The death penalty. Do you support it or do you not support it?

The death penalty. Do you support it or do you not support it?
I'll give a reason in the form of an explanation as to why I don't support it but we can be civilized and discuss this matter after wards:
The "closure" aspect for when families come to see the death of a killer that claimed one of their loved ones. After the killer dies the family have a brief moment of happiness knowing the killer is gone, but very quickly afterwards come back to the grim reality that they're loved one is still dead and nothing will bring them back. Why does another person need to die in order for people to understand it will equate to nothing?

Yes. There is no greater injustice than to let someone live after they've taken a life.

mods

Lekker neuken

too much margin for error. one innocent person executed is one too many.
if the killer admits to the crime and actually wants to die, then sure, go hog wild

I do support the death penalty. For people that are going to be locked away for life it is a waste of money to keep them alive. However for reasons regarding faith an option should be open for the family of the murdered/ raped person if they want the criminal killed

For what purpose and gain is to kill them? Literally nothing

fucking bingo. 1 innocent person being killed is enough in my eyes. That poor fucker could be any one of us, even me.

Since its a lot less expensive than state sanctioned murder, I'm of the prison for life route, with solitary confinement for killers and pedos who are proven guilty beyond doubt.

exactly this. I have no problem with executing somebody who chopped up a whole family. but legal systems can be inaccurate

Depends i have heard it cost's more to sucessfully execute someone then life in prison.
For people who do really fucked up shit and really deserve to die though they should not have seperate safe cells for them.
JUst toss them in general pop and let them handle it. Even cold blooded killers look down on say a child rapist/murderer and will take care of them.

Justice, as the post states.

Hold on, the guy commits the crime and then get's to fucking leave (i.e. die)? Why should he be able to get away? It's just like the guy committing suicide before going to trial, it ain't fair. Let him ACTUALLY pay before offing his head

Why does the fucker get to leave earth before actually paying for his crimes? Break his sanity so he begs for death and then don't give it to him.

That's retribution, not justice.

That's wierd though, that prison hierarchy I mean. Cold blooded murderers and then child rapists.

Close enough

I do, but not for the reasons most support it for. I could care less about justice or being a deterant to commit horrible crimes. For me it all comes down to money. If you give somebody who commits henous acts a prolonged jail sentance you are basically putting them on a semi permanent government welfare. People who go to jail get three meals a day, they are clothed, they are kept in good physical condition, they get rehabilitation therapy and hell they even get to take college/university courses all on the government dole. Not to mention the court costs where appeals are concerned. My view is anybody who is convicted of 1st degree murder, sexual assual, or any crime that victimises children should be executed because they dont deserve that type of investment in them.

I have no problem with retribution, as long as it's able to be proven without a single shadow of a doubt.

I'm not for it.

I'd rather we toss them in the pit like what was in dark night rises. Except no escape possibility and only others with the same crimes get dumped there. No frills other than a suicide pill they can take whenever. Take all their assets before jail and liquidate then award to defendants family or the state to pay for the legal costs. No visitors, no outside, just a dark boring pit.

Which is perfectly fine, I was just answering OP with why I support it. A lot of people believe in retribution and this isn't exactly something that has a right answer, it's just what we want to do as a society.

The Cleveland Murderer deserved to pay for his crimes with death, we shouldn't need to take care trash like that but the fucker killed himself before anyone had the satisfaction of killing him. But I understand that killing him is not bringing back the victims he's killed

It's only good if used correctly. People who's lives are of no use to society. Killing a killer makes you no different than the killer. Until society as a whole can escape the shakles of animal instinct and evolve the consciousness to a higher level of being, we need to get rid of the waste that keeps us there. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We literally need to manipulate the evil out of our DNA and bioengineer robotics as part of our bodies. Become self building androids.

Deterant for others that may consider similar crimes.

Not a great reason, it's been shown to not affect crimes over the millenia.

That's like dining and dashing if you just kill'em off then and there. It won't be like a trip to hotel, it's prison nothing more needs to be said.

Because I'd rather pay to have someone who commited a heinous crime suffer for the rest of their lives. Death is a release. It would be too good for them.

Niether has killing them off either. If the death penalty was as successful as you say, it would be reinstated a lot more.

Bingo! Why let them leave peacefully when you can make it absolute hell for them

Im not sure what its like where you are from but for the country that i live in prison is basically focused on rehabilitating a criminal so they wont commit crime again, the punishment aspect isnt focused on as much. The food they eat is on par with the food you would get in a hospital

>get away
this guy does not get it.

