Have there been any films or television shows that did lovecraftian horror right?

Have there been any films or television shows that did lovecraftian horror right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2zv54tXt-0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What makes something Lovecratian?

DUDE NIGGER CAT LMAO

And this is why Sup Forums is the worst board.

Damn good question that gets a different answer depending on who you ask. HPL is far more influential than he was effective. The majority of his stories are turgid unreadable shit, but his essay on supernatural horror is a must-read.

Not really, no. His shit is very hard to put into motion, because the stuff he describes is vague and a director would have to be very subtle about certain details, which basically can't be done in this age because fuck you.

The best you can hope for is that they adapt At The Mountains of Madness, and inevitably turn it into an action adventure movie at the very end with quirky quips and one liners.

The best parts of The Mist.

There's a couple others... can't bring em to mind.

On a different note, he book '14' by Peter Clines could make a cool movie. Very cool take on the Lovecraft mythos there.

>The best you can hope for is that they adapt At The Mountains of Madness, and inevitably turn it into an action adventure movie at the very end with quirky quips and one liners.
Just pretend the thing is a loose adaptation.

Monsters? No. But True Detective season 1 does a great job of capturing that sense of overwhelming, nightmarish dread, until the shit ending.

Horror fiction that emphasizes the cosmic horror of the unknown (and in some cases, unknowable) more than gore or other elements of shock, though these may still be present.

The mouth of madness

Dagon has a great tone of general weirdness to it and some cool effects/design work. They conveyed the alienness and hostility of the locals from The Shadow Over Innsmouth pretty well.

Also I find it funny that a sequence from this movie made it into Resident Evil 4. The game, not the movie.

The first question was perfectly valid. Most people would tell you it's anything involving a tentacle even though they've never bothered to read even one of his 50000 ten page stories.

>le unfilmable subtlety

>YOU WANT SUMMA THIS?

This. An important part of lovecraft is leaving the best parts incomprehensible. Alien geometries by necessity cant be depicted unless your on a lot of drugs.

>implying you wouldn't

John Carpenter's The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness.

I will piss off many fans with this but Stuart Gordon's movies are too amateurish, trashy and cheap looking while taking themselves too seroiusly to appreciate them. They simply fucking suck for what they are.

No.

There's been a ton of stuff that's had traces of his stories but nothing that really succeeded in translating his works.
That would be like taking Troll and calling it Tolkienian.

Actually, he often goes into great detail in describing and explaining things. It's just that understanding tends to bring madness or death to his characters, most of them the anglophile gentleman type that wouldn't have reached any "understandings" trough drug usage, which was never an element of his work.

Oh god I would.
Dagon is quintessential Lovecraft cinema.

>FUCK DAGON
>Yes!

Are you kidding me, those people we always hopped up on opium and shit.

Dagon and From Beyond really aren't good adaptions though.
But they are great B-Movies.
Stuart Gordon's sensibilities suited Re-Animator perfectly though, which was Lovecraft's most pulpiest, comedic work which he pretty much just wrote for the money at the suggestion of an editor but had a great time doing so.

I think the stranger things has the potential to explore his style of writing and mythos but the movie that I think nails mountains of madness is the Thing, in terms of overall vibe and spirit. What I want is a one on one adaptation where we follow an expedition of scientists and they soon discover the lost alien civilization and feel the full weight of their discovery. But wont fully outright spoon feed the audience of the lore.

That's Stephen King bruv, not Lovecraft.

>mfw that At the Mountains of Madness adaptation with Tom Cruise was cancelled or is on hiatus

These days? Tentacles and madness.

Really though, a lot of his stuff(and indeed his best stuff) is just sort of straight up gothic horror with a tentacles and madness spice to it.

Nah. Not even in his Dream Cycle stuff is any use of Opiates indicated, Lovecraft being a staunch anti-druggie and all, though there has been a trend with later authors and inspired media to make that connection for him.

>Dagon and From Beyond really aren't good adaptions though.

You're absolutely right.
IMHO you can't do a perfect adaption of Lovecraft's work on it's own, but you can combine stories (as above for example) or use the same core elements that were in his works, to make some truly terrific interpretations.

