Is it the worst year for music in this decade so far?

Yeah, I know it's not over yet, but let's imagine that the quality of musical output remains the same throughout the rest of the year. Where would 2017's music stand in relation to the rest of this decade?

If it wouldn't be the worst, then what is?

>If it wouldn't be the worst, then what is?

There's a lot of highly anticipated stuff coming out over the coming months including new Fleet Foxes, new Arcade Fire, new Sufjan, new The National, new Ride, new Grizzly Bear, new (archival) Neil Young, (probably) new Avey Tare, and there's very likely going to be a lot of stuff I've forgotten is coming out or hasn't been announced yet. This year seems like a slow start, but a big finish

2011 > 2015 > 2012 > 2010 > 2016 > 2017 > 2013 > 2014

If you have shit taste and only listen to Sup Forumscore, p4k and Fantano, sure

True, though the Fleet Foxes and Sufjan are leaked. The singles from Grizzly Bear so far have really made me lose hope in their new album.

Never listened to The National or heard of Avey Tare, so can't comment on that. I have the feeling that the Arcade Fire will be a letdown though, but who knows.

I'm probably just being a pessimist though. I'm definitely not saying there haven't been some solid releases already though.

That is exclusively white suburban teenager indie, so your case isn't strong

This year has had some great releases though!

Clap! Clap! - A Thousand Skies, African influenced uk bass, a really fun album, each track is short but have some great sounds.

Brendan Byrnes - Neutral Paradise, microtonal synthpop, a really excellent use of microtonality in this release, Byrnes has a good understanding of working outside the standard 12 tones, and manages to create tracks in a pop structure with some wicked microtonal sounds.

Hadouk - Le Cinquième Fruit, as someone who's not that keen on jazz, I liked this album a lot more than I thought. It must be the choice of instrumentation because it has a lot of flute and strings, which I enjoy quite a bit. I think this album definitely can appeal to a lot more people than just jazz fans.

Кpacнoзнaмeннaя Дивизия Имeни Moeй Бaбyшки – Пocмepтныe пpиключeния, this is a russian indie pop album, I was drawn into it by the colourful album colour, and the album itself didn't disappoint. A pretty fun listen.

Temples - Volcano, A neo-psychedelia album, it's got great synth sounds, memorable melodies, and keeps a pretty nice atmosphere throughout. I'm not sure if these guys are well known or not but this is my first experience with them.

agreed

so basically a few albums from indie bands in the middle-late periods of their careers
that is not promising

>never heard of Avey Tare
How new are you?

Looked him up just now. Been here plenty but I've still never bothered listening to Animal Collective

I don't think you've been here plenty then. And if you somehow have, I mean you're not missing out on anything extremely special, but AnCo is at least worth listening to.

I've been on Sup Forums for at least two years. I just never take the time to listen to a lot of stuff that people talk about here. Like I've still never listened to the fucking Beach Boys lol

Yeah, I agree. The only good albums to come out of 2014 were Alvvays, You're Dead, Niggas On The Moon, and To Be Kind.

Why? I don't see the point of coming here if you're not gonna listen to the Sup Forumscore albums at least once.

>joined in 2015
>not an ultrapleb newfag
2013 was the last great year for Sup Forums meme releases and you missed it

It's been a decent year for lower-profile artists' releases, there's a good bit of good stuff if you just do some digging around
If you're only focusing on big name releases though this year has been pretty disappointing, although none of the high-profile releases this year have been by artists I really like so it hasn't bugged me much

Yeah I've almost exclusively listened to and been impressed most by artists I'd never heard of this year and have been making sure to avoid review sites. Been just going through every new release listed on Last.fm under genres I might like and listening to each. Just hoping for that one album that blows my mind and blows everything else out of the water though.

I've listened to a good chunk of them, but I prefer to let my own tastes and methods of finding new music lead me to what I listen to next. And there's plenty on here for people that haven't listened to every single Sup Forumscore album. Sharethreads are the best thing on all of Sup Forums imo.

I know I'm not an oldfag but I'm more of a tweenfag than a newfag. Somewhere in between.

tbf RYM's 2017 list has been pretty consistent for under-the-radar releases if you ignore the top 10

Oh man, I've never actually used RYM before, but that looks like it'll be really helpful for finding some new stuff, especially since Last.fm's new releases list doesn't go all the way back to the beginning of the year so I'd be missing out on pretty much all the albums from Feb and Jan if I only had that since I only just started diving into 2017 music in March.

Cheers friend-o, that'll be really handy!

>I know I'm not an oldfag but I'm more of a tweenfag than a newfag. Somewhere in between
Holy shit you really are a newfag
If you were not on Sup Forums before 2011 you are a newfag, no changing that.
It has nothing to do with the length of time you have been here but the period of time you were present in.

future here

2011 >>>> 2015 = 2019 > 2017 > 2016 > 2010 > 2012 > 2013 > 2014 >>>>> 2018

If you haven't been here before summer 2006 you're a newfag

Well shit then I accept my title of newfag.
But what happens when it's like 2025? Will you still be a newfag if you started in 2012/2007?

Anyone who hasn't been here since before summer 2006 will forever be a newfag

Fuck.