Is there a god?

Is there a god?

Not trying to start religious bullshit I just want to hear your opinions on whether or not any of this god shit is true

if there is, he isn't the one you've heard about

This.

Billions of years from now the space between galaxies will be expanding faster than the speed of light such that light emitted from one galaxy can never reach another. Observers of the universe at that point will look out into space and only see local gravitationally bound formations; for us it will be the local group. They will look back in the history books and read about a time when we observed all kinds of galaxies all over the place and will compare those observations with ones made now. They will conclude that we made up those galaxies because there is only one galaxy and has only ever been one since there is no evidence of any other. It will be impossible to ever reach those galaxies because they will be infinitely distant and in no way could they interact with the only galaxy that the observers can see.

We know now that other galaxies are true and will continue to be true in the future but once those galaxies cease to be able to interact with the known universe does it even matter if they exist? Those observers would correctly state that those galaxies don't exist.

You gotta explain that shit to a non-astrophysicist haha

THIS so fucking much

I believe that god exists in the same way that I believe maths exists. Not that it/he is literally a physical thing. But instead that it exists in an abstract sense, in the human mind. This abstraction then allows us to map ourselves on and in to the universe. Enabling us to generate complex motive functions i.e. Maths makes empiricism, engineering, natural science and geometry possible and Philosophy/theology makes politics, social theory and art possible.

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan
The proper study of Mankind is Man.[8]
Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A Being darkly wise, and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest;
In doubt to deem himself a God, or Beast;
In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
Whether he thinks too little, or too much;
Chaos of Thought and Passion, all confus'd;
Still by himself, abus'd or disabus'd;
Created half to rise and half to fall;
Great Lord of all things, yet a prey to all,
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl'd;
The glory, jest and riddle of the world.

Go, wondrous creature! mount where science guides,
Go, measure earth, weigh air, and state the tides;
Instruct the planets in what orbs to run,
Correct old time, and regulate the sun;
Go, soar with Plato to th’ empyreal sphere,
To the first good, first perfect, and first fair;
Or tread the mazy round his followers trod,
And quitting sense call imitating God;
As Eastern priests in giddy circles run,
And turn their heads to imitate the sun.
Go, teach Eternal Wisdom how to rule—
Then drop into thyself, and be a fool!

Cease then, nor order imperfection name:
Our proper bliss depends on what we blame.
Know thy own point: This kind, this due degree
Of blindness, weakness, Heav'n bestows on thee.
Submit.—In this, or any other sphere,
Secure to be as blest as thou canst bear:
Safe in the hand of one disposing pow'r,
Or in the natal, or the mortal hour.
All nature is but art, unknown to thee;
All chance, direction, which thou canst not see;
All discord, harmony, not understood;
All partial evil, universal good:
And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite,
One truth is clear, Whatever is, is right.

In the beginning there was the meme, and the meme was with god, and the meme was god.

I know this sounds like a joke, but it's the most real thing you will ever read.

Understanding this will unlock the truth to all things in the world of human interaction.

An Essay on Man: Epistle I Related Poem Content Details
BY ALEXANDER POPE

We can see that space is expanding right now, it's hubble's law. The further an object from Earth the faster it is receding away from us. Scientists have no idea why it's happening but it just is. So, if space in between two objects is increasing and light can only travel the speed of light, a photon emitted from a star that is extremely far away the space between us and the star will appear faster than the light can traverse it. That photon will never reach Earth because it can't go any faster. It just gets caught in emptiness forever. Also, light is the fastest thing in the universe; it's the rules. If light can get stuck in spacial expansion and never reach it's destination then no space ship or probe or colony ship could do likewise. Those distant galaxies will be unreachable and will have no way for us to interact with them. We won't be able to see them, we could never go to them, we could never sense gravity from them; they would just disappear. This is true of every galaxy with the exception of the local group; the milky way, andromeda and the surrounding dwarf galaxies.

The point is that we know that things are true now but can change such that we can correctly conclude that they are no longer true. The same is true for God. Even if God exists, He cannot interact with out universe and therefore His existence isn't important.

