Pic related becomes best drama show currently on television

>pic related becomes best drama show currently on television

what went so wrong for the industry, or so right for this tv show?

>i think depression & nihilism is a substitute for character

>being so plebeian you unironically think that bojack is that one dimensional

there's a site to which you need to go

>>>/reddit/

>haha le adult themes

>i think depression & nihilism is a substitute for character and also I like animal puns

Great drama, shit comedy

I watched it until the chick that's helping him write a book broke out into a tiresome lecture about feminism and patriarchy unironically. I noped the fuck out after that.

Bojack Horseman is a good show, but it has no reason to be an animation other than budget.

Which season was that? I honestly don't remember that.

But it is realistic. Maybe you have never dealt with it, but you get to a point where depression and nihilism seem to destroy your personality until there's nothing left.

they literally pay the fuck of her for that one she's tumbler-tier, and they all fkn call her shit out

and, y'know, the animal jokes.

>dude I'm responsible for literally all of problems and shortcomings but I'd rather sit and wallow in self pity than exert enough effort to do anything about it

Not surprised that it's been embraced so strongly by neckbeards who don't seem to realize that Bojack can be Bojack because he's wealthy and attractive and successful while begin a bitter narcissist.

So she doesn't get a soapbox every other episode? If so, I may take it up again.

most people dont. Sure, there are moments of helplessness or lack of direction, mid-life crises, but (speaking from my experience) generally people have no idea whats it like.
Whereas the nihilistic/depressed minority see the world as it is, unable to center ones life around an idea or purpose that would make them consistently happy, or at least make their time worth-while, pursuing some goal.

Was within the first two or three episodes.

Near the end of Season 3.

I thought this too, but later on it seemed like they were taking the piss too so at least they're somewhat self-aware of that shit.

In the world of Bojack, which is meant to reflect Hollywood's progressive thinking, it makes sense it would be in the show.

> wow im so le depressed but im le rich, this pretty much le proves that le depression can affect le anyone: the show

are you saying this can't be true?

he is

Didn't you watch le show?? it was le parents fault!

I really love this show and the fact that the only criticism I ever see of it usually involves the words "neckbeard" or "meme" or "millenial" then I know the people that hate it don't really have an argument against it.

why are you trying so hard to fit in?

No one is saying that. He's saying it's a premise that has been done a million times before, most notably by a film widely regarded to be the greatest ever made.

he's a dumb idiot who refuses to take charge of his own life

I'm on the fence about this show.

positives
>funny sometimes
>Bojack is very relatable for anyone who has experienced severe depression and nihilism
>good visual style

negatives
>unfunny and tryhard sometimes
>Todd is annoying
>bullshit feminism and SJWism propaganda

It has a lot of good but there's so much shit too.

>nihilism

You guys aren't nihilists. You're shitty people, just like Bojack and you're blaming 'muh depression' and 'muh nihilism'. That's the point of the whole show.

>inb4 you say I don't get the show. I fuckin' love it.

You're making us and our philosophy look bad.

"nihilists" are freaking retarted

if they were truly nihilistic they would stop eating and drinking fluids then die within a matter of days.

in reality they just think they're being really deep n sheit

m'lady
(fuck off)

Also, more on-topic:

BH is breddy gud. It definitely misses the mark and sometimes gets a little SJW victim-narrative-y like the abortion episode (heartbeat legislation has never actually been passed). Clearly they're targeting the millenial liberal crowd that romanticizes their own imagined persecution/oppresion. (there are oppressed peoples, but they're not the people who can afford to watch bojack/ have the requisite internet access).

Lots of the jokes are funny though and the drama is pretty engaging (though the whole sarajean thing was obvious from s3e2), the elliot smith quip was tops.

>if they were truly nihilistic they would stop eating and drinking fluids then die within a matter of days.

No man, we run companies. I can get a bunch of people to pick strawberries for 30 cents an hour then use the profits to pay for a yacht. Life. is. good.

>>being so plebeian you unironically think that making a character purposefully unlikeable is a good idea

go back to watching game of thrones, kid.

Best episode? Liked the Fish out of Water, seemed like the only time when he didnĀ“t want to kill himself.

Honestly, I liked the drug binge episode. Maybe just because I've had binges and friends that OD and it has a fairly realistic depiction. Usually ODing is shown as "yeah man they took too much this one time out of nowhere", when reality an OD is more often at the tail end of exhausting your body. You do a lot of drugs and you're like "man fuck I can do SOOO much more drugs than they say I can. This shit's not even that dangerous".

Like, the first time your hands turn blue and you feel like your heart is gonna stop you actually think you're gonna die. Then after you do that three times and you don't die, you wind up thinking you're invincible and can literally live without food or water, just amphetamine/coke.

