>pitbull

>"I love pitbull but this song blows!"

and:

>came in one day after being called in
>had the entire office blasted with Godsmack songs
>....from Youtube

and rap

>I listen to avenged sevenfold
This is literally the thing that normies say to me most frequently when talking about music

>not listening to overtone country
youtu.be/XyhmDYLXFto

>"My music taste is diverse, [Lists all pop artists]"
>"The 90s was the best decade for music"
>"This is the worst decade/generation for music"
>"Audio quality doesn't matter"

My friend listens to only Avenged Sevenfold and a bunch of post-grunge and nu metal. How do I bogpill him out of that stuff?

But country does suck famalam

>nigger: "i listen to everything except country"
>white trash cowboy poser: "i listen to everything except rap"

It was always either or when I was going to school and it's the exact fucking same with co-workers.

Educate him and introduce him to real music like Limp Bizkit

pleb

Do you at least like country-influenced alt-rock (Violent Femmes, early REM, Meat Puppets)

I have no idea honestly, if my friends listened to nu metal it would be actually an improvement since they listen to top 40 and avenged sevenfold only

thisbut start with significant other, then 3 dollar bill

urrrr

>with co-worker
>"yeah i'm a bit of a music nerd"
>oh yeah? what genres do you like?
>"oh you know, pretty much everything except country, rap, and free form saxophone noise rock"

He already listens to Limp Bizkit

Shit nig I love all those bands you mentioned. Interestingly enough, they all released their best albums in 1984.

normies don't talk about music.
it's as significant to them as the air they breathe. it's there.

singing along to ed sheerhan

feigning interest in father john misty

nah man, it's just the mainstream stuff that sucks, it's lost its heart. for some good stuff check out alt country
youtu.be/og7kVTd6uS4

>I listen to just about everything except country
>I listen to just about everything except rap

That's all "normies" ever say because the radio is all they listen too. Which isn't any different from Sup Forums

Rap is on the radio though.

Classical is boring for pretentious elitists
Jazz is for neckbeards
Rock is varied and needs 782 subgenres, jazz and classical don't
Trap is the best music of this generation
Kanye is a musical genius

I don't see how that changes what I stated. Country is too. People choose to avoid a certain genre on the radio which is where "I listen to just about everything but " comes from

>Violent Femmes
They're objectively awful, stop listening to music if you like them

S/t and Hallowed Ground are great albums.

haha good example of shit a normie would say friend.

the only thing was than normies are the nu males who are just one wrung up the ladder from being a normies
"oh you like rock? have you heard of (extremely famous band that simply isn't on the radio)"
"yeah I like some of the weird old stuff, like (most famous band from a few decades ago)"
especially the ones you find that have made marginal attempts to get into music and have essentially sat on the first hip things they've been told are in.

Normies that like Aerosmith, Queen, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin, are fine.

the pretend non-normies who like Death Grips, Kanye, Fleet Foxes, Burzum, Grimes, they're always the fucking worst.

*only thing worse than normies

>Normies that like Aerosmith, Queen, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin, are fine
No, these ones are actually the worst because they're very close-minded in their tastes. The "pretend" ones are at least willing to give new things a chance.

THIS

"where are the words? this is just background music"

>they're very close-minded in their tastes
you do realize some people don't care about developing their taste and there's nothing wrong with that?

I would give anything a chance and see if I like it. Am I a normie?

I've dealt with someone who listened to only classic rock, expressed interest in wanting to develop their taste, but could only latch onto new artists if they sounded like or were related to classic rock.

Ok, and? How is that bad? Unless they're proclaiming superiority - I don't see what's the problem.

I had never really listened to classic rock before, yet I found out that I was pretty receptive of that person's music and was able to add a few of his artists to my own tastes. But I wasn't able to get him to like any of my music. I'm not saying it's bad that it worked out that way, but it's just a little frustrating to me.

Sure, I can relate. Those people are not the worst though. What's really scary/hard to grasp for me is when people have 0 interests whatsoever (enough to explore and develop their skills / taste), not just in music.

>you heard of led zeppelin?
>they are so good, listen to stairway to heaven or the immigrant song

Hard to say. The lewronggenwration fags are insufferable because they think music died in the 70s.

The pretentious r/music crowd is the worst because they think they are patrician listening to Radiohead and Kanye and a couple famous indie albums. They act so smug and they show you their chart and it's all Radiohead sprinkled with mainstream 90s albums like ratm and extremely mainstream indie albums like arcade fire.

Yeah if they say this, they definitely don't listen to "everything" and probably just listen to buttrock

Do people still pull the "wrong generation" thing after high school? It was alright to do that in middle school, and already barely acceptable by high school, but I can't see people still doing that in their 20's and beyond.

i think there's something wrong with that. people who don't seek out new music are boring

>people who don't like the color red are boring

t h i s s s s

get them to listen to sonic youth and husker du, that'll slowly pull em out

Based
Do you like Jason Isbell?

I already tried both accessible Sonic Youth (Goo and Dirty) and more experimental Sonic Youth with him and they didn't work. I'll try Husker Du next when I can, but things aren't looking too bright here.

get a hold of yourself, fool

there's something very wrong with it when they judge the shit out of other music because their understanding is narrow, like when they laugh at free jazz or any kind of experimental music and say "this isn't music" or they think that classical is "outdated" just because they have no appreciation of it. Not learning means staying ignorant, and ignorance leads to saying/doing ignorant shit.

