Articles say that a majority of Americans cannot drive a manual transmission. What the real deal?

Articles say that a majority of Americans cannot drive a manual transmission. What the real deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

abc13.com/news/carjacker-kills-father-because-car-isnt-an-automatic-/1796915/
youtu.be/qXTmAkJKikI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We found a more efficient way to do things.

Implying driving manual is a challenge

No one owns a manual transmission anymore except fags who never shut up about their manual transmission.

I'm not American, and while I did learn to drive on a manual transmission I see no reason to know how to drive manual in an automatic world. To the everyday average driver they will likely never encounter a manual car nor need a manual car. The benefits of manual, of which there many, are useless to the majority of drivers and commuters. I live in a country with horrendous traffic problems, so an automatic vehicle is all I will ever own.

I drive manual. Just Because I like the feel. There's really no reason to though, unless you're a professional driver

Yeah, it's like bragging about walking instead of driving.

Not to mention that there is barely anything "manual" about a manual transmission. Out of everything in that car that's automated, why is choosing the gear so important?

It's true, but who gives a fuck? Knowing how to drive manual is not something to be smug about, it's not a huge accomplishment and if anything it's impractical for those who live in cities with clusterfuck stop and go traffic.

I drive a manual and I prefer it personally, it's more fun to drive because you have more control. Automatic is more practical and probably safer because the vast majority of retards don't need an extra step or distraction while driving. Also it keeps people from asking to use my car, not that I would let them anyway.

I have always driven a manual transmission. These days its a theft deterrent.

oh yeah and niggers can't drive manual so I'll chalk that up as another reason I like it. Again, though, automatic is fine for the vast majority of people and it's silly to look down on people who drive automatics.

>implying

Kek, to be fair even if you can't drive manual you can still brute force it with enough will, you'll just wreck the transmission making your escape.

so you like to touch something big and hard all the time? I have some bad news for you

That's what I just said!

Took my driving licence today with manaul but have an automatic car, because if i get a licence for automatic i cant drive a manual but i get manual i can drive both, only reason. Manual is more feel but no need for that since ill only use the car as a means of transport

Because the computer in my bmw is way better at shifting than any human

After the invention of automatic transmission, manual transmission became a tedious useless task.. for every day driving automatic gets the job done.

Besides how could we text and drive with one hand on the shifter and one on the wheel.

I learned to drive in one of these bad boys, not to mention that you also need a grasp of the concept to drive a motorcycle.

manual has only point, if you have a jeep and live in alaska or smth, otherwise it's just useless.

>drive
>motorcycle

You can't really brute force your way through stalling. If you have no experience and nobody to guide you through it you're not going to make it very far..

I can but dont since I live in heavy traffic areas.

>nice trips

I can drive manual, and it definitely has advantages in some situations (adverse weather/road conditions, towing or hauling). But 99% of us have no reason to drive a stick, so we don't.

I don't know man. I remember sneaking out with my parents car as a kid and knowing nothing of manual operation at the time. I stalled for about 15 to 20 mins before I started figuring it out. Anyone with enough motivation and enough time without being noticed could steal a manual car.

Related news story: niggers car jack man, get mad that the car is a stick shift that they can't drive, kill the man. Why are black boys so fragile and violent?

>abc13.com/news/carjacker-kills-father-because-car-isnt-an-automatic-/1796915/

I love my 6 speed gti. Its fun. But.... NYC traffic..... So much clutching.... My knee throbs thinking about it

Where the fuck is this that has a different license for manual vs automatic transmission?

Most cars in the states are automatic so most people never need to learn.

I drive stick, i prefer it, but I'm not an elitist about it, it isn't a big deal and definitely is nothing to feel superior about.

nah thats not true
so easy to get into an accident or really fuck the car up if you dont know what youre doing.

These reasons are why there is automatic with manual overide..

Dumb stick fans just don't wanna stop playing with their sticks, some people get nervous about change I guess.

Every country that teaches driving properly, dumbfuck.

The BQE at rush hour is no place for a stick

Wat?

Fear

Fair point. The US basically doesn't teach you at all, just assuming your dumb-ass parents can drive because they lived long enough to squeeze you out.

Well just saying I accomplished it as a kid, so there's that. Not that I'd consider that anything other than circumstantial.

>Anyone with enough motivation and enough time without being noticed could steal a manual car
Does not apply to niggers

why the fuck would we need to drive manual idiot

Ive been there. Ive taken the LIE at rush hour from Manhattan to West Hampton. My leg was hating me.