>Stuart Gordon's sensibilities suited Re-Animator perfectly though

Couldn't agree more. I loved Re-Animator for it's borderline black-comedy elements. Not so much 2 and 3 though.

This, though Stephen King himself was heavily inspired by Lovecraft.

He really, literally is one of us if we were born in the late 1800s or early 1900s

>implying any of us have girlfriends

Have a lot of Sup Forums posters married wealthy Jewish widows?

That's the dream, I still have time.

There was that black and white silent movie they made in 2005, it was not bad at all. And of course there is Call of Cthulu game, i will never forget that escape from Innsmouth hotel.
youtube.com/watch?v=2zv54tXt-0Y

>wealthy

Nope. She owned a failing hat store when he married her if I remember correctly. They were both failures.

We also don't dress and educate ourselves to impress at the cost of unimportant necessities such as food (a tendency which probably was the contributor to his untimely death), keep off of drugs and alcohol or do important creative things.

>i will never forget that escape from Innsmouth hotel

Can anyone?

>Implying I'm not over 100 years old

ishiggydiggydoo

Dagon. Caprenter's The Thing. Alien. In the Mouth of Madness. First season of True Detective. La Herencia Valdemar (both parts). That's it.

>lol lovecraft that means like, tentacles and stuff right?

true hórrórkińó

I thought Call of Cthulhu and the Whisperer in the Darkness were worthwhile in the least.

>mfw literally on psychedelic drugs in this very thread and listening to Lovecraft audiostories at the same time

>that pic
So fucking right, man. Cthulhu is just random dude with tentacles, Dagon/Hydra combo with Deep Ones are better, or my personal favourite - Yog.
i am the gate i am the key

>La Herencia Valdemar
Google only brings up non-english results.
What's this movie about?

she was the only good actor in that movie and perfect casting

I though that this board was full of Carpenter fags. In the Mouth of Madness is pure Lovecraft Kino.

>Yog
You mean YOG-SOTHOTH?
youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4

Evil Dead 2

It's a movie where the protagonist succeeds at defeating evil, but loses everything in the process, including bits of his own human body which turns against him, and discovers that his life is bound by fate

Creepy old house with lovecraftian shit going on (cults, weird people, literally spawn of cthulhu in the basement). Campy, but fun, almost on par with Re-Animator, but everyone knows based Herbert West.

the filmography of john carpenter.

No, I'm one of those people who read a bunch of Lovecraft in my early teens and then became "jaded" to it and switched over to being a Ligotti diehard now at 23.

I don't like horror movies on principle, though there are a few exceptions, and I certainly don't like any Lovecraft "adaptions," with the exception of Re-animator, because it didn't try very hard to be the same story and works excellently as a gory comedy.

Pays equal, if not more homage to Stephen King though.
Cigarette Burns is also great, though it could be argued that it's Chambersian (unlike True Detective which, although constantly referencing the King In Yellow arguably owes more to Lovecraft and Ligotti)

I'd love to see a straight up Lovecraft adaption by Sam Raimi and his brothers some day.
Just imagine his take on the Steamboat vs Cthulhu, or the battle on the hill with The Dunwich Horror.

Really only Dagon and then only at the beginning before it turns into a normal horror movie.

>At The Mountains of Madness
leaked script was quite good, 7/10 imhofamdesu

Prometheus.

Fite me

Holy shit that's a metal music video.
I always thought that stop motion for comsic horrorsjuxtaposed with normal motion for everything was always a nice freaky effect.
It's as though they exist in so many dimensions that we can barely comprehend most of their movement.

>his monsters were predicated on impossible horrors too complex to be descibed in human language
>people still try and adapt his shit

I don't understand. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a major motion picture with a cat named Niggerman.

True Detective Season 1 to some extent

The Borderlands is probably the best Lovecraft movie even though it has nothing to do with Lovecraft.

How did they make Louisiana feel so spooky? It feels just like how Lovecraft describes the local countryside (can't remember what state, Rhode Island?).

