What is the appeal of this show? It fucking sucks

What is the appeal of this show? It fucking sucks.

people who dont read books think its a compelling portrayal of depression,

dumb people that were completely mediocre in all aspects of their personality in ones were they werent failures think this show is witty and clever in a subtle way, like them.

You're too young to understand. It's a show for grown ups.

This is the target audience, those that have some deluded notion that it's a "mature" or "subtle" type of story telling. See Alternatively, they're always meme spouting retards, as evident with

It's dumb and there's a lot of SJW propaganda in this show. Most of the humor is annoying.

But one thing that I will say for this show is Bojack's portrayal of depression is pretty spot on. Anyone who has been severely depressed can relate to him.

>keeps making the same mistakes over and over, it's like it never ends
>hates himself more and more and tells himself he will change, but he knows it's a lie
>abuses drugs to take away the self loathing and misery for a while
>life is a trainwreck, everyone is dissapointed in him

Pretty accurate desu. That's the one thing the writers do well in this show.

How many books have you read this year and what were they?

can you recommend some good books that have compelling portrayals of depression?

Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky

>all these depressed people are wrong for thinking this is an accurate portrayal of depression
>they experience it every day but they don't know what they're talking about

Do you actually have an argument against what I said, or are you just trying to change the subject

It's a simple question. Indulge me. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Why the hostility, it's just a question

I made a lot of points about why despite the fact that it's a dumb show, Bojack portrays depression accurately. Can you actually refute any of that? Try, then maybe I will answer your question.

Why do you think I want to refute you? I have no argument with you.

Why the reluctance? If the list is too long just the first 5 will do.

>muh depression
This shows depiction of depression is shallow and juvenile. It's an analogue of how a lot of angsty teens and people in their 20s experience depression. They feel aimless and apathetic, but somehow have nothing to say about it. Bojack is essentially a glorified manchild.

This show would be a lot better if they got rid of Todd and Diane and focused only on Bojack. Also have better quality filter on the jokes. Occasionally they are funny but most of the humor is trash.

I have legitimate diagnosed depression (among other things) and I think it's a shitty portrayal. Fight me about it faggot, this is just about a narcissistic faggot treating people like shit, reaping what he sows, then feeling sorry for himself about it.

I'm so fucking disgusted at the fact notes has become the go-to book for pseuds to flaunt around in order to look smart and cultured to people that don't read

Nice trips

Also don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. hes trying to look smart, notes has nothing to do with depression

the show isnt that bad either, weird how all haters of it seem to just be pseuds

Oh look it's a self righteous moralfag judging others for "treating people like shit." Why don't you go preach somewhere else

>notes has nothing to do with depression

lol

That's literally the only thing people deserve to be judged for, kill yourself.

I started watching it in the run up to S3, where it was like watching a train wreck about to happen, continuously, for the entirety of the run.

On repeated watching, the characters are actually pretty well written, the background gags are fantastic, the plot itself is pretty good, and as I mentioned, the continuous train wreck thing is better the second time around.

>le dismissive, sarcastic "lol" that for some reason will serve as my dismissal of you

Your whole argument is irony. You can't have this typical reddit style of argument and claim to understand notes. Bet you didn't even read it in ruski. Typical ignorant underage amerifats.

>The Sup Forums-tier pseudo intellectual crowd has latched onto dostoevsky

whatever, next month you'll have something else. I just have to wait it out.

Because it has interesting characters and good jokes. It's better than your average comedy.

>post something retarded
>get indignant when your retardation isn't indulged

lol

>sanctimonious moralfag telling someone to kill themselves

You can't make this shit up

You will get judged for treating people like shit you entitled fuck.

That's what I meant. This whole smug postmodern notion of "you're just wrong, only I'm correct, it's just so OBVIOUS. You're just not IN on the OBVIOUSNESS."
>so now Ill just dismiss you with a sarcastic "lol"

Notes is not about depression. If you think so, you understood absolutely nothing about it.

I think you just read it to look smart and to impress other people that don't read, as some form of compensation for lack in other departments

>waaaah I have to face consequences for my actions life is so hard I'm just like Bojack
The rest of the world is better off without you.

I've been thinking about watching it

Does it even come close to Moral Orel?

Season 2 > 1 >>> 3

>Muh books
>don't talk to me if you don't Einstein
>I'm surrounded by intellectual inferiors
>Woman are whores, they only care about looks.
>While you meatheads are strengthening your useless bodies, I am strengthening my mind.
>If you believe in God, stay away from me.
>People are too put off with my superior intelligence to be friends with me.
>Mom always said I was special.

I've never read Notes. Is it good? What is it about?

>protagonist is alienated & depressed
>but the story has "nothing to do with depression"

Is what you're saying yet you're aghast at ridicule.

