Why didn't Superchunk ever break out and get super popular?

Why didn't Superchunk ever break out and get super popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vSJgwcqC1gE
youtube.com/watch?v=nNNaIGq4IMI
youtube.com/watch?v=GaFekXMu9oo
youtube.com/watch?v=DLhx2q9vQro
youtube.com/watch?v=9sTGxM9TzPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

From what I heard, they turned down several lucrative major label deals in the mid-90s so that they could continue to release music through their own label, Merge Records.

They were super devoted to (and ultimately helped shape) the indie rock aesthetic and business. They never wanted to get super popular.

Plus they never had a song that would've given them that left-field radio shot. Slack Motherfucker was as close as they got to a Loser or She Don't Use Jelly, but that was never going to get played outside of college radio.

Same reason why Silkworm never got popular. I don't think Superchunk was as consistent though. No Pocky for Kitty is fantastic but I don't think the rest of their discography holds up to it.

Fuck, Silkworm is so incredibly underrated. I
I'll never understand it.

I'm starting to think one reason why Silkworm never made it is because our good friend Steve Albini recorded all of their albums, and as we know, his sound is pretty unmarketable for the most part.

This thread is now about great 90s indie bands that never got their due

youtube.com/watch?v=vSJgwcqC1gE

I think their best albums are Foolish and Here's Where the Strings Come In.

Holy Shit I was just listening to this today. This is a great fucking album.

I love this album. I think it is better than Slanted and Enchanted, which has a similar vibe.

Got any recommended tracks from those albums? I thought a lot of the stuff released after Pocky just kind of blurred together until Come Pick Me Up, which was a refreshing change of pace in my opinion.

I fucking love Archers of Loaf. I caught them live a few years back and it was incredible.

Side note, this is indisputably the greatest EP ever made.

My favorite song on Foolish is Water Wings.

HWTS has my favorite Superchunk song, Detroit Has A Skyline.

youtube.com/watch?v=nNNaIGq4IMI

Oh I've heard Driveway to Driveway before. I like it. I just miss that raw energy that Pocky had.

I'll check these out.

Have any one heard of Number One Cup?

It's not the best stuff I've heard, but some of the songs are pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=GaFekXMu9oo

The memelord himself:

youtube.com/watch?v=DLhx2q9vQro

The Grifters are really great. I got into hm when I was reading bout Jeff Buckley, who was apparently a friend and supporter of the band.

Why do people hate Steve again? That was pretty based.

Albini has literally never done anything wrong

I'm probably one of the biggest Sloan fans on this board.
youtube.com/watch?v=9sTGxM9TzPA