Holy shit! I've obviously heard that the universe is perpetually expanding but never heard theories/laws such as this. It completely makes sense though

I like tolkins idea of god. The universe is just god thinking.

I've never heard a reasonable justification for believing in any god or gods. The motivations for that kind of belief basically boil down to

>fear of death
>childhood indoctrination
>various forms of wishful thinking
>the temptation to prefer a bad explanation to no explanation at all

OP here, yeah I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family and I fully agree, belief in an all PKG god is just an escape from real issues in our life, if we just accepted that we get 50-90 years of living we could make life so much more enjoyable

>The universe is just god thinking.

Then we can Epicurus this idea. Why call it God?

That's some OC shit yo. I'm not sure it's right, I'm not a physicist or a philosopher so believe it at your own risk. I think black holes have a similar property because of hawking radiation. If they can be shown to evaporate then they can destroy information which violates conservation of information. Leonard Susskind thinks that information gets spread out on the surface of a black hole like a hologram and that's what radiates away in hawking radiation; there is no singularity. All the information of a black hole exists on the surface of the event horizon. If that's the case than the same would be true for galaxies receding faster than the speed of light. They would fall behind event horizons and that light might be able to tunnel into our universe through quantum mechanics but instead of a singularity it's all around us. Who knows.

The majority of what I've learned about astrophysics and philosophy have come from watching Rick and Morty so my say is pretty minimal here

I think there's more to it than this though. I think humans innately have a need to believe in the supernatural. We are pattern finding organisms so parts of our brain are dedicated to finding and manipulating patterns. We innately have social behaviors (don't steal from other people even when there's no cost to you) and we label those compulsions God for lack of a better term. Since we've MRI'd people we can see that there are different parts of the brain responsible for different kinds of morality. Even though we are capable of calculating that we can do an immoral action and there would be no negative consequences that would violate a more primitive instinct to do no harm. We call this God but I think we're starting to discover that it's just part of being human.

That all falls under the "temptation to believe bad explanations" umbrella.

There is, smoke Dmt and you will meet It, but its not what you think it is

if they have history books they have a record of the galaxies receding. Nice attempt at sounding smart and deep.

like the bible?

I'm right here guys.

-God

No

Actually anytime you talk about "Consciousness" and "DMT" on /x/ it seems to result in a ban. If the thread gets good bumps

Sorry, forgot pic.

>will be expanding faster than the speef of light

Kek, yes it's getting faster, what tells you it's going to stay that way?

technically if there was a god he would be the one you heard about because technically god is everything so he's even the doubt and the non-existence of himself.

No you dumb fucking cunt, there is no god who will witness your death

We have a history book that claims that the Earth was spoken into existence in 6 days 6000 years ago. Radiometric age dating places the age of the Earth at 4.5 billion years. We discard the record in the history book because it doesn't match experimental evidence from observation.

NO U

For my money, I say no. I find no reasonable argument for the existence of god. I also don't find a reasonable argument against the existence of a god. It would be a bit like someone telling you gravity is mediated by elves pulling and pushing on mass. There is no evidence against it, but there is also no evidence for it. So, until proven otherwise, I stick with no. No god, no gravity elves.

This,God is a dumb word, but lets use it, "God" is everything, right down to the shit you take.

The truth is way crazier than you think, duality is bullshit. There is only ONE thing

Just wanna say that this is the most civil religion thread I've ever seen in Sup Forums.

I believe God is within us, not external. So that way, we are God. And we are destined to get off this planet And ascend so we can assist other species throughout the universe. If we don't get off this planet in a century, global warming will take its toll and we will go extinct.

well technically, technically, you're technically wrong because technically god is rarely defined as that which exists

i'm just being technical though

Yeh don't say that on /x/ you will cop the monthly ban

I think you've got some truth there user. Human beings fundamentally desire patterns and order. God was just a useful way of explaining all of the things we didn't understand.

WARNING! Carry on reading! Or you will die, even if you only looked at the word warning! Once there was a little girl called Clarissa, she was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital, because she killed her mom and her dad. She got so bad she went to kill all the staff in the hospital so the -government decided that best idea was to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her, as humane as possible but it went wrong the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agony for hours until she died. Now every week on the day of her death she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a monday night at 12:00a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death. Now post this in another thread, and she will haunt someone else who doesn't.

