US Nuclear Launch Silos still run on XP and floppy disks

>US Nuclear Launch Silos still run on XP and floppy disks

wtf?

qz.com/602928/floppy-disks-and-windows-xp-nuclear-weapon-technology-is-hilariously-out-of-date/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=knDIENvBTgw
abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-wrench-nuclear-bases/story?id=26916107
youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515598/Launch-code-US-nuclear-weapons-easy-00000000.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you may enjoy pic related

Would you really want to be the one responsible for changing out all the nuclear launch silo computers with updated machines? No one else does either. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm not certain, but I think a lot of the ICBMs still have electromechanical guidance systems. Probably really well designed though. Why fix what isn't broken?

I bet you didn't know they're also disconnected from the internet. There's a reason they use archaic technology you dunce.

True, can't hack the GPS that way.

And?

Should they be running on twitter, facebook and unicorn farts?

>disconnected from the internet

lol, I would fucking hope so. It's not like you'd want to allow people to VPN in to launch a nuclear warhead while working from home.

The launch silos could all run on an Apple ][ and it wouldn't matter.

Their job is to not launch until they're definitely sure they must launch, and then they launch.

it would be impossible to launch a nuke using only the internet, need launch keys, 2 man team, bunch of other shit as well
video kind of relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=knDIENvBTgw

>that's what they call out of date
>meanwhile the last warhead the US made was in '88
>demoshits including Obama cried and stopped the RRW program from going forward because 'NO NEW NOOKS'

also SKYNET

"Hilariously out of date"
You'll find most similar systems around the world using operating systems much older than XP. In this case there is no reason to upgrade from XP, Vista, 7, and 10 are all far more consumer oriented and don't provide any benefit in this case. Many rail and marine systems still use windows 95 and 98, or even DOS.

>thinking they haven't been building/testing new designs
>thinking they haven't kept the actual weapons up to date

Its like you niggas think these are your fucking netbooks and you can stab a USB in its tech-pussy and pop a load of fresh jewstained softwarecum in it.

nice

makes for tech jobs don't it

you can still do this and not run it on DOS 3.0

btw the government spends millions a year trying to source old floppy disks from recyclers becuz nobody manufactures them anymore. lol

they actually have multiple guidance inputs, but its primarily inertial guidance (laser rings). Old cruise missiles used a mix of astronavigation to watch navigational stars and terrain matching.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Reliability is what you are after not a gaming rig.

I worked on!a 50 million dollar research vessal that used win95. It did what they wanted.

>playing defcon on a nuclear gaming rig

Fund it

>Worldwide banking infrastructure still runs on COBOL and 1960s computers

wtf?

Tech is expensive and time consuming to upgrade.

>Thinking anything outside of SLBM matters in the nuclear triad

Oh yeah let's give it Windows 10 so you can use the Netflix app on it xDDDDD

Our nuclear arsenal is a criminally dangerous boondoggle desu

>posting clickbait

>try to hack nuke silo
>can't find a floppy to upload your virus on
america 1: terrorists: 0

>XP

With trillions of dollars at least the military would write their own OS...

but its true

and sorry if I cant remember the billions of clickbait urls

Lots of chemical plants still have analog systems. Fucking analog.
It's only a problem anyway if it's hackable.

jej

They are built to do VERY specific tasks. They don't need a 64 bit meme-machine to manage the systems involved. Also, upgrading that shit is fucking expensive and can be difficult to implement. The last thing a bunch of operators want is to have to report on a bunch of failures and bugs that are a natural part of system upgrades because the public thinks they need cortana on their weapon system.

am i doing something wrong?

should I go get my old commodore II from the junk yard?

this x1000000000

From what I hear in the industry, one of the main providers of uranium for the western world (Cameco) has been working on a new enrichment initiative for a couple years that is promising. Aiming for 5-10x enrichment over the current centrifuge method.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the development from that goes into a next-generation warhead.

>installing the windows 10 botnet onto your top secret nuclear missile silo computers
Stupid burger.

>wtf?
Never touch a running system.

