We are now more than a week after the release, what are your "final" thoughts on this one ?

We are now more than a week after the release, what are your "final" thoughts on this one ?

Momentz is the only good song

It's not Gorillaz... This is true Gorillaz

charger is pretty much the only good song.

Anthony Fagtano summed it up pretty well in his review

album sucks

Awesome album let me out might be my favorite, with saturnz barz at a close second.
Charger is awesome, moments is great, busted and blue, andromeda, they're all really good

Gorillaz fucking suck. Get some taste, scrub.

No love for Busted and Blue ? I think this one is a pretty good song.

Yeah my toughts so far but i like it anyway

this

I honestly like it, could even be my second favorite album by them.

Same here, I was not that much hyped by the release but let me out, made me want to listen to it.

this games cg is fucking ass

Not my favourite album but there are some great songs, wont be skipping any if it comes up in my playlist

What's wrong with it? Gorillaz is creative and alternative, Humanz is precisely that.

This

They changed style...
it is not bad ... just not what I expected of them ...
first reaction
>what the fuck is this shit
>closes tab and opens feel good.inc

Its absolute trash.

The whole point is it's supposed to keep changing. It was a side project to experiment. Not liking the experimentation is fine, but no specific album is more true than others.

It was a solid fucking album and if there was more focus on the characters it could even be the best Gorillaz album but I don't think Damon Albarn is that interested in that end of the project anymore. He basically said as much before Plastic Beach, they were going to get all the same people together to make a multimedia project called Carousel and he said he saw Gorillaz as more of a group of people who collaborate on projects than just a fictional band, I think this is the best proof that he still sees it that way and the characters are just a tool for him to present the music he wants to make. This is probably the best album they could have made so disconnected from the original premise.
Overall, I still probably like Plastic Beach more but its a back and forth for second between Humanz and Demon Dayz for me. And another contest for last between the self-titled and The Fall(which I still enjoyed despite there being so much hate for it).

dude they always change style, most of their albums have been totally different styles

definitely not a BAD album

but i'd expect something a little more... 'complex'? from the gorillaz. some tracks reminded me of SBTRKT's album from 2011...

Are you comparing Flume to Gorillaz right now ?

It was complete garbage.
There's no other way to put it.

Explain

I just use it as an eye catching image. The new album is trash. I get the direction they are going in but even accounting for that its still bad. Damon is supposed to be a good music writer in general and that should transfer across genres.

Went from songs with features with Bobby Womack (RIP) and orchestral composition.

to

>"The sky is falling baby drop that ass before it crash"

See

There totally is a different way to put it. Not trying to say you're wrong but I would like more detail on how you feel about it.

*asteroid crash*
Did you even see the video?

You summed it up nicely.

It really is fucking shit. I've listened to it five times. In different locations, volumes, etc. The last time I played it was 2 hours ago. I've decided won't bother with it again, it really is shit.

Too much pointless rap. Not melodic or artistic enough like previous stuff. And don't anyone try and tell me this will grow on me. I know a stinker when I hear it. I really wanted to like it, only gave it a few extra listens because they've been an integral part of my growing up.

Gorillaz is now dead to me. Damon, just retire. Back in the day you were young, talented and gifted. Stop now before you become another artist that churns out crap music 20-30-40 years after your last decent offering.

Seeing something and meaning that is what the lyrics say. If you go research you'll see what I wrote is what the actual lyrics are. Even if they werent its still a shit song.

Dont worry kiddo. You'll get there one day.

This pretty much only ok songs were the ones he released before the album. Politics pollutes it too.

It's just lazy. And doesn't hit any chord with me.
Only the animations are great, but that's always the case with them.

Damon didn't write all the songs by himself with all the feats, and i think that it denatures his style.

That song is pretty blm anyway

Fuck off to Sup Forums

Album is a pile of shit

Yeah the sjw agenda ruined it for me. Too much blm shit. I wanna listen to music, don't fucking preach to me.

dude i specifically said its not a bad album

just not great

and i hate Sup Forums

Leftist cuck propaganda trap, it's alright if you get past it but some songs are unbearably bad

Am I the only one that only like Andromeda on the album and everything else doesn't like gorillaz?

There's tons of shit on self-titled, Demon Dayz and Plastic Beach like that though.

