ITT: overrated covers

ITT: overrated covers

everyone says Kurt's version of Man Who Sold The World is better than Bowie's but it isn't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs
youtube.com/watch?v=4n43kwkl434
youtube.com/watch?v=fj0R95qr4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=cLoytewvn0g
youtube.com/watch?v=4eujkWXfSl0
youtube.com/watch?v=o4DC1QLxiY4
youtube.com/watch?v=fw-XK_X8Rm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People only say that because Kurt is dead.

Same for Lake of Fire, but I think Kurt's Plateau is better

Plateau and Oh Me are both better.

The originals or Kurt's?

I think it's better, it makes the story more grounded in reality whereas the psychedelic style of Bowie's original makes it just seem like a fairy tale or something
but their Oh Me and Lake of Fire covers are pretty meh imo, Plateau is decent not as good as the original though, Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam is good too

That dogshit cover of Sound of Silence that Disturbed did the other year
absolutely disgusting

Kurt's Where Did You Sleep Last Night is legendary though.

Oh my god I hated that thing. I don't understand how anyone liked it at all, even fans of Disturbed. It was downright tragic.

Jack White - Love is Blindness

Almost every cover ever really. There's only a few covers that are actually better than the original but I can't think of a single one right now.

Hurt by NIN
Johnny boy cucked them hard on that one, most people think he wrote it

Stop it, I'm pretty sure there's covers better than the original but that one isn't one of them.
Cash's version of Personal Jesus is better than the original now that I remember it.

i can think of some that are better
>Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
>Bjork - Like Someone In Love
>Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me

but yeah, most of the time they don't match up to the original or they just flat out suck

Cash vocals on that are cringey.

You're a fucking faggot

Considering those, and I don't know what I forgot about it, Buckley's Hallelujah is probably the best cover of all time.
Like Someone in Love and Always Something to Remind Me are just a little better than the original, maybe.

Thank you. That thing broke my ears. The original isn't like, my favorite song ever, but it's a beautiful song that didn't deserve such a clueless remake.

another one that just came to me: Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower

Oh shit, true. I usually even forget the original existed in the first place.

I like Cash's cover better but I never liked Hurt to begin with. Worst song on TDS easily, I wish it just ended with the title track.

>anything by anyone being better than Leonard Cohen

People don't think he wrote it because it's better.
They think he wrote it because
A). He's older and they think older = first one to write it and
B). Johnny Cash is one of those artists where every John Q. Public who listens to AM/FM radio has heard of. Nine Inch Nails isn't obscure by any means, but most grandpa's, deep south hillbillies, and soccer moms won't know about NIN.

one of if not the greatest pop music lyricist, i'm not a huge fan of his original recording of Hallelujah, he just sounds so uninterested compared to the choir singing behind him. over all, the music and the choir singing really distracts from the lyrics which are the strongest part

Meat Puppets II is a god tier album and Oh Me is the best song on it, Kurt didn't come close. He fucked up the "invented at your birth" line horribly the first time around, too.

This desu. Only contrarians disagree.

It really is, haven't heard the original and I doubt I really need to

Not only that but I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston was originally done by Dolly Parton

Hey, fuck you buddy. Leadbelly is easily one of the best bluesmen ever. At least listen to his last sessions.

I actually enjoy more the original.

>tfw Manfred Mann's shitty cover of Blinded by the Light is the closest Bruce Springsteen will ever get to a #1 single

why is the world so cruel?

That awful cover of Mad World that's become popular over the years. Makes it all whiny and emo and misses the entire fucking point of the song

Listening to this now for the first time. Seems completely unnecessary. I'd almost have preferred an edgy metal cover rather than playing it mostly straight but not as well.

Nothing beats this live version of Hurt by NIN, cunts can fuck off with their bullshit that Jonny Cash made it good eafd

youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs

Yeah, I dunno what the fuck they were thinking with that cover, all those goofy space FX in the background and vocals that take all the humor out of the song. Worse yet people didn't even like it that much, they just thought it was funny that "deuce" sounded like "douche," tee hee

Not having a #1 doesn't mean all that much though, chart placings have inherent randomness to them, I'll bet a lot of Bruce's top 10 hits sold more overall and lasted longer in people's minds than the #1s of the time.

did actually do a good cover in the same concert

youtube.com/watch?v=4n43kwkl434

youtube.com/watch?v=fj0R95qr4Hc
not the original, but a totally different take on the song. I like it

ummm...... waht?
Davis is dead too.

youtube.com/watch?v=cLoytewvn0g

The Midge Ure cover however, really is better than Bowie

Yeah, but people saying Kurt's version is better far far predates Bowie's death.

Elton John's cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is better than the original

neck yourself

That cover was the most bombastic, over-the-top, pretentious, ridiculous, saccharine, and over-produced thing I had heard on the radio in the last 10 years.

Have you heard Mark Lanegan's cover of the song? It takes sort of a darker tone, but I like it, it's pretty interesting. I think Kurt is on the recording too
youtube.com/watch?v=4eujkWXfSl0

Dolly Parton managed to turn Stairway to Heaven into an surprisingly awesome bluegrass tune

youtube.com/watch?v=o4DC1QLxiY4

youtube.com/watch?v=fw-XK_X8Rm0
I mean it's good but it will N E V E R top Stevie's version

I hadn't heard that before, it's really good. What a versatile song

A lot of that had to do with MTV's Unplugged being one of their better albums

>Cash's version of Personal Jesus is better than the original.
Heresy

I hate this meme. Johnny's cover is ridiculously overrated. I'm not even that big of a NIN fan, but the original is great and better.

Mark Lanegan and Screaming Trees are so underrated.

Changing shit -> dirt was a good move imo
Never a huge cash fan but I think his involvement also gave edgy tween NIN the credit he deserves for writing such a timeless song

This.
A few of my friends liked it and thought I would because I used to listen to Disturbed when I was younger. Boy were they fucking wrong, what a melodramatic piece of shit.