Is this piece of paper worth it?

Is this piece of paper worth it?

Also, do you give more respect to someone if they have one compared to someone that doesn't?

I don't but every hr nigger since the beginning of time does

Depends on how much coke you're gonna snort with it

Don't undersell it. Saying you're paying for just a piece of paper is like calling money hunks of metal and sheets of fancy paper. What physical money represents is value be it in time, labor, or skill. Likewise, a diploma is valued to represent time, effort, skill, and education. I actually lost mine shortly after I got it (BS) but I know it's somewhere.

However, paying for college? Sure. What most people don't get is you pay for more than just the education. First, take full advantage of the education. Actually go to class, learn, take courses you wanna take. Don't get a shit major like SJW studies. Your degree is your verification to an employer that you have the knowledge/skill rather than providing evidence like via job history or certifications or something (depending on your field). You also pay a lot of money for maybe the school name, food, room and board, as well as amenities (if you go to PSU, you're paying for the athletic teams to buy new jerseys and shit).

I went to a small state school and got a STEM degree. I will give people some more respect but it's wholly dependent on their person. Half the people in school are fucktards and it's really easy to pass (depending on your field). If someone has an early childhood education degree, sorry. Art? Sorry. Social work? Sorry. They're all retarded degrees for the MOST part. If someone is HS dropout and got their GED and works at a fast-food joint and they're like 24, I don't respect them as much. Shows they have little to no motivation or applicable skills. Maybe they're a nice person, maybe they're great. But money is what we need and they either don't realize or don't care.

bump

bump123

shut up faggot

money is a store of value
some hunks of metal do. fiat currencies don't store value

I agree with everything you said from a societal viewpoint. However, I'm going to have to be real here.

What is a degree?

First of all, let's see a degree for what it really is. It's a piece of paper. A piece of paper that has some words on with a name of a person and a school. Now, you have to earn one by taking classes and passing those classes... but how do you get to take those classes? By spending money.

What is money?

Money is also paper that is used to trade for things that we want or need in our lives. Society invented money a long time ago... no idea who or what group of people invented it... but it was surely supplemented to a culture long ago, and has transformed into what we know as currency today. Without money, we can't survive...Or can we?

Why do we have to survive to live?

Because we need food and shelter in order to prolong our lives. But why? Why do we need food and shelter? Because we die without energy, and the weather can affect our breathing and conditioning. But why? Possibly because God made us that away, or maybe we evolved from bacteria tens of years ago. But why?

...Everything in life can be questioned, and that's because nobody knows the answers. A degree is made up. Money is made up. Respect is made up. We live in a world where everything that we do today was made up by mankind. People being born into this world have to deal with the way the system is run because of people who lived before us. Intelligent people understand this and question everything. What it really comes down to is "Why do we exist?"

Nobody knows...

Sorry for the rant, but I felt like spitting some truth tonight.

if you are a woman you are more likely to get raped than getting a stem degree. And since STEM is pretty much the only real reason to go into college yea i'd say shit is pretty fucked ...
go into college hoping to learn and get economic success. end up smoking weed and drinking alchohol and in debt

Depends, if it provides you a job that you enjoy going to every day and that provides enough to support yourself or your family then yeah it's worth it. If not then you probably wasted 4+ years of your life.

I have that dumb piece of paper saying that I graduated from a prestigious east-coast ivy league college. Does it make people look at me differently? Hell yes. Do I feel more important than the shlub that graduated from Brooklyn College? Nope. Will I get any job I apply for? Probably - unless there's competition from others that graduated from Ivies as well.

Was it worth the intense stress and four years of my life being miserable while I worked in laboratories until 4am and making it to lecture at 9am? No. No it was not. I wish I'd stayed at the small state college I was scouted from.

Unless it's a stem degree Its just a piece of paper.

lol nothing says neurological decay like sleep deprivation

It can make a difference of close to $2 Million over 40 years of work in today's market.

Sorry for some of the grammatical errors and typos in there, I didn't look back to edit after typing all of that

this is Sup Forums the bar is set at ledgiable not queens english type 4 grammar nazi mode final edition

Lay off the pipe there Plato.

It depends on what you want to do. Some jobs require a degree other will hire you over someone without a degree if you have one.

I personally hold 2 Masters Degrees. I opened a business right after graduation and never used them. But the time in college did train me for all the ass kissing I needed to do.

