Is it possible to disprove the existence of God?

Is it possible to disprove the existence of God?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
informationphilosopher.com/freedom/otherwise.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pic related doesn't prove its point. if you can't prove, then we don't have to disprove

OP is a fag

Isn't there a logical proof that there can't be an omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving god? Like God could only be 2 of the 3, but not all 3?

What is an Africa?

magnets are proof that god exists

Im not on either side of this debate but i always just imagined that our definition of loving and right could be different than god's. Allowing him to be all 3

Wtf

Which God? It's completely subjective. My version of Christ isn't the same as yours because you can only view things from your own personal universe. We may agree on certain ideas, but they won't ever be experienced the same way, so god...huh ? Jehovah ? Yahweh ? They were assholes.

Stop caring what other people think, and, keep what you're thinking to yourself because everyone is fucking nuts and doesn't need your interpretation of anything.

In fact, my god is slapping your god in the face with his enormous cock

>our definition of loving and right could be different than god's
the point of that argument would still follow, that this is not the type of god that should be loved and worshiped

a god that does not love-all things its created unconditionally means that this god created something for it to hate

>so god...huh ? Jehovah ? Yahweh ? They were assholes.
All gods that say they are omnipotent and good are assholes. I'm going to assume you believe yours is too

Yes by the fact that he basically defies all logic.

>Omniscient
If you KNEW Adam and Eve were going to eat the damn apples, why the fuck didn't you put it out of reach?
>Omnibenevolent
Isaiah 45:7King James Version (KJV)

7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I theLorddo all these things.
Well that's contradictory.
>Omnipotent
If you can do everything why not stop evil?
Also, can you create a rock not even you can lift? If so, you're not Omnipotent. If not, you're not Omnipotent. Omnipotence is impossible.

Not disproving anything, just pointing out the flaws.

The problem of Evil first defines god as an omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving god
If God created the world with Evil, it cannot be all loving because it created suffering
If God didn't want to create evil but did, it would be restricted and therefore not be omnipotent

Also Omniscience means you know everything so as a result you have no free will

Said it this morning. What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. If I said give me a $100 or ill send you to he'll, there's no way to disprove my claim. Though you still wouldn't pay me.

Nope, but you can't disprove the existence of Dragons either.

Flaws in a description make it rather hard to prove, no?
It also makes it rather hard to justify a possible existence.
Religion is delusional.

But even this has counter arguments like God created free will and that humans are evil so he can fulfill all conditions

It's not possible to disprove anything.

he just proved the idea of the christian god is flawed with basic logic

clearly they have the wrong idea of what a god is and can be
>But even this has counter arguments like God created free will and that humans are evil so he can fulfill all conditions
Read again
>If God didn't want to create evil but did, it would be restricted and therefore not be omnipotent
You just said yourself that god created evil humans.

Not to mention if God is omnipotent then he would know every action you're going to make. If you say that free will gives you the power to make actions god can't predict you will do that means he's not omnipotent

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
- Epicurus

It's the simple paradox of evil.

Trips proves that there is a god.

Only way to disprove God would be to prove another god exists.

Yeeea, i can post it again! :D:D
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
Summary:
Russel stated there's a teapot behind the moon and that nobody could disprove his claim. Others of course said that's ridiculous to which Russel asked them to prove it to him that there's in fact no teapot behind the moon. They answered that it was his stupid claim so it's his job to prove it which gives you the logical answer to this question:
The non-existance can often not fully be proven, but that often doesn't matter because the burden of proof lays with the person posing the claim.

No it's actually really easy to disprove a lot of gods. Especially when the build in their own self-destruct button by saying something like "everything written in this book is true"

I'm assuming this is in regards to the Judeo-Christian God, hence the use of the capital G in the first usage of the word and the lowercase in the second.

A lot of these questions can be answered with free will. God allows His creations to choose to do right or wrong. This is where people conveniently ignore Satan. Unfortunately he is just as real as God is. Satan chose to defy God and is currently the source of most of the evil in this world. Yet God seems to get the blame. Now many ask, so why did God allow us free will. Can't he just erase evil? He can't be all loving blah blah. The gift of free will is one of the greatest gifts of love he could have given us. He didn't want to make us robots designed to worship him. The love he requires is a choice. The chan is the wrong place to ask this haha, but stick with me here. If you could force a woman to love you unconditionally by "programming her". Would you enjoy that more or less than a woman genuinely choosing to love you. There's a big difference there. God gave us the choice. Unfortunately with that comes the inevitability that we will constantly screw up.

You can't disprove a negative, but you can basically say that the god based on (for example) the bible doesn't exist.

True

>inb4 christvucks misunderstand the big bang and evolution, and use this to claim that an ancient palestinian wizard controls the universe

>>
From Genesis Chapter 1... The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

>Couldn't it be possible that the "big bang" was very simply the powerful voice of God speaking the universe into existence.

