What happens to our consciousness when we die? Is there any sort of scientific consensus or plausible theories?

What happens to our consciousness when we die? Is there any sort of scientific consensus or plausible theories?

>In b4 "You go to heaven/hell/insert desired afterlife here"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliminative_materialism
youtube.com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It dies

Loaded question.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliminative_materialism

It is within the realm of possibility that our brain only acts as a reciever of consiousness, much like a signal to a television. This would mean that when the brain is destroyed, our consiousness may continue to exist. But truthfully, no one can really know.

It's game over , that's it.

Your life cease to exist. That's it. There is nothing else after this. Nothing will remain of your consciosness once your brain is dead.

Explain this like we're 5.

Sounds reasonable. But where does our consciousness go?

As a dota 2 player i can tell you that:
> your body decomposes
> your consciousness goes into "respawn wait mode"
> you wait 10 - 100 seconds
> your body respawns
> your consciousness goes back into the newly respawned body

So here's my theory

When you talk to someone, be it in person or over the internet, what you're really doing is transferring information between one brain and another, meaning a person isn't really a body or a brain, it's the information flow between the 2. What I think happens when we die is that information dissipates, so whatever is our consciousness returns to the environment, in effect we return to the earth. As with everything like this, it's really impossible to tell because well, once you die... you're dead, fucktard.

Sounds legit

Consciousness doesn't exist.

If it doesn't explain this

Baseless claim.

Consciousness is just a complicated set of electrical and chemical reactions and surges in the brain. Once the brain ceases to function, that's it. Oblivion. You don't go to some Heaven or Hell. You don't float around like some ghost. You're just dead.

Kill youreslf, and you will see.

Well that's just depressing...

I already know for certain that it doesn't exist, what am I going to see.

You die. It's over.

Glorifying the process and making it upbeat and inspirational is only for fools that have a hard time accepting reality

Just try it. It won't hurt you.

That's just life, so you better take the best of it or die worthless. No second chances, no afterlife. It's this, right here and right now.

And that's why people won't accept it. That's why they cling to religion and spirituality or try to make up loopholes. The brain is just a complicated organ, and like any organ, it ceases to function at some point and decomposes.

This should be used for a motivation poster.

Depends on your mindset.

What about computers? Do you think there's any logic in saying a computer could be conscious? What about animals, is a dog conscious? A fly? Microbes? Where do you draw the line between conscious and unconscious?

"Consciousness" is nothing mire than electrical impulses coursing through your brain.
When you die, the signals stop. And you cease to be "conscious".

>mire
More. That's what I get for trying to explain science after just waking up. I forget to spellcheck.

Computers aren't biological. I don't think we're saying that animals don't have a conscious, but clearly their self awareness is much different from a human's.

Theoretically brain could be emulated on computer. In fact there's already a mouse brain model running on the Blue Gene supercomputer at 1/10th speed, dunno where did they go with that.

think of it as if it was your computer, once your power supply dies your cpu doesn't get new energy, thus the small amount of energy you have gets wasted and then cpu dies

same goes for your brain
your conciousness is basicly a stream of electric impulses, you cut down stuff that is needed for neurons to live and neurons will waste their sodium/potassium alongside neurotransmitters, the impulses dissipate throughout the neurons until they are stopped completely

that is death of conciosness, it ceases to exist afterwards

conciousness is also a direct product of neuron arrangement, you arrange them differently or some just stop working and your consciousness changes along with them

Tl; dr:
>your brain a cpu
>no more power
>conciousnes ends
>neurons damijed
>conciousness changed

Perfect for ensuring really slow cheese consumption. Duh.

>Is there any sort of scientific consensus or plausible theories?
>when we die
>scientific consensus
wtf? OP are you actually dumb?

Just like it didnt exist b4 u were born it will slowly fade away as you die.

I reincarnation possible?

>i get my philosophical beliefs from has-been comedians
tip top wew

The level of consciousness depends upon the complexity of the brain. A dog is conscious, but as far as we know, they aren't able to sit and dwell upon death like humans. They instinctively strive not to die, but they don't sit and think about whether they'll run around in Doggo Heaven once they go. Microbes don't have brains.

bump

this is getting interesting

the thread is way past dead

I mean IMO there's a spectrum of consciousness, and it's complex and varied. I don't think that it all ends when we die, I think the part of our consciousness that is "user" dissipates and becomes a part of everything else

You mean like the Human Instrumentality Project?

Everything, baby.

what was your consciousness before you were born? oh. you don't remember? it was non existent? oh. well thats your "afterlife" buckle up buddy :)

Who the fuck cares.. just another 50-100 years and we'll be immortal. Just make sure you don t die before that. Some speculate it could be even done in 2045.

When i was 19 after leaving college, I got chronic depression for no reason. I turned to religion and it did not take me long to realise it was all man made, to control the masses and give people comfort.

I would describe myself as agnostic / deist as nature is so complex. It does actually seem to be intelligently designed, just not for life itself.

