Internet Advertised Speeds

>Internet Advertised Speeds

So I'm finally giving up my basement dweller status and it's time to buy internet for my new place.

ATT advertises "up to" 50mbps for $40. Comcast advertises 25mbps for the same price. Double the speed for the same sheckles? Sounds like they just pulled these numbers out their ass.

Right now, in Mom's basement with ATT, I'm getting 12mbps down according to a few speed tests run on both my computers (laptops w/ wifi). The router is upstairs, so I imagine that is cutting my speed some. I can usually watch 1080p youtube videos with no buffering already, but my problem is my connection is unstable and momentarily cuts out all the time.

Honestly will I even get close to 25+ on wifi?

Eat shit and die you cuck

k I'll get right on that.

50Mbps that's FAST!
>back in 2010

I'm lucky to get 5mbps/Centurylink

Good for you but they don't run fiber to my new trap house.

That blows, I'm sorry.

i get 2.50 mbps on average with ATT
paying 60$ for it and the DSL connection goes out like 4 times a day
good luck

Google Fiber

look up tp link power line networking kit. replace wireless with powerline networking.

problem solved for

>"up to" 50mbps
Translation: 1mbps, if you're lucky.

Anybody have a 1TB plan? If so, how much is it costing you?

I work at a call center of AT&T we offer 50 mbps for $40 (i dont know the actual speed, i just sell it)

most ISPs will over-provision the speeds they supply you. for example if you pay for 75mbps you usually get 90 if youre hardwired. on wifi the only real way to reliably get good speeds is on 5ghz. if you are on 2.4 only, even if youre paying for 100 youll rarely get over 40.

look for guaranteed speeds i have a guaranteed 25mbps and i can stream download and game simultaneously with no slow downs you dont need too insane of a package if speeds are fixed

You will find that the speed is advertised as "up to 25mbps". just like the 50mbps because there's absolutely no way an ISP can guarantee a specific speed.

Source: Worked for an ISP.

Yes they can i have a guaranteed speed, just need fiber optic lines

most providers will offer you a lower rate if you call back and cancel your subscription.

You wont get a lot on wifi, use a cord.

Ouch. I've had both Comcast and ATT and had the random cutouts though.

Anyone else experience this?

You cannot guarantee speeds even on fibre.

Fuck off using that word improperly

Good on you for moving out OP. Honestly if all you're doing is watching YouTube just make sure it's unlimited. Some companies pump the numbers up but slow your speed down after x gb

>according to a few speed tests
Speed tests measure floor speeds not ceiling speeds.
Speed test sites show that you can hit a certain speed not that said speeds are your limits. Speedtest.net regularly gets about 80% of my total download and upload but when sending data and receiving data it's significantly faster with p2p and other sites.

Test it with a cable, make sure your signal is good. A shit wifi signal will piss on your bandwidth. You might want to wire up an AP to the basement.

Why are you using wifi? Use an ethernet cable. If you can't, then buy a router that doesn't suck dick. not that complicated.

bih yes than can lol, i worked for bell and have the product in my home i have a guaranteed minimum of 25mbps i lose a little bit cuz of router but on my laptop with wifi i've still got a constant 22 mbps

No, you can't guarantee speeds. You are likely to get the advertised "up to" speed but nobody can guarantee that specific speed. They will advertise as "up to" because if it drops 1kbps below that speed, they could be sued for false advertising.

Stop talking shit.