The ending where she dies was lame though. mostly because it was supposed to be a twist and it was practically plastered on a billboard.

I don't like this show based on the three episodes I saw when some kids were watching it in a house I was over. We were smoking weed and it was on the TV and it was pretty unbearable.

From what I gathered, the show is nothing more than horrible animation glorifying depression and making jokes out of it - which can get really fucking bland and uninteresting when you actually have depression.
>DUDE THIS SHOW BREAKS SO MANY BOUNDARIES
>DUUUDE LOL I CANT BELIEVE THEY JUST DID THAT
>ABORTION!! LOL!!
>suddenly the show gets depressing out of fucking nowhere and people consider this good pacing/writing
>LOOK BOJACK IS GONNA DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE BRO
>he goes off on some exaggerated tangent that's supposed to resonate with viewers

Damn bro.. this shows fucked up really makes you think....

Fuck this stupid show. The animation is fucking awful too

That episode depicted binge drinking and binge drug abuse better than any other show I've seen. That's how you throw an entire week away drinking- you just keep doing it to maintain that buzz and then all of the sudden you've gone through 5 bottles of Jack Daniels and it's Wednesday

So many other shows depict binge drinking like it's some sorority girl taking 20 shots on a Friday night and passing out.

That was a good episode. Sometimes just for a little while you get focused on something that gives you a purpose and makes you happy for a while, but eventually your depression comes back and you don't even realize how happy you were until it's over.

>DROP SOME KNOWLEDGE
>he goes off on some exaggerated tangent that's supposed to resonate with viewers

No man, the point is that Bojack is a bad person. People who identify with Bojack are bad people. When he "drops knowledge", it's to illustrate how wrong his worldview is. The writers are trying to help the people who identify with Bojack be more self aware of the fact that they're responsible for their problems and NEED TO BE BETTER. There's no blaming it on anyone, you just have to be better.

>those suicide jokes at the beginning during Bojack's party

Does Bojack hang himself? Find out in season 4!

>it's our fault that we are depressed

>what we do is wrong and your morality is objectively correct and we should all conform to your arbitrary rules

moralfags go back to r/movies. This is a place for outsiders.

>You guys aren't nihilists. You're shitty people
Nihhilism is a shitty thing that makes shitty people.

So youd rather have her be a mary sue character with no flaws that everyone likes, instead of her being the one person that is worse than Bojack in most ways?

>The animation is fucking awful too
The animation and art design is the only part of the show that is consistently good.

>humor is hit or miss
>some characters are well written, some are poorly written
>many episodes have SJW propaganda

This is a place for outsiders.

>super seekrit club

yes, your depression is your fault. It's only recognized as a disease so you can legally be sold drugs/services for it. How do I know? I was literally fucking diagnosed, and nothing worked for me until I quit therapy and anti-depressants, started eating healthier, got a job and actively worked to be someone that others like to be around. It took four years, but now I have some friends and I feel like waking up in the morning.

Morality doesn't exist, but your brain gives you the happy chemicals when other people like you. Social and gender norms are there for a reason. Deep down you know it doesn't matter, but be a good person and your brain will give you the happy drugs.

>inb4 seratonin disorder
Seriously, join a gym and count calories for two years until you can pass the navy seal PST, actively work on making other people smile/happy (even if they're dumb) then tell me you're depressed and life isn't worth living.

>worse than Bojack in most ways

not the other guy, but I dunno about that one. Do they establish this, or is this your interpretation?

I can't wait for next season. It's so obvious that they're gonna rip SJW gawker-tier reporting a new asshole. I've got some feminist friends that like the show and they're all excited like "yeah she finally has a venue to really tell people what matters". I can't believe they don't see where it's going. It's like they're the mirror to self-loathing autists who idolize Bojack.

>all these baseless assumptions

No I don't take anti depressants.

I am in very good shape. I exercise a lot and I have a healthy diet.

Being nice to people is boring.

Realistically the only people who hate this show are people who force this nihilism meme to hide the fact that they just don't get the show. If you don't get it then its NOT for you, simple.

What is the deal with Todd

realistically the only people who like this show are people with absolute shit taste

>I have a healthy diet
What's your TDEE? Macro ratio?

>If you don't get it then its NOT for you, simple.

You are enlightened.

