Avatar made almost 3 billion during its theater run

>Avatar made almost 3 billion during its theater run
>nobody remembers it now
>The Force Awakens made 2 billion at the box office
>nobody cares about it anymore

The tragedy behind a massive box-office hit is safe movies lacking of any identity so it reaches as broadly as possible. Avatar and TFA share the same DNA of something that relies on tired clichés to evoke the same sensation similar movies a few decades ago did.

>nobody remembers it now

Umm no

Pretty much.

Nobody talks about TFA or makes clever memes or quotes the movie because it just wasnt a memorable movie. It was a generic cgi space flick with 'star wars' slapped on it.

These movies will forever be remembered for the amount of money they made in a short amount of time. Not for the actual movie content. Its pathetic that THAT is what hollywood if proud of and strives to achieve

When was the last time you heard anyone talk about Avatar? Titanic, a movie that made a billion less had a far greater cultural impact.

Couple weeks ago

>The tragedy behind a massive box-office hit is safe movies lacking of any identity so it reaches as broadly as possible. Avatar and TFA share the same DNA of something that relies on tired clichés to evoke the same sensation similar movies a few decades ago did

correct user

I'd say nowadays it's more difficult to create something influential that has an impact than it was 10-20 years ago.

I saw a guy with a TFA shirt yesterday in a bar and somehow me and my friends began talking to him and his friends. I started talking about his shirt and when he found out I liked Star Wars he tried to impress me with "obscure" Star Wars trivia, all of which I was well aware of and it surprisingly turned out he wasn't aware of what the EU was. Shortly after he went on an rant about how disgusting he thought Miley Cyrus was and he would maybe only fuck her if she paid him $100 million. I'm pretty sure he had aspergers.

He was a good friend.

fuck you

Both were derivative as fuck but atleast Avatar had some nice CGI scenes.

TFA was like a B-movie production. It's crazy how much praise that movie got when it failed so many basic storytelling pillars. For instance, don't attempt tragedy without build-up or investment. There is no tragedy if the viewer feels no loss. Referring to the Republic getting BTFO which just looked comical instead.

hey bro

how long did you guys stay last night

Why is that? Is it because of the Internet allowing content to be consumed at a much faster pace? People with Netflix accounts who consume several seasons of Television in just one weekend where previously it would take a year?

>Comparing James Cameron to Schlomo Abrams

Avatar is miles ahead of TFA and it came out 6 years sooner

I dislike Avatar and it is objectively an overrated film. But you are right.

Quaritch did nothing wrong.
#justiceforquaritch

>>Avatar made almost 3 billion during its theater run
>>nobody remembers it now
sure, shills. keep telling that to yourself.

Its because it doesnt have merchandise spamming everywhere thats why.

I paid for both, and I enjoyed both.

>Its because it doesnt have merchandise spamming everywhere thats why.

It DID have merchandise tho.

>TFA is gonna beat Avatar for sure!

Good times.

Remember that one really memorable line by one of the main characters?

>>nobody cares about it anymore
>Nobody talks about it

there would be no threads about it if that was true.

Force Awakens itself made zero pop culture impact. None.

this thread is shit

like seriously

>nobody talks about it anymore
>TFA threads every single day

nice try

>I saw a guy with a TFA shirt yesterday in a bar and somehow me and my friends began talking to him and his friends. I started talking about his shirt and when he found out I liked Star Wars he tried to impress me with "obscure" Star Wars trivia, all of which I was well aware of and it surprisingly turned out he wasn't aware of what the EU was.
I'd believe it, if it were true.

People out there are pretty dumb.

I don't know TOO much about the SW universe myself but then I don't really pretend like I do. I'm not that big of a SW fan.

Yea, the way media is consumed now is insane if you think about it, now we just constantly search for the "next big thing" that will never come because we've been conditioned to look forward when it comes to pop culture media. They keep getting us ready for the next big thing, and the next and the next. The ride never ends now. Im sure if TFA or Avatar relesed decades ago they would have made some impact other than the fact that they opened big.

but it was minimal, basically your average merchandise for an average action flick.