XP is GOAT

I trust that old wired hardware more than new tech which can be hacked remotely

microsoft is basically a CIA front company

so is google

Many critical, high uptime systems still run on old technology. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

So what? Our entire banking system more or less runs on COBOL and Fortran. We wrote it a long time ago, it works very well, and if we decided to change it and it broke then it would fuck a lot of very important things up. So why bother?

For a long time, there was exactly one wrench that could be used to install/remove missile warheads. It was Fedexed between bases as needed.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-wrench-nuclear-bases/story?id=26916107

harder to hack. Everyone who knows those coding languages are dead

icbms' aren't the main nuclear Deterrence,
sub launched missles are.I don't know what the navy uses now but it wasn't windows when I was in

>change over to Windows 10
>bill gates threatens to nuke the world unless Linux is destroyed

IS THIS THE FUTURE YOU WANT

Anybody who has ever worked in any part of the nuclear industry will tell you that you cannot imagine how long it would take and how much it would cost to upgrade something like this.

What camera was filming that gif?

>old outdated tech
>not super hyper advanced technology that they get from area 51

There is no way in hell WMDs are using the same type of software my old piece of shit comptuer uses.

You're guarding what is literally the most powerful weapon of mankind and you're using fucking floppies?

No reason to change it when it still works.

Windows XP is actually pretty fucking reliable and I'd trust my nation's nuclear weapon supply on it than Windows 10.

is it true velcro came from area 51? from roswell

I worked for a bank for a little while. We have mainframes that have been running, uninterrupted, for almost 30 years.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

the code is

just a heads up

That's better than China. In order to launch they have to run out to the missle and light the fuze.

You don't need a fancy GUI, networking or connectivity features. If it's on a completely closed network with very simple commands a technology from 2000s is just fine. These sites worked just fine in the 70s-80s. In some situations you want something simple as possible, the more complex you make it the more avenues of failure you can create.

Another example is most of the US national power grid relies on those 'big drum' radio repeaters you see on tops of hills. Very old shit but it works and it's closed to them.

This article is retarded and bait to attract pseudo-techie millennials oblivious of the real world

this desu senpai

Reminds me of this company that makes its money basically making PDP-11 clones, mostly for defense and nuclear power plants.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense when you consider that a lack of complexity makes for better security. PDP-11s don't evolve. No one is doing anything all that profoundly new with them anymore. It's pretty fucking hard at this point to introduce more bugs into the system.

By contrast, imagine how unsafe you'd feel if we were kept safe computers manufactured in China running on Windows 8, constantly reminding the operator of the benefits of upgrading to Windows 10. Or maybe they can run on Linux and get compromised because some fuckface wrote some code at 3 AM that causes a stack overflow given some very specific but certainly plausible conditions.

/thread
No need to fix what's not broken.

So at my shitty bookstore job I work in between classes, the company upgraded our systems from Windows XP with Java interfaces (p sure. Not some aspie CS Major) to flashy ass Windows ten running some new bullshit.

The old system rarely had any problems. This new shit crashes all the damn time and clocking in literally takes five minutes to do. It's a complete clusterfuck when you can't take debits cards for an hour on the first day of school.

Could you imagine the shit show working the bugs out of that system?

IDK

but it was from 1968 Nevada Test Range shots

Nah. I think it's models. Why the stick in the middle that is ok? Why does the dust recede at the end? And most of all, how is this being filmed while not disturbing the camera? What kind of materials if any was it wrapped in and still see through? I don't think this was ever explained properly

The operations are not complex, but they MUST be reliable.

The tech is proven and meets requirements. Why change it.

Its the same with voting. Paper voting has been refined and perfected over centuries, digital voting systems are absurdly vulnerable to tampering.

youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Modern systems are far more complex and have a far larger range of potential vulnerabilities.

They only need the system to do one thing, why integrate it with control systems with such a large attack surface for no good reason.

Update the systems and keep them closed off from the outside . No outside network connection , no wifi. Shit aint hard to do.

