'It's an interesting film...

'It's an interesting film, the film is getting eviscerated by so many of the critics and it's fascinating because in a lot of ways this is kind of an art movie and I know just saying that is going to provoke incredible howls of outrage out there but it's really this anarchic, punk-rock art movie'
- David Ayer

Is he right /TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

empireonline.com/movies/suicide-squad/empire-podcast-suicide-squad-spoiler-special-david-ayer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can listen to the whole sorry interview here:

empireonline.com/movies/suicide-squad/empire-podcast-suicide-squad-spoiler-special-david-ayer/

>this is kind of an art movie

In the scope of fucking movies this is the LEAST bit associated with "art" out of all the movies that fucking came out. It's a good movie but come one. There are a lot of other movies that are more "artistic" than this.

It might be creative but "artistic", pfffffft

It is "Art" in the sense that anything cvretaed is Art, an Artefact of culture.

But honestly, "anarchich punk rock" just sounds like marketing spiel for "clusterfuck".

He sounds REALLY down. They even comment on it before the interview starts.

fuck off

What you mean down

It sounds like DC is just making shit up as they're going along.

He sounds tired, sad and defeated.

nah im agreeing with him, despite shit editing there are moments with great fucking visuals which is likely what he refers to.

Based, just like LOST

I like the way art means giving the 'art' to the company who cut your trailer and let them ruin your movie.

>capeshit
>art movie
Only if it's the art of fucking up.

This isn't even "anarchic punk rock"

If it was nobody would have watched the shit.

This has been stylized and contorted digestible by the mass of society, which means it's pretty much not art.

Anarchic punk rock is like "the doom generation".

This shit reminds me of when Nirvana came out with "smells like teen spirit" and everyone who liked it thought they were deep into alternative music when little to them they were listening to typical rock radio shit created by an alternative band and morphed into something it really wasn't for the sake of making a buck. It worked and cool.

I would say real "art" challenges the status quo and attempts originality.

This movie isn't revolutionary.

If you were hoping to be the next BvS kino meme, work harder.

I actually really liked it. So far it's the only DC movie in the universe that I actually liked. I think that if it didn't triggered most "feminists" it's would be much more split among critics, like MoS was.

>art movie
>Is he right /TV?

No, but I still loved this big dumb movie.

He's AMAZED it's SO conterversial and dark and that they got away with it.
This movie is basically 'Edgelord- The Movie'.

you started bad, you got good and ended bad again

4/10

I think David Ayer is a solid director but this movie is not an "art" movie. It's like a letting that one poor gangster kid you know from that low income housing area, the one who secretly reads comic books, make a movie

>Batman knocks out all of Joker's teeth as revenge for killing Robin
>Joker tattooed DAMAGE on his head in Arkham to show that Batman ruined his beauty
>Harley is an accomplice to Robin's murder but he was missing his teeth before he met Harley
>Captain Boomerang is a brony :^)

David Ayer is a GENIUS

>That gif

Maybe if they all stopped fucking about and tried to make a movie they'd make something decent for once.

it's literately a Panic! in the Disco music video

Sorry David, it may have been advertised as a punk art aesthetic but the actual movie is dark, cludgey, badly structured, nonsensical, appallingly edited dog shit

>This isn't anarchic punk rock
Of course not.
Calling it anarchic punk rock is literally just a response to it being a fucking mess.

Sorry I posted the wrong webm and posted the deleted scenes (which I wish all of them weren't cut but I understand the joker with grenade one being because it would have ruined the ending surprise if was left in) but Ayer is correct with this being an art film.

As I stated, there is a lot of poetry scenes such as why Joker has baby clothes in his room, but then later we see a dream vision when Harley and Joker have a baby.

The scenes are not "just random" as some like to say but do have deeper meanings that connect.

When Joker FIRST meets Harley he's already got the grill.
Ayer is either a bullshit artist or a HACK. Probably both.

Stop defending this piece of shit and seeing things in it that aren't really there.

relax we don't know the full story yet.

I urge everyone (that's if you are comic fans or enjoy entertaining music as this one was) to buy tickets to see it because I DO NOT want to see DC films be cancelled.