This isn't fake. apparently, if u copy and paste this to three threadsin the next ten minutes u will have the best ay of ur life tomorrow. u will either get kissed or asked out, if u break this chain u will see a little dead girl in your room tonight. in 53 mins someone will say i love you or I'm sorry

>galaxies will be expanding faster than the speed of light such that light emitted from one galaxy can never reach another.

That's not how light works. 2 objects can be moving apart from each other, yet the light they emit will still travel the speed of light, no more no less. It doesn't work the way you're thinking where light travels at the speed of light + or - the speed of the object emitting the light.

There is no God...never has been...never will be...use your brain you idiots

Its not God its consciousness, and like I saod up there its way more than you can comprehend, from a human perspective.

Its not some guy with a beard, IT IS EVERYTHING

There is a 900 foot tall invisible golem made up of 2 million kittens that lives on Mars and telepathically controls our lives with his magic litter box. Prove me wrong. That is no more or less ridiculous or insane than any current or past myths that man has believed in.

Humans are just "IT'S" way of knowing something outside itself.

It creates duality, in order to know something other than itself

rarely defined lmao fucking ass off, shit tons of texts, the most fucking published book on earth says it, they have a television channels dedicated to it.

Merriam - Webster

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

Yes there is I absolutely can confirm this he does exist you just got to pray and have some faith.
also read the bible on your own free time

probably because the guy just redefined the word into meaninglessness, but we still associate the word with some universal power which makes it seem like he's saying something meaningful
probably the only thing that's actually correct in the entire thread
relativity does not apply to cosmic expansion

it is true that eventually everything, even the galaxies, will be redshifted to such an extent that the light we see from them is no longer relevant, similar to a light source crossing the event horizon of a black hole just seems to stop in time
you are not saying anything
you said
>technically god is everything
none of the definitions you cited satisfy that definition. are you actually retarded? how does possessing "perfect power/wisdom/goodness" and being ruler/creator of the universe make you equivalent to everything in the universe?
oh well if you say so

god is the experience of your self dissolving into the larger "self" of the universe.

While I can say the theory of radiometric dating is kinda solid I have my doubts, mainly because the math is way too simple to be accurate. I can say that the earth is definitely not 6000 years old, but where exactly does it give you a date of existence in the bible also, its like throwing trash at trash this argument is i'll tell you.

>2 objects can be moving apart from each other
They're not moving relative to each other. The light still red shifts out of our ability to detect it.

>you are not saying anything

Well that's the thing about "IT" you can't define it.

I am trying to say, Humans cannot comprehend God.

you are referring to something that is undefined, by your own admittance. you are not saying anything.

>incorporeal divine
>ultimate reality
hurr durr i'm retarded, because I have different views on existence. I'm not gonna define every fucking word for you tard. I understand you probably don't speak English very well and probably have a two word vocabulary. I didn't write the stupid fuckin book nor did I come up with concept of god.

I don't know. We just don't have the instrumentation to make an educated judgement on it. Maybe when we get past the quantum stuff and into some even more abstract sciency bullshit, we'll be able to start studying this for real.

If there is one, I really hope it's not in the vein of the Abrahamic traditions, but I'd be ok with something more along the lines of the Greeks or something like the pantheists believe in.

>you are referring to something that is undefined, by your own admittance. you are not saying anything.

Nothing can actually be said about"IT", one can experience it, but it can't be translated into language and shared with other people.

I have years of experience with DMT, it is in fact a way to see ones true reality. And its not this one, this is a projection which seems to be projected from "IT"

Basically, you're a thought of God, you're playing with yourself, you and everyone

What a stupid fucking question.

I kind of want to meet the machine elves. Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but I want to see the machine elves.

Science tells us that Antartica has been frozen for 15 million years and that civilization has only been around for thousands, yet there are pyramids in the frozen wasteland. If anything, the belief in no God is flawed

This usually doesn't sit well with people, because it means the ego is a fabrication, which is why it doesn't sit well

By counting Jesus ancestors and assuming their age is around 30 unless stated otherwise, then by adding the years since Jesus, you get either 6,000 or 10,000. The reason for the change is because there are 2 completely different accounts of Jesus's ancestry.