>Why isn't the greatest destructive force on the planet connected to The Cloud (TM)?
I didn't know Chinese cyberops posted here

>more complex, more points of failure
>newer isn't always better, sometimes older is more reliable
>if it ain't broke or capable of breaking, don't fix it.

Shut up.

>tech firms worst nightmare
>old stuff just as valid

>progress is good!
>country is handing over capital to mudslimes

Yes, bong, running forward into the brave new world is always the right decision.

Considering that Microsoft is sabotaging everyone's 7,8 and xp computers to convince us to get botnet 10, the military isn't planning on updating shit.

their encrypted versions of shit like microsoft ce is like a whole other system entirely. it works because the redundant normal microsoft shit has been replaced

>Trump decides to take executive action as commander in chief and nuke the Middle East
>everything is outdated
>all launches fail and detonate while leaving the silo
>triggers Yellowstone
>USA literally explodes

so then...

thats the mark for safety in this infoage?

>botnet 10

Is this just a Sup Forums meme or is it true? Windows is always asking me to update to 10 (for free!!!1), and it seems pretty suspect.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515598/Launch-code-US-nuclear-weapons-easy-00000000.html

>why

cuz money

its cheaper to blow shit up
then model it from simulation.

turn off that update feature before its too late and does it itself

Not when you're trying to lie like this
Just put an ipad on there with some gum. Oops. People are starting to think this launch code is a bit ridiculous. Put some uranium. Hit it with a hammer. Kablammo. Nah.

we cant allow a mine shaft gap!!!!!!!!

My shit has felt slower ever since windows started asking me to "upgrade". I personally don't trust it. Go ask Sup Forums if you want a deeper answer, but Sup Forums has more shills than fucking reddit, so getting a truthful reply will require patience.

Also they actually do leave backdoors open and check your files frequently. I'm not doing anything illegal, but its the fact that they hide these searches using a " system restart". It forces you to update and it's fucking annoying.

I own a nexus 5, it will restart without notice, without a proper notification, without consent and it does it at seemingly random times everyday throughout the day. Microsoft has gone full on big brother and they don't bother hiding the fact.

If they were less intrusive then I'd be fine. But fuck they had to be as annoying and frustrating as possible.

wut?

nuclear bombs make things go boom

what are u contesting?

That it sounds like we're putting pancake poweder in one cylinder (uranium but super speshul enriched uranium) and another cylinder but empty both inside another cylinder and then we drop it on the floor and one thing bounces off of nothing and goes hyper. Nah.

you might just be the dumbest person who ever lived

so your denying nuclear bombs were exploded over US territory?

becuz that shit is really real.

Go in mine. Get uranium. "Isolate the isotopes". This changes uranium into Kryptonite. Then sit on it and bust your ass to jupiter. It's such bullshit

>Oh noes, our missile silos run on the best version of Windows ever released.
The federal government isn't touching Win10 with a 10 foot pole and they are right not to.

>Implying XP wasn't the best Windows
As for floppys though, yeah, that's just bad form.

ummmmmmmmmmmm

Wow who would have known dot com was so deadly

Isn't it connected to the internet too? Just why?

>I think a lot of the ICBMs still have electromechanical guidance systems.
That's true, but ONLY because even after 70 goddamn years of ballistic missile R&D, PIGAs are STILL the most precise form of accelerometer.

Newer, more connected technology, has many vulnerabilities. Maintaining a simplified system that functions correctly is perfectly reasonable, as long as the systems are not deteriorating.

In short, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

What is the blue dot at the very top? Energy? So. Basically. What I said was to sit on it and it'll send you to the moon. I am the blue dot. It is mine ass

>derbs

it was pretty cool

can't hack it

a neutron

A neutron

Where are the neutrons in a bomb?

They use a neutron source, Usually Polnium 210 releases alpha particles which reacts with Beryllium

they happen after the [redacted] has an implosion from a vector of [redacted]

Heat can turn hydrogen into neutrons which would then explode it but there are hydrogen bombs and then there are these riff raff bombs. Makes me think it's all retarded. Put some enriched uranium on the hindinberg and destroy an island. Nah.