Now that the dust has settled, how does Sup Forums view Jared Leto's take on the Joker...

Now that the dust has settled, how does Sup Forums view Jared Leto's take on the Joker? Could his version compete with Ledger's should he have good enough material to work with in the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OG2nEPYXL7c
youtube.com/watch?v=7JCdCLgZrBI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

honka performance

Also, threadly reminder Leto is 44 and looks like this

Leto is more true to the char

Doubtful.

Ledger's interpretation was something out of the box, and then he went and died which sealed the deal.

We obviously don't have access to all the footage of Leto's, but it kind of reeks of trying too hard. Ledger's Joker happened and it feels like they are trying to compete with it by making this Joker just as memorable but with a different angle.

Personally i also feel that Ledger's interpretation was a lot more original when compared to Leto's which has a lot of easy to identify influences outside of just the Joker.

With so little screentime though they do leave themselves openings to tinker with this interpretation in future installations, so it's conceivable that Leto could end up being a better or more memorable Joker. I don't think it's very likely though.

I'M DA JOKUH BAYBEE

>implying
youtube.com/watch?v=OG2nEPYXL7c

neither are original
you're just a pleb who is too newfag too ignorant to know any better now you do

Ledger's was a realistic take on the character
Nicholson's was Nicholson being cartoonish
Hamill's was literally cartoon
Leto's was a comic original with tweaks on looks (imagine Joker in New 52)

I'm sure had he gotten more screentime he would have saved the movie and been fan favourite.

Why is Leto trying so hard for Joker like it's the biggest role of his career ever? It's just a comic book villain who's severely overrated right now

Too tame
The joker is more crazy

Leto and Romero > Nicholson > Ledger.

Hamill doesn't count.

Edgy try hard shit that made no sense

MOMS

>forgetting the GOAT Cesar Romano Joker
Lets be real here, he was best Joker

>Jared Leto's take
That's the problem

Holy shit you are a fucking retard.

How is this even possible? I look young for my age but I'd like to look this young at 44. What does it take?

He's barely in it, and what little he was felt completely out of place and not related to the filme at all. Like that scene where he asks for machine guns, that looked like a interesting 5-6 minutes scene but it was boiled down to 45 seconds.

I'm not a fan of the looks at all, he looks like a Marylyn Manson juggalo. But I'm glad they went in a different direction than the previous one, no point in doing it the same thing again.

Hamill is faithful to most of the comics
Ledger was more of a terrorist/anarchist
Nicholson was kinda of a goofy gang leader
Leto seems like is going for a gangster/mobster/pimp I guess, but we'll see

Looking foward to see Affleck direct him, because suicide squad was fucking shit

>Ceaser Romano
>Romano
>ano
It's Romero you pleb

Nicholson is still the best. Deal with it Nolan Fags

genetics mostly. He might have had some subtle cosmetic work done on wrinkles, hair and jawline. Enrique Iglesias looks young as fuck at that age too but he straight up wears a good wig

You can't judge his joker yet. Not really. He got about 10 minutes of screen time, most of which was for Harley backstory.
All that aside, I liked what they did with The Joker. All these people saying he's not comic accurate are forgetting that there's never been a completely comic accurate joker outside of Mark Hamill's animated work. It's film, and in film there's always room for interpretation and what they did worked, and I would personally like to see it work some more.

Also...
Nicholson really is still the best.

There wasn't nearly enough footage presented to compare the two. As it stands, Ledger pretty much wins by default. Leto didn't really seem like the Joker - just a weird looking crime lord - up until near the end where he comes in a helicopter, spraying an AK, laughing his ass off. Everything else was meh. They romanticized his relationship with Harley too much.

Honestly, it's really a fair comparison. Ledger's Joker is perfect for the Nolanverse, but he doesn't really have much in common with the comic book character, mainly because Ledger's Joker isn't technically insane. He has a damn firm grasp on reality.

Leto's Joker seems legitimately fucking nuts and could do great things with the right material.

This raging faggot couldn't even compete with Hayden Christensen's Anakin.

>tfw 23 but look 30 but know that your wrinkles will progress until you look 50 when you're 35
My only consolation is that I'll make a fucking distinguished old man assuming I don't shrivel too soon

>enough with the clown

He's the best film Joker we've ever had.

Joker is supposed to be an insane crime boss that makes everyone uncomfortable. He actively controls a chunk of Gotham's crime.

That's what Leto portrayed.

sounded like a poor Richard Nixon impersonation

youtube.com/watch?v=7JCdCLgZrBI

>Jared Leto's laugh

This desu.

Romero's importance can't be understated since he was the template for every other portrayal. Nicholson was based on him, but with a darker edge.

Leto is full-on Azzarello Joker.

I genuinely liked him.

I wasn't saying that Ledger's joker was wholly original, he clearly had influences. But he was a more unique interpretation of the character and Leto's version is more in line with the comics and as well as having other contemporary pop culture influences.

Honestly one of the best. Seen the movie 3 times now and as of today I now have this. Leto needs to be celebrated more

He does a great job at being very psychotic and unsettling and unpredictable.

I hope he returns in a sequel with Harley

reminder: these are his deleted scenes

If I were to get a tattoo of Jared's Joker, it would be something like this

They really fucked up with the execution of him
They shouldn't have even put him in if he wasn't a prominent character, and then putting him in a fucking music video?
Just completely wrong compared to the way TDK handled him

We can only hope that they use some of his deleted scenes (him shooting up a restaurant) in another film.

He better be in the Batman standalone film

>that tattoo
baka so many talentless hacks calling themselves "artists"

Leto's joker's acting was good, but the punk-chic and grilles kind of ruin it.

Romero would've been better. In his current condition.

I disagree. His make up design is fantastic.