Yeh I have seen what he's talking about hundreds of times, when I talk about it on /x/ I'm banned. Those things project this reality, we are those things

Oh that's just the Elder Things; they're not gods.

And you don't "meet" them you realize, you are them.

Life is much more bizarre, nothing you could imagine could even come close to what it is

What the fuck is this, /X? yall with your essays as posts again? tl;dr

Well it gets banned from /x/. But I didn't start this thread, I came to see some ass. But the topic follows me.around

i belive there is personally and i wont force that belief on anyone else, everyone has their own right to choose what to belive

yet again, neither of these terms establish god's existence in all that that exists

what you are describing is pantheism. this is a distinct theological ideology from Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, etc. in fact, it is a direct contradiction to the three major monotheistic religions

pantheism is a relatively rare definition of god
how can you experience something is that undefined? you can not possibly have a distinct experience with something that has no attributes, it simply doesn't make any sense

if you honestly believe that hyping your brain up on drugs that cause you to hallucinate enlightens you rather than making your brain experience things that aren't real (the definition of hallucination) then you're a retard and this convo is over my dude
it doesn't sit well with people because there is nothing that indicates that taking hallucinogenics does anything other than mess with physical aspects of your brain
what is the difference between taking a drug and imagining "you are them," and actually "being them?"

there is no distinction. you could not possibly know the difference. so why would you believe you are not imagining things when you know that our brain runs on a cocktail of chemicals that is bound to be altered by introducing external chemicals?

WITNESS ME!

>how can you experience something is that undefined? you can not possibly have a distinct experience with something that has no attributes, it simply doesn't make any sense

I could share trip reports, I have hundreds on the dmtnexus, I do my best to put it into words, I don't care what you think however, as Im sure you don't care what I think.

But as I said, until you experience it you won't know, that is until death. Then you will remember

Whatever you smoking share some. Religion threads are all over /X lol

>it doesn't sit well with people because there is nothing that indicates that taking hallucinogenics does anything other than mess with physical aspects of your brain

Ok, that's up for debate, and I'm not here for that like I said, I don't care what you and anyone else believes, because through my experience, I know.

My specific threads get deleted, 100% once I get down to non duality and consciousness, its been happening for 3 years.

But that's another topic.

See. They ban me for ban evasion, even after one year of absence from the board when my wife was pregnant

see, you are assuming i will experience that same thing that you experience

but we know that different people experience different things under the effects of hallucinogenic drugs

why would you assume that you are special and have experienced the "true" hallucination? how is someone who takes said hallucinogenic and experiences Jesus appearing before them telling them to kill all the Jews any more wrong than you are?
it's not though. if it did was it would make huge, world wide news and be published in every scientific journal

your experience is subjective. i'm not saying you didn't experience what you experienced. i'm saying there is no reason for you to believe that you have experienced anything more than a hallucination while under the effects of a known hallucinogen. you are believing what you want to believe because it makes you feel good, not because you have reason to believe it's true.

Once you hit what's real, the sweetspot, the delete the thread. They don't wan't people knowing the truth I guess, it would fuck their little scam they have going.

>ee, you are assuming i will experience that same thing that you experience
>but we know that different people experience different things under the effects of hallucinogenic drugs

Look into Dmt, 99% of the reports are the same, and the information is superseded, pleas do some research before saying things like that.
They DO NOT want people knowing this shit, believe me.

By "they" I mean the powers to be whoever is running game on the world, perhaps they know the truth as well. Possible, but you can't control people when everyone knows what they are.

Not with this current structure. People are to invested in the ego

>pulls statistic out of his ass
>describes the powers to be as "they" who suppress reality
>no evidence
>no reason to believe anything he says is actually true
>entire argument rests on the idea that having a subjective hallucination reveals anything about objective reality
yeah we're done my dude

>you have experienced anything more than a hallucination while under the effects of

Life is a hallucination, when people say "trip" it just means you have permission to not take this experience seriously. Its as real, I say more real than this.