He made a SELF AWARE and CONSCIOUS decision to isolate himself. He is not depressed. You missed the entire point if you went through it thinking "aww hes just so depressed because hes le smart freethinker like me"

Furthermore, being isolated /=/ depression, you dumb teenager. Surprised you haven't said >he's literally r9k dude :').
Just because you use le big words doesn't make you literary you dumb ignorant fuck. Fuck off.

It's like 200 pages. I hope you're not trying to have a "gotcha" moment under the guise of being another person.

Translation: none

>he thinks morality is objective and not completely made up and arbitrary

Shouldn't you be on r/politics or something

It may not look like it, but "The Art of Racing in the Rain" has a pretty good portrayal.

Books are irrelevant in the modern age. Anyone that thinks that reading makes you intelligent is a literal compensating fedora.

Nah I'm not that guy. I'm just wondering what it's about

People who want to kill themselves and probably should because they're whiny pussies.

It's 200 pages. You could finish it in a day, rather than have it ruined by some half assed description.

ahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH oh my fucking god Sup Forums

> The cruel thing with depression is that it's such a self-centered illness - Dostoevsky shows that pretty good in his "Notes from Underground". The depression is painful, you're sapped/consumed by yourself; the worse the depression, the more you just think about yourself and the stranger and repellent you appear to others.

DFW disagrees with you

I'm not even the guy you asked, I just find it funny how you brought up books on Sup Forums to try to show how intellectual you are.

>he rationalizes being a narcissist with bullshit pseudo-intellectualism
It's simple. If you hurt people you purport to care about or need, you don't get to act surprised when they decide to shun you or act similarly toward you. If you don't like these basic rules for human interaction, go build yourself a cabin in the woods and masturbate to the mirror for the rest of your life. You are not entitled to everyone putting up with your shit.

I'm . People only read because it was the most effective form of entertainment. Now with TV and other like it you can have stories told for you in more practical manners. It was never a measure of intelligence. The only reason things like notes are still around is because they told a story only capable in their own format (books). Alternatively, there have been film and music that only reached their full potential through their format. So no, you aren't smart for reading. what am I saying, you're vain and egotistic and only read for the image. No wonder you blatantly cannot recommend anything other than surface level things like notes, which you blatantly misunderstand to begin with. Again FUCK OFF you're not wanted in the lit comunity

WOW. Another person said it, so it must be true.

You are EVERYTHING the narrator in notes stood against you massive fag

So... I love television and film too

What makes you think you're right about any of that? Why should I care about your dumb rules?

Oftentimes people who have never experienced depression are literally just too dumb for it. Hearing that I'm a pussy from someone who isn't on the same plane of consciousness as I am is meaningless. You're inferior.

Sure, but in your case that's nothing more than an excuse to bitch about others judging you. After all, why should you care about other people's "arbitrary" morals?

Consequence. A lot of anons really missed the point blankly. The show is a deconstruction of sitcoms that essentially end all happy-dorey at the end whereas consequences in Bojack tend to show up and trickle down throughout future eps.

Whats your argument that he isn't depressed again?

All you've done is assume a haughty 'smarter-than-thou' attitude and say 'that's not right because I said so'. DFW is wrong in his assessment of Notes because... why exactly?

Please use quotations from the text to support whatever you're trying to prove.

And I'm not the guy who brought up books. I just commented on a stupid statement.

I'm not depressed, so I don't know if it's "accurate". But as a drama it works, which is probably more important anyways.

What makes you think you're entitled to a positive reaction or forgiveness for hurting people? You must have some serious form of autism if you don't understand cause and effect as simple as this. I don't mean that in the insulting Sup Forums sense. I mean you must have a serious issue with being self-centered and lacking any sense of empathy or emotional maturity. If this is the typical mindset of the people who like Bojack Horseman for being relatable, I think I found a new autofilter for who to interact with in my life.

Then why were you complaining in the first place?

What, are you implying you have any merit to your """""Argument""" other than LITERAL dime-a-dozen smug sarcasm alongside the words of another person?

Are you implying that there's a point where he flat out says "nah im not depressed btw LOL"

The only constant in your life is you. The only logical way to live your life is to do whatever you want at all times. Why should you care about other people?

Because you have to live among them, unless of course you take my suggestion and move innawoods to masturbate to the mirror for the rest of your life. You need other people. You live within a society. Even shitposting on the 4chinz at this very moment is fulfilling some basic need for you, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. You know what shitposting on the 4chinz requires? Other people. Other people to react to your shitposting, other people to moderate the boards, other people to maintain the servers, and other people to keep your internet connection running at your ISP. I could go on, but if you don't get the point by now there's truly no helping you.

lol tons of NRA and 2nd amendment people are happy and successful... try again faggot sjw

Garbage. Read more and get back to me.

>Claims to understand notes
>Still posts le ebin nhilism dude xD fucc da rules i smarter than them!!

Okay, so there are alternative forms of media. But they haven't been obsoleted by modern entertainment. People still read, books still sell. See, you assume your contemporaries are shallow, and perceive others partaking in any enriching activity that you don't as a vain attempt to appear intellectual. Your insecurity is as apparent as your ignorance. Your worldview is derivative and you will gain nothing by throwing things that challenge it aside.

