A couple of recruiters came by and spoke to our class about joining and all of its benefits like covering tuition and a...

A couple of recruiters came by and spoke to our class about joining and all of its benefits like covering tuition and a whole bunch of other good shit. Not only that but they mentioned that you make a shit ton of money and you don't have to work a top-tier job. I'm currently considering it, since I'm too autistic for Marines and shit. Any truth to these statements?

No, there is no truth to their statements.
"shit ton of money" is only like 30k. You can easily earn that working at McDonald's.
All of the work you do is back breaking, degrading, downright boring, and worthless. You will get nothing out of it, yet in the end you will feel like the rest of America owes you something for your service. You will become an asshole, and people will hate you. They won't actively tell you though, since you're a 'veteran'.

Yes and no, benefits r good but u don't get good money until sergeant or above. It's just everything before that sucks and u deal with a lot of crap (basic, AIT, and being the new private at ur first unit will suck.....alot)

Yes, good goy, join the military and fight for Isra-...er, I mean, the USA!

i leave for usmc boot camp this sunday, the only reason you should be joining the Military is to defend the constitution of the united states and the rights and liberties of all that live in the USA

Youre giving them your life so they have to pay handsomely to compensate that

you can have your opinion and thats fine. I would gladly give my life so that you can continue to do so.

What about the "covering the tuition" thing? How does that work out?

you're exactly the kind of mindless pawn they crave

most of the time it doesn't. Less than half of vets actually use it.

Covers about as much as two classes a semester

Whatever they promise you, get it in writing. Recruiters are salesmen, and you should be wise enough to know how full of shit salesmen are by now. I mean you're old enough to join the fucking Army.

I figured as much. Recruiters are paid, anyway.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had my doubts and shit, but just wanted to confirm the info.

Hahahahahaha Poor child.

I went through all that nonsense 7 years ago in May, let me tell you WILL regret it. You'll be another number to them. You won't actually be defending the constitution as you think . From a Marine to a recruit, I really feel sorry for you .

Not even close to accurate. $30k at McD's? Good luck with that, you'll get like 10 hours a week if you're lucky. You do have to do some physical labor in the military, but unless you're a complete moron, most likely you will be working in some sort of technical job. Most of the military specialties translate directly into civilian world middle class jobs where you will make a comfortable living.
Also, veteran benefits aren't welfare, it's part of your benefits for the job you've done, just like a 401k and health insurance through your employer.
Not to mention you get all holidays off, and most days there isn't much work to do. When you're not in the field or deployed, and you've finished any training and maintenance that has to be done, you will likely spend most of your "work day" playing video games. You make up for this by, you know, going to fucking war.

It only partially covers tuition. It's not worth it. Believe me.

Nigga, you're going to have a really bad time when you actually realize why you joined. It won't be right away, but the time will come. For me it was 3 years after I got out of basic training.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's guys that never have that realization. Who knows that may be you.

From what I've heard, they only cover tuition for other military-type degrees. Shooting shit and blowing shit up does seem like a lot of fun, but I think I'd rather settle down and continue doing what I'm doing. Whatever works for you, OP.

I almost joined, I'd already be through bootcamp if it weren't for my current gf.

A lot of bullshit in this thread OP.
If you do 3 years then youll get the full Post 9/11 GI bill which will FULLY pay for your tuition AND give you a BAH stipend every month while in school, which is rougly enough to pay for your rent or more (depends on location of college) when i used it in Fort Worth my stipend was $1450/month. You wont get paid a whole hell of a lot while in the military unless youre an officer or warrant, but youll get all food and housing for free so all of the money that you do make will just be profit. The military isnt hard and its not bad. If you dont have a scholarship to college then i highly recommend going into the military but make sure you choose a job that will have some skills for when you get out of the military.

Modern society is not worth dying for.

That's what pussies say. Don't ever say you I almost joined.

Second this. Get that shit IN WRITING

What recruiting station are you from?

luckily never got recruiting duty, and im out now

I only got about 6k of my 20k in student loan reimbursement. I'm so worn out from the army I dont even care anymore to fight it and im glad to be out. I was an intel analyst(made seargent at 4 year anniversary) and have a top secret clearance and a bachelors degree, still working shitty security jobs.

