OK faggots I'm thinking of getting one of these straight razors for cost and quality reasons...

OK faggots I'm thinking of getting one of these straight razors for cost and quality reasons. What's people's experience and what people's experience with them?

in my experience only barbers and edgelords buy straight razors

More blades and more technology = better shave

Its just hipster shit.

Too much of a pain in the ass. Safety razors are a nice middle ground between a straight razor and a modern razor.

I've got a couple. It was interesting for a while but to be honest its a pain in the arse when it needs sharpening. Eventually the fin goes off the edge and you've got to stone it using a fine as fuck Arkansas stone. It's not easy and the results aren't always the best.
Upside: If you need to get rid of like two weeks growth of beard the obviously can't clog like a safety razor so you can hack that shit off like a boss.
Swings and roundabouts user. Give it a go if you like but expect a bit of work as a result.

>for cost and quality reasons
a fucking straight razor costs more in upkeep keeping the blade sharp than a pack of multiblade razors once a month. as for quality the shave you get is garbage get on the dollar shave club if you're really worried about quality and cost

I been reading that a straight will shave better and closer. I'm more into the idea for the quality of a shave and also not being bent over for a load of cash for Gillette.

Not sure about hipsters but yeah I can see why it would attract them. But fuck them. I want it for me not to tell everyone how in trend I am.

Just get a safety razor.
Still cheap as hell, set up would be like 30 dollars but after that its maybe 5 dollars every 2-3 months on blades, soap will last all year.

you can shave better with a sharp pocket knife than with any razor from the store

Objectively wrong

it costs nothing to sharpen a blade though

You will bleed, it will be tedious, and eventually you'll switch back to regular razors or give up and grow a beard.

Modern razors are a ripoff, old razors mess up your face and slow down the morning, those are your choices.

This.
I bought a safety razor a few months ago, best shave I've had in a long time.

You can say that but it will never be true.

>
Hmm, not really in my experience. Modern safety razors are superbly sharp, better than I could ever get with a straight.
Like I said it's an interesting exercise in how-fucking-sharp-can-i-get-this but let's be honest, it's a tough old game competing with the military-industrial-disposable razor complex.

Recomend a brand?

Or just grow and maintain a fucking beard.

>watch a video of a guy trying out some fancy razor
>shaves worse than my 30$ electric shaver
Yeah, no thanks.

I'd say use a Bowie knife instead. While these have the benefit of being small and easily concealed, it's much harder to cut through bone with them if it comes to that. Best of luck.

Ha good point user! Gotta mull this over some more. I'm wondering if quality improve's with cost however?

I have one. Buy one with disposable blades first to see if you like it, they're pretty cheap that way. It takes longer, and patience but the shave is closer if you practice

That's what I was going to suggest. I switched to a safety razor because I heard it isn't as prone to giving ingrown hairs, which I had a lot of. I can definitely vouch for it. Also super cheap, a razor pack will last you a hot minute and they're only like $5 online I think.

>cost and quality
Get a fucking shavette you queer.

Not the other user, but Merkur is a big name. Safety razors are partly about the razor and partly about what blade you use. I use feather blades and a Merkur razor, but I started on Merkur blades and go back to them every once in a while.