How much longer do we have to wait until Starfleet becomes a reality?

How much longer do we have to wait until Starfleet becomes a reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/whooutsmartswhom/a-dream-fading-digital
ibtimes.co.uk/nuclear-diet-extremophile-bacteria-that-eats-radioactive-waste-discovered-peak-district-1464837
twitter.com/AnonBabble

guessing we will go extinct before this ever happens

After WWIII, then after the eugenics wars, then after warp drive is invented. so a while to go, dont hold your breath.

Can't we juat skip to the warp drive

We have to wait one hundred forty-four more years.

Sure! How many years are you into experimental and theoretical physics research?

Work harder and we'll be there that much quicker. Science and progress dont achieve themselves ;)

hopefully within our lifetime, but i wouldn't bank on it.

soundcloud.com/whooutsmartswhom/a-dream-fading-digital

Why haven't scientist been working on this already

lol stupid NEET bitch got rekt

Through the power of Christ all things are possible

there are a million and one reasons why that is a dumb question. I literally dont know where to start.

Because basement dwelling fags like you are leeches on societies ass.

Uhh alot faster if the US funded nasa more. A trip to mars was pushed to like 10-20 years cause of funding. If they got what they asked then it would take about 2 years. Soo imagine if we just threw money at them how much projects would be started how many ideas and theories tested cause they have so much money to spend on them.

Its not stupid. We need to explore the final frontier

>If they got what they asked then it would take about 2 years.

God EmperorTrump will make it happen in 2 years, for free, because he'll make the Martians pay for it.

>a million and one reasons
now its a million and two ;)

Not before the year 2130

there is multiple orders of magnitude of progress that needs to be done for warp travel. It would take 100x more progress than humanity has made so far.

Warp drive, or any FTL scheme, is so far out of the realm of possibility that it's laughable.

We will have hard AI and the entire solar system colonized and cold fusion and be able to upload consciousness long before warp drive is invented.

60 years for UE Starfleet

150 years for UFP Starfleet

It's interesting how quickly Earth recovered from WW3, did the Vulcans have some sort of anti radiation tech for the Earth kek?

A MAD situation with over 600million deaths should have fucked up the planet for a much longer time...but Trek is getting lazier and lazier with their lore. It's almost not ed ven sci-fi st this point, just lump it in with Star Wars and Doctor Who as space-fantasy.

I'm not expecting the Expanse desu, but I don't want it to slide any further.

We're gonna need at least another world war, and I'm pretty sure we'd end up with Starship Troopers or Battletech instead.

No Vulcans are going to rescue us from ourselves, user.
We will go extinct and we will have only ourselves to blame.

We've got about 40 more years before warp drive according to the show. Then damn near a hundred years of putzing around before we actually start getting out into space.

>some sort of anti radiation tech
maybe you could engineer some sort of microbe to eat radiation. That would be a lot more feasible than most other aspects of star trek.

I'd be more concerned we run across a paperclip maximizer before we meet the vulcans, and we skip straight to Voyager and never see the original movies.

Underrated post

other things that will happen before warp drive:
nuclear war, immortality for humans, we re-terraform the earth into eden, anti-matter power, everything william gibbson warned us about, designer babies, tiny giraffes, completely fabricated wonderful new life forms, vacations on venus, op gets laid.
etc.

A microbe that eats protons?
I guess

fpbp tbh

I don't even give a shit about interstellar travel. There are plenty of worthwhile space goals here in our own system we can tackle first; if we actually committed to the task we could colonize Mars in decades, leaving this system is a task for future generations and if we get off our asses it may turn out that those generations come from Mars rather than Earth where the more sedentary and complacent people remained.

Way too long.

>muh fermi paradox

i was thinking more like it eats radiation and encapsulates anything radioactive making it "safer" than actually changing the nuclear structure of the matter itself. There are extremphiles adapted to these conditions already.
ibtimes.co.uk/nuclear-diet-extremophile-bacteria-that-eats-radioactive-waste-discovered-peak-district-1464837

this, the solar system is our generations conquest if we are up to the challenge.

The stars are for our distant, distant descendents

Not quite, more like one that binds the radioactive elements into bigger, less mobile molecules, or otherwise help sequester the material.

>tfw San Francisco is currently overrun with homeless people

Sanctuary Districts are actually a likely scenario.

Never. We won't make it that far. Besides an inevitable WWIII that will set us back, we're too occupied with 67 genders and fighting 'the man' tonreplace him with communism. Worst generation ever by fucking far. I'm with George Carlin on this one. The human race is so fucked up. We can't even take care of ourselves on Earth. All this fucking money that could be going to help fix real issues. Fighting disease, homelessness, taking care of our veterans, hunger, poverty, etc. Going on a trip to Mars is not in the least bit paramount.

>if we are up to the challenge.
I'm not sure we are. It took 8 months for the First Fleet to sail to Australia, we could probably send colonists to Mars in 6 months soon.

But most couldn't handle it, or would opt out. We aren't the people we used to be ;_;

inb4 they were all criminals or slaves
Some marines chose to go

>Starcraft Intensifies

100's of years, the US stopped caring about NASA and other countries space programs are 50 years behind and a fucking joke.

I mean, NASA's really served its purpose. We beat the Russians in a propaganda victory, and we have missiles that can kill anything anywhere on the planet. Until we have an existential threat outside our atmosphere, NASA will see no more funding.

But what about exploration?

china headed to the moon, russia the only ride to the space station until space x is a go for manned rides, NASA just invented a warp engine
that works even though not propulsion at multiples of light speed speed, a significant advance in both propulsion and eventually physics when they figure out why it works

Until there's a strategic reason to look deeper into space, NASA is a feel good money sink, at least as far as the government is concerned. Until we either need more minerals than we can produce terrestrially, or we stumble across something really important that needs looked at in person, NASA is where the government hides the smart people so they're around to help when the military stops bullying them long enough to realize they need engineers.

I think we should get up there, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

/thread

You hit the nail on the head, /user/.

I have nothing to add.

People will pay for the chance to make a new world.
That may be incentive enough.

As much as I like the idea of mining asteroids and scouring space for minerals, the truth is that we have everything we need right here on Earth, that's sort of deep space heavy industrial stuff will only makes sense once as a population in space to use it, and if enough interested potential colonists can pony up the cash there will be.

MarsOne is scam/failure but at least 200,000 people applied so interest does exist.