Don't you want to watch the Batman movie? DC needs a lot of support considering the critics are not giving these films what they deserve. Yes BvS wasn't that good but Suicide Squad is seriously so much better and brought the fun back into DC films.

No really, I get you're going for the bait of pretending its art like the BvS faggots, but your idea is half baked at the minute. Try harder and come back after you've at least made a pasta or two.

He isnt. Its protobait.

Hello DC shill.

Cancel them. Start again. They fucked up.

>I do not want to see DC movies cancelled
I'd love to see it cancelled, its a fucking stillbirth.

>and seeing things in it that aren't really there.
Are you serious.

Here is the webm of the scene.

It is clearly poetry and symbolic of Harley's later vision.

If you have written a story before or edited a movie before, you know that you must connect your scenes in some way or form. Seinfeld is the best example of poetry: every time a Seinfeld episode ends, it connects to an earlier line of dialogue or something.

This film has some of that poetry going on such as when Flag tells Harley to "shut up" when she interrupts him during his talk to the Squad and then when she saves Flag during that city battle, he says thank you and she replies with "shut up" back to him.

When Harley smashes the window store and says "we're bad guys" was that scene just made for a quick quip? No. Deadshot notices clothing in the window and it is almost identical to the clothes that his daughter was wearing earlier on - so once again we get a poetry connecting scene.

This film never is just random scenes pasted together but they actually have meaning. You should pay more attention when watching this

You repeat poetry too much. Before making this into pasta, try a thesaurus.

>Cancel them. Start again.
You really want Ben Affleck to be replaced?

I do not want him, nor Margot nor Jared nor Will Smith etc to be replaced. I love this Suicide Squad team and can't wait to see Wan's Aquaman movie with the best casting choice for Aquaman.

okay I will use a different word in the future (like kino which has kind of lost its meaning because of all the meme threads with that word).

You aren't trying hard enough.

You seriously cannot see how clearly I have wrote out the connecting scenes...

TrTry looking up the actual term for it. I think its assonance, but I may be getting confused.

>not replacing Smith

He's fucking awful

can carl drogo even act?

No, he means your bait isn't anger inducing and reads like bait rather than an honest opinion.

didnt notice the baby clothes, good catch user

>not liking Will Smith
seriously he has some of the best charisma on screen

If losing Affleck means gaining a working DCEU, then Affleck be damned. Leto is shit, Margot is shot, Will Smith is will smith and Aquaman looks tryhard.

I like Will Smith to a degree, but he's films are nearly always dissapointments. Watchable, but never kino

I would just like to ask if anybody else noticed that Deadshot was only stopped because his daughter gets in the way and he gives up, something just tells me Will Smith would never read a script And be cool with Batfleck actually beating him in combat and taking him to jail.

Son, if you think this is 'poetry' then wait until you see 'Marley and Me'. That shit will blow your mind.

MiB is most definitely kino.

Will Smith was fine years ago, but he can only play Will Smith. And his ego warping the narrative of SS was obvious.

>t-t-t-the movie doesn't suck, silly critics, it's a-a-a-art! you're t-t-t-t-too stupid to appreciate it..!

Jesus christ, Ayer. Shut your goddamn mouth.

MiB and Fresh Prince were probably his peaks. I guess Independence Day too, although that didn't age that well. Still, we're talking 20 years ago now. Look at his resume:

I Robot, I am Legend, Seven Pounds, Jaden Smith, Wild Wild West, Hitch. Every single one didn't live up to what it could have been

>seriously he has some of the best charisma on screen

talking like a street hood ordering a bucket of chicken isn't "charismatic"

Suicide Squad is "anarchic punk rock" in exactly the same way that Green Day's "American Idiot" is "anarchic punk rock" : a commodified, mall-america version of it specifically designed to appeal to suburban teenagers. It's like those idiots at Ubisoft using punk / street-art imagery in Watch Dogs 2. It would be insulting, if it weren't so laughable. Suicide Suad is basically the Hot Topic of movies.
And no, having nonsensical editing doesn't magically make your movie an "art" film.

Will Smith has a daughter who he loves.