Go try it. You will be awestruck

>yeah we're done my dude

Ok, enjoy nice talking with you

of course there's no god, there's not even really you.

self is an illusion. consciousness is an oversimplification of an unfortunate phenomenon.

I'll save you a huge waste of time reading (since your not big on words) theological papers and give you a hint;
>Abrahamic religions can be considered pantheistic.
Also don't you know Wikipedia is controlled by the jewish media matrix, its biased.

If you fear death, then there is a God. If you don't fear death, there is no God.

>Also don't you know Wikipedia is controlled by the jewish media matrix, its biased

So is Sup Forums modarators by the looks of it

a hallucination is something that does not exist outside of your mind. if you believe that i only exist inside your head then i'm not interested in having a discussion with you, you can go jerk off with the other solipsists

let's just be clear

>still haven't answered why you have reason to believe there's something more to your subjective hallucination and not someone elses different hallucination
>still haven't provided any reason to believe taking a hallucinogenic does anything other than alter your physical state of mind
i was basing my thoughts on C.S. Lewis, but it's fitting Wikipedia agrees with me as well ;)

>if you believe that i only exist inside your head then i'm not interested in having a discussion with you, you can go jerk off with the other solipsists

Even myself is an illusion, you will say but you're here, well tell me where exactly it is we are.

In the mind? Everything is contents of mind, for where else would it be?

if youre on b you obviously have no faith

Having faith in God is a lack of belief, for if there is God you don't need faith

Infinity, as a concept, is an absolute fact. It's one we can't wrap our minds around, but it exists.

What happens when you die? An infinite amount of time passes. We've never experienced this unless you count before you were born, but you didn't have a brain with which to experience it.

God is an infinite being. It's not that he has always existed, it's that he is existence itself. Infinity is the key to whether or not God exists. Because of course he does.

Heaven isn't us walking around for trillions of years, heaven is us becoming infinite. We've no ability to conceive of how this feels, but whether or not you're Christian, it's an undeniable fact that once you're dead, you experience an infinite amount of time.

Which therefore, proves that heaven is us becoming infinite. We have no fucking clue what that shit even is. And we can't try. We can just be grateful that we've been given the opportunity to experience time to mature and gather experiences, and I happen to show that thanks through worship of God.

This guy gets it

How the fuck did you take that from anything C.S. Lewis has every written, Jesus H. Christ do you work for Disney.
"Pantheists and Christians agree that God is present everywhere"
directly from the page you probably googled lmao

Man i wish i could smoke pot again for the first time

Fuck your wiki, if you keep looking outside for answers you will never get them, but like I said I'm not here to force my belief on you, I don't give a single fuck what you believe

niiiggggheeerrrsssss!!!!!!

I'm Catholic, my body is a temple, and therefore, I haven't smoked pot.

It's not against my religion, and I wouldn't rule it out, but I gotta treat this body with respect and not dull the mind.

god forgot about us

You forgot you were God

god is a metaphor for the universe. think about it. if he is the creator of all things then there is no other explanation.
Heaven was added to allow people to die peacefully, believing that there is more to it than just rotting away

hm. im a 25 year old former alcoholic with likely brain damage from drinking and drugging so hard. cheers, enjoy the gift of solid creative thinking with no drugs. stay straight and don't use anything.

Google DeepDream pretty much disproved DMT being the god particle

I don't plan on it. Light drinking, sure, but I plan on following the example of my parents. I've only witnessed my dad drunk twice, and my mom perhaps 5 or so times (because she's a lightweight). Both times my dad was drunk, he was responsible, stopped drinking, didn't drive, and just rode it out.

As much as I'd like to be a degenerate, it's a bad idea, and I'll be glad I wasn't in the long run.

Certainly there is a God.

The Hebrew People believed in him.
The Christians believe in him.
Islam believe in him. That is a huge percentage of the 7 Billion plus folks on Earth today.

Sadly though that is where the beliee ends.

After that numerous traditions and bad translations get in the way of true faith.

People interested more in profits then in prophets lie and do evil things in Gods name.

It is sad that most often when some one claims to believe it is best to avoid them rather than to listen to them.

I hope there is something, why have consciousness otherwise. It'll suck if death is just poof, lights out that which is you