Andromeda, Busted and Bruised, Momentz and Ticker Tape are the ones I think sound most like older Gorillaz, mostly because Damon is on them so much.

fuck off back to /po/ we're talking about the merits of the work on its own, not disqualifying it because of personal politics.

Yeah. Hard finding anything not trying to shove their agenda up your ass these days.

Yeah you're right. But this time round it seems forced and preachy. Also I'm over being told how being white makes me evil.

But that's not the main reason I hate this latest offering. The fact it seems flat and uninspired is why. Its like no one got along and they just went through the motions knowing they were making a shit tier album, and not looking forward to the day it was released and they had to start promoting it.

Out of Body gave me godly asmr feels

I mean, no one on the album ever calls out white people. They make tons of references to cops but that doesn't inherently mean white people, its about the criminal justice system as a whole in the US.
The second bit is what I don't get though. The production is as good on Damon's end as it has ever been. There's a pretty solid variety of moods on the album. Busted and Bruised is every bit as lamenting and sorrowful as Let Me Out is confrontational and unapologetic. If it was just the rap tracks I would agree with you that they gave up a lot of inspiration and variety for a very narrow take on Western society but We Got The Power closing out the album was probably the best decision they made. I thought it was pretty clear that through all the tension it ended on a note of unity. Hell Damon even got Noel Gallagher to sing on it.
But at the very least I'm glad we could talk about it without this turning into a shit-flinging bitchfest.

You make good points mate. And I should be the last to complain coz I'm a massive Public Enemy fan. Its getting waaaay late in my part of the world and I can't really do my arguments justice. It just seemed too often while listening to this it felt contrived or formulaic, even forced. Like they were saying 'were Gorillaz, people expect us too push things, its just we cant admit that this time round we don't have the energy or the inspiration. Let's just make it sparkly with the graphics and hope no one notices we've released a poor effort. Then well make it even more overly political so we will have people loving it for that alone even if it does sound shit, they will agree with the message.'

Reminds me too much of emporers new clothes.

Yeah, I can see how you got there. There's a lot of music coming out right now as a reaction to the political situation in the West and its probably going to be that way for a few years. I've never felt that any form of art should be afraid to be political, though that is definitely used as an excuse to exploit the listeners beliefs at times. Not always clear when that is though so for all I know you could be write and they phoned this in to get points off of everything going on.
At least Andromeda is still just a song for Womack, even if that does set it apart from most of the album.

As with every Gorillaz album it gets better each the I listen to it. I really like Humanz. Its no Demon Days, but its good.

That being said I hate hallelujah money

That band sucks so badly. I dont understand how you all like them. All their songs are cringy as fuck.

I fucking hate album pic

Mainstream-influenced Gorillaz album? No thanks.

I miss phase 2.

I don't think they will top it TBH the last album was meh and even phase 3 was better.

I do like saturnz bars and Andromeda but there isn't enough Damon/2d in it compared to Clint Eastwood and dare feel good and up on melancholy hill.

Why the fuck is albarn barely featured on his own album ? Such a shame we can't get another album like demon days

Gorillaz fucking sucks. Why do people like their music?

Agreed. Have you heard their song Clint Eastwood? When the black guy starts rapping its the gayest most retarded fucking thing Ive ever heard. I cringe so badly. The only people I know who like Gorillaz faggots im real life.

>implying I listen to that garbage

The first Gorillaz was a pretty good foray into a multifaceted experimental sound. It was not good all the way through but the good tracks were great.

Demon Days was legendary and one of the best albums ever made. The concept is great. Every song was a different flavor but all of them were epic. It's still one of my favorite albums.

And everything afterwards just sounds like some emo guy making faggy pop with a synthesizer and a Mac. Just terrible.... and not even one good track after Demon Days. I don't understand how anyone is still on board with this.

Here's what I believed happened. Albarn is a genius producer and collaborator with other artists. The first 2 albums were almost entirely collaborations, and they were genius. Hence the different flavor on every track. I suspect even the songs that it says Albarn wrote he was basically just producing or completing a song that the collaboration artist already had 90% completed (ala Mark Ronson).

So as soon as Gorillas stopped being mostly collaborations and Albarn actually had a stronger hand in writing the material it became absolute garbage.

Honestly, I've known emos with Macs and synthesizers that come up with better shit that Albarn these days.