>describes an ocean and water before the big bang

K

>free will
a free will god cannot predict means god is not truly omniscient

>Satan chose to defy God
Satan does not have free will, so either god is so evil he made something that would hate him, or he is incompetent

or Satan does have free will, and god is then again not omniscient

>Yet God seems to get the blame
and if I built a nuke that just happens to go off I would also be blamed, even though I didn't press the button

>Would you enjoy that more or less than a woman genuinely choosing to love you.
I can tell you I won't damn her to hellfire if she doesn't choose to love me, because I'm not a psychopath

>God gave us the choice.
it's not much of a choice when the alternative is to spend eternity in hell. Do you think if everyone KNEW that god existed, that if we didn't worship him we would be sent to hell, then anyone at all would choose to hate him? I would.

Apart from that, we can't KNOW god exists because all we have is a shitty book from thousands of years ago, along with a bunch of other shitty books from thousands of years ago. Which is right? Oh let's go for the easiest one that requires the least amount of effort but guarantees me eternal happiness.

Chapter 1 verse 1 is God creates the heavens and the earth. Sorry I didn't include it. I should have known the point would fly over your head and instead you would find something to fixate on. My point was simply there is a series of "Let there be..." statements where God speaks creation into existence. Couldn't the big bang have simply been God speaking the universe into existence?

If you can disprove ideas you can disprove existence of god

I've read genesis you mongoloid.

The order is wrong. the Earth gets created before the sun ? Did you fail 8th grade?

It's not a question. If god doesn't exis, neither does the requisite for disproving him. "God does not exist" isn't a logical sentence given he doesn't exist. You're using exist as a predicate to a subject that has no existence, but clearly it does, at least conceptually, if you've syntactically given it to god. If god truly doesn't exist to reality, it is not a matter of linguistic representation, and should not be treated as such. The whole argument around it is fucking stupid.

Why does everyone always ignore the top imagine of the thread - It's got some good shit pertaining to logical arguments. (ie. non logical arguments are shit tier, desperation level, last ditch attempts to win the argument).

"Burden of Proof" Fallacy:
Saying that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove it".

It's not even a clever tactic: demanding that someone else justify another's claim by stating its double negation, isn't edgy or clever. (Unless maybe in a shit-level community college philosophy class staring in a B-rate pander film).

Basically:
If if (A) there is a god, and (B) therefor he exists, the question is does A = B?. By restating it as ~(~A) = ~ (~ B), your just making it more confusing to the dumber element of society, however, we are still dealing with does A = B - which no theist has yet proven in some 12,000 years of trying.

I would very much appreciate it if this argument would kindly fuck off and die now.

>Theists believe there is a God
>Prove it!

>Atheists believe there is no God
>You don't have to prove anything! Just tip your fedora XD

>atheistlogic

Prove to me right now that there isn't a flamboyant hispanic fairy who polishes your doorknobs every night while you sleep

easy.

your face, if their was a god how could he let something like that happen to a person?

To expand on this, we have no means of requiring the necessary knowledge to consider even whether or not such a being or law (that conceptually would be similar to god) exists. Our science is far from being able to do so. Again, the semantics surrounding god seem to inflict the argument, not the actual representational ability or observation of a true omnipotent ~being~. We're far too tied up with inferential thought to even discuss the probability of a law/~being~ existing to reality. Again, you all are wasting your time. Read up on Phil- on mind, and keep up to date with the latest finds in physical studies.

do everyone a favor and body slam the inside of a volcano

Doesn't explain why there have to be so damn many unbelievably cruel diseases. A long list of them affect unborn children.
Or natural desasters.

A mental disorder can make you cause suffering while being unable to care or recognize what you're doing.

These things take your choices away and therefore limit your "free will". Not all suffering in the world is caused by humans, and even then, it often happens against everyone's best intentions and efforts

a free will god cannot predict means god is not truly omniscient
>Did you not read what I originally posted? Let me take it further then. God is omniscient and yes that means he knew we would screw up. Still he gave us free will so that we would have the choice to either accept or reject him. God doesn’t want the worship of preprogrammed robots.

Satan chose to defy God
Satan does not have free will, so either god is so evil he made something that would hate him, or he is incompetent
>Satan does have free will, and chose to defy God. He gave Satan the same choice he has given all of us. To accept or reject him.

or Satan does have free will, and god is then again not omniscient
>God knew Satan would do what he did. Still he gives us the free will to make that choice for ourselves.

Yet God seems to get the blame
and if I built a nuke that just happens to go off I would also be blamed, even though I didn't press the button
>Haha, I’d love to hear your views on gun control. You must think guns kill people not people huh?

