Progressive Rock

How did Progressive rock go from being one of the best genres of rock music in the 70's to one of the worst ever since the 80's?

Punk.
Also, the best 70s prog rock bands reached their peak during that era. They couldn't progress any further.

Except for King Crimson

This
Also an effort to stay relevant in the 80s by integrating digital effects, samplers, and synthesizers banished many rock bands to the bar circuit for the rest of thier careers

>fedora tier fans who only want gaudy symphonic garbage
>the music industry favoring sharp synths, big simple riffs, hooks made for drunk coked up white kids and reverbed snares
>prog nerds being big into synths and tech
>progressive being really regressive and holding back newer or wider influences
>showboating and egotism overpowering good songwriting
>steven wilson

because it stopped being progressive rock and started being prog rock. the fact that you think it's a genre is what killed it. by definition, "progressive" rock shouldn't have an identifiable sound. luckily "progressive" rock music didn't die in 1974, it just took different forms and different names

but steven wilson is one of the good modern progressive rock artists, who doesn't pretend that no music has been made since the 70s

>but steven wilson is one of the good modern progressive rock artists, who doesn't pretend that no music has been made since the 70s

fuck Steven Wilson the artist. His current take on 70s prog rock is bullshit that lacks the bite those who came before him.

Steven Wilson the album remixer, on the other hand, is a fucking god.

>His current take on 70s prog rock is bullshit that lacks the bite those who came before him.
it's just the last two albums. you're discounting a 20 year career. you can't name a single 70s prog album that sounds like insurgentes

It hasn't you're just easily influenced by mainstream media publications like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork.

>Punk.
And then what does Lydon do? Creates a prog band. Rock music is a fucking scam. Only the labels win.

pt is the foo fighters of prog

well you've certainly convinced me!

Because Radiohead, Joanna Newsom, Evanescence, Steven Wilson and Death Grips are the only people truly progressing rock and Sup Forums turned them all into a meme.

prog rock the genre exists whether you wrong generation kiddies like it or not.

I certainly didn't deny its existence

>wrong generation kiddies
you might want to rethink what that actually means and how it doesn't apply here at all

>the only REAL TRVE PROG is from the 70s. aren't I mature and cultured because I like OLD music XD

The bands were extremely volatile with members leaving many of them in between albums and several ending up with only one or maybe even no founding members, then they tried to ride the trends in the 80s and failed.
Probably had something to do with the fact that hippie culture was over too, labels screwed a lot of prog bands.

that's the exact opposite of what I was saying - that plenty of progressive rock music has been made since the 70s, but no one calls it that any more because they (mistakenly) associate "prog" with that very specific sound and period.

Its not a mistake. Genre's are composed of similar sounding albums. You are being an elitist in asserting that "Progressive Rock" is an enlightened movement in the scene instead of a genre.

Not trying to be rude. We just have different views of what constitutes prog rock. I consider ANYTHING that has that blues/psych/jazz/space/folk rock sound combined with interesting song structures and an album focus instead of song focus to be prog rock.

you're still misunderstanding. I'm suggesting that there are two distinct things - prog rock, a genre, and progressive rock, an idea. there's no elitism in making that distinction

When MOST people talk about prog rock OR progressive rock they mean the genre, not the movement of progressing the genre, unless of course you're a believer IN the movement. Thats what I mean by elitism. My bad. Doesn't matter in the end anyway.

I was just answering OP's question about why the genre stagnated - because it became a genre

Post punk bands were big into synths too, although some created classics and other flavor of the month synth pop. And how exactly did progressive rock bands hold back wider influences? Should every prog band have become an AOR, synth pop band? Not to mention that a good number of them actually did.