Im a mechanic. ask away Sup Forumsros

im a mechanic. ask away Sup Forumsros

do you judge me by how messy my interior is?

Yes

How often do people get ripped off by not actually changing the oil?

This never happens. Nobody makes any money on oil changes anyway.

How often are those bs "recommended services" legit?

How often are those "recommended services" legit?

will my transmission get fucked up if I always start my car from 2nd gear?

i do judge if its extremely dirty.
you get ripped off most when you go to franchises in oil situations.
i work at an independent shop. we cant bs customers and expect them not to come back.

How long would it take me to rebuild the engine wiring harness on a 1989 gmc suburban with a 'cheby tree fiddy'

Should i pay over 300 for a pre made wiring harness on ebay or can i get away with just buying a bulk pack of fancy wire pins and connectors and individually cutting, routing, soldering and connecting all 36 wires myself?

My car makes a grinding noise at startup idle, took it to the service center and was told it was the exhaust flex seal and would cost about $600, I call bullshit, what say you

wont get fucked up short term but you should really start your car in park or neutral asshole

No, but I guess your clutch would wear out faster.

what went wrong in your childhood to make you become a mechanic?

throw away that 1989 POS. nobody rebuilds old tvs and you shouldnt keep a car that old and ugly

What's the most disgusting thing you ever found in a car's interior?

old food is the nastiest thing. pungent smell from molded cheese

How many people have you killed? How much do you charge?

Not OP but it depends on the car, since you're probably an idiot on the subject, it most likely isn't grinding. Some jobs on cars take a ridiculously long time, so labor adds up. Go to another shop with lower rates and ask for a quote

Not OP, but I'm semi mechanic
One guy thought he was clever by stuffing his cum socks under the mattress, but I had to lift up the mattress to get to so wiring

another guy kept his parrot with him in the truck and the back was full of shit and feathers

My right front wheel rattles/screeches at lowish speeds (10-15mph) I hate my PoS Mazda so I haven't gotten it looked at. Fuck cars btw

Have you ever stolen something out of someone's car? Has anyone you personally know?

2012 BMW X1 - german made in liepzig plant - 2L petrol sdrive18i, any good?

Have you ever killed a nigger?

i've killed 0 people related to work. 20 and counting in my personal life

I lost my virginity in a car. I don't have a question. I just wanted you to know that.

I just sold my 2003 Saturn L300 v6 with 229000km today for 1375$ cad. Fresh safety. Underside is perfect. 3.0L engine. Sunroof, Chrome saturn 16" rims.

Did I provide a good deal? I was asking 1600$ Cad

Friend has a 2007 Caravan SXT (yes, he is fucked with to the point of an hero). It has the 3.3 6 cylinder. Before 125000 miles no oil consumption, now at 145000 it consumes an extra two quarts every 5000 miles. Any ideas why the drastic change? He changes the oil religiously.

don't buy any newer model BMW. theyre all shit after 50k miles. too many failing electrical parts. had a 2011 x5 come in with failing water pump cost about 4000 after labor

What level of experience you got? Just started last year with no experience, started doing oil changes. Did my 3rd water pump today but it took me way longer than it should have. Some days I just wanna fuckin kill myself

Yes fuck those fucking cars

i wouldve offered you 500 for that saturn. sounds like you hit the jackpot. they dont even make saturns anymore so that should tell you something

Jesus christ.

prolly something to do with rotor, and/or brake shoes

like 3 years, including school
The only reason I work with electricity is because my boss noticed my autism superpowers one day

How to you set the Throttle Valve cable on a 700R4 GM transmission?

Think I should look into doing it myself or just bring it in?

Is it leaking from somewhere? Have you taken it in to a shop? At least jack it up and look at it

It really isn't that hard to do it yourself but did you do it wrong you could die

prolly an oil leak somewhere. duh

Blown head gasket(pray its not this)
or
Bad valve cover gaskets(this is easy and can be done at home)
or
leaking oil pan(again easy)
or
Leaking oil filter(even easier)

Or sometimes it just plain burns oil.

Also nothing wrong with a caravan ive had many and they are reliable as fuck

wouldnt be too terribly hard, just buy a book online that teaches you how to service your vehicle and there should be a step-by-step in there.
PS, my dad's a mechanic and hes learned a shitload from those books. For example, hes got a book titled 99-2006 silverados and the GMC variant, and those books show you how to do a lot of maintenance.

Doesn't leak a drop. Underside is dry. I checked the coolant to see some oil made it past bad seals. Coolant looks good. Also no smoke from the tailpipe.

Do customers ever call you first or just come in? How much is a "real" customer call worth to you? Do you ever throw kickbacks to the towing companies?

eh win-win for trying to fix myself. Thanks user

so what really needs to be done to a car thats been having steady maintenance and has 28800 miles. practically nothing right?

You make money off incompetence; good for you.

Did school really help you with where you're at today, or is it mainly experience?

GM and Chrysler V8's and V6's usually do get a little more oil thirsty around 100k miles, might just have to live with it if you're sure no oil is getting in through the valve seals.

