post obscure composers
youtube.com/watch?v=KEMHWex4xGU

youtube.com/watch?v=XnfLmstqHQA&t=939s

>not posting the links

shit thread desu
/classical/
Bachtards fuck it up edition
>inb4 how do I into classical
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=e6fIdNOe_YA

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=S6Bd3DpYwsU

Favorite Mozart piano concertos?

Favorite Beethoven piano concertos?

Who wrote them better?

Favorite string quartet by any composer?

Currently listening to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=RDitJ0WLhDY

>Favorite Mozart piano concertos?
>Favorite Beethoven piano concertos?
>Who wrote them better?
Beethoven
>Favorite string quartet by any composer?
Beethoven Op. 131

>i listen to classical music

>tfw Ravel wrote only 9 hours of music
>tfw there's not even a single second that is not excellent

Ravel, you fucking danzy lazy piece of shit. How could have you possibly written so little music with a brain like yours? You should have devoted every single second of your life to composition: given your genius, it is only fair to say that humanity was entitled to it.

not everyone does it out of differentitis.

Some pieces really speak to the soul. Granted, a lot of fuckers out there are listening to it because they think they automatically qualify for patrician status, but don't stay far from classical for the opposite reasons that attracts douches to it, ie i (don't)want to be different

maybe he prioritized quality over quantity. Isn't it better that he produced no bad music ?

No, because now we're stuck with only 9 hours of it.

is the coffee cantata the worst thing of all time?

youtube.com/watch?v=myP_E64urJA

>tfw Ravel wrote only 9 hours of music

LOLWUT,jpg. 16 hours is the correct figure. You should be happy, faggot -- I've just almost doubled the Ravel catalog for you.

Is this classical?

No? Why would it? It's just a well composed operette... very subtle even as far as opera goes.

its degenerate minimalist hollywood filth

Yes. Modern classical.

>>Who wrote them better?
>Beethoven
Agreed. My favorite is 1. Favorite string quartet would have to be Op. 132 in A Minor. This piece is what inspired T. S. Eliot to write Four Quartets.
>Some credit this quartet as T. S. Eliot's impetus to write the Four Quartets; certainly he was recorded in a letter to Stephen Spender as having a copy of the A minor quartet on the gramophone: 'I find it quite inexhaustible to study. There is a sort of heavenly or at least more than human gaiety about some of his later things which one imagines might come to oneself as the fruit of reconciliation and relief after immense suffering; I should like to get something of that into verse before I die.'[5]
>Aldous Huxley in his novel Point Counter Point makes extended reference and description of this quartet in the late chapter concerning the death/suicide of the character Maurice Spandrell.
youtube.com/watch?v=zyDs0wb3FAE

Is /classical/ dead, or does it just smell funny? I sincerely wish our threads would generate half the attention that goes to Kanye West, Grimes, or Radiohead.
youtube.com/watch?v=gSUUI3_W4eQ

>Kanye West, Grimes, or Radiohead
Plebs gonna pleb, user.

>I sincerely wish our threads would generate half the attention that goes to Kanye West, Grimes, or Radiohead.

Why? I certainly don't want normalfags here. And it's always been like this. For years.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1WSJWpVvig

Sup

leave mozart to me

Can someone identify this song?
I can't get it out. It's on the tip of my tongue.
my.mixtape.moe/szrohk.wav

HELP, WHAT IS THE BEST RECORDING OF MOZART'S K.563 STRING TRIO?!

I've heard the Grumiaux version 1000 times and want to know if there's something better. please

I don't know about "better" but I certainly enjoy the Heifetz/Primrose/Feuermann version greatly.

There's also a very nice period version played by the Trio Ricercar.

youtube.com/watch?v=baCCIzEQX5U
this should be good

you're a fucking loser if you listen to any "classical" other than modern classical

uploaded some stuff to 2nd folder

epin

How do I get started listening to classical? What's the "canon" of classical music?

What do you like?

