/daily/ - everyone is co edition

i'm co, you're co, he, she, we are co

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~mittbarns
rateyourmusic.com/~colderthanoldness
aveytare.com/sound/BacKground-ocean-sm.mp3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hmmm

are u the real co

this is the danger of nwot using a tripcode

bazinga

there are imposters in this thread

>fill an entire album with only drums
>still 7/10

how did he do it

It's true.
Also, incest is actually good.

that was actually me what the hell

im actually watching through yr computer screen

yeah
just to be clear, vaporwave is a meaningless genre without artistic value - culture should NOT be reappropriated or messed with in such a way. i hate synthesizers

can confirm, i fucked your mom

t bloop
lmao no way the real accel would make this post nice try co

haha got me

i like bacon and prefer fishmans over tim buckley

Bacon finally good taste

I actually like this general a lot.

Come on dood

Jangle and yamir are my favorite /daily/ users

Half Japanese - Horrible (1982)
>Noise Rock
A chaotic quickie from the fine boys of Half Japanese. Beefheart-agenda-set rock 'n' roll with that trademark Half Jap half-assedness. The lyrics are all depraved and horror-themed, which is cute. Some songs have a neat little groove ("Thing With a Hook," "Vampire") while some just flail about aimlessly ("Don't Go to Bed," "Walk Through Walls").
>5+/10

>Horrible is Horriible
dang...

>5/10 is horrible
niBBa no

I'm completely unmemeable, sorry boys

yeah ok look it's a good point. co and cold are similar and while the meme is fun that could get real fucking annoying.
i'm gonna reverse, and post as dloc now, yeah?

yes you're
simply eric

the urls i post are of reasonable length

you think that's horrible? get a load of this. Worst thing I've heard in a good while:

The KLF - Mu (1996)
>Stadium House, Acid, Instrumental Hip-Hop
It's very unclear how self-aware this isn't. The first track, "3 A.M. Eternal (Live at the S.S.L.)" is not even a real live recordings, so the crowd cheering and rapper/hype man were perhaps included facetiously? "Justified and Ancient (All Bound for Mu Mu Land)" fits in with the band's formative mysticism themes, but does so in the cheesiest way possible. Over an already corny disco/house fusion beat, a pop soul vocal awkwardly croons scripture, hyping up the band as Gods in their own slapdash pseudo-religion, separated by basic rapping and hyping ('bring the beat back!', 'let's go to the bridge now!', 'shake your booty!'). I can't tell if it'd be funnier if this were ironic.

A lot of these beats are actually pretty great too (think 808 State with a bigger sound), they just get swamped by awfully cheesy singing and somehow even worse rapping. Like, why is the best part so low in the mix?
>3/10

sounds like a plan, chief

good cooperation, you got an rym?

Citrus - Wispy, No Mercy (2000)
>Noise Pop
This is bizarre. Chaotic Japanese noise pop is not exactly rare, but the way this EP delivers it is startlingly unique.

The songwriting is bizarre. Within each song, progression is just so scattershot. They're flying all over the place, melodically and stylistically. Like, it's catchy as hell, it's just completely unpredictable.

The production is bizarre. Parts are shoe-gazing noise pop bliss, a sweet symphony of sound, while others are janky and lo-fi. It actually sounds like live and studio recordings were both mashed together in the mix. It's bizarre.
>7/10

yeah man

>rateyourmusic.com/~mittbarns

you?

cology, the study of co

Anyone else here hate writing reviews?

LOL SUP DAILY BOIZ

just added ya, i'm here
rateyourmusic.com/~colderthanoldness

were so close to the finish line on this one
>PC Music x DISown Radio
so much fucking fun. this thing was just off the walls nuts. its full of pitched up vocals, trap hihats, ridiculous tempos, red bull ads, goofy synths, the whole works. its just an all around awesome DJ mix that gives a great taste as to what PC Music is all about. very well may rise to a 4 soon.
3.5+
>Jeff Mangum - Orange Twin Field Works
i agree with the majority that the atmosphere on this is superb, but the music itself didn't capture me that much. there were some moments that were absolutely gorgeous (12 minutes in) but other than that the music was just pretty good. but, again, the atmosphere really raises the mood and feel of this album
>Pram - Helium
man, this feels like something i should love but i just wasnt really feeling it. theres a lot of krautrock-y rhythms on here, and very pretty, psychedelic melodies, lots of subtle experimentations and good orchestration, but i was just kinda bored i guess. i do feel like if i revisit this later on, itll grow on me (or maybe even click). but, for now, it was alright.
3.0-

me desu

im not sure what just went down but this is the real rocky

guess i have to change my tripcode oh wow

Sympathy Nervous - No More Expo (1980)
>Minimal Synth
Viscious lo-fi synth shit from 80s Japan, with an intense rhythmic focus. The tracks on the first half of the album are all really long (pushing 6-7 minutes) and almost tedious for how repetitive they are--they're instead, weirdly hypnotic though, so the time flies. The second half is much shorter, but no softer than the first. It's almost proto-techno with how crazed and hard-hitting it is. The Pink Floyd cover here ("Heart of the Sun") is virtually unrecognizable.
>7-/10

yeah, me
rip

Yeah that's why mine are so shit

one more for my pal

Women - Public Strain (2010)
>Post-Punk, Indie Rock
This isn't as mysterious as the cover would have you believe. Most of the material here boils down to pop songs coated thick in reverby ooze.