I live in Trinidad and you have a marking on your license of what transmission you passed your test with. If it's manual you can drive either, if it's automatic you can only drive automatic.

any driving job

Simple. If you can operate a manual transmission, then you can drive pretty much anything.

Because this is actual driving, not just turning a wheel... Idiot

Better gas mileage, and automatics break more often, if automatics got better gas mileage and broke down less id drive one

I save the manual driving for my motorcycle

Because there is automatic now and some people dont give enough of a fuck about cars to learn manual.

If you drive manual and you like it, thats fantastic. Glad you have that extra bit of joy in your life.

But people who dont drive manual do plenty of stuff you dont care about that they think you should.

That's true about everything in america. That's why it's so great. No one is going to catch you if you fall so you either succeed or you die. It's all up to you.

It's funny. In Holland most (80+%) of the cars are manual cars. Pretty much everyone can drive stick. The first time i was in a manual car, i used my right foot for gas and left foot for breaks, i almost crashed the car. Felt so out of place to just... not use your left foot at all?

Automatic is better than stick tho, although i prefer stick just because of my experience driving stick, or rather my inexperience driving automatic.

I learned on my 4th car at 22. Drove 3 more vehicles with a manual over the course of 15 years .
I drive an automatic now because I have to drive in Manhattan often .

changing gears doesn't make you a special snowflake it means you make more effort to drive for no reason

>majority of Americans cannot drive a manual transmission

I haven't driven a stick since the 90's.

truth, I just turned 53 and I can't drive a manual.

This, i drive manual and don't want to change but if someone like automatic I don't get all triggered like a special snowflake, it's just preference man it's nothing to brag about or to fight

>Out of everything in that car that's automated, why is choosing the gear so important?

Gives you more control over the car. Gives you the freedom to chose your gears and to disconnect your engine from the drive train when you want. If you really love freedom. You drive stick. It's also less boring. Gives you something to do.

But you wouldn't know since you have never driven one.

Get on my level faggot

Amerifag that drove rally professionally for 5 years. Manual in heavy city stop and go traffic is complete cancer. If you have a high performance car and are using it on weekends and in non traffic filled areas, then a stick would probably be preferred. But in today's world unless you're working on a farm or driving a truck knowing how to drive a stick is obsolete and more or less useless.

>Hampton
Ugh.... I take that garbage to work every day.... On the plus side....I can skip leg day.

We buy automatic cars cause standard is for retards that watch the Fast and the Furious

see Manual shifting can also keep you more alert, cause if you are falling a sleep and grind gears (fyi you really shouldn't do that ever) your ass will definitely wake up

>We buy automatic cars cause standard is for retards that watch the Fast and the Furious

No, because you're to dumb to drive. That why you aren't allowed to drive faster than 70 miles
by your government on highways while free people have no speed limits on their highways.

>2017
>not driving a hybrid/electric vehicle
>polluting the air so you can whine about your manual tranny superiority

If a vegan drives a manual transmission car and does cross fit, which of the three things do you think they'll blather on incessantly about first?

great answer user bravo.

Not that guy, and his comment was cancer, but yours is pretty stupid as well. A persons capacity to drive isn't linked to knowing how to drive a manual transmission. Americans shit ability to drive is deeper rooted than a lack of training for manual.

lol

reasons to learn manual:

Better gas mileage for the same power. (for conventional engines)

Friends might let you drive their cool old cars, quad bikes, trucks, tractors, motorcycles...but not if you're going to rape the clutch.

Manual transmissions have less (~0) likelihood of failing catastrophically and leaving you stranded somewhere.

Can push start a vehicle that has a flat battery, broken starter, or other related electrical failures, again not leaving you stranded.

You can rent a car in europe and not cause a pileup because you can't shift properly in the mountains.

My gf learned to drive my gti. Gave me boners. Idk why.

>apply arbitrary rules to what you can and can't drive based on what you drive the day you get your license

Sounds like Europe. I lived in Asia as a kid because my family traveled a lot. This wasn't a thing there. Spent a lot of time in Africa same deal. It's not a thing in America. I doubt it's like that in America's hat. That leaves Sandastan and Yurop. Wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to sacrifice a toddler to drive in Russia.

/ youtu.be/qXTmAkJKikI

>too dumb to drive

Insinuating its hard to drive a standard

>free people have no speed limits

Maybe thats why Muslims keep driving through you European faggots

Articles also say the majority of US citizens can't drive a steam powered car, either. What gives?

this guy breathing all the white mans air

All three at the same time. This way you know they have no possible redeeming quality.

Sure that use to be the case, but that's simply not true anymore. Shit even trucks strictly stay with autos now.

