So Sup Forums, I've got this stepkid. He's 19, graduated from high school last year. He's not in college...

So Sup Forums, I've got this stepkid. He's 19, graduated from high school last year. He's not in college, works 28 hours a week, acts like a child in all ways. Should I be charging his ass rent? His mother and I have been together since he was 11. She thinks he's a baby and strongly opposes making him pay for or do anything. What's the consensus view on grown-ass adults living at home for free?

bump for advice

charge that faggot

I thought so. That was my parents' rule. Be in school or pay rent. I don't want to be too harsh insofar as he's not mine - but he has no relationship with his birth father. I'm the major earner in the household and I'm getting used by an able-bodied man with a half-time job.

He's only 19, give him a few years. I think if you can drink you have to pay. It takes a while for some kids to grow up.

He's got to learn it's your house and you're rules and if he doesn't like it he can move out. You can't let yourself get used by anyone.

Should I, then, be treating him like a child/ The fucker can spend a few night a week at his girlfriend's house (she has her own place) and spends his time smoking pot and playing video games. If he's too immature to be accountable for his own cost of living, should I also still be grounding him and shit like he's a child? I mean, one or another, no? Either you meet the responsibilities of adulthood or you have the rights of a child.

I went to college got a degree and moved back home and my parents charge me rent so i would charge his NEET ass

I agree - my strategy so far has just been to try to outlast his adolescence. I keep thinking it's getting close and he'll move out then his mother and I can get on with living and in the meantime I've kept the peace. But I'm beginning to think it's not even good for him.

Amen

Parents divorced when I graduated high school. I still live with my dad making about 15.40/hour working 40+ a week and I just have to pay the phone bill and my car. Is this bad? I also help him if he's short on money at the end of the month

That sounds more like you and your dad have a shared living arrangement and as much of a friendship as a parent-child relationship. That's not really the case here. A) he's not really my child and I'm constantly reminded of that and B) he works half-time for minimum wage.

He's got to learn to be a man and get a life because he looks like a faggot.

pic unrelated, but I hear ya

>friendship
We rarely bond though. I work a second shift position and him a first position, same place though. I hardly see him. I only ask cause I tell people I graduated this and I get so much shit for it.

Your house, your rules. He is an adult if he doesn't like living by your standards he can get his own place. Some people need tough love or they will never learn.

Sit the little shit down and explain to him that he wont always have his mommy to leach off of and that he should start acting like a real man and be in a position to take care of her

You only really have the right to control him under your roof. You don't remember being a teenager? Didn't you just wanna get high and fuck your girlfriend. It's not like a few more years of supporting the kid is going to kill you, have a little sympathy. Just make sure he pays for his phone, car insurance, gas, and anything recreational and give him some time to find his way.

Georgie Pudding Pie

OP here - thanks all for the advice. I know there are two distinct view on this and his mother and I happen to hold those two separately from one another. I was really just validating my own view through appeal to public opinion. I was pretty sure I wasn't alone in how I see it.

Charging rent is just going to slow down his leaving. Make him set back a little each check instead.

>be married
>wife has a daughter when she was 18
>by the time wife and I met her daughter was 20
>in college but hasn't decided on her degree
>has never worked a day in her life
>her actual father lets her do whatever she wants with no regard to holding her accountable
>I meet her and I'm like a wrecking ball
>especially last summer with all the election stuff
>found out she STILL hasn't picked a degree and is on year 4? 5? of college
>told her it's time she got off her ass and started working
>ask her what kind of job she would like
>video game related or anime/Manga related
>know there is no way in hell she has a chance at either of those
>went so far as to ask my wife if her daughter is autistic
>world world 3 ensues

Rise that ass hard OP. Don't let him slip and slide.

In the modern era in california; kicking him out amounts to casting him into slavery for the vast majority of the rest of his life... average rent in los angeles: 1900+ for a 1 bedroom. How is anyone supposed to save up for a downpayment on a house when you spend the vast majority of your money on rent?

Sure, as long as he gets to ground you when you make a mistake/have problems. Oh wait, that won't happen, because you're a conceited prick that has to lick up sloppy seconds from a failed relationship to get pussy. Every second that "able bodied man" allows you to screw his mother and live with HIS family is a blessing for you, you are right to pay the majority because you are the ADULT and he needs support to start his life. You're very lucky he works as much as he does and only smokes pot and plays videogames. A pussy bitch like you wouldn't last a second in a family with drug addicts, mental illness, or a kid with a chip on his shoulder. If you haven't learned to make friends with him yet you won't, and you'll forever be at risk of getting punched out by the younger, stronger male. Just remember that if it's YOUR roof it's HIS Mother and in past times your head would be decoration for his pike as a matter of honor.

If the boy is working part time and you start charging him rent... that makes it much less likely that he will be able to move out any time soon.