Sup Forums is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eHbNU9WuVgw
youtube.com/watch?v=Be_pWWlf0xA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>>/9gag/
normified memes are no memes at all

nyan.cat

With the mortality rate being the way its going the way its going to keep going to go...this will probably be a reality before we can smoke our shitbutts on live stream. And yes I just now posted this before I premeditated my waste of potential underestimated suicide.

youtube.com/watch?v=eHbNU9WuVgw

a true internet god knows how to get into irc through a command line.

a true internet god knows what irc is.

Nigga dats entry level shit. True internet gods don't even visit 4trannies anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=Be_pWWlf0xA

oh, i'm still here, and i first got online in 1983.

> in b4 "the internet didn't exist before the web"

way to go.
I had my first internet email address in 1984.

I am not surprised that it's turned into a globally connected knowledge database with tons of media,
but I am surprised at the number of fags who use it so trivally
for posting food photos, trolling, and downloading tiny media files to enjoy on mediocre equipment (like 3V amplifiers into lowest-bidder earbuds).

Did you use a Commodore Vic 20?

I was too cheap to spring for the modem, but I sure did get an A on my science project by writing a crappy video game on it.

True

not him
this is me

I had a C=64 with 1200 baud modem in 1984 to access my college's mainframes,
but it was the mainframe itself that was internet connected.

LAN games were in regular use in my computer lab around 1985-86, and I saw WAN games like MUDs start being used there around 1987-88.

i used a Prime PT-200 dumb terminal connected to a modem. had to type in the hayes codes and everything.

+++
ATH0

is this loli

Yeah it was an add kicker for me to need the 16k expansion cartridge and only be at 25% of the Commodore 64.

Ultimately it wasn't the cost of the modem, but that fact that using it was a long distance call to a service that charged per minute...

10 poke (rnd(0)*24)=54272, rnd(0)*255
20 goto 10

this would poke random values into the sound chip control registers in a loop. most of the time it didn't do much except make faint beeps and hisses, but sometimes it almost sounded like ambient music or far-off thunder storms.

>10 poke (rnd(0)*24)+54272, rnd(0)*255
>20 goto 10

PLUS, not EQUALS. the c-64 keyboard was weird.

It's funny how I used the modem.
When I bought it, I thought it meant I could write my programs from my dorm room instead having to wait for a seat in the lab.
But I didn't know anything about terminal emulator software or TERMCAP entries,
so I couldn't do anything more than line-by-line access.
I didn't know about "ed" because our school pushed Emacs and VI and didn't teach Unix itself.
So the best I could do with it was send email, submit print jobs of my programs (that's how we turned them in to the instructors lol), and see what TTY terminals were free.

>But I didn't know anything about terminal emulator software or TERMCAP entries,
haha, did you ever email someone an entire TERMCAP file as a kind of mail bomb?

good times.

No, that's pretty funny.

The best we could do were CTRL-G bell bombs.
Like I mentioned, although everything was unix,
the school didn't actually teach unix - just enough to edit programs, rename files, etc.

Sort of like the My Cousin Vinny plot - they taught theory,
and figured the students would pick up the practical part on the real job.
I never even saw a Unix manual until I was hired to my first job in 1989.

Me again.

Now that I think about it, the 100 level freshman classes did teach the DEC TOPS-20 operating system, because those over-attended weed-out courses used a different mainframe to keep the load off the real servers.

There was a bourne shell alias file passed around that would create TOPS-20 style aliases for Unix commands. That was what students did when they moved to the real Unix system.
But eventually we did figure out "mv", etc, and used those directly.

such nostalgia.

i once wrote a script for the Vax that would create a dubdirectory, move into it and then loop. it kept going until the path name was too long for vms and it crashed.

then we discovered you can't delete subdirectories recursively and i had to CD down about two hundred subdirs and delete them one by one.

if i'd been smart i would have written a second script to do that. i was a smart-ass but not smart enough.

>1200 baud modem
Fuck. In the early 90s, my mom got me a 2400 when everyone else I knew had a 9600 or greater. Shit was soooo fucking slow.

>i was a smart-ass but not smart enough.

Funny.
Yeah, I think that's the way it was in college -
for me, there wasn't enough time to master all those ins-and-outs,
but always time for an experimental prank.

yeah, 1200 was pretty slow,
but the data transfer was basically command line characters,
not larger media files like executables, images, and music.

In the 1980s, you could work effectively at 1200 baud.

Was gay back then, still is gay

So what does that make does who remember it in a good light? Faggot gods?

>what is googling a foreign term
fucking retard

All I did was BBS hop, and you could tune down the ANSI graphics, but loading pages was still relatively slow.

Was this on a PC?

Yeah, 8088.

I had a vic 20 when I was a kid, but I didn't get very far with it (video adapter went out).