Would you enjoy that more or less than a woman genuinely choosing to love you.
I can tell you I won't damn her to hellfire if she doesn't choose to love me, because I'm not a psychopath
>This is can concede as one of the most difficult things to grasp about the gospel. I know God isn’t all flowers and rainbows. He is all powerful and the almighty. And in being the creator and king of the universe. He has the right and ultimate judgment on our sin. Which is why he gave us a way out through Christ. Again we have the free will to choose to accept or reject the forgiveness of sin through Christ.

Apart from that, we can't KNOW god exists because all we have is a shitty book from thousands of years ago
>How do you know Washington or Jefferson existed? People giving eye witness accounts that all confirm and affirm one another. The bible is basically a series of eye witness accounts that all agree and confirm one another.

Verses 1-6 are all what God did on the first day of creation. It's not a recipe for universe making it's a description of the events of day 1. It's not like God made the Earth and then came back a few days later and went lmao my bad forgot to make the sun. Come on now.

LMAO

That makes no sense. Why is the burden of proof only on one side?

Inability to prove doesn't say anything on the nature of reality. Not only could our scientific faculty be insufficient, but it's also a purely inferential device to believe in "proof", inference, cause, etc.

It's pretty much impossible to disprove the existence of a god, but quite easy to disprove the existence of specific gods like the one from the bible or Allah.

It explicitly is it order. The Earth did not form with liquid water before the sun. That's retarded, you're retarded, read a book that isn't the bible for once.

The big bang is a way to have a God without actually calling it one. An explosion that has provided you with your life, intelligence, feelings and emotions.

Scientists seem to think the big bang was an event in the past, but actually it's still going, this/we are still the big bang, therefore we are (part) of God.

>God is omniscient and yes that means he knew we would screw up.
Then he's an asshole, he's omniscient so he knows exactly who is going to screw up. He knows Jerry is a pedo that's going to rape and kill about a dozen children before spending eternity in hell. Thanks for making Jerry perfect according to your omniscient glory.

>God knew Satan would do what he did.
So god knew satan would get humans kicked out of Eden, god knew that humans would be fooled by satan. This stops being a choice when all the outcomes are predetermined.

>And in being the creator and king of the universe. He has the right and ultimate judgment on our sin
A sin that he created, that he knew we would fall into, that again, when you know the outcome choice becomes an illusion. Free will can't exist in a predetermined universe

>Which is why he gave us a way out through Christ.
I'm sure all the Indians living in America at the time were super appreciative of that. Why don't you explain how it's their fault they're in hell right now simply by being unaware this oh so good and all-loving god existed.

>Again we have the free will to choose to accept or reject the forgiveness of sin through Christ.
No free will in determined universe. And yes, knowing the outcome means it's determined, and god knows the outcome.

>How do you know Washington or Jefferson existed?
I don't, dum dum. They're just more believable stories that don't have logical flaws built into their existence.

1.God can't be omniscient as that would destroy your concept of free will, but you need free will to say it's your fault you get eternity in hell
2.God can't be all-loving and then go on to build a system in which the things he loves get tortured for eternity because they do not love him back, all-loving does not allow you to torture the things you love, or you cannot say that god truly loves
3.Tough shit for everyone who never heard of Jesus, or find the concept of god too full of holes to be believed

Don't bother man, if he had the cognitive ability to comprehend this very simple concept, he wouldn't believe in ancient myths.

That's Pantheism, I'm a Pantheist.

it is easy to disprove that certain specific gods exist. IE: the God of the bible, Allah etc

It is nearly impossible to disprove that the general idea of a god, a prime mover, a universal cause, some abstract higher power exists

The more someone claims to know about "god" the more certain you can be that the specific god they are referring to does not exist.

Wrong question to be asking. God, who prefers Yeshua, exists. However it is not the only one of it's kind nor does it take any responsibility for existence. The men and women guided by Yeshua merely attributed more power to it than necessary.

The real question is: If the gods did not create existence and know no more about it's creation than we, then how will we ever find the answers and does it matter to begin with?

Depends on how a particular person has decided to define god.

are you retarded?

Honestly no. If you want to disprove certain religions with science, like Christianity and budhism, yes, but not the concept of god

Pantheism is far more logical than atheism.

The joke of life is that you are actually God pretending what it's like not to be God. Atheists are pretending so much so that they don't believe any God exists, but they would then be denying the existence of themselves.

Wait hold on, so pantheism believes we're the gods ourselves?

That's not really what Pantheism is.

Pantheism is when the universe and its laws is identical to god to you. For example, I'm a Pantheist and worship nature and the night sky on aregular basis.

The burden of proof is on the person arguing in the affirmative, not the person arguing in the null.

If I told you that I own an invisible unicorn at my house and you can't see or touch it, but it's real, it's not your job to prove that I don't own it, it's my job to prove that I do.