I should have just went to be a pipe fitter or electrical apprentice after highschool.

The military hasn't been about defending the Constitution or our freedom, for a long time. Your intentions are good, but that doesn't count for anything, user.

>you make a shit ton of money
Maybe compared to bullshit minimum wage jobs that don't require a college degree. If you go to college and get a good degree like something in STEM, law etc. you will make way more money than most people in the military.

High ranking officers can make a lot of money but you have to be in the service like 20+ years before you get those jobs.

brosef, you need to get IT certs. i know dat feel though, i had a helluva time getting a job until i got certs. Once i got Sec+ i got hired immediately.

I joined the marines for VA Home loans and so I can shell some hajjis.

Pull string go boom

My ex-GF's dad worked intelligence in 'Nam. He was stationed in Saigon, and was there till the very end. He's got some really fucked up stories. Once he returned to civilian life he ended up doing dead-end jobs from then on.

>the only reason you should be joining the Military is to defend the constitution of the united states and the rights and liberties of all that live in the USA

And then promptly get court marshaled for disobeying orders because the military hasn't been about the constitution for a long time.

You make like 5-10 grand a year untaxed don't you? which btw OP isn't shit. You will come out after 4 or so years with 20-40k and just like all the other fags that join blow it on a Mustang or some shit. Then you will have no skills pertaining to the real world and you will be fucked. They do it purposely so you are forced to stay in the military.

It depends on what career you want afterwards.

I want to be a veterinary technician, so I asked a recruiting center about enlisting to be one for the army. It'll help me when I want to be a civilian.

They denied me because I have seizures :)

So now I'm stuck :)

With my shitty retail job :)

Waiting for a job to open :)

Like I have for the past few years :)

:')

no dumbass, that "5-10k/year untaxed" is BAH and BAS. That is NOT your actual salary. Typically youll make around 30k/year taxed plus the 5-10k Untaxed

>:)
>:')

This

I remember reading that more Marines died in motorcycle crashes than died in Iraq. There is a serious problem with idiots saving up a ton of money while they are deployed because the military pays for everything while they are gone. So when they get home they have a bunch of money in the bank. They go buy it on a fast motorcycle and promptly kill themselves trying to go 200 mph.

Go for it. Get some job training and free school. Looks good on your resume going forward, you get cheaper insurance and banking through usaa, you get discounts on cars and home loans. Plus you have a bit of savings afterward. The only downside is you have to fight for the jews for a few years.

I know I lowballed but still not worth it. Unless you are in some specialized communications field or something what do you do when you get out? work at a Walmart?

>wasn't smart enough to become a doctor
Military sounds like the next best thing I guess.

You get a GI bill, plus if youre not a complete fucking idiot then you can get a job in the field that you got trained in. Whether that job is electrician, plumber, commo, intel, IT, etc. If you join as infantry or artillary then yeah, walmart it is

I'm planning on having a chat with a recruiter in the near future if possible (Am A Leaf), besides getting things in writing, is there any other things they might pull that I should watch for?

Army vet here.

There's two types of veterans out there. One is the bitter fucktards who let their experiences define them. The other are the people who go into the military like a hungry tiger; they take advantage of every possible opportunity.

Is there some leadership training that your unit needs volunteers for? Can you take some college classes while still enlisted? Are there connections you can make with contractors? Does your specialty translate to something in the civilian sector? The smart people are thinking about these things.

Then again, you could always go out every night with your buddies and show up to duty next day while still drunk.

Are you willing to put in the WORK to make this opportunity worthwhile? Then yeah, go for it.... Oh and no matter what your recruiter tells you, you will absolutely be deployed no matter what.

theyre going to overyly hype each job that you qualify for, especially if they need people to fill the position. i would highly fucking recommend researching whatever jobs you qualify for and go to boards where people have done those jobs to see what its like. If youre going to an army recruiter then i would recommend the 35J, 35S, or 17C

you make a shit ton of money if youre black or at some poor rural high school. go to college, fuck the army.

My bad, not 35J, do 35Q

>friend enlisted to be in the marching band
>they put him on the front lines instead
>he's trapped there miserable

It's like a car dealer scam sometimes, recruiters tell you anything

I appreciate the tips, thank you.

no prob dude, good luck

Army has the best benefits nigger

they lied...