What little I know of Beethoven and Vivaldi. But who should I check out to get the idea of who the big shots are?

listen to mozzart (underrated)

These are among the most popular

Renaissance
Josquin, Palestrina, Monteverdi

Baroque
Bach, Vivaldi, Handel

Classical
Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn

Romantic
Mendelssohn, Brahms, Chopin

Modern
Mahler, Debussy, Stravinsky

also:
what does /classical/ think of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=lxA4TxeMo18

I write poems sometimes. They aren't spectacular masterworks, but they're good-ish.

Thing is, if I try to force it, it doesn't work. If I try to think about "how to write a poem," I come up with trite garbage (more garbage than usual).

But I can't wait for it to just "come to me," either. A moment will strike me, I enter a strange mood, and it is with a combination of experience, skill, and that untouchable "stroke of genius" that I can get something that begins to approach artistry.

If I devoted every hour of my life to writing (and I imagine Ravel did as much with composition), I would still not be able to force it out. Ravel's works are wonderful and possess a real depth to them, but that does not come from shitting out as much paper as possible.

>grouping salieri among those talentless hacks
baka

Recommend some Ravel for a pleb like me please.

Similar to Vivaldi: Telemann, Bach (and his son, C.P.E, has some similar-but-Romanticized stuff), Handel. They are all pretty unique in their style, though.

Telemann:

youtube.com/watch?v=M1Us-8qkYE4 (I like the fast movements in this one, they are deep without being deep)

Bach's son, CPE Bach:

youtube.com/watch?v=P2juH3S1Yzc (start at 14:00 for the fun part)

Handel:

youtube.com/watch?v=eqksy-991sI (the whole damn thing, but especially #1)

go back to the grave salieri

>Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven
>talentless hacks
wut.wav

CPE is so underrated.

youtube.com/watch?v=7i4KVoJbAvQ

youtube.com/watch?v=Wkt8T38aaMw

gracias guey

np
yeah he's got the beauty and experimentation of the romantics with the layering of the baroque

thanks for the rec btw

guys, sorry if you've seen this post before, but I have not gotten a response.

Still looking for anything even vaguely similar sounding to Andreas Scholl's performance of Purcell's Cold Song. This makes me go crazy inside. Please give me some similar recs.
youtube.com/watch?v=ospt12EfW-w
can be other countertenors, male or female, doesn't matter what period. thank you.

Also, anything similar to this:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=108&v=LxcMZl6YwNs

or this:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Z7CNQ7jTNJ4

much appreciated

bump 4 qt composers

youtube.com/watch?v=WzuJSeuPxx8

how many hours of music do you guys listen to weekly?

Perfect! Thank you

Too much. To the point where I honestly likely have a problem.

>Mahler, Debussy, Stravinsky

You forgot Tchaikovsky. The ballets in particular are masterpieces.

mozart is perhaps one of the worst muscians i've ever heard, i would strongly discourage you from listening to him

mahler is a romantic composer.

Recommend me a good classical piano song to play.

chopin prelude no 15

at least 8 to 10 hours daily. i thought everyone was like this.

the same way schubert would be a classical composer

yet they both fit in the middle between eras

God Fantasia on Greensleeves is such a beautiful composition.

>Favorite Beethoven piano concertos?
sorry Mozart, but Piano Concerto No. 5 in E major, Op. 73 is the greatest concerto of all time

A good chunk of of his repertoire is re-orchestrated piano music. It's 9 hours.

You're not a professional, and most likely you haven't studied poetry as much as Ravel studied music.
As Beethoven said: "Nulla dies sine linea".

>start playing piano 2 months ago

>be me yesterday
>dad throws a piece of paper in the garbage from a 15mt distance
>high five him with too much strenght
>tfw I've injured my hand for at the very least 3 months

For fuck's sake.

What are some essential Bartok pieces to listen to, besides the six string quartets?

More Ravel too plz

youtube.com/watch?v=VP7RnuCmM00

It's pretty, but also pretty boring. VW wrote better stuff.

