Kid A

This album is the sonic equivalent of waking up the morning a project is due and realizing you haven’t done it, so you spit out some philosophical bullshit onto a page and hope it works out, only to get it back and be asked to publish it in a journal because it’s so fucking “revolutionary.”

No one mentions the fact that this album isn’t about anything. It has no purpose at all, no meaning. It is the product of Thom Yorke having writer’s block and everyone else just saying “Sure, do what you want, we don’t care, you’re Radiohead!”

Kid A is one long panic attack, one long disjointed Myspace poem by that weird kid in high school who got his rocks off by scaring everyone “because he liked it” and now goes to a community college in a different state and posts racist memes on Facebook. It’s one long manic episode-induced love letter written to an ex by that guy in a Warped Tour-core band who just can’t get over her even though it happened five years ago when they were in 8th grade.

This album rules, but what the fuck is going on here guys.

Pink Floyd is what got me into proggresive tho

t. triggered intensely by Green Day's place on that list

>In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

the true nu-males are the ones who think they are tough as fuck and would TOTALLY SLIT THE THROAT OF HIPSTERS WITH PONYTAILS BEFORE THEY EVEN SEE THE KNIFE COME OUT OF MY TRENCHCOAT. some glorification of what "le men used to be" while they shitpost on an anime board shoving doritos in their fat faces. Anyone who talks like i assume is a low IQ faggot with mall knives and and self esteem issues.

Do they only talk about image and lyrics? I'm not the biggest fan of Kid A but this is just awful writting.

see you fat fucking faggot

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The story of how In the Aeroplane Over the Sea took on its thematic bent is, by now, well known: Jeff Mangum picked up a copy of the diary of Anne Frank, read it, and was devastated, telling Puncture magazine (in an interview later published in its entirety by Pitchfork), "I would go to bed every night and have dreams about having a time machine and somehow I'd have the ability to move through time and space freely, and save Anne Frank." This narrative alone has bred its own share of overanalysis—a jokey Sup Forums thread put together a conspiracy theory in which Mangum actually succeeded—but it probably explains more of the literal element of the album than most fans would care to admit (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to piece together the meaning of lyrics like "then they buried her alive / One evening 1945" from "Holland, 1945"). Although many of the lyrics are winding and impenetrable and—due to being filled with sexual and religious imagery—seem to demand meticulous dissection, the explanation for them seems pretty simple: They are mostly just dream images that made compelling lyrical phrases. Sex and religion are like Surrealism 101. Take a look at a Salvador Dali painting and then at Jeff Mangum's lyrics sheet and see how uniquely inscrutable his words really are. As Mangum said in that same interview, his writing process was not particularly cerebral, and his own mind is pre-disposed to indulging his dreams, which naturally brings out religion and sex. To fixate on the thematic arc of the lyrical message of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, to ask Mangum to explain that message, is to miss that message entirely.

(1/2)

(2/2)

Which is to say: It's not that there's not depth to the album. To the contrary! It's that the explanation of the album is pretty simple and instead it's the implications of it that are profound. Aeroplane is a concept album, sure, but its biggest concept is radical empathy, the idea that history and humanity might be best understood by diving deep into someone else's psyche. It's not that deep to write lyrics that are not so secretly about World War II, nor is it that deep to suggest that reality is one big waking dream—there's a reason some philosophy professors make a rule that you're not allowed to discussThe Matrix—but there's plenty of emotional profundity to be found in wading through someone else's dream so vividly rendered. Just don't make the mistake of channeling your feeling of personal connection into a need to annotate the lyrics on RapGenius.

>
Kid A is one long panic attack, one long disjointed Myspace poem by that weird kid in high school who got his rocks off by scaring everyone “because he liked it” and now goes to a community college in a different state and posts racist memes on Facebook.
>Kid A Is literally Sup Forums

>"albums which aren't deep"
>"it's actually deep"

I can agree with every single one on this list except for Kid A and maybe Mars Volta.

But who considers these albums as deep? and how are you judging things as being "deep", it's such a meaningless word that you can basically call anything deep.
Like why is DSotM on here? it's pretty obvious what it's about.
And ITAOTS is also fairly straight forward once you learn its about anne frank, its just surreal imagery.
In both of these cases why does this make it deep? and not only that why is the implication then that they are bad for doing this?

if you typed this out in seriousness, seek professional help. you're literally clinically obsessed with nu-males.

>It's that the explanation of the album is pretty simple and instead it's the implications of it that are profound.
"Profound implications" seem pretty deep to me idk

The Mars Volta was a decidedly hard turn from the band’s former At the Drive-In members and they pulled it off spectacularly. Their debut, De-loused in the Comatorium, was trippy and bolder and generally weirder than what ATDI had been doing. That said, the lyrics make no fucking sense whatsoever. Anything can be mistaken for being profound when you don’t understand it. “Transient jet lag ecto mimed bison / This is the haunt of roulette dares / Ruse of metacarpi,” for example. Utter jibberish. Like reaching into a bag of peyote edition refrigerator word magnets. Which is fine. It can be cool to treat lyrics as purely sonic elements, but let’s stop pretending these words are anything more than nonsense scrawled during opioid trips.

be nicer to him hes in a bad place

>That said, the lyrics make no fucking sense whatsoever.
>“Transient jet lag ecto mimed bison / This is the haunt of roulette dares / Ruse of metacarpi,” for example. Utter jibberish.
That's why I think it's deep tho.

Being "too smart" for Pink Floyd is in fact a boring, entry-level opinion that's not as deep as it thinks.