Have you ever been? The swamps full of monster that can consume you, the multi generation inbreeding of hillbillies, the gernal disregard for modern culture. It's a perfect storm. An entire society that doesn't play buy our rules and way of living. They simply replaced the old colonial families of the north east with the old families of the swamps.

forgot pic

Keep saying how something is so weird it can't be described and turns people insane so you never have to actually do any real descriptive writing and let the audience think shit up for you because you're a lazy HACK

Do you think a similar Lovecraftian story could be possible in Europe, let's say France or Denmark. I'm guessing Scandinavian directors could be up to it seeing all the dark tv series that they're exporting now.

All those regions that skirt the arctic circle I think are rife with potential for an HP story setting. The isolation is the major factor that keeps the creep factor real.

>tfw no Uxia gf

I'd say
>Cronenberg directing a film based on True Detective, screenplay by Carpenter

also scored by Carpenter

You sound like a baby that needs everything spoonfed to them. Did you bitch about not seeing the xenomorph enough in Alien, too?

You should reread the description of the ancient city in Mountains of Madness. HP doesn't just say ITS 2 SPOOKY UR CRAZEE NOW.

>le carpenter score meme
oh you mean "dun dun dun dun dun dun dun *vwooom* dun dun dun dun dun dun "

t. I have never read anything by Lovecraft

exactly
beautiful

Simple =/= bad. Carpenter fucking nailed it and you know it.

I have read only a single short story of his. Didn't really impress me that much. Recommend some truly great Lovecraft-libro

Dunwich horror, mountains of madness, Reanimator, and I guess rats in the walls, if you're pressed for time.

Dont forget "A colour out of space"

He could just watch the film adaptation.

I've seen this kino famalam, didn't know the screenplay was by Lovecraft. Is this what the whole lovecraftian horror is about?

Yes. Lovecraft always knew that some cosmic horror would eventually beset us.

>John Carpenter's The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness.

Agreed. John Carpenter is one of the few directors that understand how to set the mood for Lovecraftian horror. You can argue that Prince of Darkness wasn't a very good movie but you can't argue that it wasn't unnerving as hell.

Not every "monster" was "unknowable" and he often described his horrors in great detail.
They were rather just so alien to the normal human being, the knowledge of them and their motives could drive them mad. That's why you have insane cultist worshiping them like gods, basing their knowledge off of alien texts and names barked at them with non human vocal cords by beings that might have themselves been driven mad by trying to figure out cosmic forces beyond their control or understanding.

>look at me im so superior dur dupwaaa
kill yourself

Outside of paintings, Bloodborne gets it the most right IMO.

>Dude like you couldn't believe how horrible it is
>Dude if you saw him you would go crazy
*big tentacle man walks out*
>Haha you must be in terror have you gone insane yet?

No.

Bloodborne is far from the most Lovecraftian video game out there, but it's cock full of references to Lovecraftian works, similar to how Family Guy is to 80s pop culture. I love it, but people who carry its "so Lovecraftian" tend not to have read much Lovecraft.
Pic related is a much more Lovecraftian game, right down to the Dream Cycle stuff Bloodborne fans praise that game for.

BB did a decent job of borrowing. That being said, even that approach is fairly weak. The cthulu mobs in the prison in DeS were fucking great.

>The cthulu mobs in the prison in DeS were fucking great.

Those were mind flayers, a classic enemy from Dungeons and Dragons you fuck

where do you thin dnd got that

You know that "totes retarded Sack Znyder is a visionary genius" Giant Squid that wasn't in the Watchmen movie that gave out psychic emanations? Idea based on Cthulhu, which had "sensitives" sleep depraved and even driven mad across the globe.

>tfw ywn get to play bb because you've been pc mustard race only since PSone

You probably will in 10 to 15 years trough emulation. If not, a second hand copy of PS4 ought to be cheap in a few years.

Good thing my friend has PS4 and I've played through Bloodborne some 4 times :-DDD

but really, it'd be better on PC. Fuck the console limits of 'stable' 30fps.

>unironically liking DnD

lol

The Wicker Man

>'stable'
I think you mean "up to 30fps", because that's what From promised.

The Resurrected

A movie version of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward that nobody seems to know about.