Meanwhile you have disney milking the living crap out of disney 24-7

I would be really curious to know how many of Avatar's Soldier toys (with their vehicles, etc) sold compared to the Navi toys

What about TR8R or emo kylo ren? there's a lot of jokes and imgs and shit circulating about both since the movie's release

They're just jokes. Kyle Ren was a shit villain who no one could take seriously, and the fact that TR8R went viral goes to show how little of the movie is actually memorable.

they're still memes based on the movie
you said
>Nobody talks about TFA or makes clever memes or quotes the movie
but they do, like those ones
and there's a whole series of TFA calvin & hobbes comics

If anyone anywhere is talking about Avatar it means either James Cameron is reminding people he is planning 4 sequels again or people are talking about how no one talks about Avatar

>"This is great"
>"I see you"
I think it was in the trailer

>you said

That wasn't me

I ain't no fortunate son

okay but that was the point i was responding to

Memeticness=/=artistic quality

TDKR is the worst of the Nolan Batman trilogy and it gave us the best meme of all time.

The Star Wars prequels are terrible and they've been a wellspring of quality memes (Sheevposting, Bibbleposting, Plinkett reviews et al).

In fact it could be said that its a mark of TFA's genuine quality that Sup Forums couldn't find a single scene to turn it into a laughing stock. There was an abortive attempt with Kanjkloob that lasted all of 3 minutes and that was it.

TFA was just ANH with some SJW pandering. It was never made to be popular. Only easily digested entertainment for nostalgia-riddled manchildren who think they're hot shit because they watched the Plinkett reviews.

>This is great
The only reason I remember that is because people were spamming it when we were shitposting about the trailer.

SaganFan1983 pls go

I think the Avatar series should end with Jake eventually realizing that the entire planet is sentient and transferring his consciousness into it, becoming the new mind of the planet with some cheesy message about harmony between man and nature.

No, TFA is just thoroughly middling. Even if no-one is meming it all the time, no-one references parts of the movies in other important contexts.
The first 3 Star Wars movies have iconic moments and even people who haven't seen them will probably know them. There's no "that's no moon", or "Don't get cocky Kid!" in TFA.

The prequels has memorable moments abound.

>FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL

I think that's more a testiment to the fact that they didn't fuck up, instead of if they did good.

Granted all TFA needed after the prequels was to not fuck up, but still.

Yeah, memorable for being garbage

>I don't like sand
>It's over Anakin, I have the high ground
>Now THIS is pod racing!
>Are you an angel?
>Dellow Felegates
>I'll try spinning, that's a good trick

Etc

Those lines are great. The fuck are you guys on? It matches the cheesy sci-fi-ness of Star Wars perfectly.

The best of the prequels is better than the best of TFA. Revenge of the Sith is all around a better movie with far more iconic imagery despite having scenes with very questionable acting. TFA serves only to mildly satisfy the nostalgiafags. The prequels were something of their own and not just poor imitation. Sometimes striving for great things and failing means more than settling for the easiest option, just copypasting the fan favorite to the point of absurdity.

What was the point of TFA really? It was just a poor clone with a far more forgettable cast and some pretty awful plot holes.

>I think the Avatar series should end with Jake eventually realizing that the entire planet is sentient

They already checked that box in the first Avatar movie.

This pic was scathing enough without having to add that "Rey is kylos cousin" part in. Isn't that just mad speculation at this point?

>sell IP to jews
>it instantly turns into a cynical cash grab with focus tested scenes for the maximum safe space experience

There is nothing worse than a forgettable movie. A movie of so little note that it leaves no lasting impression whatsoever. It's the equivalent of a Big Mac. You pay, you consume and you move on thinking back if you ever ate that Big Mac or if it was something else. This is what the Disney jews are doing. It's become something you MUST see and once you've seen it, you realize the marketing was bigger than the movie and you'll fall for exactly the same trick next year when the MOVIE YOU MUST SEE finally gets a continuation of a previous cliffhanger.

We all just watch those movies for the great action delivered with great special effects and in that department nobody comes even close to Cameron.

15+ years on down the line, the blockbuster from this era that I think most people will actually remember as a landmark and a genre classic is obviously gonna be Fury Road, even though it did merely "okay" at the box office by overblown studio tentpole standards.

That's not Oblivion.

>complain about meme movies
>movies aren't good because they lack memes

It's a generational thing. Movies burn hot and die fast.

you can't measure that now, wait until all the kids who watched it grow up and start to fondly look back at the 2010s and the media in it