/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

Saluton lingvuloj
jan toki o, toki

bump

What's the hardest part about the language you're learning?

its all fucking consonants

remembering the gender of each noun.

Just in the written language or in the spoken one too? also what language

Conjugation and speech.

Spanish verbs will be the end of me
just how many endings can one word have?

what's the language bros? guessing is German but otherwise got no clue

I'm learning French and have a pretty good grasp on it. I've even posted in /fr/ and /mena/ in French

exactly.

Why do nouns need gender anyways? One of the most useless parts of Euro languages.

to organize them into declension classes
a noun that ends with -ur (masculine) won't decline the same way as a noun that ends in -a (feminine)

also it can resolve ambiguity when referring to multiple objects using pronouns or adjectives and it adds redundancy which helps parsing sentences (or so one theory goes)

I've never really had such a problem with it not being there in English though.

no English has no cases anymore so obviously there are no declension classes either

the other things aren't needed features but are nice extras

there are many redundant features in English as well, the indefinite article 'a/an' could easily be removed, English (and other Germanic languages) have a large amount of tenses where most languages do just fine with a lot fewer, having object forms of a few select pronouns is not needed at all, many languages see no need for plural forms, do-support serves no real purpose, etc. etc. etc.
ultimately languages aren't designed or perfectly logical but native speakers find everything in their language completely natural and any other way either lacking in nuance or needlessly complex or some other feeling of it being off

I suppose you're right. Hearing people say something like "a ant" just feels unnatural and that's why the status quo is maintained.

actually I meant just having an indefinite article at all
it didn't exist in Old English, it didn't exist in Latin, it doesn't exist in Icelandic, and so on
never missed it in Icelandic desu

We call that caveman talk over here. A lot of foreigners do it.

Portuguese

The relatively limited resources. Relatively few people speak Yiddish anymore, and many of the living speakers are either old people or batshit insane Hasidim.

Why learn such a useless language? I get some people like to learn stuff like Latin or Ancient Greek to read old texts but Yiddish?

I just know them by heart, because I was terrible at studying them

In my case, being fluent in english is my current challenge. I'm rather fluent, but it depends on the day, the topic, and how much vocabulary and expressions I recall at a given moment.

On the other hand, sounding spontaneous and remembering social gambits is terrible. Unless you don't mind sounding like Sheldon Cooper providing information to an existing conversation.

usefulness is relative. If they're learning it, they must have some use for it.

Partially heritage, and partially because I like dead, obscure, or moribund cultures and languages. I also think that every organic language has a unique associated outlook and way of viewing the world. Yiddish's character is particularly colorful.

hahahahah

t. learning Finnish

Oh, i've been waiting for such thread. I'm learning german and now i lack of speaking practice. Is here any german natives, learning russian? We could help to each other.

Russian - Cases.

you could install HelloTalk

>mfw you lose your +100 day streak in Duolingo

Please don't tell me you're like those retards on their forum who care more about some stupid number that what you've actually learnt

I will, thanks.

>Niggers can speak spanish.
>Winterniggers no.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WHITE POWER SENIOOOOOOREEES

Does anyone else have an irrational hatred of the Langfocus guy?

Making myself learn. Discipline in learning has always been hard for me. Deadline: spring next year when trip to Iran is

>stupid number
It was my motivation to keep on learning, and it gave me an insane amount of lingots

this

I'm on exchange to Lyon in just over a year, and although the courses I'm doing are all going to be in English I'd like to learn a bit of French before I go over there.
Realistically, if I were to do 30-45 minutes of French each day how far would I get by the time I'd leave?

I'm doing some hobby studies in linguistics, while also refresh my french. I'm also reading a book about Nuxalk.

>xłp̓χʷłtłpłłskʷc̓ (xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ) - he had had in his possession a bunchberry plant

How the fuck are you supposed to pronounce that?

Do you learn French?

tones

O-oui

Pronunciation and remembering gender along with conjugations.
Is there anything that could help me pronounce french better?

>Is there anything that could help me pronounce french better?

shove a breadstick up your arse

english still retains a minimal amount of cases: nominative, accusative and genitive

I'm learning a language and recently have gotten to a point where I have developed a vocabulary for it, and it feels like now I can speak two languages now.

