noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/albums-that-arent-as-deep-as-you-think-they-are
archive.fo/1nZHN
mega.nz/#!F91FQLCA!83YQgnUZX6-1byGj-p-HU_X2Nh55xKstMG7mX0p4q3s
youtu.be/pfipIzr4JXE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/albums-that-arent-as-deep-as-you-think-they-are

>kid a is one long panic attack
well its not like they dont get it

Noisey is every tryhard edgy friend that posts hipster bullshit on Facebook all day that literally everyone ignores and hasn't been laid since they turned 30

If this writer were to die, the world would lose nothing

Don't even click this and give them ad revenue (You)s

>I hate everything about it but it roolz!!!1!
So this is like video games with "9/10 - It's OK" reviews?

>waaaaaaaah daddy never fucked me, please give me attention

Vice is trash. They recently did an article about how U2's The Joshua Tree is trash because "dude Vertigo lmao and fuck Bono and get off my iphone" and stated that Blink 182, Barenaked Ladies, Spice Girls, All Saints, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Fallout Boy all were better.

ITT: Vice marketing team

Fuck off. Your bait article is garbage.

what the fuck, are they serious?

You don't think marketing people actually waste their time hocking bullshit on Sup Forums do you?

Honestly this community is so blinded by the fawning over this meme album its really pathetic. The only thing wrong with this review is the fact that he throws it a bone in the end. If y'all really thing it isn't some fake deep shit thrown over weak melodies y'all really need to take a step back

No one here will deny that the assertion that Kid A is about nothing in particular, even Radiohead have said that it and Amnesiac aren't.
However, the content of the article basically takes that concept and stretches it into a page of basically nonsense-- read the 3rd paragraph for what I mean.

This is seriously worse than the first paragraph of that p4k review of this album.

5/10 bait shows promise but needs improvement

Back to the drawing board user

She literally didn't get it. Which is baffling, as it's babby's first mildly experimental art-rock.
How can you listen to songs like The National Anthem, How To Disappear Completely, Optimistic, Idioteque, and Motion Picture Soundtrack and not get some kind of coherent overall emotional theme or arc?

I was a fucking sophomore in high school and I understood what Thom was getting at with this shit. How surface-level of a listener do you have to be not fucking get Kid A? Holy shit.

I'm mad.

>as it's babby's first mildly experimental art-rock.
>babby's

>I was a fucking sophomore in high school

I'm guessing you now a junior in high school? Do the other kids in 11th grade fear your musical knowledge?

how new are you?

It's a really dumb article and the comparisons don't make sense, (The phrase "product of writers block" is an oxymoron but she doesn't seem to realize this) but it's also clickbait made for dudes to click on it and get angry so quality wasn't first on her to do list I'm sure.

Well desu at the very least Idioteque actually is definitely the product of writers block, as Thom wrote it by pulling phrases scraps of paper pulled from a hat in order to get over his writers block

But I mean like it's still a great song and it's really well written even through that process

Do we agree with this (((vice))) article?

They really do though

>t. schlomo shekelstein

>It's the Reddit of movies.
are they, dare i say it, /ourniggers/?

Why do so many people hate this movie so much?

21, thanks.

Do you get your rocks off presuming other people are younger than you? It's okay, you're in good company here.

ITT: reddioheadfags assmad someone's calling their bland band out on their pseud bullshit

It really is not very good, lame "edgy", fake deep, plus has a major fedora following to boot.

it's fedoracore trash

so outdated

Okay now, Drive is a legitimately great movie, let's pump the brakes here

They clearly do this. Pitchfork, Fantano, pugeon and planes, complex etc. Memes monitoration etc.
Also they do this on reddit and other popular music forums.
Some freelancer promoters some shills.

>people I don't like enjoy it so it's bad

archive.fo/1nZHN

I got y'all

>if it's not head up ass pretentious than it's not good

This is why art and media is a joke.

