Teleportation? is it possible with the technology we have today or not...

teleportation? is it possible with the technology we have today or not. if so what would be needed to build a teleportation device and what could it teleport. for example a human. (this is all theoretical but links to studies would help

> Theoretical
You mean "hypothetical"

they've already done it

We're not even close to anything like this technology. You have to build an entire body atom by atom at the receiving end, or transmit the actual atoms between the sending and receiving spots. It will not happen in our lifetime.

with photons

The real questions are:
Would you let yourself be teleported?
Would it be you and your conciousness on the other end, (after being reassembled) or would it just be a perfect copy of you?

teleportation of particles have been done. doing a whole human is currently impossible. and there's also the question of if you're ripped apart down to the very particles of your being and reassembled, is it still you? did you die? etc. etc.

The real question is
>do you even σ(x)σ(p) ≥ h/4π ?

lets play a game
it's called 'fuck off'
you go first

If we're talking about the same teleportation we use with particles, just on a larger scale...
Then you are being constructed with entirely new particles on location, but it is impossible to make a duplicate. For that reason, I think people will grow used to the idea.

This.
I would never teleport even if they use the exact same molecules to rebuild me on the other end, because I would have died and I wouldn't be the same me that I was before.

>currently impossible
>currently

Do you understand *WHY* quantum teleportation works? Or why things work differently across 30 orders of magnitude in mass/distance/velocity?

>they test teleportation on humans and they all come out the other end as philosophical zombies or just plain retarded

and helium

yup. that's the one. we've also done time travel on the same scale.

Heres an idea, just modify the hadron collider.

did you really ask me if i understand quantum teleportation? well, let me surprise you with my answer: no. no i don't. and unless you're a phd quantum physicist who's willing to post picture evidence of your certificate, then neither do you.

just let me say that i wouldn't be surprised if it's impossible on larger scales. but i still don't know. i leave that to the scientists.

Well physically you'd be exactly the same unless something goes wrong, since the teleporter would rebuild you molecule for molecule. But yeah, I don't think consciousness would transfer over.

Then again it's impossible to tell whether we are the same as we were years ago. If we were clones, we wouldn't know it since we would have the same memories as the original. The only way to know for sure would be to find the original, where in the case of teleportation, would be impossible since the original would disappear.

tl;dr miss me with that shit, science has gone too far

Well, in theory I think it _should_ be possible.

The only issue I can see is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle would cause you to be unable to maintain an accurate positioning for all your particles.
However, if I'm not mistaken the quantum teleportation experiments done so far have found a way to circumvent it.

>inb4 Heisenberg compensators /startrek

Not possible with the tech we have. What teleportation seeks to do is move something from point A to point B in the quickest amount of time. For example, driving from NYC to LA. Quantum Teleportation/Entanglement is like taking apart the car, packing it on a jet, and then reassembling it at the destination. It's much different than creating a wormhole or something and walking through. It's object manipulation vs environment manipulation.

I suppose the real question is what attributes to the continuity of consciousness. What keeps you thinking you are the same person, second to second.

>you're ripped apart down to the very particles of your being and reassembled, is it still you? did you die? etc. etc.

I've always wondered if the "you" that would come out the other side would essentially be a clone, none the wiser of the original's death. "You" are still alive for all intents and purposes, but is it just a copy?

>Heisenberg compensators /startrek
wrong. not the heisenberg i was thinking about.

everyone's wondering about that. everything suggests you'd die and an identical replica would be made. unless we can prove that souls or something similar are real and that they migrate to the new body.

I'd settle for just teleporting objects, if that's the case, I guess. Still very useful

Currently all teleportation methods that are possible today would either be copies of yourself, or would require you to die, then be reassembled elsewhere with the chance of you not retaining your memories and reverting back to instinct.

The question is, how can we quarantee that the regenerated cells jumpstart and whether this is now a clone and the original just got disintegrated.

yeah, that would be great. but tbh, if we had that technology, we'd probably be able to just assemble particles into whatever we want, so no need sending anything.

Think like a dinosaur (might be slightly off with title) is a great short story on this topic.

Sauce?

How can you be sure you're "you" when you wake up in the morning? :)

I'm not quite sure how I should answer that question, to be completely honest.

When I wake up I can prove to myself that I am definitely me. The real question is, am I the same guy as the one that went to bed last night and will I cease to exist when I go to bed tonight?