Not a terrible aesthetic for these guys. The songs are pretty great; the vocal harmonies evoke Beach Boys-esque effortlessness of motion. "Eyesore," in particular, is kind of a marvel, taking angular melodic turns down a highway to a blissful coda.

Not sure why I put this off for so long.
>7-/10

sup children

it's the new and improved rocky

wow thanks man didn't think you'd do it you're a great /daily/ boy

Wow, I write like crap

i kinda failed at imitating you but its okay it was fun

last one for the night

Active Child - You Are All I See
>Synth Pop
Stately but massive synth pop, built for the stadium. Phil Collins influence is written all over this thing (but that could also be partly by the design of producer Ariel Rechtshaid). Also cool though is the modern classical influences also in the fold. Delicate piano, dulcimers, and synthetic strings play all over these songs, adding an extra layer of faux-sophistication (really in itself its own appreciable aesthetic) to the already rich synthesized textures.

Songs like the cascading pop waltz "Hanging On" are the standouts here (that song in particular), while the worst ("Playing House") are shitty pseudo-pop raps set to synthesizers (think One Direction, extra auto-tuned, with an orchestra of synths backing). Really not sure what they were thinking with that one. The lyrical content throughout is that of somewhat trite anti-love songs, but the mournful, soaring falsetto vocals make up for whatever they're saying.

Dude wears a turtleneck and blazer on stage. Just imagine the kind of music that guy makes.
>6+/10

no it was a fine job. You even did all the commas and shit

fishmans ar egood

no

His music definitely comes off as pretentious, but really

a ginger with an opera falsetto playin harp, doing synthpop

I can't not like it

yeah yeah and i'm back as well

Yeah it was good, and I could see it growing on me too

But for real though what is up with "Playing House"? It literally sounds like Jason Derulo

blame it on How To Dress Well lmao

muh James Blake clone

Is That You Co-Wayne
Is This Me

>Mfw music isn't jazz

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments

The Melvins successfully blend punk, metal, and a touch of psychedelic rock on Gluey Porch Treatments. A handful of the trademarks of the genre they are famous for pioneering, Sludge Metal, is the use of guitar feedbacking, the occasional off key note, and drawly shouted vocals , Buzzo uses these to great effect throughout this album. Tempo switches mid song from hardcore to stoned out doom metal ones. Some of the songs on here, such as the titular “Gluey Porch Treatments,” are below one minute in length, but they certainly don’t feel like it.
Strong 4

The United States of America - s/t

I was immediately surprised when hearing this album just how ahead of its time it was in so many ways. There’s still a heavy presence of classic rock and roll tropes of course, but the keys and even bass work in the album can get pretty far out, man. Noisy hits, droning parts in the back that almost sound out of key, phasers all over, and plenty more quintessentially psychedelic effects. They even have a violinist, an electric one specifically, which adds even more to their sonic personality. A must listen for anyone vaguely a fan of psychedelic music.
Honestly this is incredible. strong 4.5 I think, maybe even a 5

Fuck yes boiiiiiiiii

this counts as being co

what are some of the 10/10s and 5/5s to come out of daily over the last few months?

Hey /daily/ buds! It's Jacob Hutto from the Bandcamp threads. I just put out two new albums (both of them contain some little help from Bearsain one or another), and I hope you guys will like them.

Jacobhutto.bandcamp.com

Apologies if you don't like me spamming this. Only time I'll do it anywhere outside Bandcamp threads.

this

as in someone here giving something a 10? zane does it every other thread lmao

like new albums?

term, and I, and I think trip up now, all have pic related as our aotysf

>it's another "new jacob hutto album" episode

not even wrong but hey, that means they're having a good time
I was going to say Jouska sounded really cool because you used a phone call recording and played another version of the recording delayed behind the first

but then i realized i had two of the bandcamp page open

yerd
i think flicewiz as well

jk my dude i'll listen soon

Actually liking music is a sign of low intelligence.