What's weird is looking at english now and being conscious of how I speak and write it.

You need to study with headphones on. Listen to recordings of words you are studying and repeat those words. For your Rs, put a pencil between your teeth, as far back there as it goes, and make sure it's over the back part of your tongue, then say a word with an r and you will have a good r.

Can I travel in Morocco just by using French and English?

Yes, in the north they speak Spanish but you they will understand basic French, also in the big cities everybody speaks French ; in the towns less people speaks French but it might be OK I guess

This poor steppenigger also has issues with Spanish.

Chinks aren't meant to learn Indo-Euro languages

I'm here

Are you sure you aren't a Greek?

Depends, but don't worry it's an easy language to learn for an English speaker and you'll learn it in no time when you'll be in the country.
Don't stay in the south, go visit other places, Brittany, Normandy, Alsace, Aquitaine.. France is a very diverse country, I'm always baffled when i go down south (under the Loire river) as the language is the only thing I've got in common with the people ( and they don't even speak it properly).

bump

toki!

It's not indoeuropean

给我一杯茶吧

>did not study for 1.5 days
kill me

>when a person speaking a tonal language speaks English

Tonal languages are terrifying.

I can't even imagine having to speak one at a fast, conversational tempo.

triggered

It's true desu, it makes sense in Slavic languages but in German, for example, it's all messed up.

How so?
Inb4 Mädchen

Vodka

I mean, der Wodka.

the accusative and dative merged into the English object case but only for a handful of pronouns
the English genitive is not a true case as it's distinguished by a clitic and not a case ending

Genders in German correspond to declension patterns, Wodka is der Wodka because it declines as a typical masculine noun would

I know, it was a joke. Just sounds weird for the slavic ear. Our vodka is a female noun.

I don't know, it's all weird to me. I guess Mädchen would be an example, it just doesn't have the same logic as in Slovene.

hebrew

I speak spanish , italian , swedish and english. I'm stuying dutch and russian. I know some hebrew and french (used to study it like years ago , still remember a lil ) and i'm planning to study aymara , romanian and czech one day.

However if someone wants to practice/talk with me i'd be glad.
I'd prefer to talk to someone in dutch or russian.

My kik is Jocel_ne if someone is intressted

the ipa is right there it looks like.

added ;)

Iceland-user here knows more about the English language than most native English speakers

Spanish: when to use subjunctive (most uses I understand, but some I still am not clear)

German: pronouncing the 'R' correct.
I'm more used to the Spanish rolled 'R'

True. There are many but they follow patterns that are predictable. I guess it depends on your (in general) native language

>Iceland-user here knows more about the English language than most native English speakers
i'd reckon that's because most people aren't into historical linguistics

i'm learning spanish since my family moved to cuba(hate it here, btw), and it's an easy language.
hardest part: verb forms, there's like 30 ways to conjugate each verb
easiest part: spelling and pretty much anything else
cuban accent is also unintelligeble and sounds liek jiberrish

Using a proxy?

I have about 3 months to learn japanese or I might lose my job.
I can dedicate almost 100% of my time to this endeavor.
Can I pull it off?

Probably. I've heard of people studying a language multiple hours a day for a few months.

possible but Japanese is a very difficult language for most people so it's not going to be easy

Of course, but you have to start right now.

What's irrational is his fucking stupid teeth

bump

Genders like everyone else. The fucking alphabet too.

>tfw mild speech impediment (can't roll my Rs)
>Not a problem in English
>But every other language uses it so I can't pronounce shit properly

Final bump before ww3

Anyone has experience with Thai?

I've been trying to learn French for 4 years now
Still on B1
I feel so incompetent
Anything tips? I try to watch TV cinq at least once a week

>at least once a week
that's not a lot. exposure is key. just find films you like, or programs that you'd like to follow, and watch something every day.

Japanese. My main practice is browsing 2channel and matome sites with rikaichan.

The established number of hours of study needed for reaching the next level grows exponentially.
A1 60h total
A2 180h total
B1 260h total
B2 500h total

Ofc that's thats just the theory, you might need less hours; however all the courses and methods are created. So don't think in years but think in hours and if you really were giving your 100%
Think that if you study only 45min every day, in a year you should be almost B2.
And as my Dutch friend said, exposure is the key,that will make you progress much faster.