Most people have never learned.... and it's not majorly relevant to life in any real way.

Honestly, automatic is by far the superior technology and there's no rational way you can argue against it.

In the early days of automatic, there was a noticeable mpg difference, but not anymore. Furthermore, if you aren't shifting efficiently your mpg can actually be worse with a manual.... particularly if you do all kinds of stupid shit that manual drivers like to do like revving the engine and burnouts.

If you drive automatic is far easier to adjust the radio, change tracks on pandora, eat, or play with the AC.

I prefer auto.... and before you eurofags say I'm just a bitch that can't drive auto I CAN. I can drive automatic well. I just prefer not to.

Driving a stick is a lot like shooting a gun. It's a life skill that's not very important in the grand scope of things but insecure manlets like to pretend it's the be-it-end-all of manliness to have that skill.

It's not important and automatic is superior. 90%+ of cars in the US are automatic, it's the default. There's no reason to learn unless you're a manlet who's overcompensating for a small penis so you need all the manliness points you can get.

make some money and stop buying 1999 used cars

Kek. Got me. I indeed can't drive a steam car.

>all these slow people ITT
We get it, you brake mid-corner.

>Maybe thats why Muslims keep driving through you European faggots

Damn you jelly of the free people of Europe that can travel where they want as fast as they want?

hi im 12 too got kik?

It's amazing the things europeans are grasping at to try to feel superior

Nobody's surprised, anyway; we already know they're well practiced at playing with black shafts all day

>be a faggot from old continent
>hate technology
>"I remember when comrade mother built house in woods with bare hands. The winter harsh is frozed tree bark, but comrade mother used hot saliva to chew way to tree trunk, then use knife fashion from tin can of smuggled sweets to cut tree down"
>scavenge endless piles of trash for any seemingly usable, nearly two-decade old computer part to use Internet
>mfw no internet in rural old continent
>Kicks mule out of my 1961 sköda
>"sorry comrade Ivan but must drive 2,600km to busy city of 300 peoples. Only big city has the inter nets"
>midway through journeying up and down hills and constantly shifting gears, some 3 days after leaving home, have epiphany:
>"inferior americans think this tough? Is just gear mechanical shift! Is not complica..."
>blows transmission
>"BLYAAAT!"

Yup. Totally hate my auto transmission.

Huh... It's almost like those 'free' people can't actually handle driving.

this really grinds my gears

>Huh... It's almost like those 'free' people can't actually handle driving.

Yeah that must be why Germany with no general speed limits on speedways has a lower death rate than the USA, you mongo.

I don't know about advantages. My car is an automatic with AWD. On snow, ice, and wet roads it's scary good. Hell, even my last car was FWD with traction control and it did a bang-up job in adverse conditions.
I think the advantages of a manual transmission are being overshadowed by the rise of "fly by wire" systems in modern cars.

and this gives you power over me?

Impressive.

To go that fast while sucking your wife's Muslim boyfriend off takes real skill.

i live in France and it's like that. But the vast majority of our car are manual.

For example chance are that if you get a car from your job, it will be a manual one.

So when it comes to getting your licence, you should get a manual licence even if it's more expensive.

Its literrally one of the most expensive things to get a license in germany (roughly 1600 eurodollarz) and you have to do like 30-40 hours of driving with the instructor

Lol dont care how fast you faggots can go on highways. Literally never crossed my mind until now.

Just glad Muslims are running Europeans over lmao

I started with automatic and then got a manual because it's cheaper. I definitely like it because it is more fun to drive, more control, and quicker pickup since you can slam the gas in a low gear. It's nothing to brag about, but I do think I am going to stick with manual unless I got another SUV

Saying that driving auto is better than driving manual is admitting that you have a vagina.

>shoulda got an automatic

Mine is a 2016..

>Impressive.
>To go that fast while sucking your wife's Muslim boyfriend off takes real skill.

HOLY SHIT dude, you're MAD!

Spoken like someone who doesn't even drive.

manual vs automatic.. whats the difference when youre going 80mph on the expressway? you arent shifting gears at that point anyways.

the only advantage to manual cars are they are generally less expensive (than the exact same car in auto)

>Literally never crossed my mind until now.

Yeah, and from now on the jealousy will stay there forever.

>Just glad Muslims are running Europeans over lmao

You mean like the 10 million wetbacks in your country? Fun fact: In no European country do you become a citizen by simply being born their. Illegals and their offspring can be sent back. Unlike in the US where anker babies will make your white trash ass speak spanish in a few years. Olé