Also a big thumbs up to the costume designer who made sure he was wearing something new in every different scene we saw him.

Why is that important?

It shows that he's lost it. He changes outfits even though he doesn't need to.

You probably change outfits each day. Have you lost it?

I had a roommate like this. Does that make him a twisted fucking psychopath like Leto?

Do you really want to see a Joker in that 40's purple mobster blazer through the whole film? I didn't

It would not bother me. Deadshot and Harley were in the same outfit the whole movie.

yeah but the Joker was the most interesting character (not to mention he had the shortest screen time out of all the cast so it made him stand out more to see him in new clothes each scene)

No one was interesting.

>not even a hint of frown lines
Impossible man, EVERYONE has frown lines at that age.

Is he immortal?

Well he's literally Jesus so yep.

>all "problematic" parts of the joker/harley relationship removed and they're changed to be romeo and juliet in bad makeup

Mark Hammill had it right, joker is asexual

I've never looked that good

Platonically in love with Batman, Joker is best Joker

>Could his version compete with Ledger's should he have good enough material to work with in the future?

I don't think so, i felt him like some kind of random villain, in the movie he just appears and dissapears, i really thought he was going to be involved in the main plot but nope

by the way, where the fuck is my "i can't wait to show you my toys?" that part wasn't in the movie what the fuck

anyway, no, even with a good plot involving him i don't think he is going to be better than Ledger's, but i can see him rising as the most violent, dark and damaged version of the Joker if he becomes the main antagonist in one of the movies

Is he going to play Jesus?

Even Willem Dafoe played Jesus and he reminds me of Jared with all the different performances he has been in

>Platonically in love with Batman

That's stupid and you are stupid. There is no love there, only need. Joker has a need for chaos, Batman has a need for order. They are natural counterweights in that regard.

>It shows that he's lost it. He changes outfits even though he doesn't need to
Holy shit. MOM'S

so bad even WB cut them

>that part wasn't in the movie what the fuck
because Joker never showed him the toys

but we did see his actual toys still

Also the toys line looked like it was used from a different take. Maybe its just me but the kitchen scene used in the final film is all one take of Jared talking and so the editor probably thought it wouldn't fit to suddenly edit the toys line in their (also he had already touched that prison guards face a lot)

Why the fuck would he show him his toys?

the guard took the bribe to deliver the cell phone, no need to bring toys into it, the transaction is over at that point

character design is cool but he just appeared like 3 minutes. he looked better in the trailers than in the movie.

haha this joker is so fukkin gay lmaao did anyone really think he was cool or is this just a meme??

What happened to the prison guards wife? I don't think it got resolved

I'm half drunk and you guys saying toys over and over is making this really gay.

that's because the scenes from the trailer ACTUALLY have him doing stuff but WB were like "nah his subplot differs too much from the Suicide Squad so reshoot some scenes with him and Harley and cut out the rest"

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

His joker is good its not a stand alone joker like heath ledgers

Letos joker is meant to be paired with harley quin.

I can't wait to show you my dubs

HONKA
O
N
K
A

Defoe and Bale have have both played Jesus, if Leto played him he'd be the third American Psycho alum to take on the role

Bale played Jesus? since when

And yes no doubt Bale, Dafoe and Leto are the Holy Trinity of so many different character roles

I mean changing their appearance in many different roles

LOOK AT DAFOE HERE

I got more of a Jim carrey riddled vibe.

buddy

this joker literally says HONKA HONKA to a black bull /w a bull ring

tf

People said he tried too hard, but I don't know, people said that about Depp's Hunter in Fear and Loathing too.

I thought he was a joy to watch on screen, all his outfits were fab as fuck and you could tell Leto really loved having this role, tryhard or not, his enthusiasm really showed.

Only enjoyable bit of this shitty movie, wish there was more of him.

Joker should've been the villain so Leto could get more screen time. People are judging him on a few awkward scenes but given more space and an actual villainous direction to go down other than chasing Harley would've been good. I think Jared Leto did a good job but the story was garbage and that is skewing people's opinion.

I actually really liked that part of the trailer when he had the smoke grenade and his gold pistol and I was waiting for that in the movie. And also he got all burnt up, I guess that's from after the heli crash? I honestly think I would like this Joker if it weren't for the tattoos and voice.

What was up with the baby clothes?

I would turn into a bimbo clown slut for him. Who wouldn't?

From what was shown in SS him and Harley are obviously made to compliment each other in the movies to come. All the people judging him poorly from something like 10 minutes of screen time aren't taking that into account.
I think once he's more of a focus in a story he'll be viewed in better light.
All that said I feel like he played the psychopath that is The Joker a lot better than Heath Ledger.
Heath's joker strayed too far from the source material and was more of a terrorist than he was the Clown Prince of Crime.

>crazy, unhinged pyschopath
>meticulously arranges all of his weapons in a concentric circle to lie in the middle of them laughing

riiiiiiiiight

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think he was the best joker. Joker's character isn't really a complex character, it's a guy in green makeup in a cape flick. As far as the character realization goes, Margot Robbie and Leto are just as deserving of an Oscar as Heath ledger was. But this time the joker actually made sense as a character, and seemed more like a kingpin with motivation that actually is a part of Gotham than a new kid on the block that terrorizes the town for 1 movie.

>those mitten hands

Kek, find a better artist next time

He was barely in the movie and he didn't do shit, so I can't possibly have an opinion.

He might as well have played the Joker in an SNL sketch for the amount of screentime he had.

>What was up with the baby clothes?
It's poetry

>Joker has baby clothes in a room filled with knives and guns
>A scene later has a vision of Harley and Joker with a baby

Margot Robbie and Leto are the best casting choice ever. I could not picture any other actors playing those 2 and being in the scenes together