>color preference says a lot about a person
Get with the times. To stick to one branch of music for almost your whole life is a geezer thing to do.

this

>I listen to anything except classical and jazz

>if top 40 is so simple, make a top 40 hit and become famous

fuck these delusional shitheads so fucking much
musically simple =/= easy to make
anyone with any knowledge of making pop music whatsoever knows well that catchy hooks n shit are musically simple but hard as fuck to write well
saying that it's relatively simple musically is not saying that it doesn't take considerable skill to do well, just as it takes skill to make aesthetically pleasing minimalist art

you can also try at the drive in

So you judge them in response because of ignorance? You don't have to take their point of view seriously, especially considering the fact that you know they're clueless.

I agree it's not cool, but as I've mentioned earlier - it's okay to be close-minded as long as they're willing to accept that tastes are different

Some people have different hobbies that take up a lot of their time, so they don't even care about music that much. A scientist can criticize you for not learning how life works (and subsequently for not helping out others with your knowledge). He'd be wrong just as you are, but at least his point would be more valid than yours.

That actually might have a higher chance of working. Good rec.

Fleet Foxes are legitimately fucking fantastic, though.

People who think indie is a genre.

>"The 90s was the best decade for music"
this is actually true, though

>it's okay to be close-minded
Then it's also okay to remind them how close minded they are, and call them out when they say something stupid

>The 90s was the best decade for music
>Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots... the list goes on

>Normies that like Aerosmith, Queen, Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin, are fine.

Who makes this shit up? These are the worst type of people to talk about music with. They're so closed minded that if a band wasn't popular in 70's or 80's they don't give them a listen. They already think they have the superior taste. At least the pretend nok normies would be more open minded when it comes to music.

You literally just said the same thing I said:

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm just saying we're all kind of close-minded in some way, so no need to take those people too seriously. And absolutely do call them out on their bullshit.

i've never heard anyone say that

I have, spend some time with teenage girls and you will hear something like this. They can't listen to anything without vocals

I tried to get my close-minded normie friend into Violent Femmes a while ago. Recently, I saw that he was listening to Blister in the Sun on Spotify. I was pretty excited to see that, so I asked him if the band finally grew on him or it finally clicked. He said, "No, it's just that they play this a lot on [insert classic rock radio station here]."

I hope now some of you can understand why this shit is so frustrating.

I love these threads because they are basically cringe threads every time. You guys get so much joy for having a better taste in music than someone else it's just one big circle jerk.

You think that's bad?

Try being from one of the most backward, rural-ass areas in Spain. You'd see your godsmack-loving boss as a freaking connoisseur in comparison.

Since we're talking about normies, I have a friend who exclusively listens to shit like these:
>youtube.com/watch?v=USXHxgWoS9g
>youtube.com/watch?v=VvUeqRwWorM
>youtube.com/watch?v=DWaB4PXCwFU
Can you guys recommend me something for him. I don't want to sound like a dick, or a pretentious cunt, but I'd also like him to listen to something more interesting

Give him a quick rundown.

>I'd also like him to listen to something more interesting
You do realise that he probably thinks whatever you listen to is not as interesting, right?

Good

A friend of mine is very competitive so, once he wanted to show off he knew more about music than me. (He didn't, but I didn't felt like arguing) So he says:
"Oh, I listen to everything, EVERYTHING, EXCEPT The XX. That's the only artist I don't like."

So, then I show him some shoegaze:
"Okay, so I also don't like weird music."

Relationship of Command my man

Yeah that's the one I'm going with. But if that doesn't work then I really don't think there's anything else I could try. Might just have to call it quits.

Yeah, probably, but whenever we talk about my music, he always brings up stuff like that, and when I tell him he should probably broaden his music taste, he just gets defensive and says that my stuff is not music

>it's fine
>it's bullshit
pick one

this would physically pain me if i heard someone say this

mastodon

That Lacuna Coil song was one of the most terrible things I've ever heard.

Deloused in the Comatorium?

>quietly enjoying jazz thru headphones

>"you think you're better than us just because you listen to unpopular music huh user? HUJH???!112"

>him listening to screamo at work
>i put on daft punk's homework
>all of a sudden he has a migrane

Give up this fight now before it's too late. You're not going to be able to reason with him.

I didn't say it's bullshit tho
They present themselves with bullshit, which is fine because people are flawed. So yeah, arguing about that is good as long as you're not a dick (see for details)

I don't personally like The Mars Volta myself. I'm only recommending him things that I like.

>"turn that shit off user"

He's a very difficult person to deal with because he's always trying to one up you in everything, even if you're not trying to compete.

>listening to enka

>"why are you such a weeb?"

Why are you still friends with him?

>just because it's experimental doesn't mean it's successful experimentation

Yeah, i tried to get him to listen to pic related when he had a hard-on for sci-fi shit, he literally just listened for 1 minute, then realized it was a full album and said "Who listens to a full album anyway?"

Well, he's actually a very loyal friend. Like, if there's something that's bothering you he'll be the first guy to try to help you. Which he already did for me a couple times.
I like him, he's a really good friend, but he's also a really annoying person.

Hello Fran

Sup William?

Your name isn't Francis/Frank right?

just because these people have mouths it doesnt mean i dont want them to STFU