Let's say a 1080p rip was only 1-2gb's and a 720p rip was 6-8 gb's .. Would the 720p rip look better?

Let's say a 1080p rip was only 1-2gb's and a 720p rip was 6-8 gb's .. Would the 720p rip look better?

Is it worth downloading bigger 720 rips as apposed to a smaller 1080p rip?

>Is it worth downloading bigger 720 rips as apposed to a smaller 1080p rip?
usually, yes

codec, bitrate, resolution, in order of importance.

I'd say download the bigger file. It'll have a better picture quality even if it's a lower res.

If the 1080p rip is x265 you might not notice a difference from the 720p rip, especially if you watch it on a tv.

If they're both x264, then yeah go for bigger size.

It all depends. A 1080p 7GB rip can look worse than 720p 2GB rip.

It's a matter of whether or not the encoder knows what they're doing. A lot of scene torrents are made by idiots who have no idea what the fuck they're doing

1080p is a meme
get whatever has the highest bitrate

(it will be the 720p one in this case)

why don't you just download bigger file size 1080p flix?

why are those your only options?

because i use yify

because some films on the tracker i'm using are only 720 and i can only find the 1080 on piratebay .. but most of the time they are 1-2gb files.

/thread

Depends on your fucking monitor, but go with the highest bitrate

Depends on the conditions.

Is the 720 using 5 GB worth of FLAC HIGH QUALITY audio? Is the 720 using shitty compression codec? Is the 1080p using 128kbps audio and optimized video codec?

Assuming same codec, running h264 video codec. if 1080p was coded with 2000 kilobits, thats roughly 1.8GB file for 120 minute movie. If the audio is only about 160 MB extra, So final size would be 1.81 GB for the 1080p. That would be yify like quality.

For 720p, Lets assume 6000 kbps bitrate for video that's roughly 5.4GB of video file. Lets assume 1400 kbps FLAC audio(CD quality), thats about 1.2 GB for audio. Total it would be 6.6 GB for 720p.

A 6000 kbps for a 720p video is OVERKILL. You can hardly tell the difference 6000 kbps video h264 and a 2000 kbps video on 720p. Let alone 4000. But the point is, diminishing return hits 720p at around 2000 kbps, anything else is diminished greatly.

For 1080p video, the 2000 kbps is quite limited in bit still watchable. Ideally you'd want somewhere around 3000-4000 kbps for a 1080p without marginal loss of quality.

Let assume we're watching the movie upscaled on 1080p monitors. By a noticible margin, the 720p (6GB) would look better upscaled to 1080p than 1080p vodep (2GB).

Is it worth downloading? Only if you're a placebo fag. If the 720p is 6-8GB, I'd say the encoder is shit or going for placebo mode. If the 720p is around 2-4GB, I'd go for it. If the 1080p was around 4-5GB I'd go for it.

In conclusion regarding your scenario, both options are shitty. One is unoptimized placebo, other is constrained. Go for third option.

Who /remux/ /grym/ /fgt/ et al here

My nigga you needa fuckin relax or somethin, smdh

>yify

triggered

Most of this is just flat out wrong. For 1080p 2000 kbps is literally YIFY-tier. 3000-4000 kbps doesn't even come close to what a movie in 1080p would need to be transparent to the source. Regarding 720p, 6000 kps is not overkill at all for 720p, in fact very rarely will a 720p encode from a blu ray source be below 7000-8000 kbps. Also the amount of bitrate a movie needs depends on the source. Some sources compress better than others, and it really varies.

t. Encoder

You should buy the Blu-Ray.

you sound like such a faggot

>transparent to the source
Thats not what I said. A 4000 kbit 1080p would suffice quite nicely on 1080p. You can push more to be more "transparent to the source" but thats different from being good for 1080p. Same with 720p argument.

My numbers are from my own personal experience + bit of scaling. I'll admit I don't do regular live movies much, as its mainly anime that I deal with.