I have mixed feelings. I would definitely support the death penalty if I had more faith in the criminal justice system to make absolutely sure no innocent person is wrongly convicted.
Also, I think we should get rid of lethal injection and go back to firing squad. It's cheaper and probably quicker and less painful. There's only like 3 states that still offer firing squad, even though the Supreme Court has ruled that each state has to have 2 ways to execute, not just injection.

Yes. We need to make it cheap again though

I was saying exactly that, it is not succesful at stopping the crimes. Defenders of the capital punishment bring up the deterant idea, but murders and executions have gone on for thousands of years and evidently has not been a great deterant.

What is morality though? While not making the decision myself, I'm agreeing with it. It's causing suffering to a human being. I'm fine with it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to cause suffering to an inocent person.

Shit's too gray.

So much better than imprisoning people for life for no reason

The vast majority of murders aren't even charged under the death penalty you tard.

As long as they shoot off the limbs one at a time before killing the person, I am okay with the firing squad option. Just let them have a little bit of pain before dying.

Rofl, I watched some jail show a year ago and it focused on people that commit crimes just to go to jail and get all the amenities.

These are generally poor and homeless. Might be gay too so as to not mind the butt rape in jail.

As said earlier, they get fed, clothed, shelter, entertainment, education, medical care.

I'm strongly in favour of the death penalty. There are just some people who do not need to be alive. They'll never get better. They'll never be of value to the world. "Oh you raped and killed a three year old because you have a mental illness? I'm really sorry you lost the genetic lottery, better luck in your next life."

The problem is that our system isn't nearly accurate enough to take a life. We regularly send the wrong people to jail. I'm not saying we need a 100% accurate system; I'm happy to accept that one in a thousand might be a wrongful conviction. But right now it's way too high to be comfortable with.

Pretty sure the victims would've been begging for their lives before they died too, sooo might as well let hem feel that same pain

Almost all inmates on death row try to appeal their sentence. So I'm guessing that's because prison is so much worse then knowing your gonna die. I don't think so, its because for once they aren't in control anymore and they are scared.

Then your very argument supports the exact opposite position.

It costs an order of magnitude MORE to execute someone than to house and feed them for the rest of their natural life.

So if your reason is a purely economical one in terms of saving money for the state, then the only option is to abolish capital punishment.

This, but depending on where you are, prison is either great or fucking horrible

And it has happened, which is why I can't support capital punishment. The idea seems just, but evidence is often flawed and the courts are imperfect. The state killing an innocent person is murder.

It only costs so much more because we insist on appeals processes that take a million years, and an execution process that has a half dozen doctors involved.

A death sentence should cost as much as a single bullet.

>eye for an eye

What? You some kind of bible thumper?

Death row inmates are almost always segregated from general population. So for them it don't really matter, they are just afraid of dying imo.

Post more ladies while also posting your opinion

Your opinions are shit. If we didn't have the lengthy appeals process even more innocent people would be wrongly executed.

I don't support any physically permanent punishment. There is always that tiny chance that it could happen to someone innocent and that's enough fault.

This goes for the idea of mutilating burglars or convicted rapists as well. What if they turn out innocent down the line? That's a innocent life ruined. A hand or dick they can't grow back, a life that can't be restored.

At the very least, a guy in prison can still have a shot at reclaiming life even if the system in most countries doesn't allow for that.

i honestly dont care if an innocent man is wrongly killed its just further proof that the us justice system is broken and needs to be fixed badly

>says the justice system is broken and needs fixing
>doesn't care if innocent people are killed
wat

It is a deterrent to crime and provides revenge and closure to the families of the victims. Although I only believe it should be used when there is no shadow of a doubt that the person committed the crime.

Prisoners in death row spents 23 hours a day in their cells so they are (trying) to break they're mind.

Keeping someone imprisoned forever is very expensive. They should just be executed and cremated, out of everyone's hair. If the occasional innocent person is killed, oh well.

At the same time though, the concept of justice is just primitive bullshit, utterly empty and pointless. The death penalty should be a purely pragmatic affair.

*their

What in the case of faked evidence? Most overturned cases are a result of fraudulent proof being exposed.

If that "proof" however was decisive enough you'd still have a dead guy.

I'm for it and think we should not only bring it back, but bring back public executions as well.
Fuck criminal shitbags.
>b-but what if he's innocent
Sometimes good people get fucked, it's just the way of the world.

I'm talking like mass shootings with video and multiple witnesses and also the guy also talks to Al-Qaeda on the internet kind of evidence. I think it might be overused now but it definitely has a place in the justice system as a just punishment for the worst crimes.

