How about a good, old-fashioned /proge/ general?

How about a good, old-fashioned /proge/ general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeLhq7XGQ79tGX3hyxxZYtSBtiIE5U75O
youtube.com/watch?v=D4aARAFbMgg
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6BVoNV1_s
youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is slowly becoming my all time favourite. I love this style of Prog in particular
Have you found the secret Nixon yet OP?

>tfw you finally break through the "prime" meme and discover dozens and dozens of fantastic albums by Prog legends you never even examined because they weren't from the "golden age"

God bless Argentina

STEP BACK, PROG PLEBS. AND YOU KRAUTBOYS BETTER WATCH OUT TOO. CANTERBURY PATRICIANS COMING THROUGH

Yes

I know that feel
in b4 ">pink floyd >prog"

I will post this every thread until you like it

CAN YOU TELL ME WHEREEEEEE MY COUNTRY LIESSS

Show me 1 fucking krautshit album that's more than an 8/10, there are 10/10 prog albums, 9/10 prog albums, but krautrock is just subpar

krautrock is a different thing entirely, it's annoying that it gets lumped in with prog

Actually it is pretty similar, but krautrock is I guess calmer? Watered down? It's definetely not ass in your face as prog.

>challenging the krautlords to open combat in a prog thread
I'm gonna drum motorik using your balls as a hi-hat, your arse as a bass drum and your face as a snare

find how far down the prog albums are in the Scaruffi patrician ranking chart.

completely disagree with that. stuff like neu! maybe, but "calm" is the last word I'd use to describe can. krautrock is a stupid term for that reason, it's just a variety of unrelated german 70s rock.

Holy fucking shit this album

>Hey you guys like this? NUH UH MUH KRAUTROCK IS THE BEST, NEVERMIND IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME

-fucking sucks

Favorite release from this year so far? I liked the new Mike Oldfield album quite a bit, and the new Cast.
Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei
Annexus Quam - Osmose
this, some prog was very tight and melodic, influenced by pre 20th century classical, I'd imagine, while krautrock and several other scenes went for more groove based improvisational composition styles and took inspiration from some modernist composers
At least Scaruffi is less anti prog than Christgau
Also Canterbury scene is prog, so prog is literally #2 on the chart

if you continue to dismiss the Prog mastery of Kraut I'll slide this thread from Kraut into Ambient.
JUST LIKE THE LATE 70S
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?

>Canterbury is Prog
THEY KNOW
SHUT IT DOWN

enjoying the new anathema - springfield is a great song

Roger Waters' new album is pretty fantastic, Return to Ommadawn is probably the cake so far though.

does anyone know if Steve Hackett's new album is any good? I've only listened to Voyage of the Acolyte from his solo stuff

SAID THE UNI-FAUN TO HIS TRUE LOVE'S EYES

>At least Scaruffi is less anti prog than Christgau
Scaruffi is PRO prog rock if anything

It's not?

Alright Im sorry, Kraut is """good"""

>Circlejerking the same fucking 25 albums over and over again every fucking thread
Post some obscure or underappreciated prog my niggas and say what you think about them
>Inb4 that one gentle giant faggot posts acquiring the taste and their other shit albums

Pic rel is a weak 4/5

Jacula and Italo-Prog in general is underrated as fuck

ok so I just bought and listened to this bc you memesters kept calling it the original prog album and this shit blew my mind, and while its not really prog, it's definitely almost there

it's more subtle, and genuine.

Everything else is trash

implying it could even compare to Keith Moon's experimental prog/hard kraut/proto-grunge masterpiece

prog / alt country aoty coming through

better Pez

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeLhq7XGQ79tGX3hyxxZYtSBtiIE5U75O

thats literally just folk.
you can't meme albums into being prog

youtube.com/watch?v=D4aARAFbMgg
literally the same thing as pink floyd. doesn't matter if you think its prog or not, it is.

Yeah and only maybe half of pink floyd's catalog is prog, just because it has a saxophone doesn't make it prog.
Did you also consider that something progressive in the 70s isn't progressive anymore?