What Kind of regular maintenance can retards do on their cars to help them run better/longer?

a 2014 by the way

if its running good with no failures then no. If you wanna be nice you can replace the transmission and buy a reman engine in it but thats it.

Do i have to take my car in to tighten my serpintine belt or could i do it myself?

faggot I know former mechanics that bring their cars in all the time because they just don't want to deal with the hassle.

>im a mechanic. ask away Sup Forumsros
Which do you prefer luberat

TIG or MIG?

All u dumbfucks in here. Do not buy domestic or eurofag cars. Only chink made. Trust me im a doctor

triple square gut gud faggot

My electric mower smoked for about 45 seconds and stopped working.
Is there any way to salvage the mower / engine or am I SOL

My car battery died after I left the lights on. When I jumped it the first time I didn't drive it long enough. Then I was gone for like two weeks. Now I've jumped it and driven it for like a half hour, but it feels like it wants to stall when I am stopped at lights and such. Is that all in my head or is there something I need be concerned about?

Oil changes, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, halogen fluid, cabin air filter (a lot of people forget about this one). Just to name a few

I guarantee there are many incredibly simplistic things that you pay to have done for you as well.
Eating with a spoon for instance

What's the dumbest thing you've ever seen a customer do? I once saw a woman who had put oil in her windshield-washer container, but I'm sure you could top that.

Test your battery, test your charging system, inspect your terminals

Please tell me you're not a dealerfag OP

Thanks, user.

Thanks guy, so you think it's worth bringing it in?

not op here

Found a used car with a thong in it.
100%, the worse the smell the more people we call over to smell it
if dealership, its the manufacturer recommendation. cars that receive said maintenance last longer.
got a job at BMW while I was in highschool, cant complain. working on moving to IT though
starting it or taking off from a stop from it? if starting no, taking off, probably not much more wear.
fuckin tard
like a quarter one time
not the mini cooper generation, is okay/10.
Unless he notices heavy oil in the driveway it isn't going to be a leak, if it smokes at startup it is most likely valve stem seals, otherwise rings could be going. Car problems just happen, yo
uh, what? unless they drove it on the pump being dead and overheated it, you guys were just fucking them. waterpump in KSD isn't even that long of a job to do. But yeah, fuckin modules go all the time, and new modules also includes a program. fuck that stuff.

Forgot to add to check your tire pressure every so often. There should be a sticker in your drivers door jam showing you the pressure specification

What do you mean fuck those fucking cars? The car has been nothing but amazing!!!

U are retarded

Bmws are literally the worst
>dealer said change your oil every 15k miles
Kek

I have a 4runner 1990, 6 cilinder, begin to shake then totaly stopped, i exchanged the sparkplugs, sparkplugs wires, air filter but no starts any more, can you tell me what happen?

Maybe, do you see the lights on your dash going dim or fading in and out? Does it feel like it's lacking power? If you really are concerned then I would. It could be a simple battery swap or terminals, could be an alternator. Make sure the terminals aren't loose or painted, maybe clean em up with a wire brush and some terminal cleaner.

Excuse me, fuck working on those fucking cars.

There was a big lawsuit about it. BMW actually wanted a 15k mile oil, and they paid (castrol iirc) to create it. Long story short, they didnt but said they did. We ended up having to replace several engines over it.

You clearly don't work on enough Ford's

Found
On
Road
Dead

or

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Pretty positive all Castrol products with the exception of edge and magnatec are recommended at Max 3k miles

Jesus tap dancing Christ apostrophes do not indicate plural. Fucking retard.

Did a thermostat on a 200(6?) Focus. Fuck that. I hear they put the circle around the emblem so they know what the problem is

My rear left tire makes a jingling noise when i go over a bump. Whats the cause?

yknow, except for the one BMW originally paid to have engineered for 12k.

You sure it's your tire? Jingling sounds like exhaust

>nobody ever makes any money on oil changes
>>if you dont actually do the oil change, you dont have any loss of inventory and it's pure profit
>>>this never happens

yeah you're wrong.

How do you test a fuel pressure regulator

Iunno. Maybe. I kicked the tire and i heard the jingling. I guess i could just go under the car and check. What should i look for?

ahem....

"Do customers ever call you first or just come in? How much is a "real" customer call worth to you? Do you ever throw kickbacks to the towing companies?"

leaf spring shackles

Are all mechanics shady assholes?

can a car with r12 be converted to r34 just by draining/changing the oil and changing the fittings?

I've seen some people do this with success and others have said they run on very different pressures and it won't last long.

Looose muffler. Wiggle it and see if theres lots of play

That nigger you ran over

use a fuel pressure regulator testing tool

you can honestly get away with draining just the refrigerant and putting the fitting adapters on it an refilling. By ASE standards you're suppose to replace most if not all of the A/C system but fuck that.

Are u talking about freon or motor oil? R12 and r134 is ac refrigerant

That sounds..strange.. take a look at the brakes, shocks, hubcap maybe?

Nah, scraped him off already. Besides, that was more of a thumping noise.

I got 10k to spend, what is a good reliable used car

Nah u would have to chnage the ac . arent the fittings welded on?