They are the worst of the worst right? Already shit

You haven't seen Love Exposure you pleb, and I know this thread is shit b8 but man, you could have done better

Nobody knows what "punk" means

It started off as an expression in writing and means "for or of the people"

That's what the original aesthetic of punk was when it was introduced in Rock. But people just care about the look of what punk rock was and not the actual philosophy

Ya, of the Uncle Tom variety

Clearly shit b8 dude
Which means you are shit for taking it

Well there is more art, soul and vision in this single film than the entire MCU, with its generic assembly line manufactured corporate products.

I don't think they wouldn't start again. WB doesn't give a shit about comics. They are only doing this because of the trend of Superheroes movies. If this fails they are probably just going to go back to only Batman and maybe Superman shit. Looks even with the whole "DCEU" shit, WB is still scared to put GL in because of how badly the Green Lantern movie failed. Pretty much this is the only way we are going to see other characters not related to Batman.

They don't need to start again, they just need to stop fucking with the movies from the directors and slowly weed out Snyder since people don't like him. Boom done. If People don't like Batman killing or Superman lack of saving people, just don't do it anymore. Which actually is what it sounds like they are doing now. Ben said that after BvS, They're going to stop with these different interpretations of the DC characters and try to bring them closer to what the audience knows them as.

>WB doesnt care about the comics
>They just made the most source material accurate comic film ever

You keep saying that, and yet you never explain further than "Deadshot gets the focus and Slipknot dies like and idiot"

What about Harley and Joker that were never in Ostrander's, or the fact that only Harley and Deadshot are actually relevant, or the fact that they fought a cliche supernatural laser in the sky instead of something more political where they could actually take the blame if they fucked up...

I mean, one thing is "faithful enough to satisfy me as a fan" and another is "BEST ADAPTATION EVER IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU DON'T READ COMICS"

>But Ostrander said...
I don't give a fuck, creators mindlessly endorse reboots and adaptations all the time, see recently Cameron and his seal of approval for the trainwreck called Genesys

Yeah, I agree. There are some really beautiful shots in this film, virtually everything involving the Joker.

Even though they're not talking about a director's cut for this one, I'd still like to see one, because erratic editing really is a valid criticism of the theatrical release, although I still really enjoyed it.

Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about. Saw SS today and while it wasn't great, it was more enjoyable than Age of Ultron and Thor 2. 6/10.

>Mindlessly
Its more like they are forced to by law.
See Cameron and Genysis.

>You keep saying that,
Literally the first time i said it retard but those are both valid points.

>What about Harley and Joker that were never in Ostrander's
so? Differing characters doesnt mean its not comic accurate and Harley has been in Task Force X since 52, joker has also appeared a few times but not as a member, so jsut like the film.

But really it is very similar to the ostrander run int terms of themes and writing, fuck i can even see which story arks Ayer was inspired by.

>or the fact that they fought a cliche supernatural laser in the sky instead of something more political where they could actually take the blame if they fucked up...
That would of been good, but the SS has frequently tackled paranormal shit.

>I mean, one thing is "faithful enough to satisfy me as a fan" and another is "BEST ADAPTATION EVER IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU DON'T READ COMICS"
I never said that, you are really now just spergeing out.

>But Ostrander said...
What did he say i would be interested in knowing?

Anyways it was in perfect tone to the Ostrander run, characters were portrayed perfectly like Flagg and Harley for the most part, bar maybe Slipknot and some characters getting slightly altered like Deadshot or Boomer. The visuals were great and the whole film was full of subtle and not so subtle nods to the comics like ARGUS, Deadshots bullet rain, Joker/Harley's dance etc.

Have you actually read the Ostrander run out of intrest

Why doesn't he just admit that he fucked up and didn't think anything through?

I agree with this but I ALSO agree with

Why are nerds so fucking obsessed with defending this piece of shit?

>this anarchic, punk-rock art movie
Christ what a fucking retard

You seem deeply autistic.

Not him, bur I did. I was a huge fan of Ostrander's run. Speculation time here.

Do you think they're going to expand on the Enchantress's backstory? Personally, I think they're going to alter it and make her and her brothers relics of the prehistoric war, possibly leftover sentient "weapons" from Darkseid's forces.

Seen the film twice already, I think its great and not deserving of all this shit.
Best villains of the last decade of comic book films.
Joker was surprisingly great, needs those extra scenes put in the blu-ray.