The plus side of going to college is I got a lot of pussy when in college!!!

Ha sorry about the rant.

woo. put yourself in stupid debt to go fuck sluts, you can do that for free

did they teach you to be so apologetic at ivy league?

holy shit do you expect me to read that

No. I didn't go to an Ivy League school. I believe I easily could have. But... I just never cared enough or had the motivation to do anything substantial with my life. Mainly because I have no idea what the fuck I want to do with my life at 26.

I have a masters in social work. It wasn't hard to get - but it's necessary to society, you dumb nigger. Keeping people out of hospitals and jail (which is what most social workers do) saves everyone (you included) tax dollars. Education degrees are similar and also necessary for a functioning society.

Art degrees? Probably a waste of money. You don't need a degree to be an artist.

It's a credential. If what you want to do doesn't need one, don't bother.

It is.It shows that you can apply yourself, and did, for the duration of 3 - 4 years anyway.
Do I give more respect to someone who has one?Not by default, but there are some fields that require you to actually put some effort into it, so that you get that degree.

Almost certainly yes.

Find a field of study that you find interesting. A practical / economic application is a huge plus, but don't let that rule your decisions.

I did EE. Hated the school, don't care much for the work, love the money. If I had it to do over again, I'd pick something like Marine Biology. Ain't many jobs for Marine Biologists, but you can always get a job testing water for the city or some such shit.

damn.. user has me thinkin about philosophy and shit

>Is this piece of paper worth it?
Not especially
>Also, do you give more respect to someone if they have one compared to someone that doesn't?
Depends... Is it in women's studies or art?

yeah and then what are you going to do at 60 years old with 2 mil ? your active years have passed, and you probably cant get it up let alone wheelchair bound.

Nah

Exactly.

not worth, graduated last dec and have been living at home ever since, working a wage cuck job

user, that piece of paper is simply something to FALL BACK ON. Don't let it limit you like how it is doing to millions others.

>Also, do you give more respect to someone if they have one compared to someone that doesn't?
Depends. Here I assume you mean a bachelor degree and not graduate.

If the degree is in chemistry, engineering, computer science, and other sciency fields then it may earn some respect.

On the other hand, degrees in general studies, race/gender studies, and other basket-weaving degrees earn less respect than a person with no degree. My reason is spending $100000 and wasting 3-5 years and ending up working at Starbucks or The Gap is not something to be proud of.

Of course if someone got said degree and then went onto grad school the degree has a point as a means to an end. I know many smart people that had garbage undergrad majors but went on to law school, med school, education, etc.

My uncle has like alot saved in his bank account, he suffered a stroke 4 months ago and is now paralyzed from the waist down and can't tell when he shits. He cant even spend the money he worked so hard to save.

Your statement right here is adding more to the reason why I ponder working so hard in life.

everything you say is fucken obvious fucktard

Yeah, I already know that. But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Meh. I have one, but the job I have now has nothing to do with it. College was a cool experience, but it cost me a shit ton of money. If I could go back in time, I would choose not to go and focus on something I could do to benefit people in the real world.

It's probably the only thing I do respect.

Screw that. I don't respect people any more or any less whether they have a degree or not. Even though we're all different in our own unique way, we're all human and we're all the same.

agree... is a doctor who makes over 100000 a year a better person than a mcdonalds worker who makes 8 dollars an hour? no. all that means is the doctor makes more money and thats it. the mickey ds guy could be a really nice person and the doctor could be an asshole

Yeah but in that particular example a doctor is probably providing more to society. Not saying everyone with a degree is but just don't think your example was very profound

STEM student here.

Are you good at math? I'm pretty rubbish at math but I'm planning to retake/advance next semester. Transferring back to my home towns community college for a break year though.'

Also, How is the job market? Do you really use math every day? What STEM degree specifically?

Just looking for more viewpoints on my future.

Hungry?

Hungry for...

APPLES?????

what makes providing to society "better?" i can understand fixing problems and saving lives is great, but what about that makes someone a better person than the rest? its just his duty, just like the other guy's duty is to flip burgers for people to eat

I know in regards to engineering. The whole point is to improve the technology in respect to whatever your craft is. Electrical engineers design circuits, chem eng make more efficient/refine materials, aerospace eng make more efficient planes, mechanical engineers make/design more efficient machinery. Most people take blue collar folk for granted but I can always give more respect to those who do stem than someone who has a degree in psychology.