5 (but have a soft spot for 3)
Mozart
Janacek 1, Schoenberg 2, Haydn Fifths

>implying it's not worth listening to orchestrated piano music to see how Ravel orchestrates and the orchestral colours he favours

jesus christ buddy i'm truly sorry to hear that but you gotta get sum muscle mayne

Good luck playing Liszt

but Liszt wrote plenty of easy music that late piano starters can play :)

Thoughts on Brahms string quartets? I find them fascinating and strangely overlooked.

Of course it's worth listening to, everything by Ravel is, but it is essentially still the same music. I'm not doubting the quality of his music, rather I'm regretting the fact that there isn't more of it.

You could listen to all of it in half a day.
Anyway,
piano music: valse nobles er sentimentales; tombeau de couperin; gaspard de la nuite
orchestral: la valse; daphnis and chloe (this being his longest piece); piano concerto in g major
chamber: piano trio; string quartet; sonata for piano and cello

His Piano Concerto in G major and Tombeau de Couperin are his most accessible pieces, and for the most part they still sound as fresh as they sounded 100 years ago. Also keep in mind that everything by Ravel is worth listening, even his shortest minuets are top notch. Personally my favourite short piece of his is Minuet sur le nom d'Haydn.

Not him, but it's not a bad idea to avoid practicing Liszt after all. I remember Charles Rosen saying that it has been discovered that the practice of fast octaves in fortissimo is the reason for which so many late19th century-early 20th century lost the use of their fourth and fifth fingers.
In the same book (I think it's "Piano Notes") he also talked about how Chopin would get explicitly angry at pianists who subjected themselves to such a practice.

As a violinist I must protest at the absence of his Tzigane and violin sonata there.

I just mentioned some of the most accessible and sensationalistic works, not necessarily the best ones (although there are some personal favourites in there).

I really like them too, shame they seem to be regarded as lesser works. They do seem to stand out as different from his other works, more free, less solid, perhaps people see them as lightweight.

>Perlemuter could play superbly the Scarbo in his 90s
youtube.com/watch?v=UjfJ8H0guO4

How common is that? I thought that your memory went to the drainer after your 'p70s: how could he possibly remember such a complex piece in his 90s is beyond me.

Often it is short term memory, old people forget what they need to do but go on and on about their youth which they recall well. He's probably played that so much that it is a fundamental part of his memory, he'd forget how to tie shoes before forgetting that.

Hi /classical/, I was hoping you could help me out.

I've recently taken a liking to Romantic art, literature, etc. but my knowledge of Romanticism as a musical current is seriously lacking. Obv I'm familiar with some of Chopin's work, but I'd like to expand my taste in that.

Can /classical/ rec me some composers? From lurking a lil, I have

>Mendelssohn, Brahms, Chopin, Mahler

on my list.

Also general tips for appreciating? I have a self-taught understanding of music theory but classical seems to require much more cerebral listening than anything else

Hello

Listen to Schumann, we already know you'll love it, you damn pleb.
Start with the 3 piano sonatas.

hi

thank you user. I do love this

Thoughts on Beethoven's Serioso?

It sounds the closest thing to Beethoven just sitting down and writing furiously until he finished.

Concerto for orchestra, Bluebeard's castle, Mikrokosmos, Dances in a Bulgarian rhythm, The Miraculous Mandarin, piano concerti, sonata for solo violin

Bach Prelude No. 18 in G# minor from WTC II

Tchaikovsky, Brahms

Brahms

youtube.com/watch?v=f6_HO5TKImU

Listen to Fantasia on A Theme by Thomas Tallis (also by VW)

Don't have a favorite.
Mozart
Weill's 1st

Debussy's Afternoon of a Faun >most of Tchaikovsky's ballets

bump with /our guy/

He's properly rated. CPE has few distinguishing characteristics from other post-Baroque aesthetic. His form and harmonic development is all typical of Baroque music for its time and the only thing I can think of that is genuinely interesting about CPE is his use of distinct rhythms which was certainly an oddity for its time.

>Also keep in mind that everything by Ravel is worth listening

This but avoid the late chamber works

>CPEposting

What is 2012 /classical/?

Post Strauss