Star Trek

Do I start with TOS or TNG?

TOS definitely

TOS

TNG then DS9 then TOS then VOY then ENT

Maybe even start with ENT and do it chronologically

TOS first and then TNG. Stop there unless you are ok with not expecting much from VOY, DS9 and ENT.

You don't have to watch all of it;
>Fry: You know. 1966? 79 episodes, about 30 good ones.

>Not expecting much from DS9

>voyager before anything
>voyager at all
opinion discarded

DS9 was a mess with the le huge space battles and some other things, but in characterization and humanization of the different races (especially the ferengi/cardassians) it was top fucking tier.

Yes

I'm watching TNG now. Enjoying it, even the first season, but I don't think I could handle the cheesiness of TOS.

the cheese only makes it hurt more when shit gets real

TOS

Always watch in order of release

So, start with DSC?

STD, you mean.

TOS is more fun and campy while TNG is more serious in dealing with politics and morals and shit. So take your pick based on that.

I'd say go for DS9 but then again everything you watch after will be worse.

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature

There were relatively few space battles, especially considering how there was a war going on for several seasons.

DS9 is mandatory watching, but should be watched after TNG.

>using big words to try and fit in in a science fiction thread
literally no one knows what those words mean

I know what all of those words mean. And he was quoting a robot.

Is this bait, or have you just never seen Star Trek?

>That scene in Generations when Data starts crying after finding Spot

That was way too real. I'd die if I lost any of my cats.

>tfw you realize Spock's father was actually a Romulan

And though you are not sentient, Spot , and do not comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend

I nonetheless consider you

TOS. Kirk/Spock/McCoy chemistry is top tier and it's an important part of television history that still holds up very well. If the age turns you off, you could always watch the remastered versions with the updated effects. But the original effects are good. The HD restoration is also very good.

I never got too into TNG, but everyone always says it only becomes good after season 3. The entire run of TOS lasted 3 seasons and they made the best of it.

It's easily the best overall, and yes it should be watched a little later. When I recommend stuff to get people into Trek I normally suggest

>Star Trek 1 and Generations to get a feel for which era you like better
>TOS or TNG based on above
>The rest of the movies
>DS9
>Enterprise
>Voyager if you're really starved for more Star Trek

>posting big words even though no one knows what they mean

>Star Trek 1 and Generations to get a feel for which era you like better
>TMP and Generations as someone's first Star Trek

Generations is basically a longer TNG episode so it's a good example of what to expect from the show. TMP is similar in that regard as well.

Did you fail all of your high school biology classes or something? And he was quoting the show, retard.

Why did they even try to address the fact there's two varieties of Klingon?

Because turbo nerds abhor inconsistency and and need answers for everything. Their answer wasn't great but it was good enough.

Total newcommer? Start with TNG

If you like it, then go to TOS

At least it was better than TNG's "We wuz ancient humanoids" retcon

What is the "A wizard did it" of Star Trek? I'm gonna go with tachyons.

Q

TOS is shorter and starts off better so I'd say that. The first two season of TNG are really pretty bad.

Its not that there were space battles that I didnt like, it was the way they did the battles were it felt like the opening of Revenge of the Sith. There was just an absurd fuckload of ships flying around and I didnt give a shit, also the sheer numbers involved cheapened the ships and made each ship feel irrelevant, which is now how ships are supposed to be in the Star Trek universe. Each ship is supposed to be a massive investment, more like naval ships around the WWII period, when you have people talking about thousands of ships and shit in one battle its just fucking dumb in context of the rest of the series (for example one of the first and one of the best examples of Star Trek ship v. ship battles Balance of Terror, or the ship duel in Wrath of Khan).

lol

Android, you racist

Exotic forms of radiation

For TNG all the seasons have some really good episodes, so even the bad seasons are unskippable

Get out.

TMP is not typical of a TOS episode, and Generations is just crap compared to any average TNG episode.

An android is a type of robot you pedantic fag.

They must have budgeted really badly because the space battle in the season finale is 50%+ recycled footage.

Android's and robot's are actually two completely separate things.

>he didnt like The Chase
Literally retarded, maybe a series centered around the pakleds would be more your speed, you mongoloid piece of shit.

Yes I like Star Trek

>Encounter a strange alien they can't properly communicate with
>Find a non-violent solution to it

How is it not like a lot of the TOS episodes.

>android
noun [ C ] US /ˈæn·drɔJd/

a robot (= mechanical device) that looks like a person.

Also, knowing when to use an apostrophe is something a robot and an android would know.

>he thinks dictionary's define language
Robot means a really specific thing, an android is not and will never be a type of robot, it's something completely different. Do the research.