When I hear testimonies about ghost and dreams, despite not proving a god it does bring the possibility of a spirit world. But again, this is always anecdotal accounts. Science shows that when brain chemistry can change and we can hallucanite these things perhaps when we are grieving.

I like to believe that the purpose of life is to give existence a meaning itself. Perhaps in another realm we live forever, But image what that would feel like. Without fear, there is no appreciation and without sadness you can see that you're happy. Some suffer, so others can appreciate existence and it continues. That is just a philosophy.

But either way, consciousness as you already know is present in all life forms, in the brain and without it, you and your memories will cease to be. You are most likely just going to just go for a long sleep, because that is essentially all being dead is. Billions of years times nfinite energy according to the 1st law of thermodynamics, will give you a good possibility of being alive again. But I suspect that you will be on a different planet.

Sorry OP, the rollercoaster has to stop.

This has to be the best answer of them all. Thank you.

It disappears, much like how a Monet picture ceases to be a Monet picture after it has burnt. Once the electrical signals in your brain stops, you cease to be sentient. It isn't rocket science, it's neuroscience.

The source of the consciousness is the brain, or rather, the electrochemical reactions/signals it produces.

As for what happens to your consciousness after death, it fizzles out and ceases to exist as your brain ceases to have access to oxygen due to your respiratory and circulatory systems shutting down. Moreover, your body rots away, brain and all, so that's very, VERY dead indeed.

Check 'em

god has a plan :)

Then what the fuck are the electrochemical reactions/signals in my brain?

Immortality sucks, nigger.
Once you get old enough, you become perpetually senile.

becomes one with the internet

Best afterlife.

consciousness neither is created nor destroyed. so it cannot die.

Then how come we don't remember anything before we're born?

Don't waste your time with this thought it will lead to nothing all you can do is focus on things you can actually control in our present state. But most of all don't judge anyone else for their view on this subject.

again consciousness neither is created nor destroyed. but you want to pretend like it started at some point so you can try and remember what it was like before it started? ur misunderstanding the nature of consciousness

If everything from the past state of your consciousness is entirely wiped after that state "dies," then how can you say that it is eternal?

Energy can be neither created or destroyed

you legit just die OP

you arent talking about consciousness then you are talking about memory. memory is stored in the brain so yes it dies when the brain does. you consciousness is present always and forever. consciousness is to memory what a screen is to a movie. youre watching a movie and there are a lot of pictures that move across that screen but there is always only one screen only with consciousness its just infinite empty space. but that empty space possesses and intelligence. thats probably why you keep confusing it with memory.

If you are a true believer, you are reborn as one of Andy Sixx's many lucky logs, beautiful, bouncing, baby mudchildren, destined to make a glorious journey, slidding down one of his lucky worshipper's throat.

If you are a non-believing, logless shill, you are reborn as a nigger, with cancer of the aids and terminal autism.

>It's not too late to become a log/b/ro...

Well you can't experience nothing, so given an infinite amount of time non-experience it is possible you would experience something similar to what you experience now at some point.

We wake up as if it was a dream

"i had a dream i died lastnigh"
"i had a dream i was in the army and got shot lastnight"
"i had a dream i fell of a high building"

We have died millions of times only to wake again and continue reproducing and going to work

we live in a simulation

this isnt as stupid as I think you thought it was going to be lol

Go away cancer

What the fuck is consciousness, faggot? Is it just the empty vacuum of space? DEFINE YOUR TERMINOLOGY!

thread is kill.
Reply to this post or your mom will die in her sleep.
/thread.

THE ONLY LOGICAL EXPLANATION.

/thread

It's simple actually, energy can't be destroyed. Energy is what we are created from. When we die, that energy will still exist. The rest is up to you to figure out.

well the first thing to understanding consciousness is being in a receptive state. you cant take off a Chinese finger trap by angrily pulling at it you have to relax and it will fall away on its own. one cannot describe consciousness in plain talk so thats why metaphors and things are often used. like i said consciousness is the screen on which the movie of life takes place. in order for matter to exist it needs space to inhabit. consciousness is the space that all of the universe inhabits. but to say it is just empty space wouldn't be giving it enough credit, there is intelligence in the space. its like its electrically charged. its the source of creation. its the very fact we can have this conversation. you are it so you dont have to worry about possessing it or losing it. you are it and are always it. sometimes though you forget and imagine you are the pictures on the screen. im not trying to undermine your definition of consciousness i promise, you are it so what i say doesnt affect that fact

I feel like I'm watching the last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion...

nothing.

you die.

you cease to exist.

that's it.

now shut the fuck up.

ur answers are here

youtube.com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4

Good post, it's like how the entire universe is made of math. I also find it interesting how consciousness collapses the wave function in the double slit experiment. It's as the universe doesn't exist without an observer but yet the observer was created by the universe. Self aware universe trying to understand itself.

Do you have any memories from when you were dead before? By that I mean you didn't exist before you were born. You have no recollection of anything before you were born.