I went back for a second look last night. Admittedly, it does drop the ball a bit in the third act, but in that regard, it's no different than the overwhelming majority of cape films.

Leto's Joker really is the closest live-action we've gotten to the comics, and I want to see more.

He's so full of shit, it's stunning.

Leto's Joker is fucking shit, are you fucking retarded?

no. He is legit good.

>Armond White said Man of Steel was one of his favorite films of 2013
>pedestrians still claim it can't be good because "MUH COMIC BOOK MOVIE"

Stay mad plebesaurus rex

explain how he is shit without mentioning the tattoos or his voice

My only real complaint about this movie was the ABYSMAL soundtrack in the first half. I mean, I get what they were going for but did it have to be so fucking LOUD as to drown out all the dialogue in the scene? Plus it also cuts in and out at random making the editing seem much worse than it is.

Wait, scratch that. The editing of the FILM was fine for the most part. It's the sound engineer that should be fired.

>art challenges the status quo

This is what DC has been doing, just look at how triggered the reviewers are when they don't get a fun little Marvel movie.

He's just doing a bad impression of Ledger and Nicholson. He can barely fucking act for the grill. He can't even do a convincing laugh. Seriously, if this is what you call a good Joker you are brain damaged.

Reviewers literally get triggered by an orange sitting on a table.

Automatic two thumbs down for anything that exists.

It's about what triggers the people.

How? Because i know what im talking about and you cany muster an actual rebutal or because in using facts to defend something you dislike? Fucking pathetic.

That would be cool to see, Incubus certainly had a new gods feel to him in terms of design, there was a recent rumour Enchantress would show up in the WW movie alongside Darksied buts its probably bullshit.

>Voice
So we can't say an actor is shit based on how he performs. Great job DKEK.

Just saw it, had my ticket bought for me.
I like how Killer Croc went into the flooded tunnel which was there solely so that there was reason for Killer Croc to be there. It gave him more than Australia and Japan.

i never said performance, i was referring to how most of the Marvelcucks here get ass blasted about him sounding remotely like Ledger but he did a grunt in his voice one time, just like how some retards think Affleck was channeling Bale in BvS

you dingus

I'm with . He's easily the best we've seen, and I'll explain why I think so:

Nicholson: great, charismatic performance, but not much more than Nicholson being Nicholson in grease paint. Best scene when he wipes away his flesh tone makeup.

Ledger: Phenomenal performance perfectly in keeping with the Nolanverse's themes, but again, not really the Joker. Ledger's Joker is too sane and focused to really capture the spirit of the comics. His "insanity" is a tactic, it's a mask he wears. Best scene: the interrogation, a brilliant homage to Sean Connery's old film "The Offence."

Leto: A man who embraces insanity and chaos while "playing" at crime. All the trappings of the crime boss/mafia serving as an inversion of Ledger's portrayal with the tattoos and other organized crime tropes being only skin deep, masking the true madness beneath. Best scene: his meeting with the prison guard.

He was written as an actual mobster, which was better, that doesn't make him a better actor, it just means the writing was better.

>rumour Enchantress would show up in the WW movie alongside Darksied

That would be amazing. Also, pic related and the Enchantress had what was possibly the single most awesome exchange in the whole movie in terms of its implications.

My whole life.

That's true, but he did some really good things with what he was given.

as i say man take it with a pinch of salt

>listening to armond white

Severe overacting that makes Jesse Eisenberg's Luthor look understated and subtle.

After seeing this today I'm genuinely displeased with the reviewers for it.

It's not great, but so many of the complaints about it are actually literally non-existent. I read one saying that the violence was unartistic but this movie was incredibly nonviolent, the worst that happened was slipknot getting his knot blown off and that's about it for graphicly shown violence. Also I read a lot about Harley and the Joker's abusive relationship going in (which is in and of itself a no shit thing to say but w/e) and it was practically non-existent, in fact I applaud this film for realistically portraying women in a combat situation.

This isn't the same as BvS which was unrepentant garbage in the cinema so I'm glad that it's on track to make bucket loads of money and I hope it continues to do that, critics can go fuck themselves on this one.

/blog