Came here to say this. I don't even download Remuxes anymore knowing how wasteful they are.

no, if the bitrate is shit it doesn't matter, it's just going to be a bigger, shittier image

You mad that your life got flipped-turned upside down

After 480p, 3-5GB for a 2 hour movie seems to be the sweet spot.

fuck that, a 15 mbps 1080p rip looks a fuckton better than 4 mbps, a simple screenshot comparison could show you that

Usually, i go on the public tracker site, punch in the name of the movie, then download the 720 torrent with the most seeds with a size NO LESS then 3gbs.

Sweet spot being 4 to 5 gbs.

I leave the rest up to the encoder and assume a 5gb 720p file has a lot of dlwnloads because its objectively good.

Never had any issues.

What are the god-tier codecs?

Show me

I only dl HQ 20GB+ shit if I know it's a good film.
Everything else can be 720p yify quality.
Am I the only one?

fuck wit me skin-boi

post yer internet speed
>20 Down
>20 Up

x265

No

H.265 > VP9 > H.264 > HEVC > Shit > MPEG-2 > xvid > QuickTime > RealVideo

H.265 and HEVC are the same thing. And H.265 is not a good codec, especially when comparing quality. H.264 is the king. It helps that it's also the most compatible and widely used.

>1080p is a meme
No when you get 19-35gb rips

>I don't even download remuxes anymore knowing how wasteful they are
Senpai the fuck

4gb 1080p or 4gb 720p?

Exactly H.264 is all that matters and its compatible

I don't need to reduce my files sizes I'm not a cuck

Just go with at least a 10-12 gb rip faggot

For your question its up to bitrate but 1080

former

>10-12gb rip
Why? That costs 2.5x as much bandwidth, 2.5x as much space on my media server, and looks identical on a TV from more than 3' away.

Later.

how big is your tv?

15"

You really fell for the meme huh?

It doesn't look identical kek. I mainly use 20-30gb rips and they are gorgrous. Ive used plenty of 4 5 gb rips and 10-15 is certainly better

If you care about watching the film properly you shouldnt watch 4 gb rips

27", 31", and 43" (where most of the watching is done). There's a 24" in the kitchen but it's just for the roommate to watch cooking shows while she cooks

>That costs 2.5x as much bandwidth, 2.5x as much space on my media server
When has bandwidth even been an issue anywhere outside third world countries with data caps and other such faggotry?

Also storage is also cheap as fuck, 4tb HDDs are like $100 now. I've got 4 of the fucking things in my media server.

I heard the difference is something like the 720p looks better when the picture is in motion and the 1080p looks better for still images. The 720p would probably still look better overall for a file size difference that big though.

>t. Encoder
aXXo that you?

Cont. That answers my problem I was going to tell you to get a better tv

What brand 4tb ones? Best buy only sells the fucking 2tb ones for 100

best buy is AIDS
they stopped selling the toshiba canvio externals and now for the most part only carry shitgate

I live in Southern California, and my ISP gives me crazy internet (and doesn't care about my torrenting) but starts throttling after I get ~750GB/cycle (monthly). The cap they dictate is 250GB.

Sure storage is cheap, but I already have 12TB of storage on the server and it fills up regardless. I'd rather not have to dump more money into more hard drives and expansion cards when there's a negligible difference in quality considering my viewing method.

You're a meme

>bestbuy

Just order it online you dweeb

>ISP gives me crazy internet
Post speeds senpai

60/50 in my room (unfortunately goes through a EoP connection cuz old apartment building) but fresh off the modem where I have my server it's closer to 125/50

I always wonder how people with bandwidth caps don't end up killing themselves.Sounds like absolute hell.

I get 100mbs have no limits or caps and my ISP doesn't give a single fug about what I do.

>data caps

kek is California really this shit?

It has its perks.

a beach?

yea, i'm good.

HOLY FUGG

just kill me now

user i am so sorry. really. do u wanna snuggle?

it will be really slow

youre a high ping

for you :__:

>tfw have to wait two hours or more for a yify rip

>It has its perks.

Yeah, a few beaches that are actually accessible to the public.

not saying i don't buy online, i was just telling the dude that best buy is shit when it comes to pretty much everything

Son, I...