>something progressive in the 70s isn't progressive anymore
jesus christ it doesn't matter when something comes out. are you saying that if *insert prog album* came out this year instead of in the 70s and all the similar acts had already did their thing FIRST that it wouldn't be considered prog JUST because its not breaking new ground this time around? its not a magical race to do things first and ignore anything that comes out afterwards, its a genre. get your head out of your ass

>if it wasn't made 50 years ago its not prog

"The term "progressive rock" is synonymous with "art rock", "classical rock" and "symphonic rock".[10] Historically, "art rock" has been used to describe at least two related, but distinct, types of rock music.[11] The first is progressive rock as it is generally understood, while the second usage refers to groups who rejected psychedelia and the hippie counterculture in favour of a modernist, avant-garde approach.[11][nb 1] Similarities between the two terms are that they both describe a mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility. However, art rock is more likely to have experimental or avant-garde influences.[13] "Prog" was devised in the 1990s[14] as a shorthand term, but later became a transferable adjective, also suggesting a wider palette than that drawn on by the most popular 1970s bands.[15]

Progressive rock is varied and is based on fusions of styles, approaches and genres, tapping into broader cultural resonances that connect to avant-garde art, classical music and folk music, performance and the moving image.[16] Although a unidirectional English "progressive" style emerged in the late 1960s, by 1967, progressive rock had come to constitute a diversity of loosely associated style codes.[17] When the "progressive" label arrived, the music was dubbed "progressive pop" before it was called "progressive rock",[18][nb 2] with the term "progressive" referring to the wide range of attempts to break with standard pop music formula.[20] A number of additional factors contributed to the acquired "progressive" label: lyrics were more poetic; technology was harnessed for new sounds; music approached the condition of "art"; some harmonic language was imported from jazz and 19th-century classical music; the album format overtook singles; and the studio, rather than the stage, became the focus of musical activity, which often involved creating music for listening, not dancing."

Spectral Mornings is an amazing album, as is Defector. As for his newer stuff, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon is worth a listen.

That song is Prog/Psych/Space rock just from the intro alone user.

This album is good

Speaking of Obscure Prog...
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6BVoNV1_s

how do i get into king crimson?

It's literally called progressive rock, it is meant to progress rock as a genre.
There are plenty of things that were progressive in the 60s and 70s that aren't anymore.
Like playing something that isn't based in blues in terms of composition. Or using a synthesizer. Or
And also yes, people wouldn't cream their pants if ITCOTCK was released today, but someone had already done it in '69, hundreds of jazz rock albums are released every year.
This song is as progressive as whatever Coldplay's latest single is, I guarantee it.
not what I said but ok
>literally 15 seconds of ambient synths and a few bendy guitar notes with reverb before going to a simple piano riff/chord progression
>prog/pysch/space rock
Chronologically.

Honestly, their latest live album (Radical Action) gives a nice overview of their career and different sounds. Bizarrely enough, its available on Spotify.

so you're a wrong generation kiddy who doesn't think prog is a genre. ok. dont reply again.

Start with In the Court of the Crimson King. Then, check out Red, Discipline, and Thrak. After you've heard those three, pick which one you liked best and check out the other albums from that albums era. Then explore the other eras. Then obsessively listen to the many live releases.

not an argument

I would suggest listening to their music, possibly in the order it was released in. Maybe limit yourself to studio albums to begin with.

Prog rock = rock with compositions that aren't entirely in the pop format. Thats LITERALLY the definition. Albums that sound a certain way are also lumped in by association making it a genre. It doesn't have to break new ground to be considered prog. That is just how it was coined decades ago.

I smell a wrong generation elitist.

That song is literally pop, it's a simple piano ballad with a kenny g tier sax solo drenched in reverb
This entire argument is coming from the fact I don't think some meme country song is prog.
There are bands today that are progressing rock but they don't call themselves progressive rock because the label is associated with symphonic prog and jazz fusion.
I listen to a good amount of 70's styled prog, but the majority of bands that play that style today can't measure up the original innovators of it.

Man you're cool.

this is pretty nice. not prog or progressive though

You know who is progressing the rock genre? 21 pilots. You are defending them.

Its DSOTM with country/folk rock instead of blues. That makes it prog in my book.

that doesn't make any sense and you wouldn't be able to explain yourself in detail

They aren't though, from what I've heard they pretty much play rap rock/nu metal with a piano and synthesizer instead of guitar.

Does Sup Forums like prog metal?
youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

>hurr durr generalizations
King Crimson is pretty much folk rock with a black sabbath song at the front and one good song

At this point I can't tell if you're actually defending 21 pilots or just baiting me.
And Sabbath hadn't released a record until 1970 so not even good bait desu.
excellent post

fuck i love that wakeman album. so much of his shit is gold as well

Steve Hillage is my good shit though

holy shit you're retarded

Holy shit I did not know this. I've never thought to even look for KC on Spotify.

Thanks, senpai