youtu.be/rpaonSDPw7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jzBwZiNOqDQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not an American one that's for sure

Objective choice

Justify this

this

not kidding

American Rap is considered based on its lyrical content often without any consideration at all for how it actually sounds.

Madvillain has some Jazz and quirk in the background of some rhyming wordplay that makes almost no sense, it just sounds good. But people automatically think it's GOAT because, well, they're idiots who don't know anything about music.

Meanwhile a culture like Britain always produces music with the sound, the counterpoint carefully considered. So Grime is based more on an MC who can create rhythmically compelling phrases lyrical content be damned.

JME - Integrity is indeed a better album than Madvillain because it's musically better conceived and also not pretentious.

u are retard

yeah this is what I expected from a Rap thread, low-functioning posters

Not going to feed any trolls unless someone can actually retort my post

God I hate tripfags.

solid arguments, really helping rap stereotypes

In a genre like hip-hop where lyrics are at the forefront so often, shouldn't that be a factor in how the quality of the music is judged? Shouldn't we judge it for what it is? Also, I don't understand how Madvillainy is pretentious.

>In a genre like hip-hop where lyrics are at the forefront so often
>a genre like hip-hop where lyrics
>hip-hop
>lyrics
oh WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW m8

yeah this is what I expected from a boldfaure post, low-functioning posters

Not going to feed any trolls unless someone can actually retort my post

Are you seriously that braindead that you think Hip-Hop is vocal music.

I want to make sure: have you ever listened to a single /bleep/ record? Do you know what Hip-Hop is?

I don't know enough about rap but probably OP

youtu.be/5B_-EvJpUDU
youtu.be/rpaonSDPw7Y

I know the surface level meaning I guess, "a style of popular music of US black and Hispanic origin, featuring rap with an electronic backing.". I don't know too much about /bleep/ though.

If you don't even like hip hop why the fuck even bother attempting to contribute? Is it so you can come back later and jerk off to your pretentious pseudo intellectualism?

Hip-Hop and Rap are not the same thing. Rap was something that arose from Hip-Hop and dance records. You would have parties with the record playing, and then SOMETIMES an MC would make the crowd feel good with affirmative phrases. You can see this in Grime, where the "rapper" (MC) is not trying to promote themselves as much as the music itself and the vibes herein.

In America though, the masses are generally ignorant which means lyrics gain more preference over music.

OP said "rap" which does take into account the vocal aspect

if we level the playing field to a production dependant genre, grime still leaves MUCH to be desired in terms of musicality and even "catchiness" from a production standpoint.

Grime isn't perfect, sure, but I think the raw compositional components of it are stronger than American Rap.

You don't see a ridiculous level of sampling preference, for instance; you also see a more focused and deliberate application of rhythm and harmony. You don't see a series of Jazz chords poorly and lazily voiced.

I honestly find the idea of you accusing Madvillain of being pretentious after having written THAT paragraph hilarious. 10/10 shitpost m8

Ok, fine, take my original post and replace "hip-hop" with "rap". What do you think of it then? Since American hip-hop (more often than not) accompanies rapping, hip-hop music with rapping should take into consideration how good the lyrics are. In the case of Madvillainy (not my favorite hip-hop album btw), the lyrics are clever, and as you say they "just sound good". In that case, shouldn't the quality/sound of those lyrics be included?

I'm convinced you're joking now

10/10 argument, kid.
Well that's why I said in MY original post "not an American one"
JME has fun wordplay but what makes him convincing is his preciseness of rhythm and how he ties in with the production of an unpredictable track like Pulse8.

lmao OK kid, you go ahead and make some really "deep" beats like FlyLo that just rehash Fusion cliches. I'm sure pretentious hipsters will think you're really great.

>rehash Fusion cliches
like what? I'm genuinely curious

You're going to honestly tell me FlyLo's chord progressions sound totally original, and not just ripped straight from Mahavishnu records

oy vey my friend another gullible fuck's come ashore

No, I'm not going to tell you anything, given that I asked you to name a single specific cliche that FlyLo rehashes.

I named one, chord progressions.
Plenty of You're Dead! Is just trying to ape Bitches Brew texture too like that one forgettable fucking single with Herbie on it

(Herbie's good though)

>JME
>Good
What is this low quality bait

what chord progression exactly?

You're honestly going to tell me that FlyLos claim to brilliance lies mostly in his progressions?

Hahahahaha exactly what I expected
>What specific pointilistic texture by Webern does Stockhausen use? Measure number please
>What specific rhythmic technique does John Adams use from Stravinsky? Don't say "His Primitivism" give me a specific measure

Kid, if you can't retort my claims then do your own research until we can have a conversation. Otherwise, stop pretending like your P4k-core is all super original.

youtube.com/watch?v=jzBwZiNOqDQ

If you can't prove your own claim then I have no reason to believe you. I never claimed that FlyLo was super original (regardless I'll still enjoy his music), but the burden of proof is on you since you made the positive claim.

If your definition of original is "shares no similarities with any earlier work" then the mind boggles as to who you don't think is a hack

Well see my examples of Stockhausen and Adams are different, because they actually transfigured their influences into just that, influences. Not just "Fusion but with a FL Studio beat"

Ignoring your meaningless anti laptop producer buzzword, is there something wrong with reinterpreting Fusion sounds with more modern production? It's not like FlyLo is just adding some shitty side chain a stock 4/4 beat and calling it Electro-Jazz
And forgive me for not knowing much about classical composers, but in that case your greentexting was pretty fucking irrelevant if they're not the same thing

OK to be clear, I think Cosmogramma is pretty novel. That's a much better and tasteful mixture of Hip-Hop and Fusion or Fusion elements.

But You're Dead is just watered-down ripoff.

I greentexted them because in musicology you don't have to fucking cite that specifically unless you're writing an actual thesis/dissertation on the topic.

Grime is based off of Raga and Dub and only a smidgen of Hip-Hop...you fucking mong.

When it's all said and done, it will be this

His arrangements post Cosmogramma are an extension of Alice Coltrane his aunt.