Thanks friendo, heres my favorite album in return
mega.nz/#!F91FQLCA!83YQgnUZX6-1byGj-p-HU_X2Nh55xKstMG7mX0p4q3s

>>as it's babby's first mildly experimental art-rock.
>>babby's

>thinking this is a misspelling

shut the fuck up you schmuck

oh god you really think the movies on that chart aren't pretentious don't you
you're beyond saving

Some of them are. Boondock Saints is the dumbest movie I've ever seen that thinks it's really deep and genius.

But then there are generic blockbusters on there like Cloverfield and Dark Knight so.

Is this the /nu/male metal chart but for Sup Forums

thx man, will check it out. It seems very Australian

Anything that attracts a lot of fedora types is an easy target for contrarianism.
Fight Club's a great movie but I do agree its fanbase is 90% insufferable "enlightened" autists who completely misinterpret its message.

That's kind of the irony. The people that love that movie that most are the ones it criticizes.

I trust Vice on music just about as much as I trust them on journalism.
Their documentaries are interesting, but I always fact check afterwards.

"That of course, is a massive fucking cover story, when the truth is that rockist critics who grew up on a healthy diet of Bruce Springsteen, well-done steak, cheap scotch and Magnum P.I. marathons had to spend the last decade pretending to think Beyoncé is a genius and Lil Wayne wrote the song of year, all the while denying the true calling which is to just run through the streets of a blue-collar city in a denim vest singing Americana rock anthems."

this is true

No fucking shit new fag. if you've ever listened to an album you can just tell how deep it is. the quality of the album comes from how cold and rigid sounding it is. he mixed words together from mostly average sentences.

The same reason people hate Donnie Darko and American Beauty.

Donnie Darko is actually shit though. It's unfinished and tries to pass it off as being deep.

Listening now, this is rather nice. It's weird that it's rated so low on RYM

They did actually nail that completely desu

The author of this piece

youtu.be/pfipIzr4JXE

>archive.fo/1nZHN
>all of the worst reviews/opinions are written by womemes
i'm shocked honestly. anyways, this is """journalistic""" b8 but the writers should still quit their jobs.

That's funny, my first thought when I read this article was "this was probably written by some 'critic' who thinks Beyonce's latest album was revolutionary." I'll give them credit for saying the complete opposite I guess. And I can agree that War on Drugs album was pretty overrated.

I liked 21/36 of those movies, am I a fedora?

christ

>and stated that... carly rae jepsen is better
even a broken clock is right twice a day

Her writing is awful

She can get it though

A choker is a black belt in anal.

Why do I genuinely enjoy pretentious things?

no you just a have a very standard taste for your demographic (white lonely early 20s male with average cultural capital)

serious projection going on towards the end there

oh fuck I forgot I need to watch Falling Down. Is it actually worth watching

It does suck though

this entire article is a pile of anti-intellectual shite

Hahaha, this

Sounds like she's a fucking beta

The only ones that really deserve to be here are American Idiot and Rage Against the Machine. Never heard anyone in my life say Master of Puppets is more than what it appears to be

The Album by itself is a 3.5, HOWEVER, Vice's retarded

This opens up an interesting question I've thought about a lot. Which matters more, the authorial intent or the audience interpretation?

Neither

Hm. Explain

Authorial intent is real and masterful artists can affect audiences in the way they intend. In which case, it is considered masterful. However, there was an inversion in the arts with post-modernism to shift the meaning towards the interpretation, which actually made for a lot of really really really bad art so I hope that young people can push through that.

You refer to authorial intent as real, and I agee. But how is an interpretation not real?

>desperate journalist writes provocative article to garner clicks
Still, they aren't wrong about a lot of albums on that list though I didn't know people though MOP was a deep album.

Is Pepe killed?

in the comic, yes, as a meme and symbol, of course no.

Interpretation is real but speaking to your original question about which matters more-- the important thing is that interpretation is an individual's ENCOUNTER with an artistic work, which is a thing in itself, imbued with the intentions of the artist. There would be no interpretation of art without the art object in the first place. So, the art and the intent within does take precedent. Whether or not that means intent matters more than interpretation-- the question remains, but I think that the question is invalid in the first place. It's a category error.