I support it in rare cases.

I would kill any criminal who actually murdered and there was hard, incontrovertible evidence that it was them that did it.

I would do it to chronic criminals as well provided the same evidence.

Why do we want them to be part of society? They've taken the future of others. Why should I feel guilty about taking theirs?

>bring back public executions as well.
I think this is a slippery slope to lynchings, but I would be in favor of putting people in stocks again. Judges who use public shaming have seen great results.

>death penalty
>not a significant crime deterrent
>costs approx $1.8M EXTRA to put someone to death vs. life in prison
>basal revenge as justification for killing someone

no thanks.

myeah coppers, you'll never catch these trips

for financial purposes. what's the point of letting them live if they're just gonna rot in jail anyway.

It costs more to execute people than it does to house them for life.

FIGHT

really?

tell me more.

This man had repeatedly escaped prison and only stopped murdering when he was put to death.

Sometimes it is necessary.

Bullets are cheap and faster than gas or drugs.

Alright that's fair enough

>thinks the expensive part of the death penalty is the actual execution

trial and sentencing cost 500k more on average when you seek the death penalty

housing someone on death row costs 90k more per year than a normal inmate, and the average wait is 15 years.

Definitely is a penalty.

The killer can't kill anyone else if he is dead.

What happens in the wait time? Besides waiting I mean; what's the hold up generally?

It doesn't have to.

So..

no way. that's crazy. and how much for life sentences?

That's because the process is drawn out as fuck and they use super humane methods of killing.

I say reserve the death penalty for cut and dry cases where the evidence is such that it is objectively proven they are guilty and then off them after their last appeal. Also streamline the appeal process for such cases.

Too many death penalty cases where prosecutors overreach just because they can, and the very few innocent death rowers usually make it into the system this way as well.

Why is the average wait time to execution 15 years?

Why you fat lazy american pigs cant do it fast, cheap and clean?

>what's the hold up generally?
The judicial process. People on death row are entitled to appeal their sentence.

>Why does another person need to die in order for people to understand it will equate to nothing?
Beside the fact that this is a question and not reasoning for abandonment of the death penalty, because killers have killed (something that needs a proportional response as defined by our ancestors and the community in general) and it's not fiscally responsible to give murderers a cell for life at a cost to the community that is now two fewer, either way. We're cutting our losses.

YES. They should put to death any person who is texting or checking their phone in traffic. Those people should die.

And that takes 15 years? I assume they can appeal more than once?

Which is a good thing considering the number of wrongful convictions.

it takes 15 years, on average. and there's still a 4% error rate. The shorter the time between the gavel coming down and the lethal injection being administered, the more innocent people we end up killing.

Yes, if your are on death row you can appeal your sentence multiple times.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

We're you trying to use that broken logic?

Is that supposed to be insulting? It might be where you live but you should also know that there is a portion of the U.S. called The Bible Belt. Next time just go with something basic like cuck or faggot. They're not very creative but at least they're effective on a larger audience.

>"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
I don't know if it makes us fully blind but at the least we'd have trouble with depth perception.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, check mate faggot

once you're talking death penalty law, the staff needed is so specialized and the backlog of cases grows so fast that it takes years between many administrative actions

>delay in appointing counsel for direct appeal (3-5 year delay)
>delay in scheduling a case to the State Supreme Court (2.25 years between application and oral argument)
>delay in appointing counsel for the state habeas petition (8-10 year delay)
>delay in deciding the state habeas petition (22 months)
>delay in deciding federal habeas petition (6.2 years)
>delay in appealing the federal habeas petition to the District circuit (2.2 years)

Holy fuck

Yes but only for the most heinous of crimes like raping a child or killing someone and eating them or some shit.

The kind of thing that when you see it you know there is no hope of rehabilitation for this person.

Supreme Court has ruled that the death penalty cannot be applied to people who are guilty of just rape.

What are you even talking about. Your have two eyes. Your get two chances, idiot.

There are some things that being put to death is the only just punishment.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but not because there aren't people who deserve to die. Plenty of people do. The death penalty question isn't a question of whether or not the person deserves to die, it's a question of whether or not the state has the authority to kill them. My opinion is that no state should be granted the power to kill its citizens.

I make obvious exceptions for immediate threats i.e. police actions when it's unavoidable in the name of defending themselves and others. But when you have someone safely in custody, you are deciding their fate. Death should not be an available option to the state.

> but what if it's reeeeeally bad
The problem is, from that point forward it's all a matter of deciding what "really bad" is. I say no, period.

I'm for anything that gets the highway moving faster.