Also, not the guy who brought up notes, but that little comment was so stupid I thought you deserved some ridicule.

God i hate bookfags, thinking that consuming a different type of entertainment(fictional books)somehow makes them intellectual and sophisticated.
Fuck off, the show is good and the book notes from the underground is good period

I'm not the one who was talking about Notes. But could you explain it to me though? I'm interested.

I understand what you are saying. I will think about this some more. I appreciate your point of view. Thanks for the discussion user.

>it's another "/lit/ drones that have been browsing for 2 months want to show off how cultured they are by going on Sup Forums and citing their knowledge of high school assigned reading" episode

next you'll tell me that heart of darkness is a masterpiece

So you're making a presumption that you can't back up is what you're telling me?

Notes is surface level, but it's not going to be a high school assigned reading. Not that there's anything wrong with that, most books are assigned as reads because they're of high quality and are meant to introduce.

Well for starters, one of the themes is BTFOing the concept of "fucc da rules", basically saying you're obligated to follow certain rules whether you like it or not.

>Thinking classic literature is as relevant as it was when first published

Do people really believe this?

>Oftentimes people who have never experienced happiness are literally just too dumb for it. Hearing that I'm blissfully ignorant from someone who isn't on the same plane of consciousness as I am is meaningless. You're inferior.

Okay, how many people in this thread have even watched the fucking show. I don't mean the first episode, I mean at least a whole season. This show is like Arrested Development where it calls back to past episodes and that's how the humour works.

Nope, just that you're a smug dumbass with no self awareness.

>Well for starters, one of the themes is BTFOing the concept of "fucc da rules", basically saying you're obligated to follow certain rules whether you like it or not.

But why? What if you just want to live by yourself?

You mean every depressed person isn't an artist who can eloquently and succintly express his fears, issues, insecurities, and depressions and uses ridiculously self-destructive and generally destructive behavior as a means of coping with this inability to be happy AND the inability to make your unhappiness "mean" anything?

Yeah, real unrealistic. Everybody who is depressed has "something to say about it". Just like everyone who gets Cancer has something to say about it.

>it's not going to be high school assigned reading
It was at mine.

Sounds like you brainlets went to a public school.

You're just proving my point though. Stupidity is conducive to happiness, not the other way around. That's not to say that morons can't be depressed, but intelligent people are prone to a much deeper, more intense form of suffering than idiots are.

You can't make a point by replacing words if the new words make it wrong, you fucking imbecile.

Because no one is interested in your dumb cunt critic of books just because you've started reading Joyce.

you're so special. private schools are massive wastes of money, since 1-12 does not matter whatsoever in comparison to what college you go to (which is becoming more and more irrelevant as the years go by as well)

I mean, if you're not lying, that is.

Then you must follow the rules of nature.

actually, extremely high iqs have a negative correlation with depression

Low IQ people are more prone to being depressed

Look it up. I'm not kidding

I had to watch it because fags wont stop talking about it and it's the most self-masturbatory feel bad for me dreck I've ever seen, you really have to be a fucking loser to watch this and feel empathetic.

This show is like the epitome of whiny faggy white kids in college who think their lives suck and their depression is actually hard but it's not.

That's hilariously wrong. Kill yourself.

You can't though. Could you really "live by yourself" with no social interaction?

Reminder, things like Sup Forums count as social interaction.

That's supposed to be the point of classical literature. That it's timeless.

>A book set in a 19th century could be relevant to a 21st century.
>A book about feeling lonely in Moscow could be relevant to modern basement dwellers.

Why do dumb people get so angry when they're told they're not smart or special for having meme depression"""?

Since you have nothing more than your own unsubstantiated opinion and I have the corroboration of an esteemed author whose reading comprehension is most likely better than yours it looks like you're wrong.

It actually isn't, dummy.

No, YOU are proving MY point.
Maybe you just cant comprehend the fact that there's a "plane" even higher than yours where you can achieve happiness?

Pride in your misery and assuming it as a part of your character, tying it to other positive traits like intelligence, this is why you will never be happy.

What if I have been a selfish miserable depressed scumbag my whole life? Can I change? Can I be a good person?

you have autism and I hope you contain yourself to your room IRL

you have a lesser but still measurable amount of autism for indulging this faggot

It's impossible to prove to someone that they're stupid whilst being a massive hypocrite, unfortunately.

>I have big words!
>I have the backing of another person that claims to read alot

my goodness.

DUDE ONE EYE OPEN MORE THAN THE OTHER MOM'S GONNA FREAK

blatant samefag.

Stupid people can more easily achieve happiness via self-deceptive practices like religion, astrology, nationalism, etc. Intelligence is definitely a burden when it comes to contentment, anyone who argues otherwise is just proving they're retarded.