>Is it possible to disprove the existence of God?

Is this the new dick thread? Insecure Christians spamming the fuck out of Sup Forums and Sup Forums?

>The joke of life is that you are actually God pretending what it's like not to be God
Sounds more like Buddhism, in which we're all gods attempting to become one as god

This is your daily reminder that anyone who believes life begins at conception must also believe miscarriage is either murder or suicide 99.946% of the time.

Dude, just look up the definition of Pantheism. It's just atheism while equating the universe with divinity. You're just describing narcissism.

Why do they quote him and show a picture like that's some kind of original (meaningless) thought?

We are God (singular). As God we have manifested ourselves into this human existence. Why? Because when you are God you have done everything, know everything, experienced everything. You get bored. You want to experience things as new again. So here we are.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I gotta go to work so I have to rush this. Wish I had more time.

Then he's an asshole, he's omniscient so he knows exactly who is going to screw up. He knows Jerry is a pedo that's going to rape and kill about a dozen children before spending eternity in hell. Thanks for making Jerry perfect according to your omniscient glory.
>Jerry gave into sin and Satan. Jerry did not choose God. Jerry is an asshole.

So god knew satan would get humans kicked out of Eden, god knew that humans would be fooled by satan. This stops being a choice when all the outcomes are predetermined.
>How on earth does that train of logic make sense? Because God knew we would sin suddenly it isn’t our choice anymore? This is the definition of the pride of humanity. It’s never our fault haha.

Wish I had more time to discuss more but I just want you to know that I’m praying for you whether you like it or not haha. Have a great day!

That's not what Pantheism is you absolute clown.

If you only thought of yourself as God, I'd agree that's very narcissistic, but if you treat everyone else as the same as you, that is not.

/thread

I think it makes more sense to say that god is imagining this universe, and all the laws and properties it has. With his omniscience and omnipotence his imaginings equate to a perfect simulation of a universe, and all us people in it. There would then be an infinite amount of universes currently being simulated in god's imagination

That's irrelevant user, the point is that you dont actually know what pantheism is. Pantheism is seeing the universe and its laws as god. Pantheism is seeing the sky, the stars, the sun, the lake, the forest and the animals as holy.

But makes a shit ton of sense right?

Can't prove a negative. Logic and debate day 1. love libs who pretend they are educated and that the right are all morons.

No. It's contrived hot air and might as well have come out of a butthole.

Russell's Teapot.
That's why.

No, that's omniscient.

No, agnostic master race.

This isn't partisan you braindead clown, and can't prove a negative means it's ridiculous to ask someone to do so.

It makes YOU look bad. YOU can't ask someone else to prove a negative because of this exact concept.

Can you do that please?

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

-Christopher Hitchens

Or you just know the whole scope of everything so that it's all one big flowchart covering every possibility

So are there things that you don't consider "holy"?

This is like me saying "I'm superman, I can't prove it to you, but i have this comic book here"

But so is your "argument". What's wrong with it specifically?

In all fairness, the quote says "light" not "the sun". While the sun does give off light, light could very well have come into existence after matter. The sun and light are two separate things.

No, just as it is impossible to disprove the existence of a space kettle floating around somewhere really far from our galaxy riding a unicorn.

Artificial objects basically. Everything natural is holy. (Yes I know humans are technically part of nature so their creations are by extension "natural") but I think it's more than fair to make a distinction between a plastic plant and a real one.

No, it's more like saying "There is an entity that created all of existence, and while I can't prove it, we both exist in this existence and therefore it's worthy of debate."

lol, was so sure that was part of the show xD

A romantic way to see it and just as likely to be false.

No I'm Patrick

Nothing can be proved. Science can only disprove things. This is logic 101. Go read Karl Popper.

>Jerry gave into sin and Satan. Jerry did not choose God. Jerry is an asshole.
Yes, Jerry can be graded to be a bad person since god apparently made the grading system. But we have our own grading system too. And when someone throws a knife that they know full well is going to hit and kill a person, that person is at fault and an asshole. God made the knife and threw it, knowing full well what would happen and how much eternal pain and suffering everyone in hell is getting. But apparently they deserve it because they were made to be knives, and punished accordingly. As you say the knife is an "asshole" too.

>How on earth does that train of logic make sense?
>Because God knew we would sin suddenly it isn’t our choice anymore?
Yes, that's how free will and moral blameworthiness works. Having free will means you can do otherwise. You blame someone for what they've done because they could have done something else, but chose not to.

informationphilosopher.com/freedom/otherwise.html

When god knows the outcome, it is not possible for you to do anything else, so no free will, no blameworthiness.

>I just want you to know that I’m praying for you whether you like it or not haha. Have a great day!
I honestly don't care what you choose to believe if that's what makes you happy. Just don't justify being a shitty person because your god says it's okay.