>Actually liking music is a sign of low intelligence.

so is visiting Sup Forums but that don't stop me

aveytare.com/sound/BacKground-ocean-sm.mp3

HmmMMmMmmMmMMMM

it's good
meeting of the waters esque but more collagey and sample-based and makes me think of sung tongs kind of

reviewed or post here or do you mean 10/10s by daily people?
cause if so this is my latest 10/10
probably some of the most interesting jpop in recent times. It's to be expected coming from a member of avandoned. I actually should retake reviewing but nobody read them and they were trash so eh

damn i am retard

No you're not. We all make mistakes, it's okay.

a-arigato go-gozaimasu

that sounded terrible

lmao this Car Seat Headrest/Teen Suicide beef is hilarious considering they basically make the same music

Career Suicide

did u listen to it or r u memeing

Sampha - Process (2017)
>alternative R&B

There is some amazing production on here, especially in the more frenetic, busy tracks. "Kora Sings" and it's addictive, technicolor production is one of the best songs I've heard all year, and "Timmy's Prayer" isn't far behind. Sampha's strengths might lie mainly in production, but his singing is great as well, very much in that same ghostly James Blake-esque register. The slower songs are where this album really takes a dive. There's nothing bad about them, but there's nothing good about them either, they're just slow, plodding piano ballads without any really memorable features. An album that focuses on Sampha's production would be wonderful, as is this is still pretty nice.

2.5+

Paramore - After Laughter (2017)
>new wave, alternative dance

This Talking Heads-lite style is so popular now, and it's weird to see Paramore doing it better than anything else. Williams' charismatic vocals lead every single track here, even the ones that aren't that great. Technically she is a great singer, and she holds her own on ballads, but the tracks where she lets loose over more colorful instrumentation are the album's best. Both of the singles and "Grudges" are damn fine pop tracks, but the band does get stuck in a bit of a rut over the rest of the album. It tends to repeat itself rather often production wise, and the songwriting can sometimes seem quite weak when compared to the sound itself. I still gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

heh

noice i'll check these out soon

do jens next :3

I listened to it
not for long though, yuck

>unironically says yuck
yuck

>>yuck
>yuck

Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika (1983)
>mande music

This is really damn pretty, if too one-note in its approach. Diawara occasionally re-uses some melodic lines in his playing, and I guess it can't entirely sustain a whole album, but god, it's some damn expressive, emotional, beautiful playing. The balafon playing is gorgeous too, I love the way that instrument sounds. The whole album is also very meditative and free-flowing, which adds to the appeal. I'm not as burnt up about this as some people are, but I still really like it.

3.0+

Hallelujah Chicken Run Band - Take One (2006)
>jit

Once again, very one-note and with some songs that don't really hit their mark, but it's feel-good pop through and through. The guitar work here is great, it's poppy and simple but still really groovy and rhythmic, and the call and response vocals are great. The relatively simple percussion is nice as well, most songs just use either or a shaker or a repeated hi-hat and it works really well. Some really great stuff spread over a slightly bloated package.

3.0+

ahyuck

Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends (1968)
>folk pop, folk rock

They tap into a really damn cool sound on a couple songs here. The first three tracks are unreasonably good. "Bookends Theme" is just a little instrumental guitar piece that would be uneventful on its own right, but the way it just crashes into the over-the-top, noisy "Save the Life of My Child", is amazing. That track is really something else, it's S&G's attempt at acid-fried psych rock, high-pitched synths and all, and it somehow works incredibly well. "America" brings the album back to more typical territory, but it does that in a wonderful with one of the band's prettiest and most evocative songs. From there on, the quality dips. "Fakin' It" is another upbeat psych-ish number that also works weirdly well, and "Mrs. Robinson" is, well, "Mrs. Robinson", but the rest is pretty standard S&G fare.

>do jens next :3
u got it

yuck all you want but it's a million times better than Sondre Lerche

>there's always a line for the girls' bathroom

explain this atheists

women have 3-4 toilets in cubicles
men have 2 toilets and a troft to stand side by side and piss into
troft can hold 3-4 people depending on how close they're willing to stand to each other
maths

YES

YES YES YES YES SO MUCH

it's this or fleet foxes for my AOTY, idk if it's a 10 but it's REALLY fucking close

HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE?

not sure if i prefer this or n e w o x b o w but yeah this one's definitely gonna end on my top 5 of the year, it's really fucking good, the back end of the album needs to grow on me a bit more but the rest i am entirely sold on

good to see you rocko

Wow this was so forgettable I actually have to relisten to it because I have no memory of my track on here

What's good?

You

Gee, thanks user!

good morn /daily/
just woke up, hbu

i mean, it's not a 5/5, but nat gave goodbye babylon a 4.5, that was fun

it's an amazing album for sure
next to NEW OXBOW and "my wife died: the album" it's one of my AOTY contenders

Stay woke. Me I just had lunch.

Jangle&Bojangle - 4.33

>Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi del presente
Not bad but not much good here, empty moods that are empty in delivery. I do really like the sounds and so much more could of been done with them.
5+/11

>Andrew Hill - Compulsion
The first minute of this had me interested into what this was going to become, however nothing else came of it besides meandering. - I still don't like jazz and especially not free jazz.
4+/11

>David Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds
Mostly the same as above, except a bit more focused with it's playing but lacking the calm tense drum-free interludes on Compulsion.
4+/11

Was hoping to like Dialoghi more but oh well.
Jimmy Jazz next.