2009 Champions League Final

What was Fergie's plan? Why did he suddenly switch to a 4-3-3 against Barcelona? He fucked up big time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0DfZgYMgHNA
youtube.com/watch?v=0eexZpo3CMY
google.com/amp/www.the42.ie/manchester-united-barcelona-classic-matches-2235835-Jul2015/?amp=1?client=safari
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rooney on LW was just pure insanity, he's no match for Puyol, Ronaldo's speed might've brought something good to Manure. I get Giggs playing on AMC because he wasn't suited for wing-game anymore, I just have no idea why didn't he do Ronaldo-Rooney swap. But anyway, Manure lost the game in the midfield, Anderson, Carrick and Giggs were completely outplayed by Iniesta, Busquets and Xavi, and Messi made clowns out of Vidić and Ferdinand handful of times.

>Anderson against the best midfield trio ever
Good god fergie was a madman

He did it for the lulz.

I reckon apart from Fergie's dementia induced starting 11, Ronaldo lost them that final more than anybody, with Van Der Sar a distant second.

Early on in the game United kept Barca on the back foot and had a couple of great break away chances, but Ronaldo kept shooting from 30 yards rather than passing to a wide player, stretching Barca's backline and keeping the ball in their third.

Seriously, one time Park was wide open 25 yards from goal but Ronnie decided to shoot from 30 yards instead. Time after time he kept losing the ball trying to score a wonder goal instead of keeping the pressure on Barca by moving the ball in their 3rd.

It's a pity they didn't have Hargreaves, him alongside Carrick with Scholes in there as well would have been something. Shoulda ditched Giggs for that game and played Ronaldo/Rooney together up front.

Apart from Fergie actually wanting to win all the time, he's too much like Wenger for my liking. In his later years he got really cheap and didn't replace his players with good enough people.

O Shea and Anderson in a Champions League Final? Cmon....look at united today, mostly Fergies fault. Left his successors an aging, used up team with no real star power.

>this team made it to a UCL final
Fucking kek

Reminder that 2 years later, O'Shea was replaced by Fabio and Ronaldo was replaced by Chicharito.

>Rooney on the left
>Giggs in the middle
>Park on the field

I think the plan was to have hard workers out wide and a 3 man shield in front of the defence. Not a bad idea but it's hard to get an attack going, especially with donkeys on your right flank.

>look at united today, mostly Fergies fault
those tears .. must be utd fan

Fergie was just waiting for UEFA to give it too him like they did the year before

Fergie was just trying to beat Barca the way a few teams have, Counter attacks.

Little did he know the best way tp beat em was just to sit in and defend, essentially Anti football, as shown by Primarliy Simeone and Others.

Simeone? It was Mourinho first.

Why did Juventus fail to beat them, Pogba?

True dat, Simeone perfected it tho.

Although Bayern humiliated them once in purely football terms, I think they were on there way down that season tho... Xavi was pretty poor that match.

>Juventus
>anti football

>you now remember that fergie walked the league with a cleverley - anderson midfield

>What was Fergie's plan?

CRASHING THIS TEAM
WITH NO SURVIVORS

Turkroach anti-Juve ref.

united actually outplayed barca in the first half but ronaldo was wasting good chances by taking longshots.

if i was a manure CB and messi scored with a header i'd literally hang myself after the game, theres no coming back from that.

They play defensive possession based football .
Context?

>Context?

It's 1-1, Juve is playing great, Uefalona is on the ropes, turkroach doesn't whistle a penalty for Juve and in the counter-attack they score.

>juve fan crying about refs
Oh the irony
Nevermind the fact that you're the faggot who unironically supports both real madrid and juve

>god bless Fergie
>became a legend by only beating English managers

youtube.com/watch?v=0DfZgYMgHNA

>tfw this video

not even a united fan but it hits me hard. he did good things for the english game. he built united into a team which was feared like a bayern or a real madrid. now the bpl has nothing. nobody is scared of english teams anymore.

He still didn't learn it as he essentially tried the same in 2011.

he addresses this in his biography

Both players used arms there. Poogba wents into alves hugging him to get in position while the cross went in, Alves then holds Pogba down as he was to turn to shoot. As a referee, you either tolerate it to both and let it go or whistle a foul for what happened chronologically first (foul on Alves).

youtube.com/watch?v=0eexZpo3CMY

>Fletcher suspension despite appeal
>Rio injured and still playing
>Wes Brown injured

Barcelona had just more team depth, ManU defended the game pretty well even getting some chances upfront

Ferguson NEVER knew how to play against strong spanish teams, real, invested, long time football fans know that. NEVER. His tactic against them was alway the all-out attack in the first 10 minutes trying to get a goal and then total defence.

His United team always had problems against LL team. Even Villarreal held them to 4 draws. Laughably unimaginative Barca 07/08 completely outplayed them in CL semis that season and was very unlucky to lose that tie. They struggled against Valencia and Deportivo, always having very hard battles against them, not only in the 2000-2004 period when those teams were good, Valencia outplayed Utd even in 2010 when they were shit.
And to top it off of course there are those legendary games against Real in 2000 and 2003. In 2000 Utd were big favourites and got outplayed like children. In 2003 Ferguson trash talked them like a complete idiot (thinking that he could get to Del Bosque like he did to Wenger lol) and in return Madrid played the best damn game I ever saw them play in that 3-1 win at the Bernabeu, which would've been historic humiliation if not for the ref (Frisk, the same one that retired after allegation that he supported Barca) not giving Real 2 clear penalties.

That 2009 final was just that. Desperate, all-out attack in the early minutes trying to catch Barca off guard and get a goal up. Once that failed Utd got exposed for being toothless, kick-and-run team, and english footbal as inferior to spanish culture (as we see even today). Once Barca scored they were helpless. Messi scoring a header against those barbarian centre-backs was a cherry on top.

Is this a new pasta?

>uefalona customers try to narrate the exact opposite of what is in the replay

welp, that's a clear pen

>le fluke 2 cls old man

fergie was never that good

google.com/amp/www.the42.ie/manchester-united-barcelona-classic-matches-2235835-Jul2015/?amp=1?client=safari

The plan was to drink untl the pains over but what's worse the pain, or the hangover?

What I find the most surprising is how Fergie did not seem to learn shit from this game, as only two years later he got fucking humiliated at Wembley.

Because Fletcher was suspended

United was shite against Spanish teams but Chelsea/Liverpool back then were both bretty gud desu

That doesn't look like 4-3-3 to me.

Mou's Chelsea and Rafa's Liverpool were the definition of anti-football. Relentless pressing, ultra-physical play style, terrorizing opponents, starting the trend to play with one striker instead of old-school striker partnerships, at least 9 guys between the ball and your goal. Those 2 guys almost single-handedly created modern ultra-physical, ultra-tactical football.

Will we ever have another elite british manager?

>anderson
>park
>oshea
top fucking kek was fergie a god or was competition complete shit 5 years ago?

Brendan Rodgers la

>Bayern humiliated them once in purely football terms
there was nothing new in that match. it was the same old "play hard an use counters and crosses well" tactic turned up to 11