Sup Forums, I spend several nights a week as a costumed crimefighter in a major eastern city

Sup Forums, I spend several nights a week as a costumed crimefighter in a major eastern city.

Ask me anything

no you don't.
go to bed john.

do you have a arch enemy super villain to fight yet?

No, and it's weird.
It really blows my mind that more people don't try the 'costumed villain' shtick. I mean dudes use masks or whatever and have street names, but that's not quite the same.

Now and then I'll hear that someone wants a piece of me, but it's never long-lasting or anything personal.

what is your costume anyway, and whats your hero name?

I've changed both a couple times. A lot of people keep a name because they like the fame or think it creates a certain mystique, but I've found that it's harder for people to give you a problem if you don't have a specific identity.

My very first name was, and I cringe as I write this, "Midnight Angel".

My costume changes based on various factors: if I want to shed my current persona, the weather/temperature, if I'm just planning on 'scouting' or actually expecting real action, if I'm going to be technically trespassing or not, if I'm going to be unmasking and going "undercover" or not, etc.

It's usually mostly black, which probably isn't surprising. I do sometimes use a logo just so I don't 100% look like a generic bank robber. When I have tools and stuff, I use belts and bandoliers. I have various sorts of 'armor' that I sometimes wear on top of or beneath the outer layers, too.

bump

bump

bumping

How have you not been shot yet? Either by a criminal or the cops thinking you're there to rob the place?

Let me correct you.
What you do every night is post and make shitty threads on Sup Forums... the end.

dosent mean you cant play along to this guys thread.

Believe it or not, no. I have been shot at once definitely, and I -think- a second time but it's possible I'm wrong.

The time I'm sure about was very frightening, and happened fairly early on. I stayed in for a while after that.

I know some of the cops and stay out of the way. Most of them don't like me or others like me very much, some think it's funny, a couple like us in that they see we're just another resource like an informant.

So do you have a signature weapon or something? Or are you a martial artist?

Favorite gadgets? I bet a police scanner is a good way to tell when to get out of somewhere.

What city

I have a variety of things: pepper spray variations, tasers are usually along for the ride. I always have at least one collapsible baton, sometimes two. I've experimented with SAP gloves but don't quite like the feel. I used to carry caltrops but wound up never having a need for them, and by nature they aren't super-fun or easy to carry.

Police scanners are great, and everything being an app makes life easier. Twitter can be very helpful in doing research and sometimes in big events as-they-happen.

I am trained in martial arts, yes, but keep in mind that what I do isn't Batman stuff. We're basically more on-the-ground, unpaid versions of PIs who do stuff freelance and occasionally get a little hands-on. If I know a bad guy is in X house, I'm not going to risk my head busting in like an idiot and eating a bullet- I'll just take all the information I can before tipping off the police.

pics of costume? Any news articles about you or people like you in your area? I want to believe.

Let's say I wanted to get into the costume life. What should I do to get started?

Cardio and martial arts seem like a safe bet, medical training sounds like something that would make it easier to not die. After that, am I just a reinforced leather jacket and a baton away, or would I need to cultivate some contacts to make sure I get more than one run out of this?

East coast, north of the mason-dixon, large.

There have been a couple small articles and a youtube video I've been in or been talked about in. If you dig around enough you'll probably put 2 and 2 together.

No pics this time. Maybe some SMALL ones another night.

You know yourself, so decide what you're best suited to. Be honest, even if it hurts. If you're not fit enough to be climbing and running and shit and don't think you can maintain that kind of fitness, that's fine - work mostly online and undercover, or find one of us and pair off with you being the intel/tactics/brains.

Get fit. Real fit. Some guys want to get built like tanks, but my experience says you want to be lean. Stay real flexible - take yoga and stretch a lot. Focus on stamina, core strength, agility, speed. Those things will give you enough strength to make any punches or kicks pack plenty of power, and mixing it up hand-to-hand is actually really rare and should be a last resort anyway.

Learn the area. I mean everything. Roofs and sewers and everything in-between. Learn the public transport schedule, learn the neighborhoods, learn police shifts, learn everything you can.

Knowing some medical stuff is good, though more for others than yourself. CPR, basic triage, etc. It also may be wise to pick up conversational Spanish(or if another language is prevalent, that one).

Contacts help. Resist the urge to tell people, even if you're super sure about them. Cultivate your sources while in-costume and never trust them 100%. Always have an exit strategy, both physically and less tangibly.

Spend a lot of time just being around the city just as a normal person. Go to the bars and clubs, ride the public transports, sit at parks, etc. Get to know the feel of individual locations and streets, note familiar faces, business owners, homeless, etc.

I am your nemiscus! Arch Gurbis Gubiscus! You stand no chance, sir.

this is my crime fighting costume.