Stoned af right now and I was wondering

Stoned af right now and I was wondering

How the fuck can radiation kill if it's invisible? Seriously thats fucked

In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you can drink vodka to get rid of radiation.

How can blacks kill at night?

This is why they control certain materials.

Radiation is so immensely small that it is invisible to the human eye.

In a sense, we can create an artificial eye designed specifically to "see" radiation.

These are geiger counters.

Now, there are three main types of radiation.

Alpha radiation is where an unstable atom decays and releases an alpha particle, which is simple a helium atom.

Beta radiation happens when an atom releases a single electron.

Gamma radiation occurs when no particles are discharged, but simply a very high frequency wave of pure energy.

A common byproduct of all three of these types is, usually, a neutron.

The radiation we usually think of is gamma radiation.

The high amounts of energy alter our DNA, causing it to mutate.

No, we don't turn green or get really big when exposed to gamma radiation.

We just get cancer.

The other types of radiation can do this too, just replace the terms.

The neutron can also mutate our DNA.

To imagine why mutating DNA is bad, simply imagine your dna as a sentence.

"with good legs they will move"

Now, the radiation (or neutron) will alter, destroy, or add a letter.

Our DNA is set into a sequence of four chemicals, one set coming after another, acting like binary.

When we have a letter knocked out, our DNA forces it into that mold.

In this case, each word has 4 letters. Take one letter out, and the sentence becomes gibberish.

"wthg oodl egst heyw illm ove"

The same applies to adding a letter

"wilt hgoo dleg sthe ymov e"

Well a proton moving fast enough can get ya

Although not entirely accurate, I guess I can explain it like this. Penetrative radiation like gamma rays is a member of the electromagnetic spectrum. You know how microwave heats water and food even if it is invisible and how thermal radiation causes you to feel heat when under the sun? Well Gamma rays are also like that but with far more energy and they can penetrate the body and assault it on a molecular level. It can break down DNA and induce errors in the genetic code...far more than what the body can correct...so we end up with cancer.

It passes through most materials, including your eyes, without affecting them at all. It's a very tight, high-energy wave/particle quantum thingy that essentially fits between the gaps in atoms. But when it does impact with a molecule, it has enough energy to knock something loose. If it hits your DNA, this can be very bad. Higher frequency means higher energy and smaller, in a sense.

Visible light and most light near it in the spectrum just bounces off most things pretty harmlessly. UV radiation has the energy to give you skin cancer, but lacks the penetrative ability to fuck up anything other than your skin. Infra-red light is about the size of an atom and reliably makes them shake when it hits them, so it is often directly equated to heat. But rarely has the energy to do much other than cause vibrations, so it's not dangerous unless it's intense enough to set you on fucking fire.

As you go longer than infra-red, you get waves that often pass through materials again, but they don't have the energy individually to fuck anything up. Radio wavelengths are measured in meters or some shit.

Now, you may ask, why is replacing a letter so bad?

"wbth good legs they move"

Still readable, right?

You are correct, but our cells do not care if the majority of it is readable.

"wbth" is not a proper sequence, to our DNA, and we have a specific reaction which attempts to destroy this cell.

This is cancer.

But for some fucking reason, our bodies fuck up, and practically make the cancer cells immortal.

See, cancer cells are cells that are called "biologically immortal".

No matter how many times they split, they do not change their DNA.

On the end of our chromosomes, we have what are called "telomeres".

These telomeres act as the plastic ends on shoe laces, acting to keep the DNA from fraying, because each time our cells split, a very small section of DNA is cut off from the ends.

When the telomeres are used up, we start becoming old. Around 55 is the usual age for this.

So basically, they key to eternal youth is getting cancer.

This leads me to your original question, OP.

"How can radiation kill us?"

Well, it can.

But it can also alter your dna in a way that can, possibly, make you a biological immortal.

You would, ofcourse, still need excercise, food, water, and all that crap.

But you would never grow old.

In conclusion; I highly suggest you break into your local nuclear power plant, eat some uranium, and hope for the best.

You can say the same about heat...

This is partially right high end gamma rays can kill u in mins to days the cells are killed rather than mutate some of the soilders who were at Chernobyl died in like a week to 2

i'm a physicsfag, this is pretty good user.

It also can kill the cells out right if the energy levels of the gamma rays are high enough it brakes down the bonds in atoms in the cell to the point of the cells death rather than just beaking the DNA bonds

Would drink with this user.

This

The same way a bullet can kill you that's invisible

Dude, carbon monoxide can kill and it's not only invisible, it's odorless.

>Four
You're so God damn retarded

DNA ENCODES IN SETS OF 3 ALONG 2 STRANDS WHILE BEING COMPLEMENTARY TO EACH OTHER

physfag here, nice this is the other half, i'm impressed by Sup Forums tonight.
1. as mentioned by another user, the heavy rays (highly energized photons or particles) can hit your dna and damage it, causing them to go crazy like cancer and tumors.
2. The ionized particles rip apart your molecules as they steal electrons they need, thus literally breaking you down sub atomically, like the sores and such in radiation poisoning.

Calling gamma rays "waves of pure energy" makes them sound like new age nonsense. They are made of photons.

Lol, all these people trying to explain radiation.
Air is invisible, fool, and not having air is invisible too.
Nitrogen is invisible. And YOU'RE BREATHING IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW

Who would win in a fight? Radiation or carbon monoxide?

It's not invisible, you idiot.

Also cherenkov radiation

Hi i am Stoned too. But Radiation is very fucked up, did you know that they useing Radioaktiv Ammunation in Irak

It's not because you don't see it that it's invisible.

>How can I breath oxygen if it is invisible
Are you also blind OP?

Cancer

That's depleted uranium

Most things that kill you are invisible. Bacteria, viruses, fungal spores, most parasites, heart disease....all invisible things that kill you. You're made up of invisible things too. There's just enough of them that you can see things with the naked eye.