ITT: Classic albums you just don't get

I like hip hop, but Illmatic sounds like just another tired boom-bap album to me.

This goes for most southern hip hop.

I'm with you. And the other main hip hop classic, 36 chambers, doesn't do a lot for me either. Oh well, I guess 2010s rap is more my style

Anything by David Bowie. He just seems so run of the mill.

I hope you are shitposting...

Imagine being this lost.

literally every song would be a hit if this was made yesterday, NY state of mind still has one of the best beats I've ever heard

And while we're talking about hip-hop, I don't really like ITANOMTHUB much either

listen to Memory Lane or Represent and say that punk

COME TO QUEENSBRIDGE

every song just goes on twice as long as it needs to

Mah, the albums bore me. ATQC Outkast and DJ Shadow are good 90s hip hop tho

Thank you for no "overrated albums" or "albums people pretend to like"

Same for me but also pic related. Prog just doesn't click with me

Just sounds like boring, generic rock a 16 year old girl would listen to

>classic

consider suicide

None of the Velvet Underground's albums do anything for me.

this
36 chambers is so boring to me

for me its this; but I understand its just not my style, the songs dont sound bad, but i just dont like it

It has the same effect as 'Seinfeld isn't funny' it was good then but it doesn't feel like it's really special noe

2spooky

How you feel about El-p?

You don't like hip hop as much as you think you do

One of my favorite hip hop albums of all time

I just don't see how you think its boring. It's a super energetic album and with the skits along with the actual tracks I just can't see how this is possible.

I checked out all of Nirvana's major albums since my friend kept going on about how they pioneered a lot in rock. They sounded like just another rock band, but maybe I'm just not grasping how many things in their work was new/revolutionary at the time they came on the scene

this

I'd listened to this album since a child and didn't get it until a couple months ago. It's the fact that he uses extremely intricate rhyme schemes accompanied by great stories and delivery. The beats aren't all spectacular but Nas is the pinnacle of rap as a poetic medium. Rhymes like "in my physical i can express through song, release stress like motrin, then extend strong" and others are unmatched by today's hip hop imo. Nas just flows things in a way that people just can't do. It's truly brilliant, shame he only mastered it for one album.

why do people like this album?

lmao that's the last word i would use to describe 36 chambers

to each his own i guess

This is the correct answer, this album gave a lot of new things in the rap in those days.

I've tried so hard to get this to click but i just can't.

>it's been 4 years
Where does the time go Sup Forums?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that someone recommended you this as one of the first jazz albums to get into. Even though people recommend this one to jazz newcomers all the time, it's really not where you should start. Listen to more traditional jazz and then come back to this one and you'll probably appreciate it a lot more.

crazy world we live in

Haven't checked his solo stuff out yet but a fan of RTJ and RAP music

Have you listened to company flow?

What exactly do you mean

>t.underaged faggots who shouldn't be posting

It's not hard to "get" those albums, you're just too young and ADHD riddled to handle anything other than right here right now 2 minute tracks

Eminem became too big of a meme, people glance over his insane production skills, and the fact that it's just some random guy doing this, not some predefined icon. Any hip-hop fan should enjoy mmlp, God tier music.

It's not meant to be listened to in it's entirety, people listen to full albums and think it makes them Sup Forumstier critics. Most albums aren't entirely good, especially in this genre, some songs are MEANT to be skipped, removed or listened to only halfway. Futures last album was 99% garbage because he knew "mask off" was decent, and it's all he needed, Joywave made destruction which practically only has "now" as a reasonably good song, but it carried to the whole album.

I think it's decent but souvlaki is way better in my opinion

Listen to the rhymes as well as the production, not just the production and the chorus.
>Most albums aren't entirely good
Like which ones? I've never heard a bad hip-hop album.
> some songs are MEANT to be skipped
Which ones off of which albums?

+1

wrong album to start into prog. If you like radiohead's clean style and Moon and Antarctica, try out A trick of the tail or Wind and Wuthering then Selling England by the pund then Foxtrot and Fragile.
If you're into psychedelic rock start with The Yes Album and, dunno, some other wankery prog shit from the late 60s.

>If you like jazz and fusion, Soft Machine (the Canterbury scene in general) Arti e Mestieri and ELP might titillate your almonds.

>If you like hard rock and crooning try Red and Starless and Bible Black (The night watch is 10/10) or Aqualung or Gentle Giant, maybe? Also UK and Fripp's session with Phil Collins.

>If you like Bowie and Iggy Pop's new wave period, listen to Peter Gabriel (of fucking course) and Fripp's Exposure. Also that guy Eno. And David Sylvian.

>If you like folk, check out Aphrodite's child and some italian prog, it's great, trust me. And that album John Martyn made with Phil Collins, Fool's something something.

>If you like cockrock, there's also ELO, Steely Dan, Moody Blues and literally thousands other bands recommended in youtube videos.

>If you're gay, Rush's that a-way.

ONE TIME FOR YOUR MIND ONE TIME

+1, its beyond generic

this album is fucking gay

>I don't like something
>bad