Also this. How is 'drug' music a criticism? Most of the best music since the 20th Century has been shaped in a large way by drugs, in many cases explicitly for the purpose of accompanying drug experiences.

I thought journalists were bad already, but these hack nobodies who write these clickbait listicles are even worse. Literally just know-nothing randoms and hot chicks that fucked the editor etc.

"Deep" is now a meaningless buzzword but imo it should be defined as "multiple interpretations are sustainable" because that's what fosters discussion.

>Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floyd is glorified stoner music and you know it. And like all glorified stoner music, time has ascribed great philosophical importance to the album Dark Side of the Moon. But when you can buy Dark Side of the Moon t-shirts and posters in bulk at Target and its main cultural draw is a bunch of lazers, it's time to ask the question: Is it really that deep? Or are you just on a bunch of drugs right now?

Remember when John Waters said, “If you go home with someone and they don’t have any books, don’t fuck them?” The same should be said for any person with Dark Side of the Moon paraphanalia. Please tell me what is so earth-shatteringly profound about playing the cha-ching sound on a tape loop? If you’re interested in subversive capitalism, you're better off watching Zoolander.

>Muse – Black Holes and Revelations

If you’re looking for evidence that Muse is the soundtrack for faux-intellectual radicals, look no further than this fact: Muse is Glenn Beck’s favorite band.

true. as a hipster nu-male faggot i am accepting of everyone and their color, form, gender etc. even people like this who gender identity seems to be the an overly raised truck with huge tires, edgy bumper stickers and a tiny penis

itaots is perfect

whoever wrote this needs to be executed

Nope, I don't care about what men used to be.
I don't care what men are now.
I don't really care anything about masculinity
I don't fuck with knives
You're also talking shit over the internet
Just keep up with your attitude and I'm sure you'll piss someone off enough to relocate your nose
Post pictures when it happens so I can jerk off to them please

>implying the retard who wrote this would listen to waters' """""advice"""""

stupid fucking pseud

You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>vice

You won't be able to tell that to the people that hurt you :)

PF didnt really do drugs except barett who was out of the band by dark side

>being this underage and low self esteem
>relocate your nose
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
i remember in highschool some wanna be tough faggot like you gave me the line: "nice teeth....... for now". having tough guy lines like this is fucking gold

are you the kid in highschool who gets roasted in his trenchcoat and starts breathing heavier/huffing to raise your powerlevel, like some overweight hulk wanna be, telling people you wont like me when i am angry?

ur being edgy just shitting on the guy sure he came off like a neckbeard but people are neckbeards for a reason like deep self hate ect.

Lmao I really hope you say something like this to the wrong person one day

obviously not you since i can outrun your mobility scooter/steeltoed boots. threating people with violence like you do, especially in the super lame edgey lines you use, is surely the best way to out yourself as a faggot, edgelord, neckbeard, underage "tough guy"

>this is what Vice thinks are Deep albums

best way to stop being a loser is to not be butthurt, learn to roast people and not be a glass snowflake when other people roast you. know who else don't roast each other and get butthurt at words? fucking women

What albums do Vice consider deep, anons?

Lemonade

u make a good point some people need to face reality but try to make him see that rather than just shitting on him

>But who considers these albums as deep? and how are you judging things as being "deep", it's such a meaningless word that you can basically call anything deep.

This is a really good point and something that's been on the tip of my tongue for a while. Usually whenever I see commentators attempting to call out something for not actually being 'deep' - usually made as a criticism for things like David Lynch, Gaspar Noe, The Neon Demon, Spring Breakers (to use director / film examples) - it really exposes the person making the criticism for not really 'getting' aesthetics.

First of all, like you said, who is even saying something is necessarily "deep", exactly? And how do you measure this 'depth'? This complaint seems like it's coming from some approach to viewing or listening that's maybe based in either a viewpoint requiring rationality or logic, or maybe from a writerly angle seeking text or a message. Like, a STEM perspective wanting a sense of some logic (or maybe complexity?), or a English major, journo, or political orientation combing over it for some coherent, preferably nuanced, and articulable reading that readily make itself available.

And again, this just reeks of people who don't exactly get music or art, who don't receive it for what it is. And, I mean, there can be brilliance and nuance, but not operating in a way that translates exactly to explicable readings or to measurements.

I will admit that some music (which I tend to not like much) sometimes attempts to have some message, usually political. And I suppose you can critique a lyric's triteness, because then you are dealing with text. But criticizing Floyd as "stoner music" is probably aimed more at the music itself, the sensory stuff happening, which has nothing to do with depth of message (depth of sonic spaciality, sure, but that's neither good or bad, just an aesthetic decision, and not what they're referring to).

What do the t-shirts or some strawman classic rock fan have to do with the music itself?

And what does its drug-related status have to do with its quality?

I agree that Muse sucks though.

>vice

the bar was already so low, but they went and limbo'd under it

Went to go find this article, scrolled past 2 articles about why weed is great and another on how to do lsd

have you witnessed that? that sounds hilarious

Wrong.

Only 12 year olds think Green Day is deep.

It's just pop music for edgy teens, dude.

kek

Can anyone confirm this? It sounds hard to believe but it might be true. I'm too lazy to do my own research.

what is this "it's not deep" meme? I never hear anyone describing music as deep above the age of 14

>twitter gif
kill yourself

Now your turbo-normie friends won't be weirded out by your music, they will just tell you it sucks.

>we all know it's yorke autistic rant after he failed to order a coffee in a starbucks
Now that is deep

How do they choose 17?