How it looks (its drab and colorless compared to the batman tier colouring in the show, and everything looks more solid and less cheap, especially other races), the pacing (glacial compared to the show), the amount of characterization involved, the scale of the threat, everything.

Not that I mind, I like the movie alot, its just definitely not typical.

>>he thinks dictionary's define language

That is literally what a dictionary does. That is it's sole purpose.

The episode was good, the retcon was not.

Again with the greengrocer's apostrophes. Learn to communicate.

>All blimps are dirigibles, but not all dirigibles are blimps

Retcon of what?

Dictionaries list definitions of words. They don't invent them.

I agree with your points but I think those are more superficial issues compared to the substance of it. Yes the threat was bigger because it's a movie, there's less characterization because they assume you've seen the show.

So people can do the movie or show first, I just personally think the movie is a nice opening to the show.

>dictionaries don't define language
>Dictionaries list definitions of words
>don't define
>have definitions

So which the fuck is it?

Nice use of big words, did you think anyone knew what they meant when you came up with your brilliant post?

Do (You) know where you are?

another trek thread derailed by severe autism

>I'm retarded so everyone else is too
You're just digging the hole deeper.

>watch the TNG movies for a feel for the TNG show

lol fuck you, faggot

No, I meant there is less characterization in the show, the movie was great for that (mostly because the show can space characterization across many shows so its more sparse).

As for superficial: how much superficial stuff can change before it doesnt feel like the show anymore? I think TMP is definitely in the spirit of the show but I dont think it feels the same.

I actually think the show itself starts off pretty well, especially if you start with the pilot (though alot of that gets repeated in a later episode, which is annoying as fuck), the movie feels better as a cap on the end of the series imo.

I said Generations, not the other movies. Generations is very much like a TNG episode.

TOS->Movies 2/4/6->TNG->Enterprise Then just watch whatever

It's very much like a bad TNG episode.

I agree the feeling is a bit different, especially since it has a lot of what was going to be Phase II in it. The series does get up and going pretty quickly which is nice, it's just TNG that is awful to start.

Why put a space between your text and the link to the post you're quoting? What is the reason for doing that? Also TNG season 1 is comprised of mostly fantastic episodes.

More aesthetically please to me and I've always done it. Your the first person in all this time that has ever asked me why.

It doesn't matter. You can enjoy TNG without TOS but TOS is fun in its own right and worth watching and makes TNG more interesting to notice the changes.

Did the same person make these posts? Is putting a space between the link and text something only you do in Trek threads or is it a common thing?

....interesting. I'm trying it now. Let's see if I can ascend to a new level in shitposting comfort.

I made some of those posts, not all of them. So clearly it's not that strange if others are doing it.

>Is putting a space between the link and text something only you do

What did he mean by this?

TNG season one had some good episodes but also some real stinkers (not that I would recommend Generations like that other guy, in my opinion all the TNG movies should be burned)

Some phones do it automatically.

So?

Harder question: Which Star Trek novels are worth reading?

None of them.

None. You sick fuck.

TOS then DS9. Rest are optional

Computer, please create an exact replica of New York City on the day September 11th, 2001 at the time of 08:00. Place me upon the rooftop of the World Trade Center. Execute program titled "911".

Computer, disengage safety protocols.

TOS, but only the third season. Then go to TMP and The Final Frontier. Then to TNG, but drop it after the second season and go to all of Voyager, then watch the first two seasons of Enterprise and forget the rest because that's all you need to watch the best Trek kino: Into Darkness.

Is there a reason you posted the exact opposite of what someone should do?

How do you anons deal with the crippling shame that comes along with the fact that you are an adult watching star trek?

Not sarcasm, asking for my own sake

Never admitting it to anyone ever. When the secretary at my office said something about Leonard Nimoy's death I said Huh? and ran away.

Androids should not have human rights.

Just because "he" looks and sounds human and has facial expressions humans can empathize does not negate the fact that "he" is just an extremely complex machine that is functioning how "his" designer programmed him to. The idea that androids should have human rights is absurd. So every computer that is as complex and well made as "him" that is able to create the illusion on life well enough to fool the human brain into thinking "he" is real should have "their" "life" valued as much as yours or mine in a situation where one of us can be saved from being blown up by a bomb? Ridiculous, more of Picards SJW hogwash!

Are you retarded?

Were these posted by the same person?

He's smarter than you.

>invite ambassador aboard
>it turns out he's a space rapist or mental link murderer

Every fucking time.

Thread dead.

Please see:
for the current Star Trek thread

No thanks, not interested in your thread.

>trying to get people to talk about Enterprise
jesus christ, have to admire your dedication though

Power couplings, just... Power couplings

No those are what's always breaking.