He's a numale faggot and the worst part of the show (along with that SJW slut)

would you mind sharing more about the 4 years process of "working to be someone other like to be around, please?

anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.
you have to be a fool to believe its impossible for a person to have such a brain chemistry that gives them the condition of depression.

he's asexual

too bad they show that she's okay with it. Girls aren't okay with it. If your dick doesn't work, or you don't like to use it, they drop ya.

the only thing wrong with the industry is your silly assertion that Bojack Horseman is the best anything. maybe best cartoon on Netflix, but that's about it. as for better dramas:

Rectify
The Night Of
The Girlfriend Experience
The Knick
The Americans
Transparent
The Affair
Better Call Saul

Bane?

better call saul does not belong on that list next to actual good shows like the knick and the americans

I think Diane will be portrayed as a shitty person even more next season. I really hope that she sells out Mr Peanutbutter for some shitty story about how the ride service is degrading the driversor some bullshit, where in the end it turns out that the drivers are perfectly fine with it (so basically the whole "should prostitution be legal" debate).
But I think even now she is worse than Bojack. She may not be doing things that are worse than what he does, but she usually is fully aware of what she is doing and wants to do it, while most occasions where Bojack does something shitty its because he means well and then something happens that either throws him off course, distracts him or just makes everything go to shit, where he cant even do anything about it, like one of the last episodes where he ruins Kelsey Jannings dream, but really it wasnt his fault at all. Still he has to feel even shittier because of someone elses mistake.

Meanwhile Diane is 100% aware of what she is doing, for example when she tried to out Hippopopulos as a sex offender, almost ruining the careers of Mr PB, Bojack and Wanda. And she didnt even stop when they told her what damage she is doing. She only stopped because she had absolutely no evidence and the public against her.

It's a balancing act the whole time, but starts with "I can be better if I put in effort."

Step 1. Take care of yourself. Work on getting healthy, people will subconsciously respect you more. Make sure the way you present yourself is good.

Step 2. Remember people's names. Write them down after you meet people.

Step 3. Listen to people. Remember what they tell you about themselves. Think about it and really try to grasp why it's important to them. Don't be reductionist.

Don't talk about yourself unless they inquire. Accept that you're honestly not that interesting and you have waaay more to gain from observing and interacting with other people.

Be unconditionally polite and kind with everyone you meet. At first you'll probably overdo it, but with practice it comes naturally.

I can't stress it enough, just really try to focus on other people being just as human as you. After your basic needs are met, forget yourself 60% of the time and focus on putting yourself in their skin and what their experience is like. Remember things about people. Engage with people lower on the social totem-pole than you as if they're someone you've known and respected for a long time.

It takes a lot of experimentation and there are people you'll piss off. Learning to admit when you're wrong, apologize and correcting behavior permanently goes a long way. Sometimes you'll lose people over something you did wrong. When that happens, accept it, learn from it and grow.

Dramedy is terrible

Your parents never loved you and you know it. You were a financial burden and generally a disappointment.

for that to work, idve to meet people in the first place, which has been sort of a struggle for me since.. well.. ever.
huge introvert
i pretty much already do the things youve mentioned but the part about "happy chemicals from people liking you" doesnt click for me (as often or much as Id need, I suppose).

i genuinely enjoy Better Call Saul more than The Americans. the dialog is top notch. while somewhat more of a decompressed narrative than i prefer, i still hold that its strengths far outweigh its weaknesses. i like The Americans a lot but it's getting rather stale. it should have run 3-4 seasons, tops. at this point, the show is repeating itself, and while still compelling, the cat and mouse game has run its course. however, i think both shows are leagues beyond Bojack.

i didn't like season 3

>huge introvert
So was I. View it as a weakness. Sign up for toastmasters and beat it into sumbission.

Interactions are a game that you can learn to be successful at. Winning condition is when both people feel an interaction was 'worth it'.

Get some normie hobbies like guitar (not shred-metal, something relatable), make sure you *actually* dress well.

The happy chemicals won't click for a looong time. You won't like people. Most people suck. Meet lots and pay attention to who they are and try to relate anyway. Focus on variety (at least for the first couple years). Eventually you will meet some people you like a little more than others. Drink (some, but not a lot) alcohol with them if they're into that.

Just try. You'll get it eventually. It might take ten years, but it's more-or-less worth it. I'm still aware of all the awful things about our world and existence that made me depressed in the first place, but a combination of distractions and being part of the solution helps a lot.

Wait, so you're saying the show tries to teach that we shouldn't do everything possible to stop sex offenders?

what diane is doint is ineffective at stopping sex offenders. She could lobby legislation, run for office, etc, but instead she tweets and blogs.

If it doesn't end with BoJack killing himself at the same spot as Secretariat, the whole series was a fucking waste.

thanks a bunch for the advice, man,
sincerely.
especially cause its Sup Forums and not /adv/
anything else youd like to add?
Ill just hope that with a better environment around me, purpose or goals will somehow surface or appear clear-er.. on their own.

>tfw I have thought about doing all this stuff but it feels like a betrayal to my true

It might sound weirdly masochistic but in a way I really like being a miserable loner. It's who I am. I don't need other people.

*true self

Does that make me a bad person