>For starters, there’s a song on this record called “Fixing a Hole” in which Paul McCartney riffs for about two and a half minutes on the mental glory of home improvement.

This has to be a fucking troll.

Welcome to the future, gramps.

At the end of the time, the autor is also part of the audience, the observer. Such observation is the food and the nail of everything; it changes whatever the idea of something. Something really dies when it's not observed.
Works of old were praised, some of them are forgotten.
It doesn't matter.
Soon you will die too.

The author never knows what he does.

>reddit spacing

The thing is is that it's impossible to know what the authorial intent was at the time of a work's creation. The only thing you can actually comment on with certainty is your interpretation.

Yeah, but it is an infinite regress, whether you can absolutely Know what the author meant, just like scientific theory. The important thing is that a shrewd and mindful interpreter can identify what the author meant by stuff.

>"This album rules, but what the fuck is going on here guys."
Stopped reading right there.

They fucking do especially actual musicians. After the whole Trump meme, there are even 10 times more shillers on Sup Forums on all boards. Don't trust anyone.

I'm pretty sure Sup Forums invented these types of charts, where you take a collection of works you don't like and say that anyone who likes them is a [disliked group].

I'm not saying they're inherently wrong, there is a /fedoracore/ collection, but that's what it is.

Is that not still just an interpretation of what the text and ergo what the author meant through text.
Any acknowledgement that you can't really know what the author meant implies that you are always just commenting on what your interpretation of what the text means and/or what the author meant.

That's the last line of the article, redditcuck.

the summerfags are here. time to pack it up, boys.

ITS LIT WITH THE BALD HEADED GIRL

Did you not read the article?

So here's my two cents.
This album is cohesive neither on a narrative level, nor on a thematic one, but much rather from a sonic point of view and in the way it treats what I would call "the musical ego".

The voice interpreted by the singer(i.e. Thom Yorke) exists as a separate entity, one that has a dual ontology - first of all, one within each track's medium, as the themes of the songs on this record can be varied, it is easy to assume that on this level, the voice represents a collective of mindstates and mindstatements; second of all, on a meta level across the entirety of the album taken as a singular piece of dada-inspired works, meant to create a diegesis dissociated with each track in particular, but deeply rooted in the album as a whole, exempting this album from the label of "Concept album" and earning it the one of "Resistive album", as it systematically opposes the Gessamtkunstwerk-like traditional structure.

The journey of the ego is one of failure and acceptance. Its birth resides in noise, and once it comes to life, it desperately attempts to emancipate itself from the tight grasp of its womb. The voice on the first three tracks of the album is deeply modulated, but, as we come to discover, the fourth track features for the first time clean vocals - "How to disappear completely" - the ego finally emerges out of the amniotic fluid it had been birthed from and gets a first-hand impression of the real world around him, only to be so affected that he retracts back in his shell(this idea will be brought up later in "I Will" off "Hail to the Thief"), the song being a statement of the ego of his death, falling back into the ocean, drowning in noise, effectively merging with the background sound effects. The follow-up track, "Treefingers", is an instrumental. The voice is one with the music it initially came from. The mingling of "fingers" and "tree" represents the mingling of human - nature and once with the metaphorical death of the ego, its involution back to its roots (we all now how infatuated Radiohead are with environment issues). The fingers also represent the creative aspect of a human, they are the part of the body one uses to create; so the song is a statement regarding the human race's creativity's firmly planted roots in nature.

The ego comes to life once again after, only to commit metaphorical suicide on the last track, "Motion Picture Soundtrack", cutting off the track abruptly in the middle. It has just left the scene, the ego is now dead. This is strongly emphasized by the line: "I will see you in the next life". After a short pause, only an instrumental starts off for a little while. The ego transcended this medium. It is now a mere figment of sound. It is no longer individually-defined. One with the wind you might say. Then the track is empty. Nothingness.

I am curious of any feedback if possible. Also, I'm sorry for any typos, I wrote this off my phone and English really is not my first language. I tried to keep it coherent though, so I hope it's at least readable if anyone gives a shit at all.