mbdtf is a meme album

>Calls mbdtf a meme album
>Posts Swans
Huh...

When will you start OP?

i hate this board

what the fuck is a maximalist album?

isn't that the thing from the giver?

In the arts, maximalism, a reaction against minimalism, is an esthetic of excess and redundancy. The philosophy can be summarized as "more is more", contrasting with the minimalist motto "less is more".

[...] Digression, reference, and elaboration of detail occupy a great fraction of the text. It can refer to anything seen as excessive, overtly complex and "showy", providing redundant overkill in features and attachments, grossness in quantity and quality, or the tendency to add and accumulate to excess.

I think your definition is overly negative. While maximalism has the potential to be all those things it's really more like the wiki article you posted, make the music as epic, grand and intricate as it could be. It's basically asking,"why should we limit ourselves?"

it's actually just from earlier in the wiki article

youtube.com/watch?v=fVLGvFMzjIs
this ones gold, check it out

sorry forgot the (You)

Pet Sounds, Superfly I think

Is MBDTF the only maximalist hip-hop album?

no? cLOUDDEAD, madvillainy, black on both sides, to pimp a butterfly. plenty of others

How so? A lot of the songs feel pretty sparse in terms of instrumentation, albeit in a positive, hypnotic way.

@_extendo_

You really dont know what maximalist means

youtube.com/watch?v=h0B7Z3JERdk

youtube.com/watch?v=VBhJ86RBsyQ

these guys

>cLOUDDEAD
>maximalist
what am I reading

>drone rock
>maximalist

is this maximalist

That's closer to minimalism

Sometimes I think there's a little Too Much going on

This feels quite maximalist in the realm of folk, would you agree?

I'd agree.

essential maximalism tbdesu

cLOUDDEAD is a wickedly comprehensive record. it has pure ambient passages and proto-cloud rap that clearly aren't maximalist, but it also has tracks like Jimmybreeze and Bike that are balls-to-the-wall crazy. You can't tell me that the huge SNES-sampling beats or the passage where yoni & dose rap backwards aren't maximalist, or that the record isn't maximalist in scope.

also i posted the fucking wiki definition

Impossible nothing, he calls his albums maximalist, it is sound collage after all. BT has the world record for most vocal edits

Good album but there are a lot of Kanye influence.

>tfw an album is TOO maximalist

Not a huge fan of this but New Town Burnout is one of my favorite AnCo songs and certainly the best on CHz. Probably because it sounds less cluttered than the others.

why the word post? isn't it just a maximalist album?

Post, as in contribute to the thread, not after.

mu shits on this album but it really got me into music. never really listen to it anymore but damn. it used to be so precious to me.

Max trash

just listened to this for the first time a couple days ago and holy fucking shit

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

this album is second only to no now in the maximalist power rankings

(trout mask replica)

seriously

Eh. Wesley's Theory definitely, maybe a couple others, but a lot of the album nah.

Everything Everything is the epitome of maximalism

this is true. It explains why i like it so much even if it's just flashy pop music

no

ya'll had better be joking

kek

lmfao

fuk yea my nigga

so, i guess nobody in this thread looked up what maximalism is

Their ambient/wall of sound tracks outweigh the OTT ones though, it is their central sound after all.

And just about anything Madlib has put out

I feel this is similar to MBDTF in its grandiosity. Pretty sure I hear something I didn't catch the first time with each listen

If you think Kanye West is anywhere near the discussion of anything 'art' related you are a fucking cartoon of a person. My beautiful dark twisted fantasy is not maximalist at all.

Fuck my life.

You do know that the choir melodies in a lot of the songs on MBTDF utilise as much as 30 different voices? Not just session vocalists, I'm talking everyone from Elton John to Alicia Keys.

The mixing on it is fucking flawless, the sampling is well layered and lush. Not to mention every featured artist brought their very best to the table. Just cause every single space isnt filled with sound doesnt mean it isnt maximalist.

Melodies? LOL. Who cares who's voice it uses?

There's no flawless anything in maximalism.

What a joke of a post.

>Kanye West is an artist right?
>I have some 'food products' I'd like to sell you called 'LONDON BRIDGE'

Fuck 99.999999999% of critical discourse.

You are clearly too distracted by the criticisim surrounding this album and Kanyes cult of personality to even have a reasonable discussion with, I regret engaging you user.

also Cardiacs' Sing to God

youtube.com/watch?v=4kKc72KV5i8

My girl Shiina Ringo is hella maximalist.

The album is horrendously bad.
Good idea to go away just let me suffer.
I'm not so user am I shorty?
My current mental image is the sound of broken glass.
Could care less what you think.

youtube.com/watch?v=0JbQoj7zvXw

You already know what you are getting into with me.