Modern day hip hop always misses the mark for me it strikes me as the kind of genre that *should* be great...

modern day hip hop always misses the mark for me it strikes me as the kind of genre that *should* be great, but there are so few albums that nail the sense of excitement that I want it to provide.

>Kanye came close, but the mastering of MBDTF is just bad
>Atrocity Exhibition was technically good, but lacking in the full force of experimentation that I would like it to have achieved
>TPAB is brilliant, but it seems to get lost in its own jazziness and loses its way at points
>The Money Store is too brash, it fails to be all-encompassing and accessible enough for me to consider it a masterpiece (pretty much goes for any DG album)

In fact, there is literally NO hip hop magnum opus yet:

>Madvillainy is too lo-fi and lacklustre
>Illmatic has insane production, but the straightforward kick-snare boom-bap style is too basic
>The Infamous is probably one of my favourites, but the lyrics are just "muh hustling extorting crackheads" on every track
>Ready To Die is far too sexually focused and and lacks any sort of substance, Biggie tries to compensate by killing himself at the end to add some semblance of "depth" but it just comes across as extremely out of place
>The Low End Theory is again really basic, fans of it are way to caught up in "muh live instrumentation" and fail to recognise that all it has going for it is its sensual sound
>Black On Both Sides is brilliant, but Mos Def's delivery is annoyingly cheesy at points
>36 Chambers has terrible production, bland musical ideas
>Liquid Swords has terrible production, bland musical ideas

there are no perfect 10 hip hop albums. I'm still waiting on someone to release one. I had hope for Kendrick but not so sure after DAMN.

Didnt read, Thanks for the thread anyway

just listen to Big Aloe's City of Syrup and stop bitching

>criticises Atrocity Exhibition for not being experimental enough
>"Death Grips isn't accessible enough"
pick one

That's because you haven't listened to Funcrusher Plus

Food and Liquor

no genres besides classic or jazz have masterpieces tbqh

>caring about chimp concrète

your missing:
xxx
good kid maad city
public enemy
Aquemini / ATLiens
college dropout

>the money store too brash to be great

That's because their best is Powers that B

Half of these opinions sound like they are coming from someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

>madvillainy too lo-fi

What? It has one of the cleanest, crispest sounds out there. No clutter, all the instruments stand out perfectly in the mix, and the samples are all woven together so naturally.

I too want to hear more rap experimentation, but a lot of the albums you listed are completely fantastic and near-10s for me.

Try From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots and Black Up

TMS and Exmil are pretty overrated. They were super interesting at the time in the hip-hop landscape but DG have done so much more creative stuff with rap on NOTM and GP. TMS and Exmil stick so closely to a classic verse/chorus/verse structure and rely heavily on samples lifted from source material without editing at all.

The use of samples in interesting and creative ways is so much more apparent on stuff like NOTM, and the song structures are so much less predictable and repetetive. A lot more phases and surprises to the songs

why is the money store even mentioned? that's just if a nu-metal band was trying to make a synthpop album (pretty much goes for any DG album)

>Filename.gif
>Smiling Pepe looking towards us
>the 'critiques'
Oh, clever user

>none of these (c)rap fans know this is a copypasta

who would've known

>no clutter
what the fuck are you talking about? have you even listened to any hip hop besides Madvillainy?

here's what I propose: if you can't hear any difference in the 'cleanliness' of production between Madvillainy and Vaudeville Villain, there is no hope for you.

>The Money Store is too brash, it fails to be all-encompassing and accessible enough for me to consider it a masterpiece (pretty much goes for any DG album)
>albums need to be accessible to the masses to be masterpieces

I didn't bother reading all the way through because I agree right off the bat. There are a few hip hop albums I enjoy but even then it's still such a l i g h t admiration that I have. It always feel like it could be so much better, or that only a handful of elements in it are up to par, rather than all of them. I think it has to do with the circlejerk mentality and that it's an artist base that takes place with guys uploading shitty rhymes on soundcloud. There are SO many really fucking awful rappers that get praised that when a mediocre one emerges, he's seen as great.

>In fact, there is literally NO hip hop magnum opus yet
Yes, this one.

the frogposter is correct except for Wu Tang

why is this post on a music board?

>hasnt heard black up by shabazz palaces